GreatLife4All RDWC WW 1000W Grow

GreatLife4All

Hello Everyone.

This is my first post, but I have been growing for many years now. Started in my garage in CA in 1996 — and been doing it off and on ever since. My first grow was soil and Miracle Grow - and it worked so well I couldn't believe it.

I grow for personal use for me and a small circle of friends. After taking many hints and tips from this board, I have decided to give back if I can.

I just completed my first grow in a new house with a mixture of new and old equipment. In my opinion, I completed that grow with mixed results. Plants got too large, burned in the light... my ph meter screwed me over and I coated the roots with limestone right before flowering (a long story...).I nearly threw all the plants away in disgust - instead I cloned them and put them into flowering. I now run R/O water and have a good pH meter. And yet, I still harvested about 30 grams per plant of excellent quality herb. Nothing to brag about, but a pretty good recovery story. These clones are the second generation in the flowering tent right now. I must have a very strong version of White Widow genetics to withstand all the abuse I put those first ones thru. Read on and you will see.

About that old equipment... I had an old 400w magnetic ballast that I was using for the veg tent. I put one of those conversion bulbs in to it and the ballast quit working a couple of weeks later. I don't think it was related to the bulb, but would love to hear anyone's comments on this. Anyways... So i am forced to change out the light about two weeks into vegging. In the process, I drop the old hood right on top of the plants. I broke one plants stem into a right angle... and the plant survived and produced. The rest lost a few leaves and branches - but recovered quickly.

I currently have a dedicated room in my unheated basement that I use for a grow room. It is right next to the furnace room which helps to hide noise. The ambient temperature stays at 64 to 68 degrees with relative humidity around 75%. I use a dehumidifier in the grow room set at 55 to 60% - this raises the temperature of the grow room to a consistent 68 degrees. The tents run a couple of points higher on average.

On this particular grow, I have 6 White Widow clones, an unknown indica (from free seed), and a Light of Jah clone (I just had it laying around and decided to throw it in — probably a mistake). My plan is to take the LOJ out during week 6 of the flowering and move it to the other tent — where I will be flowering some other sativas. It will finish earlier than the others, which means no flush. But I just wanted to see what that plant was like - so anything is a bonus.

I am currently in Week 4 of a nine week flowering cycle. I burned the plants during Week 1 of flowering by playing with the humidity levels. I started running the humidity at 45% - but the dehumidifier caused the temperature in the grow room to climb to 74 degrees and inside the tents it was hitting 82 - and over 90 at the canopy. My DWC system doubled its water usage and the plants browned within two days. Oops. Everyone is doing better now. But if you wanted to force feed your plants nutrients - that is an excellent way... as long as you don't kill them.

Because I run a 9 week flowering cycle, I use a 3 week cloning schedule, a 3 week veg schedule, and two tents. It allows a harvest every six weeks when everything is said and done. There is always at least one tent flowering, and for 3 weeks both tents are in flowering (while the next gen is in the clone box). It works very well. My third generation of clones from the same White Widow plant are in the veg tent now. I take clones right before flowering - I prefer to trim the bottom third of my plants for air flow. So i pick clones from these trimmings.

A list of active equipment.
I am running two tents (4' x 4' x 6.5') and using a 9 week schedule. I typically run 4 plants per tent for flowering. This grow I am experimenting with a low maintenance SOG type of grow. I am not using a screen and did not train the girls. I simply lollipped them, increased the number of plants to eight, and allowed the eight plants to completely fill the tent. It looks just like a SOG — but the plants are much larger.

I built my own "indirect pressure recirculating deep water culture" system from PVC and buckets. I am still running an ebb and flow system in the other tent. I have to admit that I am truly amazed at the difference in growth and the ease of maintenance on the DWC system. The system holds 35 gallons if filled to the max — but I have been running it about ½ to ¾ full — depending on where the plants are at. I am currently dropping the level each week as the plants get bigger root masses. I am at ½ full and will likely leave it there for the duration of the flowering cycle.

I am running six inch net pots in this system using Hydroton. The last grow was a Perlite / Coco mixture in an ebb and flow. Nearly all of my grows have been indoors using hydroponics equipment of various flavors. The ebb and flow was my favorite till I built that DWC system. I am thinking about building a second one now.

I have a float in my reservoir (just another bucket) attached to a 33 gallon storage tank. This allows me to easily adjust the level of the nutrient solution. I also love the fact that this dribbles new nutrient solution in on a constant basis — helps to keep the ppm and pH very stable. I run a standard nutrient solution (1G 2M 4B using AN with a ppm of 835 and a pH target of 5.6) in the storage tanks — I use it for any stage of life including seedlings — some strains can't handle this so I don't grow them. I use nutrient additives to make up the difference between this standard solution and the correct nutrient ratio in each system.

I tend to run 1,000 ppm for Veg. I then up it to 1200 for transition. And then I work the plants up to 1500 ppm during bloom (based on the plants reaction to boosts). I am currently in Week 4 of flowering and the ppm level is just under 1400.

I also have a 66 gallon reservoir attached via a float and control valve onto an R/O water system. This gives me clean water with a PPM of 125 and a pH of 7.4. I am on well water - so I believe that these numbers are very good. This tank gives me enough clean water to fill my system, and then refill the smaller storage tank. It takes a couple of days to fill this large storage tank - but I have never had a lack of water since installing it.

I used to switch my nutrient solution every week out of paranoia - needless to say this works very well but the pH never really stabilises. On my first grow at the new place, I switched to every two weeks - the pH would stabilize after a week and then just hum along with little variance for another week - it was great and a lot less work. With the new DWC system, I simply fill it with nutrients and additives, place an equal amount of the base nutrient solution into the storage tank — and when that is gone I replace the nutrient solution. It is working very well and is a HELL of a lot less work. Well worth the investment in a storage tank and float, IMO.

I have 3 exhaust fans on the two tents. One is attached to both lights via duct work. And the other two are used to individually control the exhausting of the tents. I tried running with less exhaust fans - but it seems it is much better to overdo it and turn them down; rather than start out under-powered like I did. All exhaust fans are now 6" 440cfm Active Farm. Each tent has its own carbon filter attached to the exhaust. These fans are noisy, but very effective — I have all fans attached to individual controls or timers. With this fan setup, I can keep the temperature of the canopy within 8 degrees of ambient temperature when the lights are on. So I run about 76 during lights on and 68 at night.

There is almost no daily variance in these temperatures. I have heat and humidity controllers in both tents, but I just run the exhaust fans constantly at about ½ speed on a 24/7 basis. I have experimented, and the plants seem to prefer this. I also use a circulating fan... but I have taken it out of one tent and it seems to make no difference to the plants. Undoubtedly because I have good air flow using the exhaust fans 24/7. I don't think I will use a circulating fan from now on... but I am still up in the air about it. Seems like a waste of electricity to me with the setup that I am using.

I also have a 6" intake on each tent covered by a hepa filter. This helps to keep everything clean in the tent. I also put a hepa filter on the end of the light exhaust duct. I was getting a lot of dust on the light during my first grow - so I decided to fix that for this round.

I have a 600 watt grow light attached to a cool tube in one tent — with a dimmable electronic ballast. In the other tent — I just purchased my first 1000 watt light and have been running it during this flowering cycle. I started it on 75% and moved it to 100% after transition. Both hoods are attached to a single ventilation system on a timer — and heat from the lights is a manageable problem.

I have always used Rockwool cubes to clone. I started using an EZ Cloner during this cycle (the six WWs started there) as I thought it would be easier to transition into net pots and the DWC system. I have to admit that it is cool to watch the roots growing — you don't get to see that in a rockwool cube. And it works very well as long as you always remember to plug it back in after maintenance. Another oops during the lifetime of these plants. I walked in one morning and everyone was laying down on the deck of the EZ Cloner. I admit that they recovered rather quickly and I only lost two plants — which is why I am growing the LOJ and unknown indica.

I haven't had any issues with molds, rots, or fungus yet. I clean and wash all equipment with a strong bleach solution between grows — and I believe that helps. One or two of the leaves got chewed on while in the cloning box by some unknown insect — but I am guessing from the damage that it is some type of beetle. Certainly not enough to cause concern.

I will post pictures later tonight of the current state of things.

Ok, I have uploaded some pictures into my member gallery.

I will include some of the photos here to show the history of my current grow.

2013-03-14_23-12-43_148.jpg

This is the clone box that the second generation started out in. This was immediately after I forgot to plug the box back in the night before. I had cleaned out the obviously dead ones (stems were crushed from the neoprene collars), applied a foliar application of water, and waited for about a day. Most of these died over the next couple of days anyway.

All of the stems were crushed by the neoprene collars.

This is a picture of the unknown indica immediately after transplanting. I take clones and then wait a day or two and flip them over to flowering cycle.

2013-03-05_00-29-56_880.jpg

This is the unknown indica during week 4 of flowering. She has lots of buds but they are hard to see in a picture because of the green coloration.

She looks small in the tent, but when you get her out she is pretty damn big.

IMG_20130331_222509_078.jpg

Sorry that this picture is a little blurry.

I didn't take a picture - but the root ball fills that 4 gallon bucket.

Here is a picture of the inside of my grow tent duing week 4 of the flowering phase. That Light of Jah started as the shortest - and has quickly dwarfed everyone else.

IMG_20130331_220605_071.jpg

IMG_20130331_220708_825.jpg

IMG_20130331_220554_142.jpg

Issue Number 1

Ok, the first issue that I would like a little help with on this grow is the addition of supplements such as Voodoo Juice, and etc.

I have found that if I add the supplements to my refill solution, the ppms in my system tend to drift upwards and I am constantly adding water. If I simply leave out the nutrient additives (from the storage tank which automatically fills my DWC system), my ppms stay stable for weeks on end.

So what I have been doing is calculating the ppms that I will add to my nutrient solution, check the ppms of the DWC system, and then add enough water to get the final ppms that I needed. I do this on a weekly basis and add the recommended amount of different additives (B-52, Voodoo Joice, SensiZyme, and Nirvana are my current favorites).

Does this sound correct? I do know that it is working. Is there a better method? Should I throw all nutrient additions into the storage tank, and then cut it with water. Has anyone done both methods and have an opinion?

Well... it was a tough week for the plants.

Measuring pH has remained a challenge. At first, I thought my pH meter was just bad. So I went to the local hydro shop and bought a newer model of the same basic design (Hanna Instruments). After soaking and calibration of this pH meter - it turned out to be bad. At first it would calibrate - then after an initial use it would be off by 3 to 5 points (reading 10.9 when 7,1 was more accurate). So I took that meter back and got a different one yet again.

This time, the meter worked on all solutions EXCEPT the RDWC system. It would be very jumpy and flaky when put into that particular solution mix only. Strange.

After doing some research, I find a comment that certain pH meters are sensitive to HID lights - and I have a 1,000W light in a tent. So I flipped the lights off, checked the pH - and it was way the hell off. But the meter was stable... but the pH was down around 3. Rather than trying to fix the mess - I replaced the nutrient solution and started over. So now I have a slight burn on the tops of the flowering plants (Gen2).

And then the second problem. I have never had sufficient electrical running to my grow room - it is in an unfinished part of the basement. So I get an occasional popping of one of two different circuits. I was cleaning up last night and one of the circuits popped. When I got everything back on - my main light would not turn on. I switched bulbs to no avail.

That ballast is only five months old - so I won't be purchasing that brand again. So I am now heading over to the hydro shop to get a new ballast. This is the light in the tent that I am using for vegging. The plants wilted overnight and I am hoping that I can get everything back together before too much damage occurs.

I hadn't thought about it, and they are too expensive for this, but it would seem having a backup ballast is a good idea.

An update on the plants and growing environment.

There is now no doubt in my mind that the light is affecting the pH meter. I am now testing pH only when the lights are out and everything has stabilized nicely. All of the White Widow plants were burned - and the Unknown Indica and the LOJ were largely unaffected.

I also had to do an emergency purchase for a new ballast. The local hydro shop really only had one ballast that would work and it is 1,000 watts. So I bought it and put it into the veg tent with a new MH bulb. It is currently running at 600w and the plants seem to love it. They are rebounding nicely from their day of darkness.

So all problems solved, some small burns and leaf curling in the flowering tent, but everyone is recovering nicely now.

I have also updated my gallery with new photos.

Here are the pictures of the White Widow clones - they are developing nicely and went unaffected by the ballast outage. I love how consistent these girls look!

IMG_20130406_013952_109.jpg

This next image is a picture of LOJ1 and 2. LOJ 1 wilted and the bottom leaves turned brown. They are now sending out new shoots - so they seem unaffected.

IMG_20130406_013943_354.jpg

This final picture is the Silver Haze clone. It wilted badly during the ballast outage. It still hasn't really fully recovered and looks a little sickly. I have high hopes though...

IMG_20130406_013930_698.jpg

Week 5 Flowering Update

Here are pictures from Grow Tent 2. It just started week 5 of a 9 week flowering schedule.

These are my White Widow 1 clones. All are descended from a five year old seed that I found and got to germinate. I have terminated this line as it was never really a vigorous line. So... RIP WW1 - you served me well.

IMG_20130406_014515_406.jpg

Unknown Indica bud development. She is definitely behind WW2 and ahead of the LOJ. I am going to guess that she will take 10 to 11 weeks to flower. Any guesses to help me out?

IMG_20130406_014506_351.jpg

WW4-3 Bud Development. Everything seems to be coming along nicely now. I burned the White Widows with my pH shenanigans - but they will be OK... just reduced potential.

IMG_20130406_014430_671.jpg

This is a close up of LOJ1. If you look closely, you can see where I accidentally broke the main stem. Another reduction in potential yield.

IMG_20130406_014424_369.jpg

WW4-1 Bud Development. It really grew this past week as you can see.

IMG_20130406_014411_696.jpg

Another view of the Grow Tent LOJ1 started out the shortest in the tent - and she now dominates above everyone else. Her main stem touched the light this week - which was why I was trying to bend it down.

IMG_20130406_014355_788.jpg

My Grow Tent 2 Thermometer. The temperature increased 3 degrees in the room and tent after installation of the new ballast. Nothing dangerous - but I am monitoring it for the next week. This thermometer is mounted just above the canopy in one corner of the tent. I love duct tape.

IMG_20130406_014119_336.jpg

If you look at the pictures in the veg tent - you will notice a very distinct difference in color. Another experiment I ran.

No difference in pH maintenance. No difference in PPMs. But the water in the leftmost ebb and flow is quite a bit darker...

Summary: Always wash your hydroton before use.

Experiment Over.

Everything is running well tonight. Didn't have to adjust pH or ppm - exactly on target. Checked everything when lights were off...

The temperature is continuing to hover around 78 degrees (on top of the canopy) about 2 hours into the day cycle. And the exhaust tubing for the lights is running way hotter.

Initially, I thought it was just that I had more powerful lights with the recent upgrade. But it is only 200W and the ventilation system should be able to handle several more lights if I wanted to push it. It just shouldn't be a problem.

If I place my hand under the light in the flowering tent - it is hotter than I can ever remember it being.

So after puzzling over this for a day I decided that the real issue is the physical size of the MH bulb that I am now running. When I upgraded my ballast, I had to also get a new MH bulb - or so i assumed. I got one of those really fat ones (the only thing the hydro shop had) and it is installed in a cool tube. I checked tonight and there is less than 3/4' clearance between the tube and the bulb - there was a good 4 1/2 inches of clearance with the other, smaller MH bulb I was running before.

So the bulb is acting as an air restricter in my lighting ventilation system. This bulb is also installed first in a suction chain between tents.

I have a smaller 600W bulb that fits easily into the tube - but I was uncertain if I could put a 600W tube on a 1000W ballast turned down to 600W (60%) - at first I assumed not. Lots of ballasts now-a-days state that you can use a smaller wattage bulb - so it seems safe as long as I match the ballast setting with the bulb and don't ever turn it up. My ballast doesn't state if this is acceptable or not.

So that will be my project for the night - try to get the heat down by replacing the MH bulb that I am running. I will report back tomorrow and let you know if everything worked.

Hi GreatLife!

I stumbled on your journal tonight. It is clear you are coming to this with lots of experience. I am subbed and looking forward to celebrating your success. I would appreciate more photos of your RWDC setup. I plan to build that system for my next grow.

Great sig line too!
Cheers!
BKA

I stumbled on your journal tonight. It is clear you are coming to this with lots of experience. I am subbed and looking forward to celebrating your success. I would appreciate more photos of your RWDC setup. I plan to build that system for my next grow.

I am glad that you could join me - if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I will upload some pictures of the two RDWC systems that I built. There are various changes between the two that I made after using the first one for a month now.

Great sig line too!
Cheers!
BKA

One of my favorites... who could argue with the intelligence and insightful nature of this man? And, he is correct.

An update. The changes to the lighting ventilation system did, in fact, work. The temperatures were running at 78 to 79 at the top of the canopy in both tents. Both tents have dropped back down to 75 as of this morning before the lights went out. I can, again, place my hand directly under the 1000W and not be uncomfortable.

It is only a 3 to 4 degree difference - but 75 is comfortable for me to run a tent at, and 79 seems too high.

I can't believe that a large light bulb blocked my ventilation system - but it did.

Here are several pictures of the first RDWC system that I built. This one is currently in use in the flowering tent.

Picture_1596.jpg

Picture_16031.jpg

Picture_1597.jpg

In order to ensure that it fit within my tent - I cut out a piece of cardboard that was exactly the same size as my tent. I then found out that my 48" x 48" x 76" tent is actually 46' x 46" x 76". So you can't really say that the conversion from metric didn't work since the manufacturer got the height correct.

As you can see from the cardboard - I built this system tight to the edge of the tent to give the plants the most room "under" the light. I slimmed it down for the second build. The problem is that once installed and after closing up the tent, the ventilation system pulls the sides of the tent in by 5 to 6" all around. Thus you are losing about a foot of grow space inside the tent.

I hadn't really considered that when I built this first system.

The other thing I did was to place the reservoir outside the tent. So I can now adjust ppms and pH without getting into the tent. This required cutting holes in my tent - but duct tape fixed that right up.

2nd RDWC System

Here are some photos of the second RDWC system that I built. The first system cost about $400 to build, the second one was closer to $500. The airstones and pumps make up over 1/2 of that cost.

On the first system, I split the air stones between the disc style hydro stones and the newer micro-pore design. When I cleaned my system at the end of week 4 - I noticed that the old style round stones were still working the same as when I put the system in use. The micro-pore design had become terribly clogged and were barely moving the water. Both cleaned up easily and are back to working well.

IMG_20130407_112633_326.jpg

IMG_20130407_112612_634.jpg

IMG_20130407_112555_166.jpg

IMG_20130407_112542_477.jpg

As these pictures show, I added two unions on the back of the system. It was a real hassle getting a built system installed into a tent. It now breaks down into four pieces and a single person can move/position any of the pieces by themselves.

You should also be able to see that I have reduced the footprint of the bucket system. It is sitting on the same piece of cardboard that I built the original one on - and has lots of space around the outside edge of the buckets.

The other thing that I have done now is added an additional air pump to each system. I believe that these DWC systems will keep the plants alive even if my water pump quits. But if I lost my only air pump, the plants would die very quickly. So I have two air pumps - each driving 4 buckets. So even if one air pump or the only water pump quits, the plants should be OK for a day or so. My recent ballast experience has reinforced the beauty of a simple backup system in case of failure.

Glad you could join me. I am posting an update on an Unknown Indica tonight (from free, unmarked package of seeds).

If I can be of any assistance - or you feel that I am erring, please let me know.

GreatLife

I needed to check the root development tonight to ensure that I am free of disease and pests. Everything looks great. While I had them out, I took a couple of pictures of the Unknown Indica. Her root ball is not the largest - that honor belongs to the Light of Jah 1 plant. But this will give you an idea of the root development by week 5.5 of flowering. Despite the fact that she is bathed in light from the HPS, you can tell that the roots are very white and clean. That is a 6" net pot and they now fill a 4 gallon bucket - to give you an idea on size. You can also see there is a string of very long roots on the bottom - those are the ones next to the "suction" side of the bucket - they are obviously going down the connecting pipe.

IMG_20130408_224205_885.jpg

This picture shows the plant itself. She took a buthering earlier this week - I defoliated the large fan leaves. They were blocking all the bud sites. After a couple of days - she has recovered nicely. The buds are really starting to get dense - and you can tell that the main stem has now shot up and is covered in buds.

IMG_20130408_224434_490.jpg

All in all, it has been a quiet couple of days with excellent growth. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom