Green Bastard's 1st Journal - Tangerine Dream Indoor Hydro - Aerogarden - 2017

3Andron3icus3

This is going to be my first grow journal. I've only grown one successful plant directly prior to this (Jack Herer indoor from bag seed using the stock LED Aerogarden). I learned some things about using the Aerogarden when growing the first plant; most importantly I learned that the LED hood on this model eventually becomes a problem when it can't be moved any higher. To get around this problem, I modified the hood to be removable with an extended cable so it can be used as supplemental lighting as the plant outgrows it.

Grow details (so far)-
Medium: Hydroponic, using the 3 Pod LED model Aerogarden, modified to acount for height (see above).
Strain: Tangerine Dream from Barney's Farm, feminized.
Lights: LED hood alone for 2 weeks, added two 12 watt LED bulbs (also from Aerogarden, uses the same LED arrays as the hood) and big poppa HPS at 50% power for now, will be upping the HPS gradually (EDIT: The HPS bulb is 400w, at 50% that's 200w but I just switched it to 75% today i.e. 300w).
Nutrients: Stock Aerogarden nutrients for veg phase (works surprisingly well, haven't had deficiencies or issues thus far with this or the last grow) and General Hydroponics FloraBloom to be slowly introduced during transition to flowering phase.
It's worth noting that I also tried something a little fun this time and bought Tarantula from Advanced Nutrients and added the recommended amount at the beginning of the grow. Compared to my last grow it has had a noticable effect on the roots, causing much faster and healthier growth in them and avoiding any root rot concerns.

I'm posting this later than originally planned, so the plant is actually already 4 weeks old (counting from the day the first fan leaves poked out). I have documented the growth through plenty of pictures, however, and plan on updating this thread as the grow continues. Pictures will be in the following posts.

Her name is Audrey II (as in the plant from Little Shop of Horrors) and she's beautiful so far. I was extremely worried about this strain after doing my research, but it was a free seed from a friend so I figured I would at least try. So far, I'm glad I did. I could be wrong, but it seems I have one of the few good phenotypes of Tangerine Dream; it's a bushy Indica-like slow grower that, according to the few others that have had it, actually gives proper yields. Here's hoping!

I'm using a closet that has approximately 3x3x6 of usable space for the plant. This is one of many reasons why right now it's ideal for me to only grow one at a time. I have a small to medium sized fan on 24/7 that can't be seen in the pictures. I monitor and control my PH by keeping it as close to 5.8-6.2 as possible using as little PH Up/Down as possible. I keep the temp between 78-82 degrees during her daytime and around 70-74 degrees during her night.

I started by germinating the seed for two days. The taproot came out quick and strong, which I took as a good sign. I moved the seed to the empty Aerogarden pod, taproot down, and within three days a small sprout with green was pushing out. It's important to note that I used the humidity dome cap that comes with the Aerogarden pod; I'm able to keep it fairly humid in the closet when necesarry, but I still think it helps a good bit. Once the sprout was ready for removal of the humidity cap (5/10/17) I upped the light schedule (from the stock 16/8 it defaults to) and PH'd the water (approximately 6.2). This is the point I usually consider "Day 1" since I've seen many a plant die before this. She's been on a consistent 18/6 light schedule since then. The growth from there is documented in the pictures below.

I added a fourth dose of nutes to the reservoir on day 1, a half dose on 5/16/17, and just shy of a full dose on 5/29/17 after the first reservoir flush. I had read that this strain in particular is fairly susceptible to nute burn so I was careful to watch her for any negative responses to the schedule, but she seemed more than happy with it. After that I added a half dose on 6/5/17 and will continue to do so weekly. The next scheduled dose will be 6-12-17.

Right now my plan is to give her at least one more week in veg, maybe two. I appreciate any/all feedback, and please remember I'm still very new at this so be gentle!

Special thanks to CMJJMC2000 for inspiring me! I wouldn't have considered using an Aerogarden viable before reading his terrific grow journals on this forum!

4-27-17.jpg
5-08-17.jpg
5-11-17.jpg
5-11-17b.jpg
5-14-17.jpg
5-14-17b.jpg

Ok, so I'm back with an update guys! First off, I wanna apologize for not updating more frequently. Life has been coming at me fast and I just haven't had the time to sit down and type up an update until now. As always, pics will be in following posts so if you just want eye candy feel free to skip down.

So to pick up where we left off, I decided due to constraints on my overall timeline to start the 12/12 cycle on 6/12/17, four days after my last post. Each week from then I've been slowly phasing out the stock nutrients and supplementing more and more of the Bloom nutes. This Saturday (7/15/17) will be the first flush to include no stock nutes and ONLY Bloom.

After switching to 12/12 I noticed about 3-4 days of slowing vegetative growth, then the height growth spurt kicked in. In the span of five days she grew 4 1/2 inches, by far the fastest growth rate of her life. After that the growth in general slowed as the pre-buds began fattening. If anyone has any questions about the aerogarden or my experiences limiting the size of a plant just let me know I'll be more than happy to share my experience. The same goes for any tips anyone would like to share, I'm always open to advice.

06-13-17.jpg

Day one of 12/12 light cycle, still very bushy.

06-18-17a.jpg

06-18-17b.jpg

One week later, the beginning of week 2 of 12/12. She began showing some early pistils and signs of what's to come!

06-26-17a.jpg

06-26-17b.jpg

The beginning of week 3 of 12/12. More pistils developing, and old ones getting bigger and more prominent. Also, look at the results of that stretch in action!

07-04-17.jpg

The beginning of week 4 of 12/12. Budlet clusters everywhere!
Also, the stretch is slowing to a hault now.

07-10-17a.jpg

07-10-17b.jpg

The beginning of week 5 of 12/12. This is pretty close to where it's at now, finally focusing on plumping up the buds! This is by far my favorite time to be watching the progress.

I've put a lot of thought into that after doing a ton of reading. During the veg stage I trimmed a total of 5 fan leaves but only once the entire leaf up to the stem was yellow. I was much more willing to do that during the veg stage because I'm being especially cautious about shocking the plant or defoliating too much, this is still my second plant so I'm treading lightly. I was planning on trimming the large yellow leaves near the bottom that you're referring to, but I also read that defoliating during the flowering stage can shock the plant worse and slow flowering progress and I also happen to be trying to keep this within a specific time frame so I'm worried that would add too much time. I'm actually very conflicted at the moment because I still want to trim a few of the big ones making shade when they finish yellowing (any day now) but I am still worried that such a small plant won't appreciate losing leaves at this stage. I'd appreciate any input on the decision for sure.

No problem. The main thing is the plant will continue feeding those dying leaves nutrients and food. So instead of fattening up your buds it's wasting the energy on leaves that will fall off soon due to lack of light.

The other thing is budsites need lots of light to fatten, especially the lower ones. With all those extra leaves and foilage in there blocking the light from penetrating the canopy, it'll end up producing popcorn, or larfy buds.

It's good to be cautious, especially in flower. But remember it's called weed for a reason, it grows like weed and it's hard to kill lol.

If you remove leaves, only do a couple a day, this prevents shock from happening to your plant. Start with the lower ones that are sick and yellow. Then as the days pass, just pick a few in the middle that are blocking light from budsites.

And happy to help

What are you using as far as nutes? Looks a little deficient.

I've put a lot of thought into that after doing a ton of reading. During the veg stage I trimmed a total of 5 fan leaves but only once the entire leaf up to the stem was yellow. I was much more willing to do that during the veg stage because I'm being especially cautious about shocking the plant or defoliating too much, this is still my second plant so I'm treading lightly. I was planning on trimming the large yellow leaves near the bottom that you're referring to, but I also read that defoliating during the flowering stage can shock the plant worse and slow flowering progress and I also happen to be trying to keep this within a specific time frame so I'm worried that would add too much time. I'm actually very conflicted at the moment because I still want to trim a few of the big ones making shade when they finish yellowing (any day now) but I am still worried that such a small plant won't appreciate losing leaves at this stage. I'd appreciate any input on the decision for sure.

I would remove any fan leaves that are blocking buds from the light. It's not gonna hurt your lil girl. She may slow down a bit, but they yield will be better.

I'm not too concerned about the yellowing being caused by the nutes, I've mostly ruled that out due to the way she's been responding and the fact that these same nutes haven't given me issues before. I believe the yellowing is, in fact, just a part of the flowering. It looks like a lot of the plant is yellow in those pictures but that was mostly due to my fear of trimming those. I have trimmed at least 9 more leaves now, 4 of them large older fan leaves and all of them completely yellow. Now I'm able to see more light making it to the center area of the plant and it makes it more visually clear just how many leaves are still green. I'll be posting another update with pictures to reflect that in another couple days. Today marks the start of week 6 in flowering, though! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it shouldn't be more than 3-4 weeks left of waiting from here!

Hey guys, it's been a week since the last pics posted. The buds are still fattening slowly but I'm now noticing some darkening pistils on each bud center. I snapped some pics to show it off a bit.

20170719_103354.jpg

20170719_103411.jpg

In regards to the yellow leaves, I'm almost done trimming all dead and yellow leaves (2-4 a day to not shock her), but some of what you can see in that original picture was actually caused by mild light burn which I forgot to mention before. I'll get a good picture tonight to show, but some of the leaves appear slightly yellow where they were too close to the plant in the first few days of flowering, but those leaves haven't gotten any worse since I corrected the lighting distance so I'm choosing to keep them on since they're at least half green or more. As always, any feedback is appreciated guys! Anyone got any guesses for when my harvest window will be? I'm three days into week 6 of flowering and I'm really hoping the harvest window will overlap with my upcoming birthday (last day of this month) as a neat little gift to myself.

Back
Top Bottom