Grandpa Likes To Squeeze Stuff: Solventless Extracts, Rosin, Pressed Here!

The only rosin I am familiar with is what I make myself, and what I see on here. My question is about it's consistency.
When I make it, it looks a little like honey. Some that I see looks very different, examples include what Mycelium Farmer posted and some Delta posted a while back.
Is it just whipped up while it's still warm or is there some other reason for it's appearance? And why do that?

The only rosin I am familiar with is what I make myself, and what I see on here. My question is about it's consistency.
When I make it, it looks a little like honey. Some that I see looks very different, examples include what Mycelium Farmer posted and some Delta posted a while back.
Is it just whipped up while it's still warm or is there some other reason for it's appearance? And why do that?

humidity of the bud

Hi to the infamous wonder that is Grandpa!

I'm super excited to be over here and actually have the ability to utilize this amazing information. Problem is, I'm a noob to the press and I'm reviewing one and I'd love some guidance or helpful tips from the Master if you wouldn't mind.

In addition, I have a terminally ill Aunt who is Stage IV metastatic cervical cancer. She wants desperately to give up all treatments; her children and family, her brother in my father and my mother would prefer her not.

She is in terrible shape, under 85#. Can't eat. Can't sleep. Can't taste. Has no energy, can barely get up out of bed. 9 years into treatment. I'm hoping an RSO salvage could save her. I'm curious on capsule making and if you can find any time at all, I'd love to be able to chat with you some more in detail on any or all of the aforementioned.

I'd greatly appreciate any and all help, direction and guidance.

I'm squeezing at 62% if the packs are doing their job. I don't desire to change the rosin. Just trying to understand the difference in appearance. I thought you used 62% as well.

hi bro.. im not an expert. the older the bud gets the less rosin you get .. i find the gue changes with time lower
percentage return 15 % at 3 weeks and 11% at 10 weeks.. etc..

temp on the plate, time under pressure and filter can effect too.. do you use a gauge and stop watch ?

In addition, I have a terminally ill Aunt who is Stage IV metastatic cervical cancer. She wants desperately to give up all treatments; her children and family, her brother in my father and my mother would prefer her not.

She is in terrible shape, under 85#. Can't eat. Can't sleep. Can't taste. Has no energy, can barely get up out of bed. 9 years into treatment. I'm hoping an RSO salvage could save her. I'm curious on capsule making and if you can find any time at all, I'd love to be able to chat with you some more in detail on any or all of the aforementioned.

I'd greatly appreciate any and all help, direction and guidance.
Can't help you on the squish but I highly recommend you peruse Susan's threads on cannabis and cancer. She was an amazing source of scientific information during her many years on the site. You can find her full list of threads here:

hi bro.. im not an expert. the older the bud gets the less rosin you get .. i find the gue changes with time lower
percentage return 15 % at 3 weeks and 11% at 10 weeks.. etc..

temp on the plate, time under pressure and filter can effect too.. do you use a gauge and stop watch ?
No on the gauge.

I've found my sweet spot for now is 190F, 160 micron bag.

I've squeezed four different strains, and two different strains of bubble hash with a finer bag. Two of the strains were squeezed after cure. The other two were older flower.

I squeeze two pucks at a time with each puck coming from 6-6.5 gr of flower.

I also think I have found "my best method", no gauge or stopwatch needed:

After putting the pucks in between the pre heated plates and letting it sit for less than a minute
I start pumping the handle very very slowly. Think as slow as you can and slow down some more.
The whole process takes a few minutes and the handle is pulled with a minimum pressure, just enough to make it move.
When the plates are very close together, it becomes noticeably harder to pull. I pull a a little more and stop.

I have now gone through more than forty filter bags and I cut them in half.

All the rosin I've made has the same consistency.
Some is dark and some is light.
The bubble hash rosin is several degrees stickier than flower rosin.

I think the yield was less with the older flower. I want to say 10 disk equaled 9 grams so it would have been less than 10%.

I think I'm getting more with the just cured flower but haven't weighed the disk.
I have another squeeze left of the Vanilla Kush, I set aside for rosin. I will take a picture and weigh all the finished disk so I'll get a better idea of yield of fresher flower. Plus the Kush is better candidate for concentrates than the Hawaii Maui Waui sativa.

Vanilla Kush
144 gr flower squeezed to yield 12 rosin disk
Haven't weighed yet. One more squeeze of 12 gr to finish the flower set aside for rosin making. Will probably do it tomorrow and if I remember I'll weigh them. :rolleyes:

VK rosin 144gr flower.JPG

Rosin made from 144 grams of Vanilla Kush flower.

Weight on rosin made from Vanilla Kush above.
I did the final press of VK yesterday so I got 13 rosin disk
13 disk = 156 grams of flower=13.2 grams rosin.

I've now got quite a stash of rosin in the freezer, each disk wrapped in parchment papter, in a baggie, in a sealed tupperware. Near 40 disk of Black Domina, Hawaii Maui, and Vanilla Kush. Plus bubble hash rosin from Black Domina and Hawaii Maui Waui. I hope it keeps well in the freezer, I'm committed.

I may have a problem with the Dabpress.
After the last squeeze, I noticed a small amount of oil under it. Busted seal on the jack? I don't really plan on more pressing for several months. The current grows have to be harvested and cured.

Have any of you experienced the oil leak? If so, what was the outcome?

I've now got quite a stash of rosin in the freezer, each disk wrapped in parchment papter, in a baggie, in a sealed tupperware. Near 40 disk of Black Domina, Hawaii Maui, and Vanilla Kush. Plus bubble hash rosin from Black Domina and Hawaii Maui Waui. I hope it keeps well in the freezer, I'm committed.

After the last squeeze, I noticed a small amount of oil under it. Busted seal on the jack? I don't really plan on more pressing for several months. The current grows have to be harvested and cured.

I'll keep the recent pressings in the refrigerator for a week or so before adding them to the tupperware in the freezer.

just to make it more visible .. you should calculate the % rosin from every press... wt rosin divided by wt pot x100

8.5% ( 13.2 / 156 ) is on the lower side.... u get what you get from your plant..

i had a blue berry plant last yr yield was even lower .. dont need to grow that ..

so far the do si do has yield the most rosin 18%

just to make it more visible .. you should calculate the % rosin from every press... wt rosin divided by wt pot x100

8.5% ( 13.2 / 156 ) is on the lower side.... u get what you get from your plant..

i had a blue berry plant last yr yield was even lower .. dont need to grow that ..

so far the do si do has yield the most rosin 18%
More than anything else, my delving into rosin making , resulted from having too much flower leftover from the previous grow, when the current grow is ready to go in the jars.

Now I'm determining how much of the harvest to keep for smoke and the rest will either be made into rosin or bubble hash.
For now, I separate my buds into; big buds for smoke, med buds?, small buds for rosin, fluffy buds and the rest for bubble hash. I still have another 1/4lb of med Vanilla Kush buds, plus 2.5 jars of big VK buds (top colas).

I bring this up to say that, I have plenty and wouldn't even be weighing anything except to post online. I have no idea of my weights unless I am answering a question. Most of my grows were never weighed, I could have told you at the time how many jars i had. :cheesygrinsmiley::rolleyes:

@InTheShed Hey ..

i got some spotting on the leafs around the buds on some plants not others.. im guessing its from the
citric acid soln wash for the pm .. u think buds be ok? heres some pics

Back
Top Bottom