Grandpa Tokin’s Perpetual

That's awesome gramps, any fish in that river?

Great nature shots, GT! When I see river pics like that, I want to grab my 6 wt fly rod and head to the nearest river. :D

Could you comment on my potential setup. Will be my first time doing hydro, and haven’t seen a system like mine. Yours is the only other RDWC with 2 plants I’ve seen.

Attachments

• F80515DF-740A-4DE1-968E-E4E9A974A863.jpeg
    F80515DF-740A-4DE1-968E-E4E9A974A863.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 90
Could you comment on my potential setup. Will be my first time doing hydro, and haven’t seen a system like mine. Yours is the only other RDWC with 2 plants I’ve seen.
Not to turn your perpetual in my Q and A time. You just obviously seem to know wtf you’re doing haha.

I built, but not got to use a system just like that many years ago. You'll need to tie each site into the main feed to get your over current in each tank. IMO though, under current systems have more mechanical potential in that you can reverse the flow of the system so when your roots of each site begin infiltrating the exit pipe, you can reverse the flow of the whole system and now the roots are beginning to overgrow in the water entry side which of course would push the root mass back into the reservoir where you want them. A reversible setup like that would require 2 master tanks, then you just mount your pump in either of the masters and pump into the remaining master.

It saddens me to have never grown in RDWC but in my years, I've never been able to lock down a grow-cation on a cement slab as I refuse to do RDWC on a wooden floor. One day .....

I built, but not got to use a system just like that many years ago. You'll need to tie each site into the main feed to get your over current in each tank. IMO though, under current systems have more mechanical potential in that you can reverse the flow of the system so when your roots of each site begin infiltrating the exit pipe, you can reverse the flow of the whole system and now the roots are beginning to overgrow in the water entry side which of course would push the root mass back into the reservoir where you want them. A reversible setup like that would require 2 master tanks, then you just mount your pump in either of the masters and pump into the remaining master.

It saddens me to have never grown in RDWC but in my years, I've never been able to lock down a grow-cation on a cement slab as I refuse to do RDWC on a wooden floor. One day .....
So would need 4 (2 reservoirs and 2 plants) buckets total? And when the roots start to grow in the direction of the pump, I should switch the bucket the pump is in?

So would need 4 (2 reservoirs and 2 plants) buckets total? And when the roots start to grow in the direction of the pump, I should switch the bucket the pump is in?

yes. 4 buckets for 2 plants, 5 bucket for 3 plants etc. The pump moves water from one and to the other so the end and the beginning is redefined as you need to and not being a closed loop system, you can empty from the low side when changing things out weekly or whenever.

That's awesome gramps, any fish in that river?

Oh yes! Lots of fish. Mostly trout. It’s fly fishing heaven. Much of this particular river is designated fly only. Where I’m taking the picture from is a huge wildlife sanctuary. It’s a great place to see nature and it’s 5 minutes from my house. I’m lucky. In so many ways.

I designed mine for undercurrent. There was no waterfall effect. It just continually pumped and slowly flowed. My roots got huge, but not that bad and I did add stainless mesh to each inlet and outlet just in case, but it never got unmanageable.

I like skybounds idea. Mine was very simple but it works.

Back
Top Bottom