Greenthumb J's BCNL Producer Grow - 800w DWC - First Grow Ever! Multi-Strain

Greenthumb J

Hello Everyone!

:welcome: to my very first online Grow Journal!

I am welcoming everyone on :420: to follow along on my first endeavor into cannabis culitvation. I am hoping to pick up lots of useful and priceless information to better my skills and grow some top shelf marijuana.

I am going to start with my grow set up. I thought long and hard (not really actually) about how i should grow. I wanted it as stealth (mainly just smell) free as possible as i was going to grow in a rented basement suite i lived in. I quickly moved cause it was a shit living arrangement. I originally wanted a grow tent complete with lights and a hydro set up. i'm thinking now i should have gone this way cause i would have less height restrictions as i do now. I opted for a more compact and self contained unit from a local company here in BC called BC Northern Lights. They sell tents (which i was originally going to get, complete with their automated hydro set up and lighting and shit) but the sales rep made a good point that if i ever need to dismantle my grow in a pinch for some reason, moving large plants around and taking down a tent would take some time i may not have. So i spent the extra money and purchased their "Producer" model grow box. It wasn't cheap and it took me and my girlfriend a long time and some hard work and long hours to save up for it. Its also taken a huge financial toll on our upcoming trip to Las Vegas for Electric Daisy Carnival next month in June. Literally no money in savings! thank god the festival tickets are paid for! :party: (albeit expensive VIP!! i love to spend money it seems!)

Here she is. The T5's on the top there are not being used in my current setup of this box. They will be however once the plants stretch in flower, and lower bud sites need light, and they wont burn the leaves that come into contact.
IMG_20140429_224654.jpg

So heres some stats for ya:

-2 400w ballasts that power each 400w bulb on either side. Came with PlantMax 400w HPS and MH, 2 each.
- Air pump and water pump controlled by internal CPU, lights on automated timer also controlled by CPU. Light cycle controlled at flip of a switch (and change of the bulbs too!). 18/6 is from 6am-midnight. 12/12 is from 9 am-9pm
- 35 litre, 18 site hydrotub that does DWC and top feed. Automated watering every morning @ 8:45 via water pump thats controlled to pump via internal CPU
- T5 light upgrade. Two 4' T5 lights that sit on the hydro lid providing light to lower canopy and bud sites. would burn young bushy plants that hit the t5's. ideal for plants that have grown above the t5's
- Veg upgrade included the 2 400w MH bulbs mentioned before as well as a 125w sunblaster CFL and a nursey tray and propagation dome.
- "Silver" package of Nutes. Future Harvest Plant Life brand. Grow(1-2-5), Common(2-0-0), Flower(0-4-4), Bud Boom(0-6-5), Carbo Blast(0-1-0) and Super B+(0-2-1). Also got some rooting gel for cloning. Also currently using Aquashield in my water res.
- Can-250 carbon scrubbing filter. 10lbs
- co2 regulator and built in distribution maintained @ 1600 ppm supposedly.

The Nutrient line up:
IMG_20140430_014933.jpg

Carbon Filter and co2 regulator
IMG_20140430_014943.jpg

I currently have 4 strains growing: (in order of quantity of plants, will post a pic and current age with each strain.)
After i describe my strains i will describe the problems they dealt with at a young age.

- 6 Malawi Gold from Malberry Seeds. Started with 12 regular seeds, 6 survived, and i think theyre all female.. at least. Research tells me these seeds are African landrace sativas from the Malawi region of Africa. Very long flowering time. Have read people having flowered this strain for 14+ weeks before she was ready for harvest! thats crazy!
They are currently 41 days from seed. From what i have read about others grows and how this strain grows, i should have put them into flower WEEKS ago cause they are going to stretch like crazy and i have height constrictions! although i snapped a top off LST'n one of them so we will see how that grows out.

This picture is of them yesterday, a day after their first LST. Theres a White Widow on the top right in the pic.
IMG_20140505_124445.jpg

- 4 White Rhino (feminized) from Greenhouse Seed Co. Started with 10, 4 survived. 1 is 5 days older than the other 3 and one is a runt, but now starting to explode. Probs nute lock out. They have been getting a much higher dose of nutes than they should be getting, mainly cause i have had them in the same DWC tub as plants that are 2-3 weeks older, but it hasn't seemed to affect them one bit, except the runt i think. I really want to clone these plants or buy some more of these seeds.. most likely take clones because they look amazing.

Here's an overview of them. Theyre centre frame. The middle one is the oldest. the runt is hiding behind the Widows.
IMG_20140505_124453.jpg

- 3 White Widow (feminized) from Greenhouse Seed Co. I Started with 20! This strain was supposed to be my first grow.. all 20. My grow box grows 18 (it used to!) plants to flower so i planned to pop all 20 seeds and have 2 mothers for clones. I had some issues with damping off with some after they popped. the rest that died were because the water res in the grow box wasn't able to be cleaned properly, so it provided a perfect place for some root rot to develop. The widows that were salvageable were saved with Aquashield, also the Malawi gold that suffered root rot were saved using AquaShield.

Here is the 2 largest Widows, they are all 48 days from seed:
IMG_20140505_124437.jpg
IMG_20140505_124637.jpg

That is my strain count.

The problems they had when they were young seedlings was mainly the hydrotub they sat in.. Here's a picture for you to get an idea of what it looks like. Excuse my lazy dog sleeping on it.
IMG_20140430_121117.jpg

That thing is large and next to impossible to give it a proper cleaning. You cant really take it out once you have rooted plants in there cause its pretty damn impossible to take out your plants from the box to clean the water res. its 4ft wide! I'm almost certain that it caused a case of root rot in my plants, and i didn't act soon enough in getting some Aquashield and lost a bunch of plants.. that is why i have plants that are like almost a month apart from when i popped the seed. Plants died and i hurried to get plants germed and into their new homes so i can make a full 18 plant harvest from this and hopefully see some return on my huge investment, inculding my seeds i paid a load of money for.

However, i was unhappy with the way the hydro tub was just to inconvenient to change the water and clean out properly so i didn't have any more root problems. So as you can see in the last picture, its sitting on my patio catching sun rays (raindrops mostly here in BC) while my babies are loving their new homes.

I made simple DWC containers and utilized my existing air pump in the grow box that powers Four 12' air stones to provide so much air to the water res and roots, they dont' know what to do with themselves.. I went to Walmart and got 3-38 litre Rubbermaid roughneck totes in dark blue and drilled 8-3.5" holes in 2 of the 3 lids, as i only have 14 plants at the moment. Cut a V in each of the lids and the containers so that i could put my airline tubes into the containers without pinching the air line, while also making sure that there are no light leaks.. seems relatively good so far. Each DWC container has 2 - 12" airstones inside, one for each row of plants, and have 7 plants per container. I only give a light top watering once i feel the rockwool start to get dry-ish on the top. i have block covers, and the bubbles in the containers keep the rockwool very moist. Top feeds occur every 2-4 days? i'm thinking that i can go a couple more days without having to water them from the top.. i think that would make it 6 days. humidity is up around 60% cause i had a container of water to evaporate into the grow box cause i was worried humidity was too low earlier in growth.. guess its actually not as dry in there as i thought. Took the water out of the grow box and humidity is around 50%ish

Here's a picture of my ladies new homes:
IMG_20140503_234629.jpg

The clone dome thats in there is trying to save a top that i broke off when doing some experiment with LST on my sativas cause i keep reading that they like to stretch in flower and can grow like 9-12ft tall outdoors.

Just about 2 weeks ago, my Girlfriend came home from the hydro store (on my request of course) and returned with a MagniWing fixed socket light shade all wired up, a 600w Gavita dimmable digiatal ballast, a new PH and TDS pen (although the tds pen says CD600 on it and my ph pen says PH600. i'm hoping the hydro guys gave my GF the right meter. But its all good..) they threw in a $30 yo yo system for my magniwing for free.. she forgot to get hydroton rocks for my cloning goals, but that can come next check. i dont have calibrating solution for TDS pen so i'm not sure if any readings with it will be accurate but it does read measurements of PPM so i'm guessing the hydro guys gave my girl the right one... I do have 7.0 buffer solution for my ph pen, and it was bang on calibrated. So maybe the TDS pen is too. They are made by the same company (Milwaukee) She also brought home 36 2" net pots for my cloning set up i plan to build. and i think that it all she got.

Here's the new "grow expansion 1.0" gear:
MagniWing fixed socket
IMG_20140430_031526.jpg
IMG_20140430_031515.jpg

Gavita Dimmable digital 600w ballast
IMG_20140430_031501.jpg

I've since bought a cheap hygrometer from Walmart for like 9.58 or whatever. It seems like its shit, but i guess it works cause i place it in front of my intake fan in the box and the temp goes down. Move it to the other side and temp n shit adjusts accordingly.. Temperature stays around 24 degrees (72F i think?) consistently. RH in the grow chamber is 50%, was a little higher cause i had some water in a container to raise RH cause i thought it was too low.

I plan to buy individual DWC containers for my mother(s), or use a large ass one as i already have the tote for it, and drill probably 5" or 6" holes into the top for the net pots the mothers will sit in. i only have 3" rockwool cubes and the larger cubes by Grodan only have a 1.5" hole for the starter cubes in the middle.. no good for transplanting 3" cubes. So i'm thinking i will probably use Hydroton clay pebbles for the mother plants with the 1" cubes in the middle from transplanted clones turning into mothers. i'll have to top feed more often i'm sure, but by this time, i wont be working so full time as much and i can focus on my grow My goal is to have 4 moms growing happily in a huge DWC container that fits nicely in my ensuite bathroom in my master bedroom. I have a separate shower, and the bath doesn't get used at all. I am going to build a wood frame that sits on top of the tub and holds my Magniwing shade. It will have a black curtain that will block as much of the light as possible so i'm not being blinded while i take a crap. The frame will also implement a screen to keep the bushes tamed so i'm not having to bushwack just to take a shit. Thinking like tomato cages or a nice Scrog and lots of topping and a vertical screen beside the toilet to keep them from growing that direction.

I also am thinking about building new DWC lids.. Currently the lids i have are 8 site lids and i am currently able to do 16 plants with the 2 constructed lids. i could make one more lid and do a total of 24 plants with the 3 totes i have. I have 4 airstones in the grow box so i want to get a 4th DWC in there some how.. i have a way i could fit a smaller container that holds 4 plants, maybe 6 if i could fit that many. If i made new lids for the tubs i have already and made them 12 sites each instead of 8, i could essentially get 36 plus whatever extra from the smaller DWC tub. 3 DWC tubs of 12 would fit perfectly in the box and give me double the 18 site hydrotub would, just one tub would get an extra airstone. I am not sure what to do.. I want to build my own power cloner.. saw a video on youtube of a dude building a pvc frame inside a rubbermaid tote that had sprayer tips and misted the clipped end of the roots.

My main Dilemma is my very quickly approaching Las Vegas trip. The sativas take a long time to flower.. i am expecting 12 weeks. The rest of my plants have an 8 week flowering time according to the breeder. If i flipped on Wednesday, i could start the flush the regular day i change water before i left and my friend whos apartment/dog sitting while i'm on vacation can keep an eye on the plants and do the second week of flush, and when i come back i can literally harvest, providing my triches say its time to harvest! This is what i think i am going to do. Flowering time is coming soon! :goof:

Some Questions i have for anyone reading this is:

**Should i switch to flowering now?** thats my big one.. i'm leaning towards :thumb: so the sativas dont become a jungle in there.

Should i remove the 125w CFL from my grow box and use that in the MangiWing fixtire, or one of the 400w MH bulbs i will take out once i switch over to HPS and leave the CFl in the grow box for a different light spectrum?

Should i use an existing plant for a mother? or use a clone? Im' thinking a clone as i will be able to train it much better to stay confined in my bathtub Veg area.

Do i switch over to flowering Nutes right away? the feeding schedule that BCNL gave me as well as the nute bottle says i'm well past the veg time and should be into flower by almost a couple weeks for the White Widows. Should i give them the veg mix i have given them for another week after the flip then switch to flowering feeding?

I've read that lots of people are against the taking of clones after the plant has gone into the flowering stage. Any insight to this? if its cool then i'm in. i want clones of these babies cause i was frustrated with my seeds i purchased and lost half of.. I have to say i still have 9 Great White Shark beans sitting on my shelf and i want to get my hands on some Girl Scout Cookies seeds (fem) as well as Chocolope (fem) but i dont have funds to spare on more seeds. I want to go from clone next time and hopefully be able to get a nice sea of 30+ plants in my Producer.

Another inquiry on cloning; i want to build a power cloner. A DWC-ish tub with enough water to recirculate by the water pump (not sure if the one i saw had an airstone in the water res.. i'm sure it didbt and he had a couple with some decent clones going in ones he made previous) and misters on a pvc tube that mist the cut area of all the clones. I liked this idea the moment i saw it, regardless if it actually worked. I'm going to add a nursey tray dome that is large enough to cover the whole cloner. I am only able to clone in rockwool at the moment as rooting gel and 1" rockwool are in no shortage but i dont really like my experience with rockwool in early stages of growth. Once past the fragile part tho, it seems very stable and easy to keep moist (less frequent watering) For my clones i'm going to use the 2" neoprene plugs to hold the cuttings upright in the 2" net pots while they develop roots, then i'm going to transfer them into hydroton clay pebbles and the 3.5" net pots i already have and then into the flower chamber.

Okay i think that is everything!! i am going to delete the older journals or abaondon them and link this one in my signature because i dont think I capture the essence of what i'm trying to do here in the other journals.. and thats learn!! Not enough questions were asked.. I want as much knowledge as i can get so i'm more prepared the next go around. I have poured out my heart into this Journal to give you as much details as i can so you can give the best advice that you can! I hope to have some awesome people help me make it through my first endeavor into growing. I might try a soil grow next time in this grow box, probably will stay with the less messy, hydro tho!

I :thanks: for taking the time to read all this and happy growing!![/FONT]

-Greenthumb J

Re: Greenthumb J's BCNL "Producer" grow. 800w DWC - first grow ever! Multi-Strain

Some Questions i have for anyone reading this is:

**Should i switch to flowering now?** thats my big one.. i'm leaning towards :thumb: so the sativas dont become a jungle in there.

Should i remove the 125w CFL from my grow box and use that in the MangiWing fixtire, or one of the 400w MH bulbs i will take out once i switch over to HPS and leave the CFl in the grow box for a different light spectrum?

Should i use an existing plant for a mother? or use a clone? Im' thinking a clone as i will be able to train it much better to stay confined in my bathtub Veg area.

Do i switch over to flowering Nutes right away? the feeding schedule that BCNL gave me as well as the nute bottle says i'm well past the veg time and should be into flower by almost a couple weeks for the White Widows. Should i give them the veg mix i have given them for another week after the flip then switch to flowering feeding?

I've read that lots of people are against the taking of clones after the plant has gone into the flowering stage. Any insight to this? if its cool then i'm in. i want clones of these babies cause i was frustrated with my seeds i purchased and lost half of.. I have to say i still have 9 Great White Shark beans sitting on my shelf and i want to get my hands on some Girl Scout Cookies seeds (fem) as well as Chocolope (fem) but i dont have funds to spare on more seeds. I want to go from clone next time and hopefully be able to get a nice sea of 30+ plants in my Producer.

Another inquiry on cloning; i want to build a power cloner. A DWC-ish tub with enough water to recirculate by the water pump (not sure if the one i saw had an airstone in the water res.. i'm sure it didbt and he had a couple with some decent clones going in ones he made previous) and misters on a pvc tube that mist the cut area of all the clones. I liked this idea the moment i saw it, regardless if it actually worked. I'm going to add a nursey tray dome that is large enough to cover the whole cloner. I am only able to clone in rockwool at the moment as rooting gel and 1" rockwool are in no shortage but i dont really like my experience with rockwool in early stages of growth. Once past the fragile part tho, it seems very stable and easy to keep moist (less frequent watering) For my clones i'm going to use the 2" neoprene plugs to hold the cuttings upright in the 2" net pots while they develop roots, then i'm going to transfer them into hydroton clay pebbles and the 3.5" net pots i already have and then into the flower chamber.

Okay i think that is everything!! i am going to delete the older journals or abaondon them and link this one in my signature because i dont think I capture the essence of what i'm trying to do here in the other journals.. and thats learn!! Not enough questions were asked.. I want as much knowledge as i can get so i'm more prepared the next go around. I have poured out my heart into this Journal to give you as much details as i can so you can give the best advice that you can! I hope to have some awesome people help me make it through my first endeavor into growing. I might try a soil grow next time in this grow box, probably will stay with the less messy, hydro tho!

I :thanks: for taking the time to read all this and happy growing!![/FONT]

-Greenthumb J

1.) I would flip now; you've got so many going its gonna get crowded fast. Plus, I think you mentioned having a height constraint when you were talking about the S. African beans. Also, ime it usually takes a tad longer to flower than what the breeder states and also flowering from seed sometimes takes a tad longer on young immature plants. I usually go with the breeder's claim from the time buds start forming clearly as opposed to when flipping to 12/12. All that put together can add 1-3 weeks to what one might expect.

2.) Whatever gets the most light on 'em starting w/the HID's on down that's available.

3.) Unless you're already tried & true @ cloning, you might wanna keep one of the existing for a mom. Nothing sucks worse than having none of the clones take and the original mom's already been put to pasture.

4.) Just follow the schedule they have for flowering...transition, week 1, week 2...however they have it worded.

5.) I'd say when you're gonna take clones probably depends more on when you're gonna be gone. They take a while to root and a little bit of "eyes on" while they're doing it.

6.) Here's a link to a tutorial for a DIY one: DIY 50 site aero cloner for under $100.00 ; and here's a link to buy one fairly inexpensive w/o all the hassle and time spent (& probably near the same cost as parts to make it) Aero Plant Cloner, Cloning Machines System From Harrigans Hydroponics And Supply ; or you could just make a bubbler in a bucket, although I wouldn't call it a power cloner.

Very nice read and love what you've got going on, thx for taking the time to post that.

Re: Greenthumb J's BCNL "Producer" grow. 800w DWC - first grow ever! Multi-Strain

Hey Jam.. thanks for the input and i am going to take your advice my friend.

Lights will flip on wednesday or thurdsday, plants will get their transition to flowrering nutes as well. 3 plants will be saved for mothers for cuttings.

The DIY cloner that you linked me to, i have seen one very similar on youtube, and i already planned to make one when i have some established mothers going.

Going to build my mother DWC tub this week. I have 4 strains currently and i'm thinking i'm going to keep 3 strains as mothers as i have some Great White Shark beans left over still and the other strains i do not.. 1 Malawi gold, 1 White Widow and 1 White Rhino will make their transfer into larger net pots once i manage to remove the rockwool from the 3.5" net pots they are currently in..

If i cant manage to get the rockwook out without disturbing too many roots, i'm just going to have to keep them in their 3.5" pots, althought i dont feel they will be able to grow large enough stem bases in these small pots, but i could just be plain 'ole wrong! maybe i'll get 6" net pots and place the 3.5" ones inside them and fill up the loose sides with hydroton pebbles? i dont know!

Update for today:

Not much going on inside the grow box.. The Malawi gold are bushing out now that i've tied back the tops. hopefully by the time i switch over to flower, i have gotten my ghetto screen i plan to use while they stretch to keep them from getting to close to the light housing.. However i have seen other successful grows in a BCNL grow box (not my model, the Bloombox that has a smaller water res and houses a mother and veg area.) and all the plants have grown into the glass that covers the light housing and not gotten any burning on the buds and very little heat stress on the leaves, even with the HPS being used.

I am also hoping to have the rest of my mother plant DWC tub built and ready to have the 3 plants go into it sometime this week.

I'm going to be poor as fuck during my vegas trip cause i have spent all my money on this endeavor.. I'm hoping that my friends needing medication can help me get my savings back to where it was with some donations for quality meds.. Plus my roommate gets good meds for her severely damaged knees and the pain she endures, i get a great fulfilling hobby that saves me some money in the long run from having to buy my own supply/supply for my roommates/friends, and i make acquaintances with some really cool people who also grow cannabis along the way. Win-Win for everyone!

Alright everyone. i'm off to walk my lazy dog. Will update soon with details as to my progress.

The clone dome that sits below the CFL in the middle of my grow box keeps humidity in the 65-85% range for propagation.. They're like $8 from my local hydro store. Make sure you don't drown em with moisture tho.

The rest of the setup you see in there is my DWC tubs that will hold my flowering plants.

My thoughts now however are that 8 plants per lid might be too tight of spacing between the plants and will cause lots of lower branches to not receive enough light.

However I want to make lids that hold 12 plants each and do a 36 plant sog. so we will see how these 14 minus the 3 mother's I'm taking out do.

Keep in mind you might have some males still in those reg seeds that will also thin it out. Have you spotted any pre-flowers along the main stalks yet?

Yes I have and they appear to all be female. A couple are developing theirs but not looking like pollen sacks.. More like longer calyxes.

I will give them all a good check later when I'm home from work.. I hate being away from them! I just want to give them all my attention.. The girlfriend is getting jealous hahah!

hello I have to say
your buying premium seeds and the ratio of what your getting is bad
4 of 10, 3 of 20 how are you going from germ to whatever your using rock wool or rooting plugs?
I prefer rooting plugs once my seed is germed I cut a slit in the rooting plug to slip my germed seed in
and I hold it close with a toothpick I make sure to keep it moist until I see a root coming out and into the hydro it goes with 1/2 nutes
everyone does it different this is how I do it, I like rooting plugs cause they hold a lot of air better than rock wool
also when you try to plant or germinate according to the moon cycle makes a difference, I have noticed it
at the right time the tap root will grow fast than at the wrong times, and faster germination times
I just threw a bubba kush seed into a paper towel 2 days agod today the root was about 5/8 of an inch so
into the rockwool it went, once the root is popping out probably before sunday but I will throw it into hydro on sunday
will also post pics of it.
another thing I dont like using a tub with multiple plants, gets to a point where its hard to clean, everythings tangled
they are all fighting for the nutes in the tub its probably why the stronger plants will take off and the weaker ones will suffer
I started in a tub like that but I changed to individual buckets as they all have different needs especially different strains with different finishing times because you have to give nutes for where they are individually, the worst is the roots getting entagled
the weaker ones might get choked out not giving it a chance to blast off.
if its all the same strain started at the same times requiring the same nutes, id still rather have them separate
even ebb and flow buckets would be better if you only want to take care of one res that feeds it all
considering they are all on the same schedule
just my 2 pennies worth :thumb:

edit oh yea I have to add

you shouldn't have to pop so many seeds in the space your using you could grow 2 plants and get that whole cab full, the question would be would you want a lot of small plants, or get the most out of each seed that you PAID for.

A lot of food for thought there Chronic.. I think i may just try your suggestion of a couple plants that fill up the cab rather than a shit load of small ass plants.. And yes. my ratio of sprouted, surviving seeds is very low, i'm not very happy about it at all. Thanks for the reminder :( just kidding! its a learning curve.. i am bummed, but hey, you live and you learn right?

as for germination. I soaked beans in ph balanced water that had the chlorine evaporate first.. 24-30 hours approximately then soaked in damp toilet paper in a tupperware container (this was the second method, it worked better for popping seeds than just sitting in damp paper towel. once seeds cracked and root was exposed, they went into 1" rockwool cubes and placed in a nursery tray with humidity dome and left in warm darkness untill it popped out from the rockwool, then they went into the grow cab under the CFl light on the clone tray.

First run through tho, so it's all a learning process right? if you notice the original hydro tub, i have seen some good results using the hydro tub that BCNL makes.. however.. i haven't seen any success in my model which has a larger water res and larger tub that needs cleaning.. its very hard, if not. impossible to clean that thing properly while theres plants rooted., thats why i opted for the DWC tubs.. Like you said tho, the roots are all tangled up over top of the airstones and its going to make transplanting 3 of the 14 i have into individual DWC buckets like you mentioned having per plant, very difficult as i now have to separate the roots from each other. I have seen this implemented on other grows, however, these grows have like 6+ feet of vertical growing space.. so the space for the plant to stretch upwards is there, whereas i dont have the space for the stretch, so a SOG is a better option for me it seems.. I am thinking of building a DIY grow cab thats much taller than what i have now, and use my expensive grow box for a veg chamber.. i just worry about smell while living in a highrise apartment!!

anyways.. off to bed.. i will update tomorrow when i do a res change and switch out the MH for the HPS and start my flower cycle
thanks for your input Chronichempdog. i have checked out a couple of your journals and its one of the main reasons i decided to start a journal here.. just all the great people here willing to offer their support..

thanks everyone who contributes to this grow!

look at stealthgrows journal
he does 1 plant per cab in a scrog
you might want to look into that it will keep the height manageable
and allow you to fill the cab with 1 or 2 plants
also if you want to sog it would be better achieved with clones
reason being sog plants are kept small and short
really difficult with seed plants unless you lst or something
saves you from using a ton of seed that you are buying and clone once rooted can go into bloom
it is why people strictly use clones for sogs
hope this gives you a little more food for thought but do check out his journal
From Seed to Smoke - RQS Blue Mystic & OG Kush - DWC scrog
hope it helps

Chronic - What you said about the tubs being hard to clean.. totally not true with this set up compared to my previous set up in my grow box. The large 4 foot wide tub that held my water was waaaay to hard to clean properly as i couldn't take it out without exposed roots sitting on my hardwood floors in my apartment. Therefore, the water res only got a cleaning solution splashed aruond inside before being sucked out by the water pump via automated watering override for res draining.

These new tubs are super easy to clean and change the water res.. I will post a picture later when i change the res. However, like you said, the roots are all tangled to shit overtop of the airstones and will make transplanting 3 of these plants to their new individual DWC containers a real pain in the ass which will sit in my bathtub in my ensuite bathroom under a MH light in veg for clones. also, they are thirsty!! i had 15L of water in the one tub with the sativas and now theres a few litres of water water left inside on res change day.. and i even topped it up the water level just a few days ago! they have really bushed out since tying them down. I plan to do some defoliation today as i want some more light to the inside of the plant.

My main issue is simply the growing space that i have.. I currently am not spending any more money on this grow as i have spent thousands of dollars already and seen no fruits to my labour yet. I want to construct my own cab, one thats much taller, or buy a tent thats ready to go (lights, fans, carbon filter etc) mainly cause i have no electrical experience, and i also dont own my apartment, so crazy renovations are out of the question. Been looking at Dealzer.com and they have a tent/light/hydro set up.. its a small fortune, but it will give me the space to do a grow of 24 large ass plants, or a 52 plant SOG.. under 4 600w HPS. i'm thinking a 24 plant jungle w/ nice 4ft plants..

All the stuff i need to grow is in one package. air cooled Lights, like 4 fans for air circulation, a carbon scrubbing filter, and a 24 site bubbler bucket system for large plants or a 52 site aeroponics system for a huge SOG. Yes it is like $5g... but it gives me peace of mind knowing i didn't fuck something up along the building process and i lose my hard earned crop to something easily avoidable. it also is a good fit for my apartment at the moment, although it stands to take away a huge part of my living room to set up (i have a pretty large apartment, 1000sqft, my living room has a huge area to the right for like a dining room set and shit, but i dont have one, so i figure put a huge Gorilla tent with 4 600w HPS inside.. Although my gf is worried about our electricity bill going through the roof. Although its only gone up like $25-40 since having my grow box on 24/7 depending how much other electricity we use in our home) Eventually when i move out of my apartment and into a house, i plan to construct a full on flowering room, Mother room, and veg/cloning room, for some serious fun times!! But now i'm thinking to far ahead in the future!! back to the present!

Okay that is all for now. time for a res change!! i will post pics of my res change cause i think its time to flip to flowering tonight and i'm gona switch over to my flowering nutes! FUck. i should go get my co2 bottle today as it was payday and i have the whole day off from both jobs!! i'm going to turn off the lights manually sometime this afternoon and give them a good 18+ hours of darkness before the lights switch on to start the 12/12 cycle from 9am-9pm.

thanks for those who have stopped by, even if you haven't said Hello yet, and to the couple who have given me some input.

Stay Tuned!

Hi Greenthumb,

Excellent, descriptive journal! I am worried about fitting more than 2 girls in that cabinet though. If it gets too full, you will end up with mold, lack of oxygen, etc.. I love LST, and I use it to keep my plants short and full.

Good luck, I am here for the journey! :Namaste::goodluck::popcorn::nomo::nicethread:

Chronic - i have actually checked a couple of his journals out.. i defintely dont have the space that the SuperCloset LED trinity 3.0 has height wise. I kind of wish i had gotten one of them instead of my BCNL grow box. Those cabs like he has are like $5g before any upgrades like co2, nutra-dip meter blah blah blah... i paid like 3600 for mine with extra bulbs for veg, additional t5 lights and it comes with built in co2 distribution.. didn't need to have to add that on.. i just need a tank same as he would have to buy. My main downfall like i have said is the height i have to grow a plant. if i used the original DWC/top feed system it came with, the plants can grow just under 3 ft before they hit the glass that contain the 2 HPS lights.. Stealthgrow's cab is 6ft tall! the plants can grow like 5ft with no problems. I also like the veg area with power cloner below it.. but i plan to make my own area but on a larger scale.

Okay back to water res change.. i made the mistake of medicating before hand.. now i cant stop getting sidetracked with this awesome site and its infinite knowledge.. also dancing around to some good tunes while the sun blasts through my floor to ceiling windows!!

thanks Pinky.. glad to have to along for the ride.. i really tried to give as much information as i could to anyone reading.. the more backstory you have, the better advice you can give.. at least thats what i'm going for haha..

ive thought about the cab being packed, but the original design holds 18, evenly spaced out.. i have a picture of it in my journal sitting on my patio as i dont use it at the moment.. however, air flow seems relatively good, and i have the sativas tied down and plan on some heavy defoliation to thin out the lower branches.. some look like they would root to nice clones, and i can always add a small fan on the bottom to help move fresh air around.. and like i have said i have seen reasonably good results (albeit lots had some shitty pictures to back it up) from these cabs. problem just being the grow box is short in stature and is better suited for short bushy plants, not my sativas that want to grow to be monsters, i can just feel it.

Chronic - about what you said about clones.. thats my plan next go around.. my widows and rhinos will be done flowering when i get back from vegas and before the Malawi gold are done so while the MG are finishing their last possibly 5+ weeks of flower after i get back from vegas, i plan to take clones from 3 of the plants that i have now that are going into their own DWC buckets and gona pump out clones for me.

okay i swear, i'm going to change my water now!! promise!

I don't think his plants get really tall
because of the scrog
I just wanted you to see how the scrog is
a lot of guys here scrog and it keeps the plant height down
so does lst, if you can run clones sog is a great idea to keep height at a minimum
you just need a lot more, clones will be more consistent also
but even so I think you could get 2 good healthy plants that will yield beeter than if you try to stuff a lot in there
if its too crowded itll only grow with the space allowed.
just trying to help you save money cause seems like you spent a lot already
the other thing is the cab you got is great but
theres a lot you gotta worry about, with all the electronics. heavily dependent on power
its why i went the way i did, i don't have to worry about water pumps failing
i have battery operated air for backup if the power goes down, one day ill get a generator when i got extra cash
one of the reasons why I didn't go that route big initial cost.
when I started my first indoor I think I spent about 1200 to have everything I needed to get going
then i added a couple led's then a good friend lent me 2 of his so after that i eliminated the flouros in my bloom tent
now i just use flouros to veg, and with just 3 weeks of veg the plants from seed can get pretty sizable
the one plant i have from clone i thought would keep the height down because it was a clone
boy was i wrong chemdog just keep getting taller until it hit the lights :rofl:
maybe ill start getting in to other things when i have funds available but
some of the systems i want to try are a bit excessive for me since were limited on plant count.
but maybe one day.
but scrog or no scrog you can do 2 plants in that cab and fill it get more out of each plant instead of a little of each from a lot
especially if your buying premium seeds you really want the most you can get out of it

Sorry i didn't update earlier.. got sidetracked when i pulled out my Vapor Daddy vaporizer and medicated before water res change. Spaced out and left the malawi gold and 1 Widow lady out in the sun with no water on the roots for just a bit too long, they were starting to look a little sad, but thats okay, they got placed in their freshly cleaned and filled reservoirs, then received a nice trim.. i stipped the widows for sure, but hey, the bud sites are gona get more light and there are loads of weak looking branches/bud sites cause i should have done more defoliation earlier in veg.. but as this is my very first go-round, i am only learning the basics.

Also gave the bigger Rhinos a good trim, topped one thats going to be a mother plant and attempted a FIM on another. i think i got it according to all the decriptions and pictures of where to cut/snip/pinch/pinch off. so l lets hope i did!.. figure i give em a bit to recover from the defol before switching over to flower.

Chronic - i dont think his plants get very high either.. but he has the ability to grow some tall plants if he so chooses. And i think thats what i plan to do on my next grow.. do 2 plants and scrog them under each light thats in the cab. and i agree, the heavy reliability on electricity does worry me if my power ever goes out in the apartment. the company i bought my cab from suggested a surge protector to protect my equipment. I'm going to move when my lease is up to a house and give my self some more space to work with.

thats all for the night.. time to relax and enjoy the rest of the night. have a good night everyone!!!

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom