Greatwolf's Hydro Auto Blueberry & Tangerine Dream Grand Experiment Journal — 2017

greatwolf

Merry Christmas to all! Since my girls are giving me present by entering bloom on schedule, I felt it was time to begin moving my journal online, also on schedule.

With the moderators permission, this will be a little more than a normal grow journal. First, I will begin at the beginning, with all projections, mistakes, and fixes documented. Because of my back problems, it will take a while for me to get the the online caught up with real time, which will probably be around the time harvest begins, as planned. I have photos to post too, so you'll see how the grow went. I'd also like to continue the journal into a different drying technique as well as different oil extraction, building off of SweetSue's experiments. Hence the Grand Experiment part of the title.

Although this is my first journal here, and my first auto grow, I have prior medical cannabis growing experience including nearly a decade in the 80's and another 5 years in the late 90's. Both had to be suspended when jobs required drug testing. But during that time I was part of a group that developed growing and breeding techniques, as well as general knowledge, that I believe can be applied to autos and plan to test. In the process, I want to share that knowledge, as well as clear up some myths and missing knowledge I've noticed on the Auto Growers United thread.

In some of my posts you may see a reference to 'Ernie'. Ernie is a composite character. When we would meet, in order to avoid embarrassing anyone by their mistakes, suggestions, etc., they would be attributed to 'Ernie'. Bonus points for the first person to correctly identify why we chose 'Ernie'.

So what is the purpose of this Grand Experiment? There are several parts to it including:

1. CBD by itself has as effective as oxycodone in relieving my back pain (about 20-40%), which allowed me to quit taking it about 4 years ago. Will adding THC help more and allow me do some core exercises?
2. Auto growers apply techniques such as topping and LST to up their yield. Can techniques that we developed (such as twisted sister) be better?
3. Auto growers suggest that breeders exaggerate flowering times. Is this the case or is it their techniques?
4. Can a minimalist design, with proper lighting and nutrients, produce good quality and quantity?
5. Can the buds be rapidly dried while still preserving ALL active compounds (very subjective, I'll admit).
6. Can an oil equivalent to FHO by easily produced?
7. Can all of this be done by people with disabilities?

My goal is to try to produce 100 grams per plant (although I'd settle for half), within the breeders specs. How close can I get it?

GCS Auto Blueberry Feminized (80% Indica / 10% Sativa / 10% Ruderalis) 50-60 days
GCS Auto Tangerine Dream Feminized (60% Sativa / 30% Indica / 10% Ruderalis) 55-65 days
Indoor tabletop mylar blanket grow tent [replaced with 48"48"80" grow tent]
hydro (aerogarden extra)
6 COB LED light (cheap Chinese, but individual fans and drivers and I can upgrade the COB's later if necessary, so a great deal)
Advanced Nutrients pH Perfect Micro/Grow/Bloom, Voodoo Juice

November 15,2017
Began 18 hour soak of 1 each of Auto Blueberry and Auto Tangerine Dream.

November 16, 2017
Placed both seeds in paper towel and covered.

November 18, 2017
Taproot first appears.

November 19, 2017
Planted seeds in Aerogarden. Connected air pump (8L/min), set it to about 40%, with 2 x 2.4" airstones.

AG15.jpg

Cheers from the darkside

Re: Greatwolf's Hydro Auto Blueberry & Tangerine Dream Grand Experiment Journal — 201

November 20, 2017
Tangerine Dream cotyledon open, but husk still attached. Blueberry above ground. Marking this as day 0. Harvest should begin between January 9 and 24. We'll see how accurate that is.

November 21, 2017
Tangerine Dream first serrated leaf started and removed her humidity dome . Blueberry cotyledon partially out. Began Advanced Nutrients at ¼ strength.

While this may seem premature, this technique was proven more than 30 years ago with standard strains and should work with Autos, so it is part of the Grand Experiment. Since there is no impact until the taproot grows out and touches the water, there should be minimal risk of loss of plant. The object is to acclimate the plants to the nutrients – even in a diluted form – as soon as possible to jump start the growth. This proved especially successful with standard strains where vegetative states were limited to 2-3 weeks in order to reduce overall height.

The Blueberry at Day 1:
D01_bb.jpg

The Tangerine Dream at Day 1:
D01_td.jpg

Re: Greatwolf's Hydro Auto Blueberry & Tangerine Dream Grand Experiment Journal — 201

Wanting to update my journal, but cannot upload photos today. Receiving message:

Unable to create image: [/home/mag420/domains/420magazine.com/public_html/gallery/uploads/310796/D05_td.jpg]

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers from the darkside

Well, a bit of a disappointment here - it appears that a number of my photos (maybe half?) cannot be uploaded. It isn't a size issue, or a name issue, or even a removal of exif data issue. I have tried various combinations, but there are many that just will not upload under any circumstances.

So for some of my info there will be few, if any photos. I still have the data I recorded, my notes, and then the next photos. But not the detail I'd like to provide. Well, I have the photos, you you don't get to see them.

I'll put up the next posts I have ready, with limited photos.:straightface:

Cheers from the darkside

November 22, 2017
The Blueberry has started first serrated leaf. Added 4ml Voodoo Juice. Current stats:
pH - 6.8 (still seems a bit high)
TDS – 149

[NOTE: During this time my back was especially bad, between weather, helping my wife prepare for Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving itself, as well as mods made to grow space described below, simple as they were. This led me to put off investigating the pH issue for longer than I should have. No excuses, just explaining. And hoping others learn from my mistakes.]

November 24, 2017
Removed LED hood from Aerogarden and installed Chinese made 6 COB LED (hooks already in place for ratchets. Changed Lighting to 20/4, where it will stay. Current stats:
pH – 6.5 (beginning to come down)
TDS – 149

November 25, 2017
Installed home-made grow tent. Made from 3 mylar blankets taped together, 3D-printed corner pieces that are stapled to basement ceiling beams, and velcro that holds the blanket walls to the corner pieces as well as allowing opening and closing of tent. Put outdoor sensor of old weather sensor inside tent so I can monitor grow room from upstairs. Current stats:
pH -6.5
TDS - 155

NOTE: Photos were taken before grow tent installed.

Aerogarden Day 5

D05_ag.jpg

Individual Blueberry and Tangerine Dream photos unable to be uploaded.

Cheers from the darkside

November 26, 2017
Second set of serrated leaves have begun. Tent temperature running a bit high an humidity a bit low. Have to find USB fan to address temperature, trying papertowel in cup for humidity. Current stats:
pH — 6.5
TDS — 170 (rising???)
Tent Temp — 77.9 (median)
Tent RH — 27% (median)

Aerogarden Day 6
D06_ag.jpg

November 27, 2017
The girls are a week old today. Changed out their water and now they have ½ nute strength. Blueberry is leaning a bit so used a pipe cleaner to help support until stem straightens and strengthens. (Only found one pipe cleaner; need to find the rest soon, as I'll need them, or have to rig up something else.) Ordered a small humidifier with Prime for half off. Current stats:
pH — 6.0
TDS — 302
Tent Temp — 74.8 (median)
Tent RH — 30% (median)

Aerogarden Day 7
20171127_073323.jpg

November 28, 2017
Measured lux at 18" - 54K. Don't have par meter, but this should be sufficient for this grow and then some. Current stats:
pH — 6.0
TDS — 328
Tent Temp — 75.0 (median)
Tent RH — 28% (median)

Back to the darkside

November 26, 2017
Second set of serrated leaves have begun. Tent temperature running a bit high an humidity a bit low. Have to find USB fan to address temperature, trying papertowel in cup for humidity. Current stats:
pH — 6.5
TDS — 170 (rising???)
Tent Temp — 77.9 (median)
Tent RH — 27% (median)

Aerogarden Day 6
D06_ag.jpg

November 27, 2017
The girls are a week old today. Changed out their water and now they have ½ nute strength. Blueberry is leaning a bit so used a pipe cleaner to help support until stem straightens and strengthens. (Only found one pipe cleaner; need to find the rest soon, as I'll need them, or have to rig up something else.) Ordered a small humidifier with Prime for half off. Current stats:
pH — 6.0
TDS — 302
Tent Temp — 74.8 (median)
Tent RH — 30% (median)

Aerogarden Day 7
20171127_073323.jpg

November 28, 2017
Measured lux at 18" - 54K. Don't have par meter, but this should be sufficient for this grow and then some. Current stats:
pH — 6.0
TDS — 328
Tent Temp — 75.0 (median)
Tent RH — 28% (median)

Back to the darkside
Man sounds great! What type of method will u be using to grow them once they get abit bigger? Since that areogarden doesn't look like it will hold 4 to 6 fully grown girls lol. But yea bro im subbed along for the ride if u don't mind. I just started up hydro again. For now im doing my girls in a hempy grow. But have plans on upgrading soon. I will be getting a dwc Setup with my nex paycheck enuf for 2 plants at once just at first. And i wana get a quantum board cob light for them as well atleast i hope so lol.

Man sounds great! What type of method will u be using to grow them once they get abit bigger? Since that areogarden doesn't look like it will hold 4 to 6 fully grown girls lol. But yea bro im subbed along for the ride if u don't mind. I just started up hydro again. For now im doing my girls in a hempy grow. But have plans on upgrading soon. I will be getting a dwc Setup with my nex paycheck enuf for 2 plants at once just at first. And i wana get a quantum board cob light for them as well atleast i hope so lol.
Welcome to the ride.

Actually, the two girls are going to stay in there for ttys whole grow, it's part of the experiment.

Cheers from the darkside

November 29, 2017
The 3rd serrated leaf has started, but there is damage on the 1st leaf on both plants, more apparent on the Tangerine Dream. Looks like too little phosphorous, but raised the lights a little, just in case. I'll look into this more later. Current stats:
pH — 6.3
TDS — 343
Tent Temp — 71.0 (median)
Tent RH — 33% (median)

Aerogarden Day 9
20171129_072908.jpg

Blueberry Day 9
20171129_072936.jpg

Individual Tangerine Dream photo unable to be uploaded.

November 30, 2017
Installed USB fan and humidifier, Ordered Z7 and pHup/phDown. Suspect I either did not clean the aerogarden well enough before starting, or the sponge I used was contaminated. Leaf damage really looks like phosphorous lockout, usually caused by pH problems. Tried calibrating pH meter with 5% vinegar solution, and it was reading nearly 1.0 too high! But then the current stats make little sense as pH is in ideal range:
pH — 5.8
TDS — 418
Tent Temp — 73.6 (median)
Tent RH — 58% (median)

December 1, 2017
Just noticed TDS meter has temperature switch, so will start recording water temperature. Still concerned about what appears to be a phosphorous lockout, but don't want to make changes just to make changes. Awaiting delivery of Z7 and pH adjustments on Monday. Current stats:
pH is in ideal range:
pH — 5.6
TDS — 424
Water Temp — 67.3 (morning)
Tent Temp — 72.7 (median)
Tent RH — 60% (median)

Aerogarden Day 11
20171201_065002.jpg

December 2, 2017
Decided to try flushing and giving 3rd feeding (full strength) early. But pH still seems high. Current stats:
pH — 6.7
TDS — 542
Water Temp — 65.0 (morning)
Tent Temp — 73.1 (median)
Tent RH — 57% (median)

December 3, 2017
4th serrated leaves started. 3D printed retaining ring for anchor points since there are no good places to use on an aerogarden. Current stats:
pH — 6.5
TDS — 591
Water Temp — 60.0 (morning)
Tent Temp — 74.3 (median)
Tent RH — 56% (median)

December 4, 2017
Well, the cats are now in hiding after my SOTTS (Sudden Onset Temporary Tourette Syndrome). Learn from my mistakes — don't trust the calibration of these Chinese made pH meters or, for that matter, the acidity of store-brand vinegar (5%??? 5% hydrochloric acid maybe!). When I checked the pH using the drops and color chart, the meter was still reading 0.8 too high, which meant it was originally off by 1.8. Hence the 5 minute full-throated stream of profanities that sent the poor cats fleeing. pH of tap water is now reading 7.0 for both meter and drops/color chart.

The Z7 also arrived, so I gave it ½ mL (per directions) and a small amount of pH-up. We'll see if this corrects things.

I also applied the 1st twisted sister to the 3rd serrated leaf pair to begin training. I'll provide more detail (including its history) in the auto growers unite thread. Basically, it involves bending the sun leaves down 45 degrees and rotating them 45 degrees relative to the leaf below. This allows light to reach the branches below without defoliation. Current stats:
pH — 5.8 (actual)
TDS — 420
Water Temp — 66.0 (morning)
Tent Temp — 70.3 (median)
Tent RH — 51% (median)

None of the Day 14 photos were able to upload.

December 5, 2017
The Z7 appears to be working! The increase in TDS is to be expected, from what I read and indicates that I was correct in my analysis. Current stats:
pH — 5.6
TDS — 769
Water Temp — 66.6 (morning)
Tent Temp — 72 (median)
Tent RH — 59% (median)

December 6, 2017
Judging from the rate of growth, the plants are recovering nicely. Current stats:
pH — 6.0
TDS — 751
Water Temp — 64.0 (morning)
Tent Temp — 71.0 (median)
Tent RH — 63% (median)

December 7, 2017
Time for the 2nd set of leaves to be tied down for the twisted sister. Current stats:
pH — 6.0
TDS — 757
Water Temp — 56.0 (morning)
Tent Temp — 71.8 (median)
Tent RH — 60% (median)

Aerogarden Day 17
20171207_071259.jpg

Blueberry Day 17
20171207_071313.jpg

Tangerine Dream Day 17
20171207_071321.jpg

[:thanks::420:for letting these 3 photos in a row upload. When will the issue be resolved?]

Back to the darkside

December 8, 2017
Today (3 days after first applying Z7), I drained the tank and refilled with full strength nutes and Z7. From now on, Z7 will be added to feedings just as Voodoo Juice has been. Plants seem to recovering well and taking to twisted sister training just fine. Current stats:
pH — 5.8
TDS — 480
Water Temp — 58.0 (morning)
Tent Temp — 72,0 (median)
Tent RH — 61% (median)

Aerogarden Day 18
20171208_102734.jpg

Blueberry Day 18
20171208_102746.jpg

Tangerine Dream Day 18
20171208_102755.jpg

December 9, 2017
1st pre-flowers on the Blueberry (1 day earlier than my earliest projection)! Blueberry stretch should start soon. And the Tangerine Dream should be about 5-days later. Current stats:
pH — 5.9
TDS — 492
Water Temp — 58.0 (morning)
Tent Temp — 71.4 (median)
Tent RH — 66% (median)

December 11, 2017
Yesterday just hurt too much to do more than top up the water. Finally found the pipe cleaners (just in time for the 3rd set of leaves)! And the Tangerine Dream has first pre-flowers, 1 day later than earliest projection! Even without individual photos, you can see the result of twisted sister training - see the side branches clearly getting enough light to keep up with main stem? This is on both sides of the plant. Current stats:
pH — 6.0
TDS — 591
Water Temp — 63.9 (morning)
Tent Temp — 69.3 (median)
Tent RH — 61% (median)

Aerogarden Day 21
20171211_093242.jpg

Individual Blueberry and Tangerine Dream photos, as well as of pre-flowers, unable to be uploaded.

Cheers from the darkside

December 12, 2017
Gave 4th feeding today. Plants are growing quickly now. Current stats:
pH — 5.8
TDS — 462
Water Temp — 63.4 (morning)
Tent Temp — 65.8 (median)
Tent RH — 67% (median)

December 13, 2017
The Blueberry is in stretch and very thirsty. Will add these to the stats I record. Current stats:
pH — 5.9
TDS — 486
Water Temp — 62.4 (morning)
Tent Temp — 68.1 (median)
Tent RH — 63% (median)
Blueberry height — 9"
Water/day — 16 oz.

December 14, 2017
Applied the 4th twisted sister to the next leaf. It's clear that this is behaving the same for autos as it did decades ago for standard strains; the lower branches are growing fairly evenly (in pairs), and should provide excellent secondary bud sites with little (probably no) stress on the plant. Current stats:
pH — 5.9
TDS — 537
Water Temp — 63.8 (morning)
Tent Temp — 65.8 (median)
Tent RH — 62% (median)
Blueberry height — 10"
Water/day — 20 oz.

December 15, 2017
Plants are growing very strong. Current stats:
pH — 5.9
TDS — 501
Water Temp — 63.7 (morning)
Tent Temp — 68.9 (median)
Tent RH — 62% (median)
Blueberry height — 11"
Water/day — 24 oz.

Aerogarden Day 25
20171215_134844.jpg

Individual Blueberry and Tangerine Dream photos, as well as of pre-flowers, unable to be uploaded.

Cheers from the darkside

December 16, 2017
The Tangerine Dream has now begun to stretch. Blueberry stretch may be accelerating. Current stats:
pH — 6.2
TDS — 318
Water Temp — 62.3 (morning)
Tent Temp — 68.2 (median)
Tent RH — 62% (median)
Blueberry height — 12.5"
Water/day — 30 oz.

December 17, 2017
Put up grow tent today (48"x48"x80"). It would have been easier (and quicker) if the included directions were for this model. Still, not difficult to figure out and managed to put it up with wife's help. Fed plants today (since it was easier to move aerogarden after emptying it). Temporarily using folding table until I figure out permanent solution. Current stats:
pH — 6.1
TDS — 474
Water Temp — 55.6 (after feeding)
Tent Temp — 66.6 (median)
Tent RH — 52% (median)
Blueberry height — 14"
Water/day — 34 oz.

December 18, 2017
Based on the breeder's info, today is the average midpoint for Blueberry and early midpoint for Tangerine Dream. We'll see just how accurate this is as the grow continues. Current stats:
pH — 6.1
TDS — 441
Water Temp — 61.4 (morning)
Tent Temp — 69.6 (median)
Tent RH — 62% (median)
Blueberry height — 15"
Water/day — 38 oz.

Aerogarden Day 28
20171218_071953.jpg

Blueberry Day 28
20171218_072004.jpg

Tangerine Dream Day 28
20171218_072010.jpg

Cheers from the darkside

Happy New Year!:yahoo:
Catching up to real time, be there very soon.

December 19, 2017
Had to turn off humidifier at night; the transpiration of the plants is almost becoming enough to humidify the tent. Current stats:
pH — 6.1
TDS — 545
Water Temp — 61.2 (morning)
Tent Temp — 69.6 (median)
Tent RH — 71% (median)
Blueberry height — 16"
Tangerine Dream height — 14"
Water/day — 42 oz.

December 20, 2017
Current stats:
pH — 6.3
TDS — 546
Water Temp — 64.5 (morning)
Tent Temp — 67.9 (median)
Tent RH — 72% (median)
Blueberry height — 17.5"
Tangerine Dream height — 15.5"
Water/day — 40 oz.

December 21, 2017
The plants have been growing 1.5" per day. Current stats:
pH — 6.3
TDS — 441
Water Temp — 63.1 (morning)
Tent Temp — 68 (median)
Tent RH — 71% (median)
Blueberry height — 19"
Tangerine Dream height — 17"
Water/day — 48 oz.

Aerogarden Day 31
20171221_064540.jpg

Blueberry Day 31
20171221_064600.jpg

Tangerine Dream Day 31
20171221_064614.jpg

Cheers from the darkside

Merry Christmas to all! Since my girls are giving me present by entering bloom on schedule, I felt it was time to begin moving my journal online, also on schedule.

With the moderators permission, this will be a little more than a normal grow journal. First, I will begin at the beginning, with all projections, mistakes, and fixes documented. Because of my back problems, it will take a while for me to get the the online caught up with real time, which will probably be around the time harvest begins, as planned. I have photos to post too, so you'll see how the grow went. I'd also like to continue the journal into a different drying technique as well as different oil extraction, building off of SweetSue's experiments. Hence the Grand Experiment part of the title.

Although this is my first journal here, and my first auto grow, I have prior medical cannabis growing experience including nearly a decade in the 80's and another 5 years in the late 90's. Both had to be suspended when jobs required drug testing. But during that time I was part of a group that developed growing and breeding techniques, as well as general knowledge, that I believe can be applied to autos and plan to test. In the process, I want to share that knowledge, as well as clear up some myths and missing knowledge I've noticed on the Auto Growers United thread.

In some of my posts you may see a reference to 'Ernie'. Ernie is a composite character. When we would meet, in order to avoid embarrassing anyone by their mistakes, suggestions, etc., they would be attributed to 'Ernie'. Bonus points for the first person to correctly identify why we chose 'Ernie'.

So what is the purpose of this Grand Experiment? There are several parts to it including:

1. CBD by itself has as effective as oxycodone in relieving my back pain (about 20-40%), which allowed me to quit taking it about 4 years ago. Will adding THC help more and allow me do some core exercises?
2. Auto growers apply techniques such as topping and LST to up their yield. Can techniques that we developed (such as twisted sister) be better?
3. Auto growers suggest that breeders exaggerate flowering times. Is this the case or is it their techniques?
4. Can a minimalist design, with proper lighting and nutrients, produce good quality and quantity?
5. Can the buds be rapidly dried while still preserving ALL active compounds (very subjective, I'll admit).
6. Can an oil equivalent to FHO by easily produced?
7. Can all of this be done by people with disabilities?

My goal is to try to produce 100 grams per plant (although I'd settle for half), within the breeders specs. How close can I get it?

GCS Auto Blueberry Feminized (80% Indica / 10% Sativa / 10% Ruderalis) 50-60 days
GCS Auto Tangerine Dream Feminized (60% Sativa / 30% Indica / 10% Ruderalis) 55-65 days
Indoor tabletop mylar blanket grow tent [replaced with 48"48"80" grow tent]
hydro (aerogarden extra)
6 COB LED light (cheap Chinese, but individual fans and drivers and I can upgrade the COB's later if necessary, so a great deal)
Advanced Nutrients pH Perfect Micro/Grow/Bloom, Voodoo Juice

November 15,2017
Began 18 hour soak of 1 each of Auto Blueberry and Auto Tangerine Dream.

November 16, 2017
Placed both seeds in paper towel and covered.

November 18, 2017
Taproot first appears.

November 19, 2017
Planted seeds in Aerogarden. Connected air pump (8L/min), set it to about 40%, with 2 x 2.4" airstones.

AG15.jpg

Cheers from the darkside
I'm subbed and I hope you can find some of the answers if not all of the answers you seek.

December 22, 2017
Since the TDS dropped below 400 already, gave the plants an extra feeding today. Current stats:
pH — 5.8
TDS — 871
Water Temp — 61.6 (morning)
Tent Temp — 69.4 (median)
Tent RH — 72% (median)
Blueberry height — 20.5"
Tangerine Dream height — 18"
Water/day — 54 oz.

December 23, 2017
Removed humidifier today (plants are maintaining humidity adequately). Current stats:
pH — 6.0
TDS — 441
Water Temp — 60.9 (morning)
Tent Temp — 68.7 (median)
Tent RH — 71% (median)
Blueberry height — 21"
Tangerine Dream height — 19"
Water/day — 48 oz.

December 24, 2017
Current stats:
pH — 6.2
TDS — 495