Greetings From Northern Ontario: Getting Ready For First Grow

metcalfr

Hi everyone. I am a newb when it comes to growing marijuana. I have been lurking in several forums and have been following Mr. Canucks grow on youtube. I think I am just about ready to start. I thought I would do a quick write up as to my plans and if anyone has any input I would more than welcome it. I picked up a 2x4x6 spider farmer grow tent with the SF2000 LED grow light. It also came with ducting, filter, fan, four fabric 5 gallon pots and digital thermometer with moisture reader. I will also be purchasing a couple of smaller fans. I picked up a water ph tester with ph up and down to keep my water supply at around 6.5. I have pest traps so that I will know if I have any pests. I have vitamin C for de-chlorination of my water supply. I picked up a small pressurized water sprayer. I have a dehumidifier and heater if needed. I plan on installing GFCI receptacles for my power supply. I also picked up a soil reader for moisture content. I will try growing northern lights X big bud auto fem seeds. I am unsure how many I should try growing. I was thinking of 3-4 in case something happens to one of them. My plan is to use all organic. I am looking at using Gaia green living soil blend 1-0-0 with Gaia green worm castings, Gaia green 4-4-4 and Gaia green bloom 2-8-4. I plan on doing 2 top dressings during the grow period so that all I need to do is water, defoliate and train. My final plan is after my first grow I will reuse the soil for planting lettuce, peppers and cucumbers. I will then put the soil outside for flower beds and start fresh with new soil etc for the next grow. I would love any and all comments, criticism etc. Thanks everyone for your time. Cheers.

Hi everyone. I am a newb when it comes to growing marijuana. I have been lurking in several forums and have been following Mr. Canucks grow on youtube. I think I am just about ready to start. I thought I would do a quick write up as to my plans and if anyone has any input I would more than welcome it. I picked up a 2x4x6 spider farmer grow tent with the SF2000 LED grow light. It also came with ducting, filter, fan, four fabric 5 gallon pots and digital thermometer with moisture reader. I will also be purchasing a couple of smaller fans. I picked up a water ph tester with ph up and down to keep my water supply at around 6.5. I have pest traps so that I will know if I have any pests. I have vitamin C for de-chlorination of my water supply. I picked up a small pressurized water sprayer. I have a dehumidifier and heater if needed. I plan on installing GFCI receptacles for my power supply. I also picked up a soil reader for moisture content. I will try growing northern lights X big bud auto fem seeds. I am unsure how many I should try growing. I was thinking of 3-4 in case something happens to one of them. My plan is to use all organic. I am looking at using Gaia green living soil blend 1-0-0 with Gaia green worm castings, Gaia green 4-4-4 and Gaia green bloom 2-8-4. I plan on doing 2 top dressings during the grow period so that all I need to do is water, defoliate and train. My final plan is after my first grow I will reuse the soil for planting lettuce, peppers and cucumbers. I will then put the soil outside for flower beds and start fresh with new soil etc for the next grow. I would love any and all comments, criticism etc. Thanks everyone for your time. Cheers.
Welcome friend. :welcome:how far north im at the 45 parallel.
You have done your research and have a great plan. :thumb: Not sure you will fit 4 girls in that tent, but we see when you get set up. I wouldn't worry much about that moisture meter, they don't work. Since your in soil you will have to let pots dry out anyway. Can't think of any thing else to mention, looking forward to your grow. Shoot us a pic when you get going. :Namaste: happy growing friend.

Thanks everyone, both nervous and excited. I feel like I have done more research on growing than I did raising my kids lol. Kinda reminds me of being in grade school growing a pea in a cup and hoping like hell it would grow. Stoneotter the links that you have a great. Watering is my biggest concern especially when during germination. Cheers everyone. Heading out today to grab my soil, etc. Waiting for the tent kit to come in. I figure I better grab everything in case we go into lockdown again. Stay safe everyone!!!!!

Hello :welcome: always nice too see another fellow Canadian (Ontario ) grower join the group, just my 2 cents but that tent is going to be too small for 4 plants even if they are auto`s , you will have a hard time trimming, watering your plants plus the air flow is going to be hard to maintain, plus a 2000 watt led is going to have your temps around 80-85 degrees witch is a little to hot , i would go with a 4x4x7 tent for 4 plants .more room is always a better way to go .

Hello :welcome: always nice too see another fellow Canadian (Ontario ) grower join the group, just my 2 cents but that tent is going to be too small for 4 plants even if they are auto`s , you will have a hard time trimming, watering your plants plus the air flow is going to be hard to maintain, plus a 2000 watt led is going to have your temps around 80-85 degrees witch is a little to hot , i would go with a 4x4x7 tent for 4 plants .more room is always a better way to go .
Tent is already on its way. I figured start a little smaller and after a year I can upgrade the tent and get a second light. I think I will be okay heat wise. I have a large laundry room in the basement 12x14 with a door. I should be able to easily control the environment. It is always freezing downstairs even in the summer. I usually run an infrared heater down there in the winter to ensure no problem with pipes freezing. The temp with the heater is normally only 62C. But I can easily bump it up. I will run the lights before growing to see what kind of Temps I have and supplement with the heater or not lol. I might try 3 plants. Yes I guess I am greedy. Just seems like a waste of energy to only do two. This first grow will be a huge learning experience. Hopefully a good one.

Welcome! I'm running the SF2000 in my current grow that's about to be harvested.

I love the reusing of soil. Get yourself some pH meter storage solution, as well. When I got my meter (budget Apera) my pH readings were drifting from accuracy within days of recalibrating. Finally someone on here was like 'hey, you know those little glass bulbs should always be in a magical solution of KCl or they lose ions, right?'

I still have no clue exactly how that little glass bulbs works BUT I do know my meter isn't being stupid anymore.

You look really prepared...even GFCIs!

And no worries about researching plants more than kids. Kids, for the most part, know to move away from something if it's burning them.

Welcome! I'm running the SF2000 in my current grow that's about to be harvested.

I love the reusing of soil. Get yourself some pH meter storage solution, as well. When I got my meter (budget Apera) my pH readings were drifting from accuracy within days of recalibrating. Finally someone on here was like 'hey, you know those little glass bulbs should always be in a magical solution of KCl or they lose ions, right?'

I still have no clue exactly how that little glass bulbs works BUT I do know my meter isn't being stupid anymore.

And no worries about researching plants more than kids. Kids, for the most part, know to move away from something if it's burning them.
What did you have your lights set at for germination? If strength and height?

I put a comment for you in the wrong spot. How far did you have your lights and the power for each part of your plants growth cycle? I'm having a hard time finding good info on this even when I search and I don't want to burn my plants or give them too little light. Thanks

there is no golden rule about light height as it depends on the environment of your grow room and at what stage of growth your plants are at , seedling middle of veg or flowering , wouldn't get them any closer than 12 inches from the top of your plant in full flower , i bought a automotive temp gun from canadian tire to measure the exact temps of my leaves at the top of my plants ($39.00), i like my tops to be between 75-78 degree this is flower and a little less as seedlings 71-74 degrees

I put a comment for you in the wrong spot. How far did you have your lights and the power for each part of your plants growth cycle? I'm having a hard time finding good info on this even when I search and I don't want to burn my plants or give them too little light. Thanks
I've got mine at 7" right now, 100% power but I started at 12-18" like most of the community. I then got a wild hair up my bum to just keep lowering the lights to see if I could damage my plants. I was never really able to but I think once a grid of LEDs gets too close to a plant, then the overall 'group effect' that makes these sorts of lights so powerful is probably being lost. I can't really say until I get a proper PAR meter.

So... my tent and accessories arrived. Box is kind of beat to shit. Thanks ups. Will set up in the next couple of days to ensure no damage.

20210302_143504.jpg

20210302_143443.jpg

20210302_143454.jpg

wow you weren't kidding when you said beat to shit , ya i would put it together sooner than later just to make sure you aren't missing pieces or ripped , put a strong flash light inside it and turn the lights off outside to see if it has light leaks as this is important when you go to flower , unless you will be always running auto plants , they need total darkness if you go to a 12/12 light period for just feminized seeds , if you go auto then run a 24/0 light period they grow faster and bushier with the extra light . But it does use more hydro going 24/0 .

Back
Top Bottom