Grandpa Likes To Squeeze Stuff: Solventless Extracts, Rosin, Pressed Here!

Houston, we have a problem...

full

Front Panel: Opening Too Large

This is the physical problem. The InkBird controller is much smaller than the LKTC-B1-T. I'll solve this with a faceplate clamped with screws to the front panel for testing. I may or may not make a new bottom piece for the case at a later date.

Another problem lies with the temperature control. I'm almost certain that I'll also have it with the Inkbird. The problem is with temperature overshoots. The mass of the heater is much greater than the mass of the beaker and its contents. The heater gets much hotter than the beaker, and this is transferred to the rosin when the heater is turned off. The smaller the volume of the beaker, and what's in it, the worse the problem gets. My small 50ml beaker had an overshoot of 30°C with 11ml rosin and oil in it. The set temperature was 50°C.

To get around this problem, I'll use an oil bath of 300-500ml for the beakers. The added volume should stabilize the temperatures. Note that the volumes I work with will be from about 10ml for 30 capsules to 160 ml for 400 capsules. This magnetic stirrer / hot plate is designed for use up to 1000ml. We'll see how that works out.

The second problem is the reason I'm not investing the time to redesign, and rebuild the case yet. I just want to test everything before I go that far.

Well, the problem is bigger than I initially thought. The faceplate idea will not work as the motor for the stirrer is behind the hole for the temperature controller. The InkBird extends too far into the case. OK, since I need to build a new bottom, front and back for it since this is a single piece of sheet metal, I may as well go all in. I'll use the current power switch for main power to turn on the temperature controller and enable two new switches.

The first will turn on the electronics for the stirring motor.

The second will be between the SSR and heating element so the heat function can be disabled.

full

First Acceptable Parts Placement

I’d be lost.

It's the aesthetics that I'm not so good at. The electrical is a snap. Cutting the holes is just a bit more difficult.

These things are not safe out of the box. They fused the neutral instead of the hot wire. If there's a problem, and the fuse blows, everything will still be live.

hey GT, I love watching you squeeze stuff so much, I put a link in my signature.
Mayday-Mayday-Mayday!!! We have a bag down! I say again, bag down!

Shite happens... :cheesygrinsmiley: I save the blown ones too. My freezer is full of rosin chips...for pucks sake!:rofl:

It doesn’t effect the final product though. Enjoy!

So how do you smoke these chips? is it like smoking hash?

A new start!

Moving to a medical, growing friendly state in the next month or so, can have 18 plants at 3 different stages... 6 flowering over 14", 6 non-flowering over 14" and 6 under 14". Max allowed in harvested home storage is 12 oz. (I guess they allow enough plants to cover those that have both REALLY brown thumbs and REALLY heavy users hehe)

That comes out to one harvest every 7 weeks if you assume 7 weeks seed/veg and 9 weeks flower.

Access must be provided for inspection if asked, and you can direct their exact walking path through your property to the secured grow room. This is specified so people don't think officials can freely wander and violate privacy.

No solvent is allowed for processing, so I can give up ethanol and do flower and rosin instead, so out with the cheaper Dulytek manual press and will get the dabpress 3 x 5, 6 ton.

This legal grow law is one of the TOP reasons why I'm moving, so wow what a commitment and change! I've heard of others saying cannabis has led them to life changes, and now it's right in front of me and HAPPENING!

Actually I'm damn proud of it, and two middle fingers stuck high and mighty to the illegal state I'm leaving behind. My home state, born and bred. Bittersweet, yes, but I'll be moving too fast for the door to hit me on the way out!

Looking forward and pledging to this plant my forever loyalty... sigh.

Where you moving?

So this morning I went to storage to get me something to smoke today. Pulled out a gallon jar of G13 Haze, mostly buds like this one and about 3.5 zips of buds. So I will smoke some today but tomorrow I am going to pull the press out and press some of that jar some of that jar to get me a small batch of Rosin for decarbing. Being a Sativa dom, will be good for a good buzz but not so much for meds. So I will be press some Triple Cheese next week to get me some medical Rosin for decarb and make some Gummies or Caps.

20200523_112041.jpg

G13 Haze, love the flavor and the quick massive buzz.

Can't wait to do some pressing.

hey GT, I love watching you squeeze stuff so much, I put a link in my signature.

So how do you smoke these chips? is it like smoking hash?
Once the puck has been smashed I put them in the freezer until I want to extract further using alcohol. In the freezer picture you can see a jar that’s full of pucks and some Everclear. Anyway, that all gets turned into oil or shatter using grain alcohol. You can see how I do it in pictures in my oil thread below. :love:

So this morning I went to storage to get me something to smoke today. Pulled out a gallon jar of G13 Haze, mostly buds like this one and about 3.5 zips of buds. So I will smoke some today but tomorrow I am going to pull the press out and press some of that jar some of that jar to get me a small batch of Rosin for decarbing. Being a Sativa dom, will be good for a good buzz but not so much for meds. So I will be press some Triple Cheese next week to get me some medical Rosin for decarb and make some Gummies or Caps.

20200523_112041.jpg

G13 Haze, love the flavor and the quick massive buzz.

Can't wait to do some pressing.
you better make sure you put that hog away when any kids come around you don't want a lawsuit on your hands. :rofl: :rofl:

Made this a few weeks back using Sweet Sue's InstantPot method.
Did not use all the product but made me around 70 or so caps. Just did two and about to head out to my son's.
I bought him an early Bday present, a Pastor Machine for making Tacos El Pastor. Today is his first time using it. He has been making them for years without the Vertical machine.
Some have been in the fridge longer than others.
20200523_140646 (2).jpg

20200523_142303 (2).jpg

Y'all have a wonderful Memorial Day. I want to give a shout out to my brothers and sister who I served with in the conflict, not the war. They never did declare Vietnam a war. We "only" lost around 60,000 Americans. No parades for that one. We did our job the government didn't do theirs.

Back
Top Bottom