Grandpa Likes To Squeeze Stuff: Solventless Extracts, Rosin, Pressed Here!

Don't we all...def a game changer and rosin is def the way to go...and sooooo much better than solvent garbage....I'm loving my custom dabpress that's for sure and the dual heaters per plate is def the way to go 2.5x7 and loving them there's a 3f diff max throughout the plate which is amazing as a constant temps for the plates is huge as I've seen some that has a 100f diff which is unacceptable like a single heater plate has and the huge square plates..as u will never get the same consistency due to the massive temp diff they have...as with my plates I can do 1/2oz per press but I can do 20g with bottle tech pressing which works out quite nicely..its great to be able to press fresh rosin weekly or daily whenever u need more and takes no time at all..unless making sauce n diamonds with a heat plate but well worth it if you have enough to do so.....

Not a fan of the inkbird thermocouples. That's my next upgrade after a pressure gauge.

I know the inkbirds are a popular choice but if anyone knows of a compatible k-type thread in thermocouple I'm all ears.
U Should get a digital pressure gauge they are soooooo much better esp if you want to have consistent presses much easier vs trying to see between the lines on a 10,000psi gauge when ea line is 250psi so good luck with that ...

I want to cut down the number of presses after last week's production. I have the Dabpress 40mm dia mold. The 2.5" bags are a little too small for the pucks made with it. I've contacted a Canadian company that offers custom sizes, to find out what 6" bags, and a 200" roll would cost. The bags could have the bottoms cut out, and the sleeve cut in half, as I do for the 30mm mold with 2" x 4" bags.

I promised in another thread that I'd do a comparison of 7gm / 30mm pucks and 14gm / 40 mm pucks. Here are the results:

full

Rosin, Hot off the Press

Puck(s)1 x 7gm 30mm2 x 7gm 30mm1 x 14gm 40mm2 x 14gm 40mm
Plate Temp190°F / 88°C190°F / 88°C190°F / 88°C190°F / 88°C
Stage 1 Pressure1450 PSI2900 PSI2900 PSI4350 PSI
Stage 1 Time1 min 30 sec1 min 30 sec1 min 30 sec1 min 30 sec
Stage 2 Pressure2900 PSI4350 PSI4350 PSI5800 PSI
Stage 2 Time2 min2 min2 min2 min
Gross2.72 gm3.65 gm3.22 gm4.49 gm
Tare1.76 gm1.78 gm1.76 gm1.74 gm
Net0.96 gm1.87 gm1.46 gm2.75 gm
Return13.7%13.4%10.4%9.8%
Press Results

These presses were done to determine the puck capacity of my press with 3" x 5" plates. With two pucks, the sides of the parchment may need to be folded up if you have a high yield. The lower return from the 14 gm pucks is probably due to my lack of experience with them. I'm unwilling to gain more experience until I acquire some appropriately sized filter bags. The 40mm pucks are a PITA to insert into the 2.5" bags. It can be done, but it is difficult and time consuming.

I promised in another thread that I'd do a comparison of 7gm / 30mm pucks and 14gm / 40 mm pucks. Here are the results:

full

Rosin, Hot off the Press

Press Results

These presses were done to determine the puck capacity of my press with 3" x 5" plates. With two pucks, the sides of the parchment may need to be folded up if you have a high yield. The lower return from the 14 gm pucks is probably due to my lack of experience with them. I'm unwilling to gain more experience until I acquire some appropriately sized filter bags. The 40mm pucks are a PITA to insert into the 2.5" bags. It can be done, but it is difficult and time consuming.
Nice work! I'd love to see more squishing for your averaging, within your categories. Maybe add the temperature you ran.
:high-five:

Nice work! I'd love to see more squishing for your averaging, within your categories. Maybe add the temperature you ran.
:high-five:

The temp for all presses was 190°F. The table above was edited to include the temp.

full

Rosin, Hot off the Press

Press Results

Have you tried using a plastic card to open the bag with and slide the puck in that way..if not put it in sideways and then turn it when it's in the bag....if not you could always do what I'm going to do is make your own bags and call it a day..I can get 48 2x6 bags made from 1yard of mesh...a lil time consuming but once you get the hang of it not much at all esp if you make them 3ft long and then cut your bags apart would be quick and easy...and any cheap sewing machine will work to do it..I have a patchwork machine that has 100 diff types of stitching which is great and can find what will work best as in no blow outs but also not stealing ur rosin from the thread.. however I wonder if some really fine fishing line would work instead food grade monofilament bobbins..

Have you tried using a plastic card to open the bag with and slide the puck in that way..if not put it in sideways and then turn it when it's in the bag....if not you could always do what I'm going to do is make your own bags and call it a day..I can get 48 2x6 bags made from 1yard of mesh...a lil time consuming but once you get the hang of it not much at all esp if you make them 3ft long and then cut your bags apart would be quick and easy...and any cheap sewing machine will work to do it..I have a patchwork machine that has 100 diff types of stitching which is great and can find what will work best as in no blow outs but also not stealing ur rosin from the thread.. however I wonder if some really fine fishing line would work instead food grade monofilament bobbins..

I've given the sideways insertion / rotate method a try. I can't rotate the puck. Another concern is the stretching that occurs. If the bag is too tight the fibers will stretch an increase the opening size. You also are much more likely to have a blow out.

Another concern is the stretching that occurs. If the bag is too tight the fibers will stretch an increase the opening size.
Wouldn't this just happen naturally as the puck expands when squished?
:hmmmm:

Especially under heat.

Sounds like you should just make your own as well plus it's a hell of alot cheaper too

I was thinking of that. I have a RFQ in to a company to find the cost. To make my own, I need to invest in the tools required.

I use a plastic card that came with a bag of Dulytek rosin bags. They work well, but it is a pain sometimes. So, is squishing a single puck more efficient? If the pressure is unevenly applied, when doin 2? I don’t know, but I like this science stuff.

Wouldn't this just happen naturally as the puck expands when squished?
:hmmmm:

Especially under heat.

Yes, but if the bag is a little looser it won't need to stretch as much so you have less of a chance at a blow out.

I was thinking of that. I have a RFQ in to a company to find the cost. To make my own, I need to invest in the tools required.
I’ve seriously considered it myself. My wife has experimented with sewing some from remnants I’ve used. It’s quick and fairly easy if you have a good sewing machine. She knew what she was doing.

I don't know. I need to run a l or two through the press to find out. That will need to wait for another harvest.

Ya u can pick up a used sewing machine from like Craigslist or letgo etc which is what I did..the patchwork I got was $30 and it's a 300 machine..ya having some sewing experience does help which I have years doing numerous jobs and went to school for trim and upholstery as well so I can help if u have any questions but really not much to sewing up a bag just diff ways to do so...the patchwork machines are great as they have different patterns and it's just one pass still like a single stich machine is but can have lots of patterns..you mainly need a machine that has a foot pedal would be your best bet..you do not need anything fancy esp for sewing up a mesh bag..not like your sewing leather or deniem so you don't need much...and if a patchwork type machine isn't cheap in your area you can get a plain sewing machine..always remember to back stitch your bags at the start and the end..

I don't know. I need to run a l or two through the press to find out. That will need to wait for another harvest.

I would love to be your neighbor.

edit: I’d always be coming over and asking to borrow a cup of rosin... :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom