Green Crack - Week After Planted Still Have Seed On Top - HELP

magicfingers

420 Member
Hello! Was just wondering if it is normal for it to take a week (and a day) or longer for the seed to completely pop off of the plant and for it to show it's first set of leaves. I attached a few images to help you grasp what I mean - please help! Worried I did something wrong. I put them under the light when I woke up and noticed they have all popped the soil - thank you in advance!

Nothing to get too excited about. It happens, not by anything you did. I have used tweezers to knock the shell off as sometimes they just don't want to separate. Gently nudge the shell to get it to pop off. It could prevent proper development though I think the plant will usually win out and the shell falls on its own.

Happy growing! :Namaste:

I also noticed quite a bit of stretch going on. Is it possible to get the light a little closer to the plant?

Thanks for the info brother! They were at around 21 inches away from the light. I moved the light down to around 18.5" away from the top of the soil now. I got one of the seeds off carefully with sterile tweezers, and the other ones look about ready as well. Thank you so much for the help!

I also noticed quite a bit of stretch going on. Is it possible to get the light a little closer to the plant?
The stretch is because the seed is blocking the light from the first greens. Gently help pop off the helmet taking care not to damage those first greens that I forget the name of At the moment.

Yeah, gently pick the seed off. The stretch is normal. Be careful with the light being too close. 24 inches is the norm for the first three to four weeks. You can also place a light fan on them during the day to help strengthen the stalks "I do mean light, too much wind can damage them". Keep in mind brother, cannabis is a incredibly tough plant, and it can survive a lot more than you think. You will be fine, the worst thing a new farmer/grower can do is over think things. Learn as you go, my biggest tips are: water less, cut all feeding amounts in half of what instructions say, do a peroxide flush half way into veg stage, and then again half way through flowering stage. ALWAYS INSPECT YOUR SOIL UNDER A MAGNIFYING GLASS ONCE A WEEK OR EVERY OTHER WEEK.

Be careful with the light being too close. 24 inches is the norm for the first three to four weeks.

Kind of depends on the light, lol. 24" would be far too... far for a 23-watt CFL, for example, and it might be too close for a 1,000-watt HPS (although the former is obviously more sensible to use for newborn seedlings than the latter).

You can also place a light fan on them during the day to help strengthen the stalks

Another thing that can be done to strengthen stems - although care must be taken(!) - is to twist them. The gardener needs to hold the bottom of the stem so that he/she doesn't twist it right out of the ground, and if this thing is done with the force of a wrecking ball (or even much at all in the way of force), one is very likely to end up with a piece of a plant in each hand. But it's pretty easy to figure it out, and the process does work well.

do a peroxide flush half way into veg stage

Is that recommendation just for synthetic/salt-based nutrient grows? I've never used the things myself, but I do seem to (vaguely) recall reading warnings about using H₂O₂ with so-called "organic" nutrients. Although this might have been in reference to hydroponics (and oxygenation, and the possibility of "runaway" microbial growth), rather than with soil or soilless grows. Personally, when I was running big DWC hydroponic tubs, I supplemented with H₂O₂ every time I added solution (and often when I wasn't adding solution). Roots love oxygen - and H₂O₂ decomposes rapidly into H₂O and O₂.

Back
Top Bottom