Graytail's 4th Perpetual: 4x4 Samsung Panels

DurBush x KingGelato is dried and jarred and yielded 27 grams, 0.95 ounces over 151 days = 0.179 grams per day. DurBush was a very long fluffy sativa. :hmmmm: Musta got the KG F1. :laughtwo: This one did go 82 days in bloom though.

Yeah that’s what I’m learning. You build either a constant current or a constant voltage system. Having done my own competition car audio stuff I understand series and parallel setups. Theres also the capability to run in series and parallel at the same time. :nerd-with-glasses:Gonna take a little reading and I’ll probably blow some pots or drivers but I’ll get it. What’s your thoughts on qb vs the light bars??

Edit: seriously nice looking buds. Those qbs seem to produce real well.

Yeah that’s what I’m learning. You build either a constant current or a constant voltage system. Having done my own competition car audio stuff I understand series and parallel setups. Theres also the capability to run in series and parallel at the same time. :nerd-with-glasses:Gonna take a little reading and I’ll probably blow some pots or drivers but I’ll get it. What’s your thoughts on qb vs the light bars?

They use the same mid power diodes so there's no difference in performance, and the strips are easy to buy, easy to ship, etc. It's a tossup for me. I mght have gone with strips if the Chinese panels and sinks hadn' t been such a good value.

Oh, and Mean Well drivers have excellent protection circuits. I know from experience. :p

Looks like a seed in that last picture:theband:and the same seed in the 8th pic from top

I just saw that myself! I didn't notice it until I looked at it on the phone. Hmm. That KG is a randy rascal, eh? Knocked up Bubba, DurBush, UBH x GT, and now its own F1.

Tsk.

excellent protection circuits. I know from experience. :p
:eek: that’s good then :)

So if I were to “expand” my light a little bit :cheesygrinsmiley: - would adding some strips perhaps be a better approach than simply driving the boards I have a little harder? They’re being driven very soft with the current set up, maxing at 37w per 128diode panel (your own design). I was thinking about just stepping the driver up, but maybe... strips :hmmmm: That i’d turn on for flowering... :hmmmm: ... uh oh - things to contemplate!

:cheesygrinsmiley: Ya.

There's always a tweak or 2 to be considered. :laughtwo: As long as we're on the subject, right?

Lumens per watt go up as you reduce power to the diodes. They get more efficient. But you also get fewer lumens with fewer watts. So it can get kinda silly to chase lumens/watt too far. I went all-in and run 4256 diodes in my 4x4. That's 258 per square foot. That's silly. :laughtwo: But they were cheap. I got it all done - framing, shipping, wiring, everything, for $850. So after driver loss, etc, I still get 180 Lu/W. Most other people are running far fewer diodes at higher power and are getting 150 Lu/W or less, after driver loss. Efficiency is a matter of how many diodes for a given power. 1000 diodes at 700 watts won't provide as many lumens as 2000 diodes at 700 watts. They'll run at twice the power, each. Same wattage either way.

So in your case, you'd want to think about adding strips, but keeping the power the same. You'd end up using even less from your present driver, and add another to drive the strips. I'm not sure I'd want to mix dissimilar designs on the same driver. I'd have to think that through - wouldn't want a runway imbalance.

I've been toying with adding some strips to my own garden. If I have 2 feet of headroom now, with full penetration to the floor, I could mount horizontal strips along the walls 2 feet down, facing the top of the canopy, to penetrate into the lower growth. They could run at low enough power to not burn, functioning like a fluorescent tube, only 3 times more efficient. And then, I'd turn everything else down to compensate.

Dunno.

Seems like a waste of money. :cheesygrinsmiley:

... not like buying seeds or anything, right? ... :bongrip:

20???? Woah I think that would be more than enough for a 5x5. I have a Hlg 550 V2 in a 4x4 tent and deal with heat issues when the outside air gets above 75 degrees F. Do you use active cooling/AC? Because I'm sure I will have to soon
I keep our house at 78 and pull and vent inside the house and never had it go over 85 in the tent. I also mounted my drivers in the attic.

Which is how it works if you run a crap ton of diodes. :slide:

Lumens go up AND heat goes down, and then you turn it down farther 'cause lumens went up.

:bongrip:

Have I mentioned that Destroyer is fine weed?

It is. It's fine weed. :love:

I just opened the jar to get a bud and took the most marvelous hit of spicy clover - the kind of hit that fills you, y'know?

Must be chock full of b-Ocimene, a terp I've learned to look for. Many of my favored strains have a lot of it, described as "fresh clover".

You'd end up using even less from your present driver, and add another to drive the strips. I'm not sure I'd want to mix dissimilar designs on the same driver.
That’s exactly the vision thats been tickling my brain :D I’d assumed I wouldn’t mix them. I’d consider the strips a flowering light :)
Seems like a waste of money. :cheesygrinsmiley:
:laughtwo:

Happy you have a good fit with the Destroyer :bravo: :hookah:

Ok gray I have a question. When you bought your panels did they come as a kit?? I see Meiji sells kits that are panels and drivers with connectors. Going by what you posted in the beginning of this journal the pricing seems to be a little more than what you paid for your setup but just by a little. They still work out to about a dollar a watt which I think is what you said was a decent price for them.

No, I worked directly with Kitty at the company before they had an online site. In fact, I had them design a new board for my veg area. It's the 128 diode board. :)

They were knocking off HLG's 288 and 304 boards at that time, and their prices were especially attractive - I paid about $30 each with shipping for my 304 boards.

I'm sure you can still order non-kits if you talk to Kitty. They run the kits at pretty high power, so you could buy more individual boards to increase efficiency if you wanted to. That's also something you could do later - start with a kit and see how you like it, then upgrade later.

:Namaste:

Well I was thinking that working with a kit would be a good hands on lesson as well. Seeing that they’re about a dollar a watt I figured worst case was I have more shop lighting or a new veg light. I’m also thinking they would be great for doing veggies indoors in the winter. I’ll have to message them and see what my options are. Thanks gray!! :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom