Grasbauer's First Grow - Arjan's Haze #3 - Soil - 160W CFL

Well with some strains & the pistils on the bud changing colour to the burnt orange colour may happen early with some strains and others not so early, it may mean you could harvest early by a week or two !

Ya wanna check the trichome development tho...

Never ever treat each strain as the same or by what ever guide lines... it is just a rule of thumb when every or each other strain can be slightly different, this just adds to the learning curve :thumb:

Ya more likely got more time on your hands with the auto strain grown, at best you may need a few more weeks.

Next day, the plants were still standing in the brown water with too much fert, so I rinsed the soil with 2l each. Took a while, and I broke off a bud in the process, it's really too crowded in there.

While the Arjan's Haze #3 are still about 5 weeks from harvest, the Diesel should be pretty much ready - seedfinder lists 53-60 days, today is day 53. Below a shot of the main cola + a few 1:1 crops from a macro shot. Most trichome heads are cloudy, though there are still a few clear ones as well. I want to harvest as early as possible to minimize CBD/CBN content. What do you think, chop it tomorrow?

Hm.. looking at other parts of the shot, there are are still many clear trichomes, and no amber ones. Might wait a few days.. Thursday I have the opportunity to harvest near the end of the night period because I have to go to work early.

Another Diesel Auto macro shot. I finally see a single amber trichome there.
Might cut the main cola tomorrow, anyway, I'm checking every day.

The AH#3 haven't been showing any sign of change recently.

Looking very cool indeed :Namaste:

Normally before the final harvest most grows give the plants a flush & basically just use water for the last week or two before you do the chop.

More so with mineral salt based nutrients with organic nutrients you can get away with out a flush but ultimately a individual choice.

The flush is said to help improve taste & smoothness of the smoke by helping the plant use up excess nutrients in the soil & plant itself, how ever a good cure really makes the difference :thumb:

Drying to fast may trap chlorophyll in the plant tissue which may make the end product taste & smell like damp hay...

The slow air dry may take between 7 to 14 days on average & when the stem snaps but does not fully break it is time to trim bud from stalk and start the curing process. (may take longer depending on temps when drying)

Curing, well mason jars are a popular choice place the bud in jars and burp twice daily for 15 to 20 minutes around 12 hours apart for the next 2 weeks... after that seal and store in a dark place then ya got a half decent smoke.

Temperature & humidity play a part in the slow air dry... as high RH during drying may induce bud rot !

Yes I didn't use fert the last time and I plan to dry them slowly. Room has ~50% humidity.

Today I harvested the rest of the plant and got a shock: there are "balls" everywhere on the Diesel Auto. And one of the Haze flowers looks strange. Does this make any sense to you? What happened? Should I cut the strange flower?

See top right & bottom left.

Sacks opened. Looks like seeds inside?

The strange AH#3 flower

Flower bent down, see center of pic.

Ye those little pods on the auto Diesel Auto are called calxys it is pretty normal ya get em on all ya girls & pretty alright to smoke em :thumb:

I'm not sure what is going on with the AH3 but might be going hermie aka hermaphrodite, i would keep a close eye on it & watch for small pale green/yellow like bananas thicker than the average white hair pistil you can pick them off to help save em a little bit...

I might suspect some environmental stress to cause these problems or a light leak during the lights off period ?

I know they are calyxes, but they seem to have been pollinated and forming seeds?!
Or could these be ovules?

The AH3 did have some stress, yes. Too much fert, and those center buds are near the lamp.
So far though, no further change. No other buds show any sign of this.
I was just wondering if I should remove that bud because the plant might put a lot of energy into it to grow the seeds. Though it would be fun to have a crossbreed between those two kinds of plants. =)

The Diesel was mostly under 12/12 (only put it in to use available space and have something to smoke a bit earlier). That probably had it turn hermie. Not a good idea.

AH3 slowly developing buds. Plants look a bit better now after using too much fert last time and clear water this time.

Day 92 / day 47 of 12/12. Bent down one bud that was growing way too high.

Haven't seen any bananas or other bad stuff so far, plants seem to be doing fine & resin production is going on.
Another 2-4 weeks to go.

Test smoke of a small bud I broke off was quite promising. A helicopter was crossing the area that evening, and it sounded like a gnarl to me that I couldn't identify for minutes! White areas on my screen here had colored edges, like faulty convergence...

p.s. the link in your signature doesn't work.

Cool man, I'll take a look at your report.

The Diesel Auto yielded a mere 6g dried. As said, I had put it in there to make better use of the available space with its <60 days from seed. Small 6l pot, only 12/12 for most of its cycle. Still had hoped for a bit more. Wonder if it hermied or if these "undeveloped seeds" were ovules.

Plants use up way more water now than a few weeks ago. Dry after just over a week instead of 2.
Wanted to see what absolutely clear trichomes look like with my camera/lens setup, so here's another macro.

Day 96

More macros. Plants are stepping on it. Starting to get doubts about the 2 different phenos finishing at the same time. The one in the back of the tent looks more mature.

Day 103

Mmm ye pretty low yield for the Diesel Auto more likely a cfl bulb thing used for flowering...

CFL normally produce a lower yield when compared to hps but it takes a couple or so grows to dial growing skills in to get better results.

Even tho some CFL growers do produce good results just takes time to work things out :thumb:

Might be a light spectrum area...

6400 k or 6500 k (k = kelvin) for vegging. (blue spectrum of light)

2700 k for flowering. (red/orange spectrum of light)

Light choice between stages of growth is reasonable important for better development of the plants :thumb:

I have the correct light color, but as said, the plant only got 12 hours of light for most of the cycle, and it was in a small pot at the edge of the light cone. Plus it seems it hermied. So, under these circumstances, I guess it's better than nothing, and that was all I had hoped for. ;)

Buds on the AH3 are slowly building up.. going to post a few more photos soon.

Back
Top Bottom