GreatLife4All's DWC G13 C99 Grow Journal - 2013

Cloning update - 6/30/13

Here is an update on the cloning process that I have going on in the background.

The whole cloning tub sits beneath a table with a T5 about 6" from the top. Will hit 100% this time... but I also have two of the Bay 11 clones which are male - will need to do something with those.

Just as a reminder - here is the picture taken on 6/23/2013 - the first day in the cloning box.
IMG_20130623_012136_255.jpg

And here is another picture - taken on 6/30/2013. As you can see - they have grown a lot during this past week.
IMG_20130630_134923_208.jpg

The next two pictures show what the roots look like after a week. This is a clone taken from the Silver Kush.
IMG_20130630_134958_289.jpg

And this is a clone taken from the sour diesel.
IMG_20130630_135101_524.jpg

Here is an update on the flowering tent.

The understory - hasn't been trimmed yet. HJ-33 and Green Poison are up front.
IMG_20130703_015402_309.jpg

A better view of the whole tent. Silver Kush was the tallest...
IMG_20130703_015356_291.jpg

In the back corners - you can see the Silver Kush (Left Hand Side) and the Sweet Tai (Right Hand Side). They were the first in to the tent - both of them at approximately 10'. I had to break the center out of the Silver Kush because it has already topped the light. Live and Learn.

The Sweet Tai looks amazing - buds developing everywhere right now.

Because there is three weeks difference between starting dates - some of them haven't yet grown into the SCROG screen - but they will catch up.

Blue Planet Nutrients

Well... after running Blue Planet Nutrients Two Part System for several months now - I have decided that these nutrients are not for me.

They have produced wonderful growth. The nutrient charts that they provide are excellent. I would have no problem recommending this set of nutrients to a friend (in fact, I am giving the remainder to a friend to get him started with a hydro setup). They also represent an excellent value.

I also like the fact that they are out in the "open" about the crop that we grow. That adds great value to all of the nutrient recommendations. And from the research that I have performed - they are spot on with all of their stuff. It works well together as a package.

So... why have I decided to not use them?

It is due to the fact that the nutrients have a propensity to precipitate out. This happened to me three different times - and if you check you can see that I was changing the nutrient solution every week. In order to attempt to solve this, I at first decided i wasn't mixing the nutes long enough - so I left them mixing with a high powered pump for three hours. A little better, but still lots of precipitation. I then just put a pump into my reservoir and left it on constantly - and the problem was solved. But leaving a pump on 24 hrs a day to keep nutrients mixed is not going to work for my set up.

The way that i run my setup - I premix a large amount of nutrients and store them into reservoirs. They are then fed into my hydro systems via a 1/4" float valve. I have the pH and PPMs set so that I get a constant level in the hydro system. It is very important that this works - or my system will run out of water, the pH will rise, or the PPMs will get out of whack - and with hydro late in flowering, this happens very quickly. The gunk was so bad in my reservoir - that it clogged this 1/4" line. I was forced to replace this line after just four or five weeks.

So every week I have been cleaning my reservoirs, unclogging my pumps, cleaning my airstones (a black gunk is apparently attracted to these), and doing other maintenance tasks that I just don't want to do.

I am a lazy grower who wants everything spotless. I want to mix my nutrients and have them stay mixed. i don't want to spend an hour cleaning out my reservoirs every week - and I would not trust the nutrients to stay mixed in my reservoir at this point without a circulation pump. I also only want to mix my nutrients every four to five weeks - not on a weekly basis.

Advanced Nutrients allowed me to do this... but damn they are expensive.

So the search continues...

I picked up a Cyco Platinum Pro Pack from my local hydro shop. He got a deal on these at some show - and no one seems interested in them - so I got them rather cheaply. If I had to pay full retail - these would not be worth the stated price. But I also noted that Amazon has the product much cheaper than my local shop.

I have already mixed them for the ebb and flow (using the veg formula) and one of my flowering tents (not the one for this grow). It takes 7 different additives to mix this up for flowering... but that also gives me great flexibility to do whatever I want. The one product missing from the kit that I wanted to try is called SugaRush. I have ordered a liter of this to give it a go as well.

They have an interesting set up for their nutrients - and I will comment on it later on after I get used to them.

Seed Schedule - Actual

Ok. I took the time to sit down and update my seed schedule.

Here is the final version:
Seed_Schedule_-_Tent_2.JPG

First note. I had to take the Bay 11 out - it was a male. When I looked at the schedule, and the plants that were ready, I selected the WS-33 to take its place. From the schedule - it looks like the HJ-33, Green Poison, and WS-33 all went in at the same time. But in fact, the HJ-33 and Green Poison went in at the beginning of the week - and the WS-33 went in at the very end.

The C-99 has started budding hot and heavy now. Definitely a female.

The BC Cheese is looking very impressive. Nice structure to the plant. Lots of budding sites. The buds that have appeared are rock hard as well. I took two clones off of these plants - they have the slowest developing root system that I have ever seen. They have been in the cloning box for something like 10 days now, roots have developed, but they are way to small for transplant.

Despite breaking the top out of the Silver Kush - it continues to look impressive. Almost looks like a 3 dimensional candelabra at this point in time. The buds are developing nicely. Because I broke the top out - I can't determine what the yield should be on this one... but I can get an idea on quality.

And the winner so far... the Sweet Tai. If you remember, the seed company stated that this one was hard to grow. I haven't had any issues with it at all. It is tall and impressive at this point. The buds are developing very nicely. It has a mostly sativa look to it - but there is some thickness in the branching structure as well. I took two clones off of it - and they are already in the veg tent doing great. However, all the leaves did turn yellow / brownish during the cloning process - but the new growth is coming on fast and vigorous. And it developed a nice root structure very quickly - within 5 days.

I was down checking on things tonight and took some pictures.

Here is an update on the flowering tent. Note the difference in heights. The Silver Kush keeps pushing into the light. I tied down the offending cola tonight. That Sweet Tai (back right corner) is a great looking plant. You can see the Green Poison in the front right corner under the fan. The C99 is squeezed between those two massive sativas. And I added the WS-33 late - so she is sitting in the front center position - definitely the smallest plant at this point.
IMG_20130705_233311_109.jpg

I also took clones off of the plants that are now in the flowering tent. I had space available in the veg tent, and they all had well developed root systems - so they are now transplanted and doing fine.
IMG_20130705_232232_957.jpg

A different view - note the stained tray.I gave a buddy of mine one of the clones from the Green Poison tonight. He has never done hydro - so I set him up with a bubble bucket and a clone. Also gave him the Blue Planet Nutrients - see if he has better luck.
IMG_20130705_232221_821.jpg

Here is a picture of the HJ-33 (lower part of picture) and the Sour Diesel (upper right corner). The HJ is coming along nicely - lots of branching and potential bud sites developing... Impressive. The Sour Diesel is well on its way to producing a nice crop of buds.
IMG_20130705_232009_925.jpg

An upclose view of the Silver Kush. Note the internodal gap... Those buds have a lot of filling to do.
IMG_20130705_232005_884.jpg

An upclose view of the Sweet Tai. Excellent bud development. Great structure for a 'mostly sativa' with lots of bud sites. The buds are getting large as well. It has developed an odor... but I can't quite place it. Very exciting.
IMG_20130705_232001_974.jpg

An upclose view of the BC Cheese. It has developed a distinctive odor in the past week. My buddy keeps coming up and rubbing the stalk and then smelling his fingers... :yikes: Quit it! Seriously though - the "Cheese" that I tried previously smelled nothing like this one. This one is almost like a dried (or maybe earthy), sharp cheddar cheese smell.
IMG_20130705_231956_811.jpg

Everything is looking great. Clones are healthy and thriving. Flowering tent is producing buds at a prodigious rate. The SCROG screen is keeping everyone living in their own space. The schedule indicates everyone will finish up within two weeks of each other - and from all appearance, everything is on schedule. I will be able to flush most of the plants which will make for better smoke.

I am a very happy grower at this point.... and I am DEFINITELY looking forward to a "smorgasboard" of different tastes and highs in a little over a month from now.

GreatLife4All

Exciting G!! Just exciting! Been meaning to stop by and see how you are doing brotha! Sweet thai is a skyscraper, should make for a great addition to your smorgasbord. Too bad she's sativa and will flower for days, the clones sound like they rooted pretty damned quick!! :goodjob:
Sorry to hear about the BPN sir! I am also looking for a different set of nutrients to give a shot.. I'm wanting to try coco coir and I found this line of nutrients called "Microbe Life Hydroponics", give them a review if you haven't found a line yet :) they give a free 4 bottles sample pack off of their site as well. I want to point out that your plants are growing killer quick G! 3 days of progress in the pictures looks amazing, filling out quite nicely, great job! & I hear ya about your buddy, LOL, a friend of mine will do the same exact thing, "dude this is going to be some fire, look, smell", ya, it will be, if you stop touching it and let it do its business, i know how my plants smell I take care of them :laugh:.. Good going on getting your buddy into some hydro growing, should make for a good little experiment, & you will be able to share your awesome info you've accumulated on the GP.. Looking good G, room looking spotless and top notch as always, love&respect!!
:peace: CA215

Sorry to hear about the BPN sir! I am also looking for a different set of nutrients to give a shot.. I'm wanting to try coco coir and I found this line of nutrients called "Microbe Life Hydroponics", give them a review if you haven't found a line yet :) they give a free 4 bottles sample pack off of their site as well.

Everything that my local hydro shop gets as a free give-away... I seem to be given as a present. I did just receive the 'Microbe Life Hydro' kit that you mentioned. I haven't actually had time to use it yet... but i am impressed with what they have put together. If you use this stuff, post a note and let me know.

I want to point out that your plants are growing killer quick G! 3 days of progress in the pictures looks amazing, filling out quite nicely,

Yes... I am amazed at the growth that i am getting this round. I am now running CO2 in a tent right next to this one (within 2 foot of each other) and I have noted that the CO2 level of the whole grow room is up over 1,000 pretty much all the time now.

And yes, the clones rooted in 4 days... had sufficient roots for transplant within 7. I typically will wait a full two to three weeks just to let the roots develop... no need on this round. I did take clones from a White Widow from the top - and they took an extra four days to get rooted. But they were growing like weeds even without a root system.

I also mixed my own cloning solution this time from the Cyco Nutes that i am testing. But I am tending to think that I did not hurt them with this... as opposed to "I got great growth" from my concoction. But it was enough success that I won't be spending $40 on cloning solution anymore.

great job! & I hear ya about your buddy, LOL, a friend of mine will do the same exact thing, "dude this is going to be some fire, look, smell", ya, it will be, if you stop touching it and let it do its business, i know how my plants smell I take care of them :laugh:..

I don't know that my buddy hurts anything when he does this..It just makes me flinch badly. I once told him... Wouldn't you rather smoke that in a month than smell it now? He didn't get it... need to be more direct I guess.

Good going on getting your buddy into some hydro growing, should make for a good little experiment, & you will be able to share your awesome info you've accumulated on the GP.. Looking good G, room looking spotless and top notch as always, love&respect!!
:peace: CA215

He is new - has some experience in soil. I am attempting to get him to post a journal so that everyone can help him get started. I believe he may be afraid of killing a plant in public. But hell... everyone kills plants... the best of us just blame something unrelated and remember our mistake for next time...

:circle-of-love:

Hey stopped by after you visited my iq grow question. You are growing some of the strains I have been looking into. Damn sweet grow going and looking nice. Thanks for the detailed grow.

Everything that my local hydro shop gets as a free give-away... I seem to be given as a present. I did just receive the 'Microbe Life Hydro' kit that you mentioned. I haven't actually had time to use it yet... but i am impressed with what they have put together. If you use this stuff, post a note and let me know.

Haha perfect!! I should be getting my little package here soon, I am definitely going to give it a go and see how I like it. Will talk more about this line later G :high-five:

I don't know that my buddy hurts anything when he does this..It just makes me flinch badly. I once told him... Wouldn't you rather smoke that in a month than smell it now? He didn't get it... need to be more direct I guess.

Hah, little more direct it sounds like. I ended up letting my buddy know, "ay bro, you know your hands have oils on them that the plants might not like, the less you touch the better they are", he stopped dead in his tracks and when he messes with his plants, he wears gloves now! :) The only way I can see the plants actually getting hurt is if you were out messing with stuff you shouldn't have then didn't wash your hands prior to returning to the tent, none the less he learned after I explained :thumb:

He is new - has some experience in soil. I am attempting to get him to post a journal so that everyone can help him get started. I believe he may be afraid of killing a plant in public. But hell... everyone kills plants... the best of us just blame something unrelated and remember our mistake for next time...

Hahaha I was just reading about this somewhere around the forums, if it dies, "oh, it was just a male, all good"... LOL :rofl:

Have a great day my GL4A!! Everything green and good your way sir :peace: CA215

Hey stopped by after you visited my iq grow question. You are growing some of the strains I have been looking into. Damn sweet grow going and looking nice. Thanks for the detailed grow.

I started this grow with 14 different strains. I have knocked it down to the best eight (IMO - your mileage may vary) and have them into flower now. I wanted to document growth rates and show how the plants compared to one another. And, of course, the ultimate test will be yield, flavor, and quality of high.

The Bay 11 was looking very good - but it turned out to be a male and had to die. That is the one plant that should have made it into the tent. I have another one in the CO2 tent - so we will see how that one goes.

I will post a smoke report on all the different varieties as they mature. I am actually excited to see this large diversity of plants - all doing extremely well. I was worried that i would get a couple of 5 foot trees mixed with some 2 foot bushes... but everything is equalizing as time goes on.

If there are a couple that you are particularly interested in - let me know and I can get some upclose shots of the buds as they develop. I like watching all the different strains develop - and this would give me a goal for picture taking.

Cloning Experiment - Part 1

Ok... I got my clone box out a couple of weeks ago and was pretty much done. So I took some extra clones to prove a point to myself.

Most people on this site believe that you MUST use a humidity dome in order to clone successfully. Most also recommend misting a couple of times a day with R/O water. Without this... the clones will die. I don't believe that either of these are necessary - and in fact hurt the clones. There are several diseases of MJ plants that thrive in warm, humid conditions - such as damping off disease and root rot. I would rather not take a chance if I don't have to.

So here is what I did. I took two clones off of a trainwreck (which is actually a little hard to clone) that I have and prepared them as usual. I put them into the clone box - but I didn't turn on the pump. I then waited until they wilted very badly - over 3 hours. Here is the result:
IMG_20130713_242723_687.jpg

Looks pretty damn bad - doesn't it. The other clones in the box have very small root systems - so I knew that they would be OK... though they also wilted a little.

Everyone can probably see that the leaves are wet. I have been giving the clones a single foliar spray with a 100:1 dilution of R/O water and pure Humic Acid. It does amazing things for the development of the root systems... everyone should try it. No nutrients or anything, and I don't repeat the application.

Anyway, back on topic. It has been 24 hours now and here is how those two original clones look:
IMG_20130713_233320_747.jpg

So now I have proof that a cutting can wilt very badly and recover quickly. I am fairly confident (this is not my first time - I accidentally left the water pump off one time for 2 hours) that the plants will recover with no damage whatsoever.

As a matter of fact, I believe that letting them wilt in this fashion actually helps the cuttings to develop a root system faster. If you think about it, an adventitious root system is built because the plant is demanding water - and there is no systemic root system to provide it. When this deficit gets great enough, the plant will build a root system. So if you are keeping it humid and spraying them constantly with water - then the leaves are not putting much of a demand on the plant for water. The leaves pretty much have all the water they need.

Obviously I took this much further than I needed to prove the point. Certainly not scientific... but pretty solid anecdotal evidence since it is repeatable with other strains.

When they develop roots I will update the journal.

Cloning Experiment - Part 2

The two Train Wreck clones have rooted. They are still small and need a couple of days before transplant.

Here is the top part of the plant. Looks wilted but it is good. I accidentally left the water pump off overnight yesterday :oops:
Grow_Tent_2_013.jpg

And here is a picture of the roots. Some are blurry and show up as a white spot.
Grow_Tent_2_014.jpg

Everything looks good for a transplant in a couple of days.

This is one of the budding shoots on the Silver Kush. Note the nice heavy coating of trichomes.
Grow_Tent_2_018.jpg

BC Cheese. Man, that top cola is looking nice.
Grow_Tent_2_016.jpg

I have my camera back - so I can now take better pictures. Will post more as I get them uploaded.

I have been fighting nutrient burn on two plants this week.

I did three things over the past week - two of them on the same night. Which was likely stupid.

First, I switched from BPN back to AN for nutrients. This didn't seem to affect the plants at all. This was done early by transitioning from one to the other using a slow replacement scheme. Didn't seem to affect the plants at all.

When this was done, I went ahead and cleaned the system out and refilled with AN nutrients. I also increased to PPMs from 1250 to 1450.

While doing the nutrient change, I noticed that my light reflector was very dirty. So I also shut down the fans, opened the reflectors, and cleaned the glass - both inside and out. The light was NOTICEABLY brighter after I did this. I was probably reducing the lumens by at least 15 to 20%, IMO.

So at the same time I increased the nutes, I also increased (sorta inadvertently) the amount of lights that the plants are getting.

The first night, both the Silver Kush and the Sweet Tai had leaves that started curling. So I added water to my system that morning to reduce the PPMs down to 1400.

The Silver Kush has now recovered. The Sweet Tai is still turning yellow on top. I reduced the nutrients this morning back down to 1250 PPMs - which is where it was running before without burning the plants. If the Sweet Tai continues yellowing - then I will have no choice but to drop the intensity on the light to see if that is the problem.

The other six plants are all running just fine. No yellowing of leaves or slow down in growth. In fact, they all responded very positively to the added nutrients.

My water pump also clogged, and wasn't working correctly, so I replaced it that night as well. But I have replaced water pumps a lot it seems and it has never done anything but improve conditions from where they were.

No other changes have been made to the system. Temps, RH, water temp, all are the same.

It is possible that the Sweet Tai coincidentally started senescence on that day... but I don't believe in coincidences like this. Plus it looks to have a lot of bud development left. So while I am three weeks from the end and have never grown this strain before - I don't believe that this is a natural part of the plant's cycle.

So have I missed something? Anyone got advice on what to do?

No clue, but just out of curiosity, you said when you cleaned the glass you'd guess your lumens jumped 15 - 20%? Did you try moving your light up? It might be too bright now for a more delicate sativa? Just a thought... I noticed a sativa pheno I had growing spazzed when it got too close to a CFL, more less and HPS.

First, let me say that I had a growing buddy come over tonight. He is not as experienced as me... but he is pretty damn smart. He noticed that that particular sativa is the only one with a problem (now) - and that it is only under the corner of the reflector that the plant is turning yellow. The rest of the plant is humming along fine.

If it was nutrient burn, the whole top of the plant would be yellowing consistently - and it definitely is not. So I don't believe it is nutrient burn - though I will leave it at 1250 for a week or more just to ensure that everything is good.

So the extra light from cleaning the lens is the culprit... I have little doubt at this point.

Here is a picture after lights are on - as you can see the plant looks normal:
Grow_Tent_2_041.jpg

And here is a picture before the lights came on - using a flash to illuminate everything. Note how clean my reflector lens is in the pic...
Grow_Tent_2_042.jpg
-

And here is a final pic which shows how extensive the damage is.
Grow_Tent_2_043.jpg

No clue, but just out of curiosity, you said when you cleaned the glass you'd guess your lumens jumped 15 - 20%?

Seems incredible to me as well. and it is possible that I am wrong... but I did think about it before typing. So I do believe that I am accurate but I didn't use a light meter or anything.

But after months of running that light and being in there on a daily basis - it was noticeably brighter. Not just a little, but a lot. I have a filter on the end of that exhaust line - it had come loose at some point. So I was sucking unfiltered air into the light exhaust system for an unknown length of time. Had bugs and everything in there... That filter is on top of the tent and I never see it. I must have bumped it when I was re-arranging the exhaust system piping about 2 months ago.

Did you try moving your light up? It might be too bright now for a more delicate sativa? Just a thought... I noticed a sativa pheno I had growing spazzed when it got too close to a CFL, more less and HPS.

The light is already as high as it will go. I measured that one tonight and it is just over 50" - to give you an idea. I am... out of space.

If I am going to do anything... I will need to lower the intensity of the light. My ballast has a 75% setting - which would be 750W. This is definitely enough to finish them off in a 4x4 tent.

I also have a separate thread where I postulated that lowering the intensity would actually increase the THC and resin content. So I am currently leaning towards just dropping it to 750W.

Back
Top Bottom