GreenThumb J's Twilight 165W LED Grow Journal & Review - BC SweetTooth - DWC

re: GreenThumb J's Twilight 165W LED Grow Journal & Review - BC SweetTooth - DWC

Thank you MrRobert!

I am rather impressed at the lack of stretch during veg under this LED.

I have seen so many plants under LED get so tall and lanky, then when they go int flower, they get even more lankier.

I "tipped" the plant about a week ago or so, maybe a bit longer, and it's really getting bushy.

3-4 more weeks of veg and I will change the light schedule to 12/12.

I've predicted the sex to be female by close inspection of a possible calyx growing. It's pointed an not round like a pollen sac.

I also have 2 small clones of the Sweet Tooth to determine sex, but I've already 90% determined it

GLAD to have you along.. I'll reply to your PM when I am hole an not on my cell phone!

re: GreenThumb J's Twilight 165W LED Grow Journal & Review - BC SweetTooth - DWC

Hot? In BC? forget about it. fucking Belfast, Northern Ireland, i was pulling 47 degrees celsius in my bedroom before i even started growing. Heat stroke, twice this year. global warming. first time i get a book published, moving to greenland. deffo.

Oh btw i never got onto this grow earlier cos i try to look for ones as similar to my own setup as i can, that way, any advice i offer or tips i pick up are relevant.

How's that LED workin out for ya? nice method there btw, don't think I'd ever consider it myself, i like the hand watering thing lol

47? damn thats crazy!

Hottest its been here in the area i am was 42 (this is in suburbia too, lower mainland, near the ocean. Can only imagine what the interior of BC was like!!)

that was a couple years ago.

Personally, i enjoy the fall time. I love the sun, but i hate the heat that comes with it. I tend to perspire in the sun quickly and thats just annoying to me.

Also, the cooler temperatures make it absolutely amazing for indoor growing in my high rise apartment which can get rather uncomfortable in the summer

but 47? what the hell.. i would be moving!

As for the LED. i have to say i am very impressed with it. It gives off next to no heat at all. With that, you can get the LED closer to your plants, reducing stretch during vegetative growth.

i just think its my slight impatience that makes me think that the plants take so slow to actually start growing in veg. I also think its my skepticism about LED's that has me thinking that its taken forever for my Sweet Tooth to grow this big. Although, its taken almost 2 full months to get the plant to grow this big. i will take measurements of it in the morning

But, in all honesty, the plant is really thriving underneath this LED.

Flowering should start in about 2-4 weeks. Depending on when space in the flower tent opens up for the other plants i have in my 4x4 tent right now.

I will do a full picture update tomorrow on this journal, as well as my other journal that showcases my Growbox and my 8x8 tent!

I look forward to seeing the pics!

And yeah, the summer does me no favours regarding perspiration; this causes my sex drive to drop right off lol Autumn is my favourite season, not too hot and not too cold.

i have a spare bedroom and an attached den that i have my main grows going in.

I had to buy a 12,600btu portable AC to keep the two rooms cool enough for me to not worry about room temps and reservoir temps getting too high without having to buy a water chiller.

Now that fall is approaching, with the AC blowing into my flowering tent (tent door open to allow this cold air in) my 8x8 tent with 1200w of HPS lights is currently 20 degrees, my DWC water temp is 21.2c and the water temp for my reservoir for my flood table is 19.1c.

I can not get better temperatures than that.

Being able to keep a flowering room at 20c is pretty damn impossible for most growers. Commercial grows that dump thousands into ventilation and Air Conditioning are able to keep these temps no problem, but who has that kind of money to throw down on AC, unless you're really really serious about room temperatures.

I know that with cooler temperatures, i will have a higher female to male ratio when growing regular seeds (which i have some for a future grow) as well, maintaining a colder ambient room temperature will keep my water reservoirs at optimal temperatures which will also keep Dissolved Oxygen levels at optimal levels as well.

I have been suggested to use LED's in my flowering tent, but i will never.

Sure they put out less heat, but when using a larger panel, that heat is just vented off into the grow room, which DOES raise temperatures, if only a little bit.

However, my main issue is... show me a good harvest (like actually) from an LED grow. I want to see a 1Lb chonger grown under an LED in the same time frame it takes under HID.

Truth of the matter is, i have yet to see a spectacular harvest from an LED grow. All the plants i see grown under LED are lanky, have small buds and generally do not compare to cannabis flowered under an HPS.

I am going to let the Sweet Tooth go 2-3 more weeks in veg, then i will be moving everything that the Sweet Tooth is sharing its space with, hopefully into their new veg area in a 4x8 tent, or at least another 4x4 tent.

OR i will be moving it back into my bathroom veg area!! This area is already over-populated with young plants!! Going to have to do some serious rearranging if i cant manage to get a tent and a light inside the tent.

I've been thinking about the possibility of taking a freezer apart to see if the components can be used in a standalone fashion but i always end up thinking of that episode of the simpsons in which homer burns the fridge out trying to cool himself down on a hot day; that is to say I'm not sure how long such an object would survive outside of it's natural habitat... that and the obscure gas canister that's on the back or underneath a freezer (where the noise comes from), so I've sort of out the idea on ice (pardon the pun)

I've also yet to see serious results from LED; I have one of those cheap ass 90w chinese ufos but it's in with the HPS and the CFLs so i can't even tell if it's doing anything at all, all i know is that it's unreliable (it broke on it's second day out, fix it but don't trust it) and yeah it does kick out heat, heat that is on par with CFLs I'd say.

Check out Curso or CO Finest, they both have had great harvest with LED.Curso just harvested,check it out.:peace:

CO finest harvests do not impress me. I saw his harvest for the Spider COB LED cause i am reviewing a Twilight LED myself, so naturally i was interested. But i was not impressed.

I was not impressed with his "Monster train" harvest either. he vegged that plant for how long? like 3 or 4 months? to barely pull a LB from the one plant? under a MARS II 1600!!!! like come on

I can see 1LB+ chongers that have only been vegged for 2 months before flower, under HID lighting, all day every day here on 420.

People with LEDs are in denial because they forked out soo much money, only to get a smaller harvest each time.

Ya big deal you save like $0.68 a day or something using an LED compared to an HID, but what you save in electrical costs, you will lose 3 times in harvests.

For example, Gen Hydro and Advanced Nutrients dont use LED when testing their products on medical marijuana. Why? because the scientists on their R&D teams know that LEDs are inferior to HID.

I want to see an LED grow that actually COMPARES to an HID grow.

problem is, you wont find any.

IMO, LEDs are great for veg, where you can put a panel 6" away from your canopy and not stress the plants. It keeps stretch down and node spacing tight.

however, for flowering, I would never use an LED for flowering. With the exception of this journal. For my review purposes, I will be flowering with this particular LED panel.

You have no idea how many times i have wanted to take the Sweet Tooth out of the LED tent and put it under my 600w MH to get some vegetative growth going, but eventually, the plant has reached the rapid growth phase of veg like we are in now.

Veg phase should be over for this plant as i popped the bean 2 months ago, 3 days from today.

But i still feel like it needs a least 2 more weeks to bush out before i move everything thats sharing the tent with the BC Sweet Tooth, out of the tent and put the Sweet Tooth into flower.

It's funny you should mention the node spacing; my plants are pretth much moving into third node atm and I've noticed it's tighter than last time (by a lot) but there appears to be no difference between the ones under LED and the ones under the HPS (even though i rotate them evenly, there should technically be some plants different than others). I'm not totally sold on LED either and yeah I'll keep it and use it cos it's there but i don't think I'd get another now that I've got a HPS. If and when i hit my temp ceiling again next summer I'm going to have a choice between an AC unit or an LED as options to reduce heat. If the HPS performs as well as i imagine it will, there's not a chance I'll be replacing it with LED panels, so it'll be the AC unit.

As for energy costs; i have neodymium magnet that is essentially a hardware hack to reduce my energy costs. i can live with £10 a week in electricity quite comfortably considering that before i got the thing it was £15 a week without growing.

Just googled that noedymium magnet you spoke of..

wiki didn't explain how you are using it to reduce your energy costs, so i'm slight confused.

Don't get an LED.. spend that money and get an AC.. Portable, so you can move it to your liking. They're amazing. Especially if you experience stupid hot weather like you told me, you will be hanging out with your AC all the time!!

Just googled that noedymium magnet you spoke of..

wiki didn't explain how you are using it to reduce your energy costs, so i'm slight confused.

Don't get an LED.. spend that money and get an AC.. Portable, so you can move it to your liking. They're amazing. Especially if you experience stupid hot weather like you told me, you will be hanging out with your AC all the time!!

Sorry lol the electricity meters in my country use a spinning disk mechanism which determines your usage based on how much electricity passes through a cable it is attached to; the magnet forces this disk to slow down, which in turn diminishes the amount of usage recorded by the digital component of the meter. the less usage recorded by the digital component results in fewer credits being deducted from one's balance. I have a digital readout of my current load which tells me how much is being used, how much it costs in pence and how long i have left based on that usage against available credits.

Sounds technical as fuck... you literally just put the magnet on the meter and walk away. "set and forget"... though sometimes it falls off and you don't find out until you're writing a big ass chapter and then darkness arrives lol

And yeah.. there's no way am buyin another LED, not until the technology reaches it's golden age.

Great information GreenThumbJ.

I have grown with LED light panels and produced more flavorful, more resinous and denser cannabis buds then the same genetics grown under High Pressure Sodium lights. I have seen what a good LED light panel can produce, I have used LED light panels that produced superior cannabis buds. Would it not be more fair to your sponsor and Product Review to use the product in both vegetative growth and flower then formulate an opinion to its effectiveness before dismissing the product outright?

I plan to use this LED for flowering as well, and have not dismissed the product at all. I have voiced an opinion on LED's in general that is a VERY valid opinion.

I am giving a review, not biased towards the company i am reviewing a product for, based on what i am seeing from using THIS light.

If i feel like the Twilight 165w is underperforming, i WILL say so. If i feel like it is exceeding my expectations in a certain area, i will say so.

For example, my Sweet Tooth is (just took measurements) is 18" from the top of the grow cubes and 20" in width in 2 months of veg. I should have a plant almost twice the size grown under a 250w MH or HPS bulb. I have seen plants bigger than this grown under CFLs in 2 months.

Am i impressed with this amount of growth? No

Am i impressed with the lack of stretch and node spacing the LED has given me? Yes

Am i impressed with the lack of heat thats been given off by this Lamp? Yes

I'm not here to praise Twilight or any company that i review a product for. I'm here to offer my opinion on the light i have been given to review.

Have you grown with any OTHER panels than LUSH? not including the Twilight panel you are reviewing now. I'm talking about before your LUSH journal, had you ever grown with LED's before?

I feel your Lush review was very biased towards LUSH and did nothing but showcase and promote LUSH panels to people who cant afford them. You refused to answer any questions regarding other LED companies "out of respect for Lush", but what about out of respect for the members contemplating making an LED purchase and not wanting to spend $1300+ on a panel? Not wanting to spend that money on a panel that could achieve the same results as a panel thats $600 cheaper?

For the price of a Lush Dominator 2x, you can build an entire grow room, and people just wanted some information as to why LUSH is better, but those questions were never answered! i tried my best staying up to date with all 200 pages or whatever, but not once did i see any information from you or Sam that warrants someone going out and Buying a LUSH LED over any other company. Proprietary secrets? bullshit... every other LED company (that i've contacted) has no problems talking about everything about their panels.

As a staff member of 420, are you even allowed to mention the true downsides of the sponsors products that might deter someone and make them buy a non sponsor product, or are you required to showcase them, which is then no longer an unbiased review of the product.

You say that your harvest under the LUSH was greater than under HID's but i would argue this point with the following fact.

Even you John, we all become better growers after each grow and harvest, which is why i feel your harvest was only EQUAL to that under HID lighting. You simply get better and better each time you grow, thus perfecting your techniques and methods, getting the most out of your equipment and growing skills, and producing a bigger harvest every time.

I looked at your numbers you posted about the yields.. you BARELY squeezed out a bigger harvest under the LED's, and i attribute that to being a better grower each grow.

If we grew less and less each harvest, one should wonder what they are doing wrong, no?

If you grew the same genetics of plants side by side using the same room, same nutrient recipe, same everything except for the lighting, you would have a very fair situation to make the HID vs LED argument.

I'm not counting out this LED panel at all, but i have every right to voice my opinion on LED's based on the proof and information thats out there.

That proof is LED's dont outgrow HID's..... YET!!! LED's are emerging as a fast growing technology, but theres a reason large nutrient companies dont use LED's in their test facilities.. theres a reason why all the BC GreenHouses dont use LED's in their growing facilities. Theres a reason that medical marijuana growing facilities DONT use LED's. Its not the cost, these companies all receive government funding and have millions in funds to spend on lighting and Air Conditioning, but they go with whats PROVEN to work time and time again.
They simply get more yield from traditional HID lighting.

And when people are looking at return on investments, LED's dont compare to the ROI an HID set up can provide. And looking at most people here on 420, we're all on a budget and all have troubles finding and affording our medicine.

I enjoy discussions like this John, please do not look at this as a personal attack or anything towards you.

I plan to use this LED for flowering as well, and have not dismissed the product at all. I have voiced an opinion on LED's in general that is a VERY valid opinion.

I am giving a review, not biased towards the company i am reviewing a product for, based on what i am seeing from using THIS light.

If i feel like the Twilight 165w is underperforming, i WILL say so. If i feel like it is exceeding my expectations in a certain area, i will say so.

For example, my Sweet Tooth is (just took measurements) is 18" from the top of the grow cubes and 20" in width in 2 months of veg. I should have a plant almost twice the size grown under a 250w MH or HPS bulb. I have seen plants bigger than this grown under CFLs in 2 months.

Am i impressed with this amount of growth? No

Am i impressed with the lack of stretch and node spacing the LED has given me? Yes

Am i impressed with the lack of heat thats been given off by this Lamp? Yes

I'm not here to praise Twilight or any company that i review a product for. I'm here to offer my opinion on the light i have been given to review.

I am glad to read that you will be giving your opinions on how the LED light panel actually performs in everyday use to guide other members on whether the product will be suitable for their uses. You do appear to have an issue with vegetative growth. How high above your canopy is the LED light panel? Do you have you a Kill A Watt meter to test the actual power draw of the LED light panel at the electrical outlet to verify the LED panel is operating within specifications? A Kill A Watt meter is and inexpensive tool to measure the actual power draw at the electrical outlet of the plugged in device.

Have you grown with any OTHER panels than LUSH? not including the Twilight panel you are reviewing now. I'm talking about before your LUSH journal, had you ever grown with LED's before?

No, previously I had used Compact Florescent Light bulbs, Florescent light bulbs, High Intensity Discharge Metal Halide light bulbs and High Pressure Sodium light bulbs to illuminate my grow areas. When I had purchased equipment for my grow areas I selected High Intensity Discharge Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium light bulbs, I did look at LED light panels and was shows a $1,200 200x 1 watt LED light panel that left me seeing spots for 20 minutes but when I researched 1 watt LED light panels I found that 1 watt LED light panels are not capable of growing cannabis well and decided on proven technology High Intensity Discharge Digital Dimmable ballasts. It has been several years and LED technology has now progressed and it is now time to re evaluate the current LED light panels available.

I feel your Lush review was very biased towards LUSH and did nothing but showcase and promote LUSH panels to people who cant afford them. You refused to answer any questions regarding other LED companies "out of respect for Lush", but what about out of respect for the members contemplating making an LED purchase and not wanting to spend $1300+ on a panel? Not wanting to spend that money on a panel that could achieve the same results as a panel thats $600 cheaper?

For the price of a Lush Dominator 2x, you can build an entire grow room, and people just wanted some information as to why LUSH is better, but those questions were never answered! i tried my best staying up to date with all 200 pages or whatever, but not once did i see any information from you or Sam that warrants someone going out and Buying a LUSH LED over any other company. Proprietary secrets? bullshit... every other LED company (that i've contacted) has no problems talking about everything about their panels.

When a 420 Magazine sponsor has provided a product to be Reviewed to feature their product at their expense in a Product Review I feel it is not appropriate to discuss a directly competing 420 Magazine sponsors product in the same Product Review. I believe that each 420 Magazine sponsors LED light product deserves to be fairly evaluated against conventional Florescent lights, Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium light that they are directly compared against as a standard for grow area illumination.

I can not comment on the price of a product that each 420 Magazine sponsor must set to bring a product to retail market at and maintain a profit. I must respect the rights of a 420 Magazine sponsor who chooses not to discuss proprietary secrets that they believe gives their product a distinct advantage.

As a staff member of 420, are you even allowed to mention the true downsides of the sponsors products that might deter someone and make them buy a non sponsor product, or are you required to showcase them, which is then no longer an unbiased review of the product.

As a 420 Magazine Staff Member I am not restricted in presenting my experiences in any way using any product that a 420 Magazine sponsor has provided for a Product Review. I have not been guided, coached or coerced to present any 420 Magazine sponsors product in a positive or negative way.

You say that your harvest under the LUSH was greater than under HID's but i would argue this point with the following fact.

Even you John, we all become better growers after each grow and harvest, which is why i feel your harvest was only EQUAL to that under HID lighting. You simply get better and better each time you grow, thus perfecting your techniques and methods, getting the most out of your equipment and growing skills, and producing a bigger harvest every time.

I looked at your numbers you posted about the yields.. you BARELY squeezed out a bigger harvest under the LED's, and i attribute that to being a better grower each grow.

If we grew less and less each harvest, one should wonder what they are doing wrong, no?

Out of respect for Twilight Groups LED, I will not discuss another directly competing 420 Magazine sponsors product in Twilight Groups LED sponsored Grow Journal and Review.

If you grew the same genetics of plants side by side using the same room, same nutrient recipe, same everything except for the lighting, you would have a very fair situation to make the HID vs LED argument.

I agree! I do wish I could accommodate a side by side direct comparison grow between LED light panels Versus High Intensity Discharge lighting in exact the same grow environments and conditions!

I'm not counting out this LED panel at all, but i have every right to voice my opinion on LED's based on the proof and information thats out there.

I agree!

That proof is LED's dont outgrow HID's..... YET!!! LED's are emerging as a fast growing technology, but theres a reason large nutrient companies dont use LED's in their test facilities.. theres a reason why all the BC GreenHouses dont use LED's in their growing facilities. Theres a reason that medical marijuana growing facilities DONT use LED's. Its not the cost, these companies all receive government funding and have millions in funds to spend on lighting and Air Conditioning, but they go with whats PROVEN to work time and time again.
They simply get more yield from traditional HID lighting.

In terms of overall weight LED light technology is fast approaching the yields possible with High Intensity Discharge lighting. In terms of overall aroma, flavor, potency and quality I believe that LED light panels are currently able to surpass High Pressure Sodium lighting.

High Intensity Discharge illumination is the standard for indoor growing established for many years that all other indoor illumination is compared to for growing cannabis and a logical choice for a commercial business able to provide large open grow areas with ideal temperature and humidity for standardized testing conditions.

If you are interested in sticker shock you should price out the difference between hobbyist level and commercial level High Intensity Discharge equipment.

And when people are looking at return on investments, LED's dont compare to the ROI an HID set up can provide. And looking at most people here on 420, we're all on a budget and all have troubles finding and affording our medicine.

I disagree. When I researched High Intensity Discharge I decided to use high efficiency Lumatek Digital Dimmable ballasts with proven results and a warranty to maximize Return Of Investment over their lifetime versus more inexpensive but less efficient equipment that would cost more money in expenses.

After equipment outlay costs electricity is the single highest expense for an indoor grow and with electricity costs ranging from $0.12-0.32 per kilowatt hour nationally seeking other technology to more efficiently use the electricity is only logical.

When you add up equipment outlay, running costs of associated cooling equipment and replacement Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium light bulb every 2-3 grows with the accepted standard of High Intensity Discharge lighting a good LED light panel offers superior Return Of Investment.

I enjoy discussions like this John, please do not look at this as a personal attack or anything towards you.

I as well enjoy discussing these topics, I never took offense to your opinions and questions.

I wish to thank 420 Magazine and the 420 Magazine sponsors for this incredible opportunity to Review new and exciting technology. I strive to provide informative Grow Journal and Reviews so that they may aid people in deciding how suitable the product is to their budget, grow environments and uses.

As a 420 Magazine Product Reviewer I must comply with 420 Magazine rules and policies. I am required to submit Product Reviews drafts in a standardized format and quality for editing before posting Product Reviews. I have not been requested or required to include or omit any information in my Grow Journal and Reviews. The content and composition of my Grow Journal and Reviews is my own and thanks to support from 420 Magazine and 420 Magazine sponsors I am able to provide more information to people seeking an informed opinion. Anyone is free to either ask me in the respective Grow Journal and Reviews or in a personal message to answer any question that I may be able to help them with.

In my experiences working with 420 Magazine and the 420 Magazine sponsors I can only thank them for their support and allowing me an incredible opportunity to Review products that I would otherwise never have access to. I can not be thankful enough for all of the constant positive feedback from 420 Magazine, 420 Magazine sponsors and 420 Magazine members that make 420 Magazine such and incredible place to be a part of.

I would like to thank 420 Magazine and the 420 Magazine members who voted me Member Of The Month - June 2013 and Member Of The Year - 2013 that has lead to this incredible opportunity for me to join 420 Magazine as a Staff Member. Thank you for all of your comments, Likes and Reputation!

Thanks John, I would like to continue this discussion very soon.

I have some News on the BC Sweet Tooth everyone.

Today marks day 56 from seed, and i have not seen any positive confirmation of female calyxes.

I have other plants that i germinated a week or so later than this plant, and they have shown female pre-flowers already.

What i have seen, is what looks like the beginning of a male stamen forming. This makes sense as to why i have not seen any female calyxes yet.

So here's my plan:

Tomorrow I find out if Lady GT and myself are getting a puppy that we have been trying to adopt. If so, then no tent for a couple weeks, and the Sweet Tooth continues on for another few weeks or so.

If I don't get a new puppy tomorrow, then i get a new Veg area!!

I will be coming home with a new 4x8 tent, two or three 2'x4' flood tables, two or three 4' T5HO fixtures, one or two new water pumps depending on how many flood tables i get, a 4" inline fan, a new Gen Hydro air pump, some airstones and a couple totes for reservoirs.

Will be good times moving lots of things around and setting up a new tent.

I should mention tho, that if the BC Sweet Tooth turns out to be male, this journal is done, and i will be moving on to something else with this light.

i follow 42 journals and only one has had manplants but it was both this guy's plants, so he lost the whole grow (he's still hanging on but... they're boys.)

Now, bad things come in threes so if your BC sweet tooth turns out to be a boy, I'll kill you.

Cos i know the third bad thing would probably happen to me lol

hahaha...

Well, we met our possible new puppy today, but did not get him. So......

GreenThumb J got a new veg tent!!

4x8 tent with TWO 2x4 flood tables and a 4' 4-bulb T5HO fixture to put over the flood tables and a kick ass 4" inline fan for exhaust!!

WHOOO!

So in a day or two, i will have my new tent set up and have all my plants in the new tent so i can put the Sweet Tooth into flower to determine sex.

Believe me, if this plant turns out male, i'm sure i'm going to be a bit more disappointed than you! 2 months i've babied this plant!

fingers crossed for you it turns out to be a beautiful girl.....

Back
Top Bottom