Grandpa Likes To Squeeze Stuff: Solventless Extracts, Rosin, Pressed Here!

I had to get a press in, I decided to break down the last bud of some ATF I was going to smoke. It was an excellent smoke but I figured it would be be an even better dab.

IT WAS AWESOME!!!

I also decided to give the no-bag press a try. It was great. I got minimal pieces of material in the rosin. I was able to pick it away easily. I spent far less time taking the spent puck and pieces out than having to prep a bag and pack it. This saves money too. For personal use, I see no reason why this could not be a normal method of doing it.

2.1 g with a 0.3 g yield @ 190°

Ok...before I go update my journal. I'll leave some info here that I won't leave there.

Pressed some GSC from my outdoor plant that I harvested at 52 days. Some pics of how they looked out of the bag and into jars. Then trimmed up before the press.

Pressed at 190° for 40 sec with minimal pressure. Then 3 minutes with too much pressure. Oops.

It is still not cured so I still got a hint of that uncured/grassy taste. Very mild but not preferred. I hope that disappears after a full proper cure.

Ok...how do I avoid getting a bunch of flower stuck to these molds?!

Brings us to 9.3% return. At least it's not 8%!

After settling on the press plate while it cools. Sweet!

It does not have a strong terp profile or flavor. Not sure if that is because of where it is in the cure or if it is environmental influences on the plant. It is a mellow, pleasant, and uplifting experience. I also didn't take a huge rip so I'm not completely locked into the couch. I'll be giving it a proper rip later this evening.

I dialed the e-nail to 390° so I can try and find the terps. I was able to get a little bit of spice and pine. It had an ever so sweet earthy aroma. Not much...but that's what my brain brought forward.

Ok...before I go update my journal. I'll leave some info here that I won't leave there.

Pressed some GSC from my outdoor plant that I harvested at 52 days. Some pics of how they looked out of the bag and into jars. Then trimmed up before the press.

Pressed at 190° for 40 sec with minimal pressure. Then 3 minutes with too much pressure. Oops.

It is still not cured so I still got a hint of that uncured/grassy taste. Very mild but not preferred. I hope that disappears after a full proper cure.

Brings us to 9.3% return. At least it's not 8%!

After settling on the press plate while it cools. Sweet!

It does not have a strong terp profile or flavor. Not sure if that is because of where it is in the cure or if it is environmental influences on the plant. It is a mellow, pleasant, and uplifting experience. I also didn't take a huge rip so I'm not completely locked into the couch. I'll be giving it a proper rip later this evening.

I dialed the e-nail to 390° so I can try and find the terps. I was able to get a little bit of spice and pine. It had an ever so sweet earthy aroma. Not much...but that's what my brain brought forward.
Trial and error , you never know if you don’t try . I stick with the 2 to 2-1/2 minutes at 190* and have never been over 5000 psi . I throw my pucks in a jar and when I do Grandpa Tokin’s oil thread for my sugar leaves add the pucks to make shatter . I felt cooking too long takes away from the high .

Trial and error , you never know if you don’t try . I stick with the 2 to 2-1/2 minutes at 190* and have never been over 5000 psi . I throw my pucks in a jar and when I do Grandpa Tokin’s oil thread for my sugar leaves add the pucks to make shatter . I felt cooking too long takes away from the high .
Thanks Hippie! That's why I'm only pressing little amounts right now. Trial and error! I don't have a way to measure pressure with my unit. Compared to the first time I tried the GSC pressed, it is smoother. So it seems safe to assume the cure is working and it's getting better. Also, I can choose to cure the rosin too right? I have a hot plate I wad going to utilize to try and make diamonds and whatever else I can experiment with.

But how does that flash frozen live resin stuff come out so flavorful?! They capture the plants pure essence in that moment. And we are simply trying to get a portion of that through the dry and cure process. Makes me think it would be worth figuring out how to accomplish that without investing into it.

Thanks Hippie! That's why I'm only pressing little amounts right now. Trial and error! I don't have a way to measure pressure with my unit. Compared to the first time I tried the GSC pressed, it is smoother. So it seems safe to assume the cure is working and it's getting better. Also, I can choose to cure the rosin too right? I have a hot plate I wad going to utilize to try and make diamonds and whatever else I can experiment with.

But how does that flash frozen live resin stuff come out so flavorful?! They capture the plants pure essence in that moment. And we are simply trying to get a portion of that through the dry and cure process. Makes me think it would be worth figuring out how to accomplish that without investing into it.
I wished @Northern Hydro was back , she’d have the answers to all of your questions.
Do you mean decarb the rosin ?

I wished @Northern Hydro was back , she’d have the answers to all of your questions.
Do you mean decarb the rosin ?
No...as in getting further development from the rosin itself. As it evaporates, it concentrates.

Ohhh...I forgot to mention! I was able to pick up one of those hot plate magnet stirrer units. I want to try and make some vape cartridges too.

I would be able to use this machine to decarb the rosin should I have the need.

No...as in getting further development from the rosin itself. As it evaporates, it concentrates.

Ohhh...I forgot to mention! I was able to pick up one of those hot plate magnet stirrer units. I want to try and make some vape cartridges too.

I would be able to use this machine to decarb the rosin should I have the need.
Sorry I’m one of those that once I squeeze it gets put in the silicon cups and decarb in the oven (240 degrees) and on to the capsules .
I use the magnetic stirrer for mixing the cco and the rosin , no heat needed . Helps cool it to put in the capsules .
Hadn’t seen anyone decarb with a hot plate yet .

Sorry I’m one of those that once I squeeze it gets put in the silicon cups and decarb in the oven (240 degrees) and on to the capsules .
I use the magnetic stirrer for mixing the cco and the rosin , no heat needed . Helps cool it to put in the capsules .
Hadn’t seen anyone decarb with a hot plate yet .
I'm glad you mentioned this. I too would like to incorporate the capsules since I don't want to always smoke. I am curious about the quantity and potency. Do you dilute your oil in any way before going into capsules?

cco?

I'll have to find the video but it was a while ago. Ran the stirrer at 225 I believe for an hour. He diluted it down though. I can't remember what it was. It wasn't regular coconut oil either. It seemed thicker.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I too would like to incorporate the capsules since I don't want to always smoke. I am curious about the quantity and potency. Do you dilute your oil in any way before going into capsules?

cco?

I'll have to find the video but it was a while ago. Ran the stirrer at 225 I believe for an hour. He diluted it down though. I can't remember what it was. It wasn't regular coconut oil either. It seemed thicker.
The capsules save what lungs I have left . I use the stirrer just to keep it mixed , had some knock my ass out and some mild ones in one batch .
I have one with a stirrer and heat but when I tried to cool it the stirrer would quit mixing and just stop . The second one I bought with out the heat since I use the oven never quits stirring. GT used a toaster oven for decarb . I’ve got this habit of pressing 2 ounces for each decarb . 100 mL cco with a tablespoon of sunflower letchen . Cco is pretty thick .

Cut a couple of discs of greaseproof paper and put them either end of your puck pre-press
:thumb:

It is a mellow, pleasant, and uplifting experience

:high-five:

I don't have a way to measure pressure with my unit

You have your tactile sense of where your press feels like it is taking up slack, tightening up on stuff, or getting to its limit. Listen to that stuff. It’s repeatable. (Putting the Ah! back into Craft!)

getting further development from the rosin itself. As it evaporates, it concentrates.

When you have it in its container stir it up as if to whip it. It is of course too thick to do this with. If you then put it in the fridge overnight you will (sometimes) have made it a more buttery texture than glassy treacle. Something to try.

You have your tactile sense of where your press feels like it is taking up slack, tightening up on stuff, or getting to its limit. Listen to that stuff. It’s repeatable. (Putting the Ah! back into Craft!)
LOVE IT!!! I gotcha. That's basically what I have been doing so far. No other choice really. So far, I am consistently using too much pressure. Especially with trying it with no bag. Seems to make sense to me that without the resistance of a bag, it would require less pressure on straight flower. I didn't really equate that. Just had another few puffs off that GSC and all I can say is I am looking forward to smashing the hell out of this plant when that time comes. She's going to be dripping!!!

GSC #7!!!

What do you all got growing that will be pressed next?

Great looking smoosh. Mind sharing details about the variety, weight, and return? How about the flavor? I know we chatted about it before but I still get a little bit of a planty and herbaceous finish to the test buds I have tried that haven't fully cured. I did read something that said to back off the pressure quite a bit for fresher material.

Great looking smoosh. Mind sharing details about the variety, weight, and return? How about the flavor? I know we chatted about it before but I still get a little bit of a planty and herbaceous finish to the test buds I have tried that haven't fully cured. I did read something that said to back off the pressure quite a bit for fresher material.
% return is a lie when it comes to reporting rosin results.. as the water content can rig those numbers dramatically ..
was 14.xx grams and yield 1.94 gra.. about 13.75% .. slow bring up pressure .. about 6500 at very end
at 1 min up to 2000 at 2 mins at 5000 last 20 seconds 6500.. 2.30 to 2.45 mins.. 195 f temp and dab press
120 micron rosin bag.. use rosin bags.. think the 90 gives a better taste over 120 dont know how much u lose..

depends how stoned i am at the time to .. lol

i should try west's 5500 max.. but i want more gue!!!

% return is a lie when it comes to reporting rosin results.. as the water content can rig those numbers dramatically ..
was 14.xx grams and yield 1.94 gra.. about 13.75% .. slow bring up pressure .. about 6500 at very end
at 1 min up to 2000 at 2 mins at 5000 last 20 seconds 6500.. 2.30 to 2.45 mins.. 195 f temp and dab press
120 micron rosin bag.. use rosin bags.. think the 90 gives a better taste over 120 dont know how much u lose..

depends how stoned i am at the time to .. lol

i should try west's 5500 max.. but i want more gue!!!

I jar it and I save that extra gue for here

A couple examples of the buds from the GSC #1 harvest. Still hovering just above 75% in the bag. We are still a week away before going into jars is my guess. I really would like to squeeze some as soon as I can get to the 62-65% mark.

I can't make up my mind if I should squish a large amount of it as soon as it hits the 62% mark or cure it until the 6 week mark and then squish. I'm not certain if waiting for a cure matters with trichomes or more for the flavor and aroma of the plant material. It seems to me the process of extracting the oil, the terpenes should ready at any point...right?!

75% still seems damp to me, BA. I’d be inclined to let that dry more before sealing it up. Another 12 hrs in a paper bag in the fridge (for me) and those buds will be in the zone.

I was going to say you’re right don’t worry about curing but you want it drier than that. Optimally, below 68%.
:thumb:

Another 12 hrs in a paper bag in the fridge (for me) and those buds will be in the zone.
What is your fridge set at?! Mine seems to be drying these very slowly. Like I said, I'm guessing a week before I get anywhere near the low 60% for these.

Back
Top Bottom