Grinders good or bad?

Pepper mill? I don't know if it would work as a cannabis grinder, but most of them have some degree of adjustment. Or a salt mill? I suspect that it takes a lot of toughness to continually grind salt crystals into smaller ones and hold up.

Here's a wiki page about burr mills that might give you some ideas to try:
Burr mill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would think that a hand mill/grinder of some sort would be better than ones that are motorized (such as modern coffee grinders). Unless you could slow the motor down greatly.

And for everyone that finds their cannabis grinders - of whatever sort - aren't lasting very long: You are cleaning their working surfaces regularly with something that will act as a solvent such as alcohol, aren't you?

Pepper mill? I don't know if it would work as a cannabis grinder, but most of them have some degree of adjustment. Or a salt mill? I suspect that it takes a lot of toughness to continually grind salt crystals into smaller ones and hold up.

Here's a wiki page about burr mills that might give you some ideas to try:
Burr mill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would think that a hand mill/grinder of some sort would be better than ones that are motorized (such as modern coffee grinders). Unless you could slow the motor down greatly.

And for everyone that finds their cannabis grinders - of whatever sort - aren't lasting very long: You are cleaning their working surfaces regularly with something that will act as a solvent such as alcohol, aren't you?

Thanks TS! I definitely keep mine clean. I usually clean whichever I use right after I grind with it. Problem is as I said, they get gummed up in the middle of the process because my buds are usually really frosty and thick with resin. Good thing for potency, but a bitch to work with! ;)

Yes a Grinder creates a consistent burn and there is no risk....provided you are using a high quality grinder. You do not want to mix up your product with a wooden grinder you need a grinder made of high quality 6061 Aluminum.

Grinders do come in handy, but it all comes down to the type of weed your handling. If you bought some mids and don't want to have to sit there and break it up then YES a grinder is very good. When it comes to chronic weed a grinder is not the best tool to use. My question for you is : Why would you want to break up chronic with any other tool than your hands?
I only use my grinder for mids. I enjoy breaking up chronic with my hands and getting my hands nice and sticky so I can roll a nice blunt or pack a nice bong hit.
In the end its all up to what you prefer.
~Tamemoe~
Yeah but if you grind any cannabis especially chronic with your fingers it will make your fingers sticky and kill a lot of the trichomes and lower the potency of the THC. That's why your fingers are sticky because of the trichomes, the reason your fingers get sticky is because the trichomes are interacting with the natural oils on your fingers and when you grind with your fingers the oil will make the trichomes stick and when rubbing your fingers together will kill the trichomes and lower the potency of the THC in your cannabis, only grind when rolling a joint, never when smoking out of a pipe, bubbler, or bong.

Before selecting a grinder, I must make sure that it is designed with quality aluminum materials. I also prefer 4 pieces grinder instead of 2.

I love my grinder. I use a Four Piece with Pollen Catcher.

I never could figure out why people called the (mostly) trichomes on female cannabis plants pollen. Pollen being the bits from the male plants that fertilize female plants and make seeds and all, I wouldn't want it anywhere except possibly in a well-marked double set of ziplock baggies in the freezer, lol - and certainly not in a grinder.

Regards,
~TS~

I feel like when I break up my bud with my fingers I’m losing out on the sticky shit on my fingers. That said I just prefer to grind but I’ve gotten plenty nice nice tearing up some buds.
Get a good grinder though. Makes a difference. Stainless steel and magnetic

I’ve tried the shedding (resin) grinders, the fine tooth dust maker that came with my volcano and about 10 others.
My old grinder actually fused shut so i got this one Amazon. It’s by far my favorite and at a good cost.

The Keif catcher is fantastic. Solid build and turns smooth.

A tip for any grinder. Dap a bit of olive oil on a a tip and run it on the outside and inside of the grinder perimeters. Spins great for a couple weeks.

I feel like when I break up my bud with my fingers I’m losing out on the sticky shit on my fingers. That said I just prefer to grind but I’ve gotten plenty nice nice tearing up some buds.
Get a good grinder though. Makes a difference. Stainless steel and magnetic

I’ve tried the shedding (resin) grinders, the fine tooth dust maker that came with my volcano and about 10 others.
My old grinder actually fused shut so i got this one Amazon. It’s by far my favorite and at a good cost.

The Keif catcher is fantastic. Solid build and turns smooth.

A tip for any grinder. Dap a bit of olive oil on a a tip and run it on the outside and inside of the grinder perimeters. Spins great for a couple weeks.
Good morning @mnocito welcome to 420magazine my friend. :welcome:
Here is a thread to meet everyone and say hi.
BTW that thread is from 2016 just incase you didn't notice.
Top left corner has date, just incase.

Stay safe :cool:
Bill

Quick question...

I have a grinder where most of the kief gets caught in the top part (picture below). I read that if I soak it in 90% iso alcohol then let it dry out overnight all my kief will be extracted.

Before I go and venture into this I just wanted to gather some thoughts on this... as I'm not too keen on the idea of smoking rubbing alcohol lol.

Soak in alcohol and agitate. Then pour the alcohol into a coffee mug and boil the alcohol off and enjoy the green stuff that's left

I prefer grinders with a keif catcher. But I'm thinking of switching to a coffee grinder. I got one for my future harvest. It has 3 different settings. It does a hell of a job making it into powder. And it's pretty easy to clean.
Really a coffee grinder, must chop the hell out of it. Whatever works

You just push the button a few times. You don't hold it. Zing. Zing. Done. Perfect every time.
My manual bud buster is a pain in the rear compared to a coffee grinder, also harder to clean.
The coffee grinders don't get all caked up and you can just dust the lid and bottom with a paint brush for trichomes.
Or hold the grinder upside down and run it without any bud in it and trichomes usually stick into the corner of the lid.

You just push the button a few times. You don't hold it. Zing. Zing. Done. Perfect every time.
My manual bud buster is a pain in the rear compared to a coffee grinder, also harder to clean.
The coffee grinders don't get all caked up and you can just dust the lid and bottom with a paint brush for trichomes.
Or hold the grinder upside down and run it without any bud in it and trichomes usually stick into the corner of the lid.
E bay has them and I am going to get one.

Back
Top Bottom