Greenhouse Seed Company - Terpene Profiles of Strains (Pictorial)

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Greenhouse Seed Company has just released Terpene Profiles for all their strains. These terpene profiles are obtained using the Head Space Method of Liquid Gas Chromatography, and are accurate in indicating terpenoid profiles of strains to help growers with breeding, and also application in medicinal use. I hope you find these useful. You may want to pay close attention to the levels of Myrcene in each of the strains.
For those of you who do not know what Terpenes are, they are basically the aromas of the strains, and come from chemical compounds in the resins. They play a very important part in the high from Cannabis, and are essential in medicinal applications.

legenda-terpens1.jpg

AICE1.jpg

AMS1.jpg

ASH1.jpg

AUH1.jpg

HWS1.jpg

NH2.jpg

NL5HA1.jpg

SSH1.jpg

TW1.jpg

WR4.jpg

WW17.jpg

TERPENS IN RESIN

The Green House Seed Company has started a real breeding revolution by providing customers and anyone interested with terpens profiles of the resin of all its strains. The 2008-2009 seed catalogue contains an example of this analysis, and the Green House website has the updated profiles for all strains. It is truly an innovative step away from the effect-only approach to cannabis and into the world of smell and flavor, the connoisseur way, "a la carte".

Cannabis is seen by many as a medicine or a recreational drug, but the more subtle aspect of it being an aromatic plant goes too often unnoticed. The herbs we use in our kitchen are considered aromatic plants because they contain a particular terpene profile that gives a distinctive flavor. Cannabis is so complex from this point of view that the possible combinations are endless, creating a broad spectrum of aromas and flavors that differ with the strains and the way they are cultivated. We are opening a new way of breeding, a new frontier for all growers with a sweet tooth.

To give you an idea of what a terpene is, a quick look at Wikipedia reveals what follows:
The word terpenes defines a large and varied class of hydrocarbons, produced primarily by plants (conifers and cannabis) and more rarely by insects. Terpens are the major components of resin, and of oils and extracts produced from resin. The name "terpene" is derived from the word "turpentine". Terpenes function as smell and taste molecules, and also as biosynthetic building blocks for the organism of almost all creatures. Terpenes are one of the most important components of the resin and essential oils of many types of plants and flowers.
Enough with the science. Let’s see how these terpens are affecting cannabis in the process of breeding on flavor.

The list of 16 terpens analyzed by Green House Seed Company is a selection of the most characteristic and recognizable ones, the ones involved in the distinctive flavor of any strain of cannabis.

A few examples:
Alpha-Pinene is an organic compound, found in the oils of many species of many species of pine trees. It is also found in the essential oil of rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis). 2 types of Alpha-pinene exist in nature, one more common in European pines, the other more common in North America. A mix of the two is present in the oil extracted from the eucalyptus tree. In the Green House range this terpene is at the highest level in the Super Silver Haze. So if you like pine-tree smelling and tasting weed, think of growing this strain, or use it for crossings.
Limonene is a hydrocarbon, classified as a cyclic terpene. It is a colourless liquid at room temperatures with an extremely strong smell of oranges. It takes its name from the lemon because lemon and other citrus fruits contain high quantities of this compound, which is responsible for much of their smell. In the Green house Strains is particularly high in the Lemon Skunk and the Big Bang.
Sabinene is a natural monoterpene and it is isolated from the essential oils of a variety of plants, mostly oak trees. Sabinene is one of the chemical compounds that contributes to the spiciness of black pepper and is a major constituent of carrot seed oil. It also occurs in tea tree oil at a low concentration. Again, this terpene is high in the Super Silver Haze and in the Arjan’s Ultra Haze #1.
Myrcene, or β-myrcene, is also an organic compound. It is classified as a hydrocarbon and a monoterpene. It is obtained from the essential oil from various plants: bay, verbena, myrcia (from which is gets its name) and others. Myrcene is one of the most important chemicals used in the perfumery industry. Because of its pleasant odor, it is occasionally used directly. But it is also highly valued as an intermediate for the preparation of flavor and fragrance chemicals such as menthol, citronella, and geraniol. It is extremely high in the White Widow.
Many more terpenes are present in the resin and analyzed, and this represent a guide, a useful tool for a more mature type of smoker, conscious about flavor, and for all breeders interested in following a particular aroma in their lines.

the data looks nice I'm dumb about terpenes but it seems to me that the alaskan ice has lots of all the terpenes...

but really is there a terpenes for dummies link the mango thing a while ago had you quoting Ed R. and that talked about mycrene
one of the terpenes in this post's list

but seriously could you add links to tutorials or journal articles orother references for your 420 friends who aren't upto snuff
on volatile organic chemicals and just what is known about the
connections between terpenes and buzz quality

This is a great insight into terpenes and liquid gas chromatograhy. Cannabis-Science.com - Cannabis Science, Cannabis Research and Education, Marijuana Science, Marijuana Research, Scientists, Pharmacology, Cannabis News
Also, Robert Connel Clarke's book on hash covers all the terpenes very well. Rosenthal's next book out early next year has 3 chapters devoted to terpenes. Rosenthal does very little re grow thse days, and has been doing research with the chinese on terpenes. I talked about this with him at Mardi Grass this year.

Roughly: Terpenes are a class of chemicals - there are hundreds in nature. Hops, catnip, lemongrass - most herbs, spices and flowers have terpenes. Perfumes, scents and artificial flavors are made from terpenes. Many of them play important roles in giving your pot its smell, taste and YES EVEN THE BUZZ. They DO matter but we'll save that for later.

Several terpenes demonstrate medicinal properties: Eucalyptus helps folks with asthma, etc. In pot, several terpenes show signs of 1) Making the THC buzz more pleasant with less anxiety 2) reducing pain/inflammation 3) Increase blood flow in capillaries (increase circulation) 4) There are more medical claims about terpenes and they are VERY IMPORTANT to the future of cannabis. I promise.

The idea will become more common to heads in the years to come. For now, look to Amsterdam for the future of cannabis. Cannabis-Science.com

Racefan, with respect, I have to disagree. You commented yourself that terpenes involve manipulation of smell, flavor and effects. You refer to the average stoner that just wants to get high - these days isn't the 'average stoner' very much involved in trying a variety of strains that vary in taste, smell and effects?

Some terpenes are very much likely, as you stated, to alter the effects of some cannabinoids. Some terpenes are said to reduce the anxiety that THC causes while others can contribute to the very mild sedative effects - these are directly related to the buzzz, the experience and the average stoner. I believe that average stoners like variety, not to have the same thing all the time - that gets old. Ever been 'cursed with a single variety for a really long time? - it's gets really old even when it is good. The demand for exotic varieties is helping fuel research, popularity and and the legalization movement.

The driving engine for all these new flavors is partly because the average stoner is the end-user creating demand and popularity. If we were to suddenly kill off every strain besides pressed Mexican at 5% THC, then the average stoner is going to be pissed!

Loosely speaking... Think about all the kinds of liquor and alcohol out there. Even the most hardcore alcoholic has her preferences on taste, smell and the nuances in buzz variation from different products (beer vs. wine). She may have access to moonshine (ethanol) but she might still prefer Pabst even though it has the same old alcohol as all the others - she's just an average consumer and she really enjoys the buzz, but still... beer is full of terpenes and they greatly affect the flavor and shelf-stability.

Ever had pure THC? Ever had too many brownies? Those can be uncomfortable experiences for some people. Terpenes are said to make the average stoner's buzz more pleasant and relaxing. They may not be aware of this fact, but it is important.

Only a couple cents...you might disagree and that's cool too. Peace.

Hey Biscanna, thank you for your insightful posts. I agree with nearly all of what you posted. I spoke at length with Ed Rosenthal at Mardi Grass, and he told me that most of his work these days is related to terpenes. He does little re growing anymore.
One thing Ed told me that fascinated me, is that he is looking into 'value adding', whereby selected terpenes are somehow added to buds post harvest, to improve the quality of the high. At first I thought this a bit dubious, thinking along the lines of watering down whiskey, but then I realised that this immediately gave scope to allow users to tailor buds to personal tastes.

:) I'm wrong more than I'm right - always question anything coming from this guy :)

The 'value-adding' idea seems to be folks capitalizing on cannabis consumers. Who can blame them? There was candy, like "Kronic Candy" and "Pot Suckers" that took advantage of the same ideas by using synthetic cannabis oil mixtures (with some terpenes, minus the cannabinoids) and giving folks the dank sweet essence in a tasty treat. Some other folks sell cannabis-scented perfume and aerosol sprays.

To have the option to add a little more essence to mediocre pot would be great. Though there could be a problem with folks using additives to falsely inflate the quality of their product. Usually the smell is sufficient to make a rough decision about the quality of cannabis, but if it has been sprayed with terpene supplements then we can't be sure.

I wish Ed the best, he is among the Gods and stands as a unique part of a strong foundation for the Cannabis Body of Knowledge. Without him we would be many years behind.

Thanks Biscanna. It's funny in a way but back in Nimbin, I had idle thoughts on seeing dispensaries in California offering terpene blends to go with buds they were selling. I thought of the analogy at a cocktail bar, but in this case it was budtails lol.
I honestly think this will happen in the not too distant future.
For myself, I am trialling a cannabis tincture with added Myrcene, and have noticed some profound benefits.
The base tincture I use is a tinc made from a strain called Clever Man. It is great for pain, hunger, and dream suppression, but lacks a bit in mood lift. When I add 1ml of Myrcene to 125ml of tinc, the new tinc takes on a much better mood-lifting quality. It is very noticeable! Myrcene is known to be a powereful analgesic, anti-inflammatory, mood modulator. It has been used in the perfume industry for years, as well as aromatherapy applications.

Myrcene is a sticky clear amber coloured resin, not unlike the resin on a Cannabis plant.

Thanks for mentioning this! This deserves some attention.

...and for cocktail bars...it makes sense. Oxygen bars use in-line vaporizors to add various flavors that the customer chooses.

I forgot to mention that many cannabinoids and cannabinoid precursors ARE terpenes. Cannabinoids are roughly two molecules put together: one is a terpene and one is called a phenol (an aromatic alcohol). The result is often another, more complex terpene.

Terpens and cannabis: breeding on flavor

The Green House Seed Company has started a real breeding revolution by providing customers (and anyone interested) with terpens profiles of the resin of all its strains. The 2008-2009 seed catalogue contains an example of this analysys for the White Widow, and Jack is busy updating the Green House website with all updated profiles for the other strains. It is truly an innovative step away from the effect-only approach to cannabis and into the world of smell and flavor, the conoisseur way, “a la carte”.
Cannabis is seen by many as a medicine or a recreational drug, but the more subtle aspect of it being an aromatic plant goes too often unnoticed. The herbs we use in our kitchen are considered aromatic plants because they contain a particular terpene profile that gives them a distinctive flavor. Cannabis is so complex from this point of view that the possible combinations are endless, creating a broad spectrum of aromas and flavors that differ with the strains and the way they are cultivated. We are opening a new way of breeding, a new frontier for all growers with a sweet tooth.
To give you an idea of what a terpene is, a quick look at Wikipedia reveals what follows:
The word terpenes defines a large and varied class of hydrocarbons, produced primarily by plants (conifers and cannabis) and more rarely by insects. Terpens are the major components of resin, oils and extracts. The name "terpene" is derived from the word "turpentine". Terpenes function as smell and taste molecules, and also as biosynthetic building blocks for the organism of almost all creatures. Terpenes are one of the most important components of the resin and essential oils of many types of plants and flowers.

Enough with the science. Let’s see how these terpens are affecting cannabis in the process of breeding on flavor.

The list of 16 terpens analyzed by Green House Seed Company is a selection of the most carachteristic and recognizable ones, the ones involved in the distinctive flavor of any strain of cannabis.
A few example:

Alpha-Pinene is an organic compound, found in the oils of many species of many species of pine trees. It is also found in the essential oil of rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis). 2 types of Alpha-pinene exist in nature, one more common in European pines, the other more common in North America. A mix of the two is present in the oil extracted from the eucalyptus tree. In the Green House range this terpene is at the highest level in the Super Silver Haze. So if you like pine-tree smelling and tasting weed, think of growing this strain, or use it for crossings.

Limonene is a hydrocarbon, classified as a cyclic terpene. It is a colourless liquid at room temperatures with an extremely strong smell of oranges. It takes its name from the lemon because lemon and other citrus fruits contain high quantities of this compound, which is responsible for much of their smell. In the Green house Strains is particularly high in the Lemon Skunk and the Big Bang.

Sabinene is a natural monoterpene and it is isolated from the essential oils of a variety of plants, mostly oak trees. Sabinene is one of the chemical compounds that contributes to the spiciness of black pepper and is a major constituent of carrot seed oil. It also occurs in tea tree oil at a low concentration. Again, this terpene is high in the Super Silver Haze and in the Arjan’s Ultra Haze #1.

Myrcene, or β-myrcene, is also an organic compound. It is classified as a hydrocarbon and a monoterpene. It is obtained from the essential oil from various plants: bay, verbena, myrcia (from which is gets its name) and others. Myrcene is one of the most important chemicals used in the perfumery industry. Because of its pleasant odor, it is occasionally used directly. But it is also highly valued as an intermediate for the preparation of flavor and fragrance chemicals such as menthol, citronella, and geraniol. It is extremely high in the White Widow.

Many more terpenes are present in the resin and analyzed, and this represent a guide, a useful tool for a more mature type of smoker, conscious about flavor, and for all breeders interested in following a particular aroma in their lines.

Besides the flavour issues, recent studies suggest that terpenes may play a role in the psychoactivity of cannabinoids. But this is a different story……

I would like to take this thread a step further, diving into a metaphor that illustrates the philosophy behind these terpens studies.

To a cannabis breeder and connoisseur smoker, these graphs are like a recipe-book for a Chef de Cusine.
They tell you what are the ingredients in the preparation, and in which quantities those ingredients are employed.
Nevertheless, every Chef will create a slightly different dish, based on many variables like the type of pan used, the type of oven, the origin, quality and quantity of ingredients, the freshness of the products used, and many more.
Never two dishes will be exactely the same, because this is not a mathematical science, is an art.

In the same way, breeders can use the terpens info to determine specific causes-effect relations between a perceived smell or flavor, and the actual presence of molecules leading the senses to that particular smell or flavor.

It is not mathematics, it's just a general overview, a guide.

Don't forget, there are more than just 16 terpens to flavor and smell.
We are not braking down the magic of nature here, we are just trying to define some criteria where to start playing. With our favorite plant ;-)

keep it green guys, smell the ripeness, taste the sweetness

Back
Top Bottom