Granny needs help with ventilation setup

grannyT

I don't know at all how to put in an inline fan or exhaust fan.......this is for the empty tent in the picture....I do think it should come out of the top just because it prolly easier....??? In the picture showing both tents,, in the short tent I used a flange with a inline fan like the one in the picture from the top. Need 8 inch for the top of empty one... should I use duct tubing ? What kind of fan ???The bottom has 3 mesh vents..oh forgot and empty tent is 4x4 , 70 something tall. That's all I can think of right now. Thanks :thanks: I'm having a problem with pictures, please bare with me....can't cancel my post, it won't do it.

Re: Granny needs help with ventilation setup....

I'm guessing you've already read this, but I'll post it up just in case:Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

Most growers pull air in from the bottom and exhaust out the top. This is so you're pulling in the cooler air form the bottom of the room and blowing the hot air out of the top of your tent. Basically, you'll want to calculate the cubic feet of your tent and then decide on how many times per minute you want the air exchanged. I think most people say once or twice per minute is ideal. So if we assume your tent is 6 feet tall, your dimensions are 4x4x6 which gives us 96 cubic feet of air in your tent. So you'll want a fan rated between 100-200 CFM (CFM = cubic feet per minute).

I dont think you necessarily need an 8" fan just because you have an 8" opening. I think most tents have the cinch socks where you can tighten them down to adjust for the size ducting you're using. As for the ducting, just normal flex duct should work fine. Stay away from the new "semi rigid" stuff they are selling at the bix box stores. Its a serious pain in the buttocks to work with. Just the normal foil stuff with the wire going through it will do the trick. Then to attach the ducting to your fan, just use foil tape, duct tape, gorilla tape or something along those lines. I don't think you necessarily need a flange, but it wont hurt.

I just got done doing the ventilation ducting for my tents. Feel free to check the link in my sig for some pics of how it turned out.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your setup!
:Namaste:
-Monkey

IMG_20140728_160351.jpg
Finally my pictures of the tents I'm posting about....the small tent has exhaust from the top but can't use that kind on big tent.

IMG_20140728_161931.jpg
IMG_20140728_171128.jpg
IMG_20140728_160414.jpg

For the big tent, those mesh panels at the bottom should have a velcro cover on the outside of the tent. I would pull those off and use them as your passive intakes (they won't be lightproof though). Then just get your fan and filter (if you're using a filter) and duct those to the sock in the ceiling of the top right hand corner of your tent. Use some zip ties or nylon straps to hang the fan and filter from the cross supports at the top of the tent and call it done!

Or you can make light baffle boxes for your intakes. Think like what you see in window blinds, or in those closets with the cheap slat doors, except instead of just aiming down, or up, you have a surface going down enough to block the light coming down from outside, then add a second surface from that edge aimed up, to block lighting coming in from above. a third one, going down again will make it even more light proofed. Since it is an intake, it'll pull air fairly efficiently, without too much excess air drag.

Also, something to consider, replace the room's light with a green only light. Green does not affect flowering cycle, and is often used to allow people to see when checking flowering plants in their night cycle.

Bump back to the top.

Thanks MikeT, :circle-of-love:

Hi GrannyT, are you trying to duct the tents together to use 1 fan for 2 tents? Or, will each tent have its own fan? Instead of the mesh panels, you can use that sock at the bottom of the big tent.

Each tent having own fan, I have got the ventilation figured out for the big tent,..I ordered an exhaust fan and ducting and placing on top of tent in the sock on top right.
But then it hit me about the light proofing since each tent will be on different light cycles. The problem is the mesh rectangular intake at the bottom of the tent...not using a fan for intake, it's passive.
Thanks Dante for your interest and help. :thanks:

Or you can make light baffle boxes for your intakes. Think like what you see in window blinds, or in those closets with the cheap slat doors, except instead of just aiming down, or up, you have a surface going down enough to block the light coming down from outside, then add a second surface from that edge aimed up, to block lighting coming in from above. a third one, going down again will make it even more light proofed. Since it is an intake, it'll pull air fairly efficiently, without too much excess air drag.

Also, something to consider, replace the room's light with a green only light. Green does not affect flowering cycle, and is often used to allow people to see when checking flowering plants in their night cycle.

I know what your talking about, is it louvers or something like that.. I just don't understand or picture in my head how you mean to do it.
:loopy:( a little secret, I'm blonde)...lol , ..now the green light, how does it help light proof, duh, don't understand this either...
Thanks so much for all your help!!!:thanks:

Hello grannyT. In my new journal I posted a few pics of my indoor set up including the fan and filter. Maybe a visual of one way of doing it will help you? Good thing I just posted and happened to see your thread, otherwise you might never find/see mine.....it's not drawing much attention.

Will check it out right now bright !! I am totally visually as you can see my reply to Srilania. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom