Greetings from Minnesota!

bobblehead

Hi All,
Great place, this. I've learned so much growing and MMJ in this fabulous community, and have also had a chance to 'chat' with new found neighbors.

As I was thinking about posting here, I thought I'd share a bit about my first grow that had a semi-tragic ending. It started a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. No, wait, maybe it was senior year in college. This was back in another ugly recession and poor job market. A classmate and good friend and I decided we'd figure out how to grow some herb and sell it, given we'd not been able to land jobs and the prospect of graduation meant living at home again with the less-than-happy-to-have-me-back parents. The house we lived in with 12 other guys had a secret the two of us discovered during an evening with our mutual friend, Bing. Bing was our jointly owned bong. The stairs to the basement had underneath a secret closet, covered by an easily removable knotty pine panel. Virtually undetectable, we found it when one of us bumped into it and we noticed a very hollow sound. What was most amazing is that this closet had an electrical outlet! The secret grow room!! It was meant to be....

We gathered seeds from some Thai bud we had and set them in wet paper towels, and went down to the hardware store to gather the grow bulbs, small pots, soil and fertilizer (Miracle Gro, no less!). Upon sprouting we carefully planted 9 plants we code named "the bears". We raised the bears starting in January, with the plan being to transplant them in May before graduation to continue to grow them outdoors. The bears thrived in this environment, with their two papa bears checking them usually in the middle of the night, feeding them, adding lights when our budget could afford them, reading them bedtime stories, etc. They grew and grew...reaching to between four and five feet! We needed to get them outdoors as they were soon to be bursting out of their secret den. We took a road trip to find a planting spot, and found one several miles from campus, in a thickly grown area not far from a marshy pond. We prepped the new home and then came back for our bear cubs. It must have been quite a sight the two of us driving like hell through a small MN college town with the back end of my dad's station wagon filled to overflowing with pot plants in the back. It sure smelled nice in that car...anyway, we carefully got them planted and checked on them every other day or so until graduation.

Post graduation bear care was going to be a challenge. The 'papa bears' had to go to our respective homes 1 and 2 hours away for over a week. We figured we'd leave enough food for the plants to thrive on and put what was to be a fatal feeding around the base of our plants. When I finally did get back to check on them, they were virtually shocked to death. I did the most humane thing I could think of--I cut them all down and stuffed two grocery bags full of leaves and baby buds. They were essentially dry already, and when I got to my friend's house with what was left of our precious bears, we decided to give them a try with our friend, Bing.

We were hugely disappointed that we were not going to have several pounds to sell. Our misery was relieved quite a bit by the grocery bags full of leaves/shake. We called the bears "dessert dope", because of how easy and sweet they were to smoke. It was surprisingly strong, too...made for a nice summer of unemployment, the unemployment part notwithstanding. The bears were "two hit dope"...and left me pretty baked for a good little while after smoking.

I sure wish I'd had a forum like 420magazine back then. Things could have turned out a lot different. Oh well.

Thanks for reading if you've gotten this far. I'm trying to figure out a super-discrete grow now that I'm married with children...I'm thinking either attic or outdoors in woods not too far away. Much planning and reconnaisance (plus I'll wait until the MN spring) is between me and my next attempt. I'll keep you posted as to progress. I know it won't end tragically like before. Peace, everyone. And thanks for such a fun site to spend time gaping, reading, planning and DROOLING!! Be cool, Bob(blehead).:peace:

:welcome: bobblehead Glad you are here! Great story,:clap: aleast those "bears" give you something to enjoy that Summer!:bongrip: Secret room very cool! Bet you wish you had the room now. Keep reading the forums to help out which route you will travel this time. I 'm thinking start now in attic tranplant outdoors in spring? But I think MN has long winters I'm I right? Any way good luck with your future plan. 420 WILL help you in all areas of Growing this wonderful Plant! Hope to hear more from you. See in the Forums :peace:

Thanks for the welcome, all. At this point as I need to keep this secret from everyone, wife included, I'm thinking of growing outdoors. I'd like to start things in my garage attic (accessible by ladder only--she never ventures up there) and transplant outdoors in the spring. MN has a long winter, so I don't know that I could get things germinating until late March, early April in the attic. I've got a short list of pretty wild parks that I need to do recon on to determine a suitable, discrete growing spot. I've been watching the grow journals of about 8 folks so far...a mix including Spike's great indoor grows, an attic grow, closet grow, and some good outdoor grows.

I appreciate the great input, everyone...I'm glad to be here!!:thanks:

Sooo...who else around here is from MN? I know Spike might be, any others? Thank in advance and "howdy" in advance, y'all!!:peace::rocker:

Happy Holidays to everyone at 420 Magazine, especially my fellow Minnesotans. Be happy, be safe, be high. Happy New Year!!

Bob

:peace:

:xmas:

Back
Top Bottom