Greensand for amending (fertile) PNW clay.

Boombollie

Hi all. I'm digging holes and would like to know what folks think about greensand. I've heard wonderful things about it breaking up soil for drainage, etc. I can't afford a cubic ft of fancy soil per hole (and I'm way more into using and amending the soil on our old homestead ANYWAYS), so I'm planning on mixing the native dirt, which is fairly fertile and hasn't been sprayed for at least 70+ years (if ever, says my wife), with composted horse shit (from local stables, mixed in with the doug fir shavings they used for stall bedding), greensand, and possibly a balanced organic, granulated, all purpose 4-6-2 fertilizer from Down to Earth. Oh, with extra bone meal, POSSIBLY. Thoughts?

Background - commercial organic farmer of everything BUT pot at this point, so I think I get the basics of plants and botany, etc...

Hi all. I'm digging holes and would like to know what folks think about greensand. I've heard wonderful things about it breaking up soil for drainage, etc. I can't afford a cubic ft of fancy soil per hole (and I'm way more into using and amending the soil on our old homestead ANYWAYS), so I'm planning on mixing the native dirt, which is fairly fertile and hasn't been sprayed for at least 70+ years (if ever, says my wife), with composted horse shit (from local stables, mixed in with the doug fir shavings they used for stall bedding), greensand, and possibly a balanced organic, granulated, all purpose 4-6-2 fertilizer from Down to Earth. Oh, with extra bone meal, POSSIBLY. Thoughts?

Background - commercial organic farmer of everything BUT pot at this point, so I think I get the basics of plants and botany, etc...

sounds fine to me just get the soil adj. to 6.5 the fir will probably raise the ph

That's the plan. What makes you think I'm a kid, by the way. Just curious.

Right on. Like I said, just curious. I'm sure that more than a few of us are guilty of stoned typing.:smokin:

Back
Top Bottom