Greetings

420Granny

Greetings from the sunshine state, where we get our full and fair share of aging individuals with chronic illnesses and pains with no access to medical marijuana. Now, John Morgan, a local attorney is financing a bid for medicinal MJ, for which I would be grateful. With degenerative arthritis in my shoulders and my spine, high pressure in my eyes indicitavie of glaucoma, I'd certainly benefit from passage of a med MJ law. Since that has not come to pass yet, I am learning cultivation techniques to provide my own herbal remedies. A girl gotta do..., right?

So yeah, an old hippie here that grew up in the days of 4 finger lids for 20 bucks, this new product is amazing but the cost is prohibitive for those of us on limited incomes. No choice really, but to pursue herbal horticulture with the advice of a life long friend who lives in an MJ friendly state.

About to wrap up my first grow and it is pretty dismal, though totally my fault for grown in pots too small to produce much yield. Just forming trichomes now and it smells nice and skunky, so it may not be huge but it sure smells like it's gonna be nice. And I now possess 3 ten gallon pots and one that's probablly at least 20 gallons. Will get it right next go round. And since I live in the land of Disney dreams, much to my disgust at what they've done to my native state, at least I have year round growth possibilities. So, I'm optomistic.

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
TTFN...Granny

Hi 420Granny.

Such a nice introduction. I applaud you for pursing a safe and reliable source of treatment for your own needs! Welcome to the 420 Magazine site and community of members that gathers here.

I know you'll find the community welcoming and supportive of your efforts. Would you consider a grow journal as you undertake your next round? I know plenty of members would be glad to offer insights and help in maximizing the results of your next efforts.

Be well and happy growing.

Hi 420Granny.

Would you consider a grow journal as you undertake your next round? I know plenty of members would be glad to offer insights and help in maximizing the results of your next efforts.

Be well and happy growing.

Thanks for the lovely welcome and I can certainly give a grow journal a shot. As a matter of fact, I have a pretty little girl I just repotted this morning. Transferred her from a about a 2 pint starter pot into a 2 gallon nursery pot. She's about 10 inches tall, maybe a little taller and she's got several beautiful white pistols already. She had a companion, started a couple of weeks prior but, alas, it was male and as pretty as he was, he had to go.

I have a good sized spare bedroom that's basically storage, so will be setting it up for growing when the weather gets cooler. My grow guru in Maine tells me to water with warmish water and keep her between 65-75 degrees, so am good for the moment. We never know what we're going to get for winter weather here. Average is about 72 for the cold months, which can run from December to the end of February, depending on what sinks down from the great white north. Spent 14 years in rural Ohio, married to an Ohio farm boy, so winter growing was too expensive to manage for young parents. 26 years later am no longer doing the Nanuk of the North gig, so this should be a much better environment.

Heat is the thing I deal with most, so big lesson learned with this first Florida grow, don't let your girls sit out in 90+ heat, full sun or not. So, anyone with growing tips for a hot humid environments would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I just used a basic promix for seedlings and starters. Will get some better soil when she's ready to put in one of the larger pots...read: when I can afford to buy a couple big bags of really quality soil. Fixed incomes are a bitch.

TTFN...Granny

Interesting background info 420Granny. I'm originally from Ohio also (city boy though) and likewise, moved south as I just got tired of the bleak, cold winters. Yes, the heat and humidity in the southern tier of states can present a challenge at times. I've only grown indoors down here, but back in the day we did manage to eak out a couple of outdoor grows in Ohio and I have to say that in spite of not having a clue what we were doing (prior to the internet-teenagers) we grew some pretty decent smoke.

I follow a journal that you might find interesting as well. This Year's Outdoor 2013 Garden Diary - By JTG And Wife! This Gentleman grows outdoors in northern California and during the hottest of the summer months can sometimes experience temps over 100 degrees. From memory I think he mentions that this year it hit over 110 a couple times and his girls are absolutely monstrous. I'm talking 10'-14' tall and producing 8-10 pounds plus on some plants. I'm wondering if there might be some specific strains that would work just fine outdoors in your location, however I am just not knowledgeable enough to know what those strains might be.

I'll definitely follow along in your journal. Oh, and Promix is actually a great growing medium if you add some perlite.

Nope. Knocking at 60's door but, hey, 60's the new 40, right? Age is just a number these days. Us oldies but goodies are much less conservative and uptight than they were when I was a youngster. I find my 26 year old daughter is much more politically conservative than I ever have been. My ex and I keep wondering how the child of an old hippie chick and a stoner-biker produced such a sweet little yuppie. Kinda gives me the willies if I think about it too much.

Hello and welcome, 420Granny! It's great to meet another lady grower.

I second (or third.. fourth) the idea of a grow journal. You will definitely get a lot of support that way, and it's always fun to be able to look back on your progress beginning to end.

And what a small world - I'm originally from Ohio. The MJ laws there nowadays are pretty lax compared to many states, but I'd still be afraid to grow outside winter or not :laughtwo:

Kinda gives me the willies if I think about it too much.

This statement is making me giggle out loud. It's how I feel about my husband sometimes, but he is coming out of his yuppie shell the older he gets. :amen:

Back
Top Bottom