420 Magazine Background

Greatest Guitarists

The Lurker

Well, Holy Sweet Mother of Jesus, we've got a bunch of guitar heads on here! Who knew? ;) Lots of good ones already mentioned. Let's see if I can cover a few more. How about some jazz guys?

Let's take Pat Metheny, for instance. Took me a couple of years for my tastes to get there from R n' R, but when I finally 'got' him, it was an epiphany. He was also one of the youngest instructors at the Berklee College of Music in Boston before moving on. Excellent Jazz pedigree mixed in with Midwest Americana and just a touch of Brazilian. Have seen him a number of times with the 'Group and his Trio since then. Check out a live version of Have You Heard from 1989's Letter From Home, circa 1995 (Live in Japan):

YouTube - Pat Metheny Group - Have you heard

His wife is pretty hot, too. ;)

An ol' buddy of mine was one of the first graduates from GIT back in '79, when it was more jazz-rock oriented. He had a lot of great stuff in his collection, including early Pat. And he could play like a MoFo!

Just a few others (+ jazz-rock) mentioned in passing: Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, Joe Pass, Joe Hall, Allan Holdsworth, Charlie Hunter, Wayne Johnson, Wes Montgomery, Bill Connors, Jeff Beck, Kenny Burrell, Frank Gambale, Danny Gatton, Stanley Jordan, Les Paul, John Scofield, Mike Stern, Ralph Towner...

Who'd I miss? :)

---------------------------------

One more guy: Greg Howe. One of the most underrated players in the last couple of decades. Did some time in Mike Varney's shed, been recruited by both Michael Jackson and Justin Timberlake, great guy, pretty humble too. He's got so many ideas in his head it's almost like they run together, when people hear him play some are overwhelmed, but break it down and it's great stuff. Did an excellent fusion album a few years back with Victor Wooten and Dennis Chambers (2003's Extraction). Which includes a cover of La Villa Strangiato, for you Rush Fans (along with Holdsworth's Proto-Cosmos from the Tony Williams Lifetime-Era)...

Unlike a lot of 'fast' guys from that era, he's got some soul, too. You just can't teach that (well, at least not very well)...

Notice his finger vibrato, also. It's up and down, not back and forth, and subtler. I think he started out on violin...

Here's a cut from 1993's Introspection that he recorded a last year in his home studio, playing over his original backing track, called Come and Get It:

YouTube - Greg Howe Performs "Come And Get It"

Does a nice version of Sunny, also:

Tasty stuff. ;)

And if you want to take lessons from him, turns out you can do it via webcam-to-webcam for $75 for one hour on his website.

One of these days...
-----------------
I like a lot of the 'slow' stuff too, acoustic (Kottke/Hedges/Bensusan/Keaggy, ethereal Steve Hackett, etc.) You name it...

Guess that's enough for now. Rock on! :55:

-TL

-----------------

Full disclosure: Ok, I play a little guitar, too.

It's just like a normal guitar - only half the size--! :)

"Damn Musicians. Always cutting up!" - Anonymous

Last edited by a moderator:

Namaste

wow

I agree TL.

incredible chops and precision, but very musical, and that nice *fat* tone while doing it is just amazing.

thanks man!

BTW, a well-rounded player should have more than one style of vibrato in his quiver ;)

Last edited:

Namaste

Willie is underrated as a guitarist IMO, but this video isn't a good example of his playing.

It is an example of how Trigger sounds when played by someone else ;).

Namaste

That's why I found that video interesting.

Trigger is insured for a *lot* of money.

Funny thing is, the great majority of Martin classicals sound like total crap in contrast to their great sounding steel string guitars.

Trigger has great tone, even with that worn top and big hole. Happens with acoustic guitars since wood isn't easy to hold to a consistent spec, and then whatever art factored into the build, since I believe the assembly line was foreign to Martin in that era.

It's interesting to hear someone else play it because guitarists who play the same guitar for a long time learn to compensate for any weaknesses, and apparently, Trigger ain't got none.

Starimoon

i agree with all of the above. and would like to add- jimmy page, jack white, george thoroughgood, dimebag darrell,hendrix ,b.b.king,dickie betts,the nuge-ted nuggent,dave mustaine,keith richards,mick marrs,jerry garcia,carlito[carlos] santana,angus young,john mayer,kirk hammet,johnny lang,randy rhoades,zakk wylde,eddie van halen, willie nelson,[spelled wrong- tommy iommy ],steve miller, the dude from rush, and countless others.
now this is a list!very nice !!

Starimoon

anyone ever hear Rodrigo y Gabriela???OMG!!! amazing on their acoustics

dbkick

For OP(years ago) I can't believe you named Clapton, Jimi made him pee on his tail and unplug his guitar and leave the stage when Jimi was a nobody.
My votes to this day are a toss up between Hendrix and Lifeson.

Last edited:

ETET

For OP(years ago) I can't believe you named Clapton, Jimi made him pee on his tail and unplug his guitar and leave the stage when Jimi was a nobody.
My votes to this day are a toss up between Hendrix and Lifeson.
I sincerely mean no disrespect... No toss necessary. Alex is great! As are many listed. Many of those listed are some of my top favorites. I cut my teeth of playing chops in the '80s on these players including Jimi. Jimi is alone at the top. A music appreciation friend asked me once who,in my opinion, was the cream of the crop guitarist.... I answered his question with a question. Electric? Or acoustic?
Jimi as electric.
James Taylor as acoustic. Each was self taught and unable to READ/write music notation effectively and relied on the musicality of the instrument as it enabled their musical expression.
That said, more notes don't mean better playin'!( we all have one. This one is mine)
BTW my hole in the ground will probably contain a pewter colored '87 American Standard Fender Stratocaster that has provided years of entertainment value playing most of the players mentioned in prior posts including zipping through any of the 12 or so recorded guitar tracks from Achilles Last Stand... Try it some. Don't get any on ya...

Norcaliwood

Plant of the Year: 2017 - Grow Journal of the Month: Feb 2017 - Plant of the Month: Nov 2009, April 2017 - Nug of the Month: April 2017 - Photo of the Month: Jan 2018 - Creme de la Creme Photos: Feb 2017

Norcaliwood

Plant of the Year: 2017 - Grow Journal of the Month: Feb 2017 - Plant of the Month: Nov 2009, April 2017 - Nug of the Month: April 2017 - Photo of the Month: Jan 2018 - Creme de la Creme Photos: Feb 2017
Oh BTW that was a Great Concert. I was at that one. Keepem Green

Norcaliwood

This "RedNeck' is still going. Love the band.... CDB

Keepem Green

Norcaliwood

You know,,,,, seems this thread is dead. But IF anyone hears this,,, and I have to say this, vocals are the same as a guitar.
Only works if you listen.......
Waylon Jennings Luckenbach Texas - YouTube
Keepem Green

Norcaliwood

FenderSuper

Rob McNelley
James Pennebaker
Sonny Landreth
Lee Roy Parnell
Mike Butler
Howard Roberts
Greg Martin
Danny Flowers
Pete Townshend
John Entwistle
Keith Richards
Mick Taylor
Vince Caminiti

If any of you know who any of these people are, Outside of Towser, the Ox and Keef, I'll be surprised. :) I'm a picker, too.

You can hear my picking at BrotherWilliams | Brother Williams | Free Listening on SoundCloud I played ALL the guitar and produced the album.

Top Bottom