Grandpa Likes To Squeeze Stuff: Solventless Extracts, Rosin, Pressed Here!

I have some 1/4-sheet pans. One of them would probably work.

So far the paper from last week, and the two from yesterday are still pretty much that same honey consistency they were. Huh, you mean oil doesn't freeze in a freezer or deep freeze? Who'd a thunk! :rofl:

It all depends on the strain and how it was grown. Some plants just don’t want to produce well and some are incredible. Some are really waxy and some are like oil.
I’ve been meaning to ask is there a correlation between rosin consistency and content (ie: cannabinoids and terps) ?
Colour, yes. There is plant material in the darker presses. I’m wondering about the difference between a rosin which is quite tacky and spreadable at room temperature (I use stripes in joints), compared to one which sets like glass and isn’t even sticky unless it’s warm.
The glassier one, btw, seems more potent to me.

is there a correlation between rosin consistency and content

This is the million dollar question EVERYone wants to know :) So far the best answer I've found is to do whatever you do until you find something that works consistently, then stick with it. Easier said than done has never been more appropriate! lol

I just started pressing a few weeks ago for the first time, and have been getting mixed results. The last press I did (190F) I went REALLY slow, then once I had about 500 lbs pressure I backed it off and repositioned the bag a little. Then I did my full press (mine is 7 ton) and waited about twice as long as I normally do. Finally pulled over 1g out of 7g cured (leafy) flower. I love doing presses, it means less trimming and more dabbing! This thread a few months ago got me excited about pressing for the first time.
Not sure why I felt like I needed to chime in here, it’s none of my business, but man I felt that pain when I read it.

Yea idk if i got the wrong press or if i jus need to get/add a pressure gauge to mine but it dnt have one so idk what im doing exactly for pressure but i jus do it slowly. I go till the little i puck i made is snug inbetween the plates then i squish alil at time jus do like 2 or 3 pumps of the lever then hold it for like 10 to 15 sec then slowly start squishing till its pressed all the way dwn then i jus go till the bubbles stop popping out n i set the plates at about 210°f to 214°f an it seems to come out nicely. Idk if the press i got can add a guage to it or not but it would be nice 2 get one down the line if i can otherwise its not exactly needed really i jus dnt no how else i could fine tune it to keep the results getting better each time. Ive started now to write dwn the temps n time how long i squish each run in hopes of getting it better. Ive managed to get the last few presses i did to not turn out so dark as the first 2 or 3 presses i did. An now they are coming out all nice yellowish to golden amber colored altho i did get like a peanut buttered colored run but man did it taste gud. Idk why tht one turned out like a peanut butter n the others turned out more yellowy/golden colored but both get u ripped so im happy lol. Im excited to try out my Zkittles n the white White Rhino with the press oh boy those shud be some gud ones cuz they got even more resin on them then the Bluedream i jus did had. But yea this has been one of the best investments ive ever gotten lol.

OK, played with the press. Set out 10g of blue dream, and 10g of durban poison.

The blue dream is fully cured. Finished the 6-week period a out 3 weeks ago. It’s been stored in an air tight container with a 62% boveda. It was sticky, and squeezed well in the hand.

The durban just finished drying last week, and I set a couple zips aside specifically for this. It is sticky as fuck. It makes the blue dream look like the sahara. It’s just ridiculous. Not that I, or anyone else, would mind of course. :laugh:

“Oh, my weed it is too sticky.”

(said no stoner ever. :rofl:)

I have more pics than what I’m about to share, but I’m on my phone and hopefully this will do. (Grab a beverage if you need it.)

DC8A91C2-E7CD-47F7-B320-2BBA82100E62.jpeg

10g of blue, ready to pre-press.

8F4F62A9-B1D0-4851-AE23-336A1CE6FA5E.jpeg

Image of puck/paper #1. 190F on the plates (heat gun), 4k pressure at the gauge. Slick cap for scale reference.

7918D308-25B3-4D09-BFD4-C2FE60941F6A.jpeg

9C4D536B-A1FC-4E9E-B6AA-1EC82CC5AA52.jpeg

3/10ths of a gram. Could be 0.30, could be 0.38, dunno.

The second puck was a out the same, maybe a tick less. 10g flower, not super old, <10%. Damn.

Next up, the durban. 180F, working up to, and maintaining, 2k on the pump gauge.

16B4656F-EC22-4644-B30F-3BD699A36C83.jpeg

Well, that seems promising.

0B93A74F-EAC8-4874-B8F4-62C9ECD18632.jpeg

OK, looks can be deceiving.

It looks nice, but can’t get it off the paper. It’s like honey consistency. Ever try pushing rope? :laugh:

No idea the weight there, but maybe it’s not bad.

297AE578-7FAD-486A-97DC-29BBBB1869CF.jpeg

Second puck. On this one, I used a 120micron bag

AC346129-6091-43B7-B01E-00B972A2F4B8.jpeg

After 19m17s (had the timer running) of trying to scrape it up, it just smears

10B5FD9C-7A6C-4344-B072-C8E6CE76094C.jpeg

What I did manage to smear up is as big in size as what I got off the blue dream, and most of it is still on the paper.

Needless to say, the temple balls remain intact for now

I think the second round with durban was better on return, but I can’t say for sure. It looks like it, but I can’t get the rosin goo off the paper much.

I have the same problem so i put the parchement paper on a plate n put it in the freezer for alil bit till the plate is nice an cold n the rosin is all hard then i jus take my paper clip n tack it all up n into those little rubber/silicone dab caps. An if it starts getting all smeary again then jus back into the freezer to harden n do it all over again till u get it all scraped up.

Interesting.

I did order one of the "screw down" type pre-press molds yesterday, and it will be here tomorrow. The dabpress one is pretty heavy for its size. One of those things you pick up and almost drop because actual weight is more than it looks kinda deal.

But we'll see. Been making 5g pucks just for testing. Should I double that? 5g in my 30mm pre-press ends up almost to the top plate on its own. Maybe the screw down will help or something.

Or I could just fill the pre-press, smash a little, then put it in the vice. :laugh:

By looks, what I squished yesterday (last 2) seemed about right. Just can't get it off the paper. Oh well, throw the paper in some oil for sec and it will come off. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I've had another sheet like that in the freezer since last weekend. Still just a thick syrup that just smears.

I'm not sure why that is, though. Extraction temp? On the second puck of the second batch I knocked it down 10F and it was a tick thicker. Still couldn't scrape it up, but it at least tried to a little better than the first.

I guess one thing is known. It sure ain't water. :rofl:

Hmm tht sux u cant tack it up even with the freezer idk maybe some strains have more of a waxy consistency or maybe some jus have more fats an unwanted lipids then others so need a different temp an presure setting.

This is the million dollar question EVERYone wants to know :) So far the best answer I've found is to do whatever you do until you find something that works consistently, then stick with it. Easier said than done has never been more appropriate! lol
Thanks Brian :high-five:
I’m surprised no-one has had the tests run? I’ll get it done down under if the law ever comes right.
Cheers :peace::love:

I’ve been meaning to ask is there a correlation between rosin consistency and content (ie: cannabinoids and terps) ?
Colour, yes. There is plant material in the darker presses. I’m wondering about the difference between a rosin which is quite tacky and spreadable at room temperature (I use stripes in joints), compared to one which sets like glass and isn’t even sticky unless it’s warm.
The glassier one, btw, seems more potent to me.
I think the short answer is yes. Definitely a correlation between consistency and content. Not sure about potency, but definitely cannabinoids and terps etc. I’ve squeezed several types of weed and hash and there are some that just squeeze so perfectly and collect like a dream (my glue is one of those) and then there are those that, even though potent weed, just won’t squeeze into rosin well. I’ve tried different temps, different times, and little experiments with the weed I grow, but I really believe we’re only touching the surface. However, for my personal use and experience, this has been so much fun to learn and try. I pretty much only ingest rosin in one form or another nowadays. We need more experiments...for science! :love: :ganjamon:

Hear ye! Hear ye!

Step right up and catch a buzz for science!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Let’s do a science! “Mars Rover” :laugh:

Dayum! That’s a great looking puck! What was the starting weight of the puck?

I did order one of the screw down pre press molds, so I have that to mess with next time too.

Oh yes, remember those sheets that were pure sap? I let them sit (well, brushed them off is more like it) for a couple days. 95% of it came right up.

No idea why. Wasn’t water, that would have froze. Temp of the rosin? I’d think the cold would have done a number on that. Who knows, but I got 2.3g from the two pucks of 5g each. That is ok to me from flower. Yepper. Nice peanut butter color too.

The starting weight, with stems and everything, was 15 grams of flower. I split that in half and took out most of the stems. I didn’t weigh them, but I would imaging each puck weighed around 6-7 grams. :headbanger:

Shout out to @Dulytek for sending out free gifts for posting their press in any forum (they also sent a big glass flattening press) and quickly. Couldn’t be happier with their 7ton and I’m just getting started with it. Had my first press where the rosin ran off the sheet- the best mess I ever made :laughtwo:
60A541AC-2AF2-4BAE-81A8-0B25B6F8BB12.jpeg
AFCF743B-29B4-4DD3-BF27-9245100E65D4.jpeg

Gorilla Glue #4 autoflower Outdoor from @ 2 months ago, cured. Very tasty

Shout out to @Dulytek for sending out free gifts (for posting their press in any forum) and quickly. Couldn’t be happier with their 7ton and I’m just getting started with it. Had my first press where the rosin ran off the sheet- the best mess I ever made :laughtwo:

Gorilla Glue #4 Outdoor from @ 3 months ago, cured. Very tasty
Nice!:thumb:

Shout out to @Dulytek for sending out free gifts for posting their press in any forum (they also sent a big glass flattening press) and quickly. Couldn’t be happier with their 7ton and I’m just getting started with it. Had my first press where the rosin ran off the sheet- the best mess I ever made :laughtwo:

Gorilla Glue #4 autoflower Outdoor from @ 2 months ago, cured. Very tasty
Heck yeah! I’d hit it!

Back
Top Bottom