Greetings From Newfoundland!

Beautiful shots! I did 25 winters on the Avalon so I know all about Newfoundland blizzards. People up here have no real conception of the differences between eastern Ontario and Newfoundland winters. It’s an entirely different beast. You’re a mainlander originally then I take it? What made you pick Fogo? I’ve spent a little time in Newfoundland’s picturesque outports myself - the remoteness is good for a while, but I’ve grown so used to the amenities of a major city that I’m not sure I’d be able to dial it down like that in my daily life. Maybe later in life. I’ve strongly considered moving back to St. John’s, which would be a start.

You could do a tent within your shed, you’d just need to prepare for regulating your environment - getting the environment factors (temperature and humidity) right is half the battle.

Thanks DobeWan. I'm an avid landscape/nature photographer, so I'm always out and about with some camera gear in tow. But many of my favourite seascape images were captured right in front of our house. We never tire of the view, that's for sure!

No, we're not true Newfies. We were born/raised in Southern Ontario, and spent many years in Manitoba, then in British Columbia. (Lower Mainland, then the Okanagan) prior to heading to the east coast. We had often talked over the years about one day living right on the ocean, but always figured we would never be able to afford to. In 2004 I took a bad fall in the workplace which left me with a serious and unfortunately permanent spinal injury, and when it was eventually determined that I would never be able to work again, we decided to spend our retirement on the East Coast, and the rest as they say is history.

City life is not for us. (though we did our share of it years ago) We really do have it made here on our ruggedly scenic island... there is absolutely no crime to speak of, no noise, no pollution, no traffic, not a single traffic light nor freeway onramp to be found, no texting teens, no graffiti, no gangs. It's like we are stuck back in time... not necessarily a bad thing. It's like a modern day Mayberry! The doors are never locked and the keys never come out of the ignition.

Regarding the motorcycles, I have not traveled over much of our province on two wheels, mainly because my spinal issues prevent me from lasting more than about an hour max in the saddle, before the pain becomes too intense to ride. So most riding it done right here on our island, which is great, because I highly doubt that a safer place exists for motorcyclists. There is almost no one on the roads to hit, nor to be hit by. The biggest danger would be the woodland caribou who seem to think that our roads were built for them! My wife and I never tire of cruising the scenic coastal roads, enjoying the views of icebergs, humpback whales, and unmatched sunsets.

Here's a couple pics of some of our toys, followed by a few more pics taken from in front of our place.

Glen

DSC03714a2500_1280x1280.jpg

DSC05218a2500_1280x1280.jpg

DSC03072 (2)ascreen2_1280x1280.jpg

Fogo Island Morning_1280x1280.jpg

Island Harbour Sunset_1024_1280x1280.jpg

Now I am officially amazed.
Beautiful nature and I love the cruise bike. (most probably wrong word) Never really liked the racing types.

Thanks AngryBird, for your kind comments. There is no shortage of pristine nature here. We never tire of the scenic vistas.

Yes, the cruiser (2014 Yamaha V-Star Custom) is a real beauty, very comfy and a ton of fun to ride. The red one (2014 Honda CB500FA) is not considered a "racing type", in fact is not even classed as a "sport bike", but is a "naked roadster". I bought it for its perfect ergonomics. I can actually sit naturally upright like a human; it's almost like sitting in a very comfortable chair. I require this type of unstrained seating position due to a permanently damaged spine. (crushed upper vertebrae) With a typical sportbike, the rider must lean down low over the fuel tank, putting much pressure onto the hands/wrists/forearms, and particularly the back and shoulders, due to very low-positioned handlebars. (in relation to the seat height) The Honda has all the latest bells and whistles, (liquid-cooled V-twin, fuel injection, a very refined whisper-quiet exhaust note, (I hate loud bikes!) front/rear ABS disc brakes, etc) and can accelerate from 0-100 in 5 seconds flat, yet delivers an unmatched 83 mpg. (Imperial gallons) More fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Glen

DSC05137b1000small.jpg

DSC05216a1000small.jpg

DSC03829a1000small.jpg

DSC05222a1000small.jpg

I would go on a ride with the cruiser anytime.!
Past experience on a racing (gsxr1000) bike obviously have made me kind of scared.
Anything remotely looking like one, makes me shiver.
Driving in that scenery makes "going for a ride" awesomely beautiful.

I would go on a ride with the cruiser anytime.!
Past experience on a racing (gsxr1000) bike obviously have made me kind of scared.
Anything remotely looking like one, makes me shiver.
Driving in that scenery makes "going for a ride" awesomely beautiful.

Yup, a ride on a GSXR1000 would quite likely turn me right off of motorcycling. At 56 years old, my days of racing around like a hellion are far behind me. My quiet, mild-mannered (47HP) Honda can go 190 km/hour, and it can easily out-accelerate pretty much anything with four wheels. It still manages to keep a smile permanently etched on my face, without putting my life in extreme danger. Anything faster than that is just an accident waiting to happen. A death wish.

Oh yeah, and back to the subject of cannabis, I have this weekend discovered that a mere 4 drops of my high-THC (30mg/ml) oil placed under the tongue is enough to have me sleeping soundly right through the night... for the first time in YEARS! All of the long list of potent sleep meds that I've been prescribed over the past few years have failed to give me a single decent night's sleep. Until now!

Glen

Yup, a ride on a GSXR1000 would quite likely turn me right off of motorcycling. At 56 years old, my days of racing around like a hellion are far behind me. My quiet, mild-mannered (47HP) Honda can go 190 km/hour, and it can easily out-accelerate pretty much anything with four wheels. It still manages to keep a smile permanently etched on my face, without putting my life in extreme danger. Anything faster than that is just an accident waiting to happen. A death wish.

Oh yeah, and back to the subject of cannabis, I have this weekend discovered that a mere 4 drops of my high-THC (30mg/ml) oil placed under the tongue is enough to have me sleeping soundly right through the night... for the first time in YEARS! All of the long list of potent sleep meds that I've been prescribed over the past few years have failed to give me a single decent night's sleep. Until now!

Glen
Wow, allthough I concider it being a high dose.
Did you build up to that level or did you start at that?
Have you tried other strains that have the sleep effect on people?
Cheese
Larry OG
Bubba Kush

Wow, allthough I concider it being a high dose.
Did you build up to that level or did you start at that?
Have you tried other strains that have the sleep affect on people?
Cheese
Larry OG
Bubva Kush

I just started the night before last at 3 drops and didn't feel anything, so I was surprised that by increasing it by just one drop made such a big difference. No, I have yet to try anything else; I'm brand-spanking-new to this whole cannabis thing.... as of this week! In fact, just this one little bottle of oil and a 14 gram jar of (16% THC) dry is all we have had delivered so far. And we're still waiting for the vaporizer to be delivered so that I can try the dry. (the Missus has already smoked some, and loves it!) The high-CBD dry flower and high-CBD oil are both still on backorder, so it will likely be awhile before I am able to experiment with using this to help with chronic pain.

Glen

wow,, beauty shots friend,, this country is so never endingly beautiful,, ease to west, north to south,, around every single corner is more beauty,, for those that see

i spent grade two and three in cornwallis,, nova scotia,, so i have some appreciation for the east coast,, tho such a minute sample, indeed

like everything, it's what one makes it,, life that is,,

karma sent for your packages,, for them to arrive safely,,

photo, wet coast v.i..jpg

a photo from about as far away in canada as you can get from where you are,, west coast of vancouver island,,

cheers friend,,

had to edit cuz i did not see all the other pics as yet,, very very nice indeed,, can always tell a good lens,, sharp as really sharp things,, great stuff

Keep in mind you will have different responses depending on other factors too.

If you eat and have a full stomach, the body makes more efficient use of the dose, and can hit you hard.

If you take the same dose on an empty stomach you may not feel anything. The body needs fat I believe to deliver the medicine.

Just a few tidbits I picked up reading other threads in this forums

one thing about the oil,, and ingestion,, i say this because you mentioned the noticeable difference from one drop more the next night,,

now,, this from observation and experience only,, mostly with cannabis oils i use for my sore hands,, which work like crazy btw,,

but, i notice,, this stuff accumulates in the body,, like it reserves itself and releases over time,,

that perhaps could be why you notice so much difference with one more drop,, some accumulation from the night before

i know with my hands,, the affects keep on working even after i stop using for a day or two,, i usually use the oil every few hours,, tincture actually but same dif

no proof, at all,, something to be aware of tho, perhaps,, cheers

I can second that, made myself a Guinea pig, just to see.
Took edible on empty stomach.. . Waited 2hrs nothing, so I
ate something with olive oil... Felt it almost emidiately.
Conclusion eat, medicate.. Enjoy sleep
Let me look in on the rest for you.
Medicating.. Let me find the link

Keep in mind you will have different responses depending on other factors too.

If you eat and have a full stomach, the body makes more efficient use of the dose, and can hit you hard.

If you take the same dose on an empty stomach you may not feel anything. The body needs fat I believe to deliver the medicine.

Just a few tidbits I picked up reading other threads in this forums

Very interesting. Seems it's about the opposite of when I take my usual pain meds... if I take them on an empty stomach they work much better/faster. I mistakenly believed the same might be true for the oil. Wow, there is so much to learn! Thanks!
Glen

even further away,,

P1070817.JPG

the very tippy top of haida gwai,, queen charlottes,, that hill up there is one of them basalt columnular rock formations,, five sided columns,, very cool

one thing about the oil,, and ingestion,, i say this because you mentioned the noticeable difference from one drop more the next night,,

now,, this from observation and experience only,, mostly with cannabis oils i use for my sore hands,, which work like crazy btw,,

but, i notice,, this stuff accumulates in the body,, like it reserves itself and releases over time,,

that perhaps could be why you notice so much difference with one more drop,, some accumulation from the night before

i know with my hands,, the affects keep on working even after i stop using for a day or two,, i usually use the oil every few hours,, tincture actually but same dif

no proof, at all,, something to be aware of tho, perhaps,, cheers

Wow, thanks for this post, nivek! There is so much to learn, and thank goodness for folks like you, who are kind enough to assist those of us who are still on the bottom rungs of the ladder. Very much appreciated!

I love the photo from Vancouver Island you posted above. We have spent time camping in Tofino and Uclulet. You mentioned "a good lens" for sharpness. I have a large assortment of camera gear, both analogue and digital. I have a ton of glass for my four Sony Alpha-series DSLR bodies, but I much prefer the vintage A-mount (Minolta Maxxum) prime lenses from the mid-80's for their unmatched sharpness, contrast and colour rendering. They just work so beautifully on my Sony bodies.

Glen

even further away,,

P1070817.JPG

the very tippy top of haida gwai,, queen charlottes,, that hill up there is one of them basalt columnular rock formations,, five sided columns,, very cool
Awesome. Have never been up that way, but now wish I had done so.

Glen

Thought you all might be interested in seeing what a real honest-to-goodness Newfoundland snowfall looks like! 250cm (100 inches) fell in just 48 hours. (April 2017) There was no trace of snow on the ground two days prior to this storm.

Glen

IMG_20170405_092315674_1024x1024.jpg

20170404_121107_1024x1024_zpsgt5hxzvb.jpg

DSC05028a1500_1024x1024.jpg

wow ewwww and wow ahhhh

just an fyi,, my first real job i worked at a place called, on the map, tide lake, b.c.,, the year before,, and this is in the books,,this place, in the guiness book for all to see, had the world record for snow fall in one year,, over 100, nope, not inches,, over a hundred feet,, over a thousand inches, well over,, cool to see the tops of trees poke out

Back
Top Bottom