Groovy Bud's Revenge Grow Journal - Super Lemon Haze & Blue Dream DWC

Groovy Bud

Greetings once again 420 community :420:,

After this unpleasant and undesired hiatus, I have come back stronger than ever.
As some of you may know, my last grow was vandalized during a robbery, without anything being taken, just broken.

Due to those circumstances I wasn't feeling safe growing on that place, and had to re-arrange myself a new safe spot. It took 3 months to settle the lighting wiring and contract's bureaucracy. Here at my country, everything that requires a contract is either sketchy or delayed.
Moving on to the most important matter, the new journey that has already started on the 14th of May. This will be a Summer grow, and yes, I know how hard and troubling it can be doing a hydro system doing Summer, especially in a moderately warm country.

I have a new and most important reason for this grow. I have been keeping up with scientific research about the bowel's anti-inflammatory properties of cannabis and it's efficiency preventing Chron's Syndrome. When the pro-inflammatory mediators are suppressed, there is a up to 70-90% chance to stop the following auto-immune reaction processes. It has been discovered that there is a high amount of cannabinoid receptors on the bowel, thus reducing the inflammation chance when exposed to cannabis' known components. A very close family member has this disease and he/she has to be chronically taking immunosuppressant drugs to prevent the auto-immune response. As some of you may be informed, these drugs are long-term steroids and have really awful side effects (you can expect to live 10 years less when compared to an healthy person).

I will be growing 2 Super Lemon Haze and 2 Blue Dream once again. I think I'll love these strains.

Grow room materials:
4x4x7 Grow Tent;
2 x DIY DWC reservoir with dripping system;
4 x 30 cm (12inch) airstones (2 per reservoir).
2 x air pump, each with 2 outputs.
300 cfm extractor
425 cfm capacity Carbon Filter
400w MH SunMaster Light Bulb
600w HPS bulb (Phytolite)
600w Lumatek digital dimmable ballast
Oscillatory Fan
GH 3 part Flora series
Rhizotonic
Cannazyme
EC and pH pens.

What has happened so far:

14th of May: Paper Towel Germination Method. They popped out of the seeds at the end of the 15th and were transferred to Rockwool cubes (pre-soaked for 24h+ on 5.5 pH tap water) and put on a germination dome, with its walls sprayed to raise humidity levels. It was left on the windowsill to catch some natural light just to evaporate the water and show the ladies where to start growing towards. During the night periods I used a typical house lamp just to heat up the dome.

On the 17th they were out of the cubes with their cotyledones out. One of the Super Lemon Haze (SLH) was slightly stretchy, but not the others. I concluded that, also based on my first grow, that SLH is a strain that tends to stretch during germination. The seeds were put all at the same depth on the rockwool but still, SLH stretched more than the Blue Dream (BD).

On the 18th I started using Rhizotonic at a 50% dosage (2ml per L)

On the 19th's morning the seedlings were moved to the tent and put under the 250w MH light (400w bulb dimmed) at a starting distance of 70cm (27 inches) for 24/7. The oscillatory fan was set up with a oblique inclination with the purpose of blowing the hot air coming from the bulb away from the ladies' canopy. Another 1ml per L of rhizotonic was added. By the night time, I felt I could lower the light's height to 55-60 cm (22 inches aprox).

On the 24th I started applying 50% of recommended nutrient dosage (2,5ml of each Micro, Gro and Bloom per 20 Liters) and 100% of Rhizotonic's recommended dosage, but still hand watering. The solution was mixed, recirculated and pH stabilized on the reservoirs for 1 day, to prevent future pH fluctuations. On the BD reservoir the measured EC was of 0.4; the SLH reservoir was at 0.37. The starting EC valuable of the tap water is 0.15.

On the 25th they were transferred from the germination dome into the netpots with hydroton and then applied top drip watering for 15 minutes every 8 hours. I hung a huge damp towel on the back of the room, with its end dipped in a bowl with water so that I could raise my room humidity (it went from 40% to 73-75%). The bulb's height was now at 45 cm (17.7 inches) from canopy's level.

On the 26th by night time I noticed that the water was getting warm and so, by the 27th morning I had 3 bottles of frozen water sank into each reservoir. I also noticed that the new growth (the 2nd node leaves) were light green so I concluded they wanted a little bit more food.

At the 27th's night time I added another 5 Liters (1.3 gallons) to each reservoir and upped the nutrient dosage to 100% of the 1st week's recommended strength (2,5 ml per 10L) while keeping Rhizotonic's strenght at 80%. The BD reservoir measured at 0.54 EC (coming from 0.46). The SLH measured 0.57 (from 0.46). I lowered the light even more to 40 cm (15.7 inches). Room humidity at 73%, canopy temperature is at approximately 26ºC. Room temperature is around 26-28ºC. I switched the timed drip watering to 4 times a day (15 minutes each, every 6 hours)

I now leave you up to some pictures of my room and ladies:

The Room:

28052015293_resize_2.jpg

SLH # 1

SLH_1_resize.jpg

SLH # 2 (this one stretched and started falling in the first days, it is stronger now)

SLH_2_resize.jpg

BD #1 (the fastest growing one of them all. loads of roots and leaf surface)

BD_1_resize.jpg

BD # 2 (the slowest growing lady. She has the same number of nodes but she is not as tall or wide as the rest)

BD_2_resize.jpg

If you are reading this, thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a good stay and learn a bit from my mistakes.

I must thank Cajuncelt and Light's Addict for their good vibes, strength and knowledge they gave me to start this all over again. KUDOS

:Namaste:

Hell yes. Up n going.
Just popped my frijoles tonight bro. Dual grow... Let's do it!
I won't bug you, but I'll chime in if I see a road block coming or a deficiency is about to greet you.
Glad you're back.

All caught up now bro.
Don't forget, even though they're dimmable, you're not getting the full spectrum That's down on the box. I hope you crank that ballast up to 100% & just raise it if needed.
I hope my gals sprout good too. I'm not a fan of seedlings. I like when they're about 3 weeks.

I know how you feel man, we just want them ready to get our full dose of love. ahah

Anyways, I can't just go full power on them right away. I'll be lowering the light more to get the most out of it for now.
Once they get a viable root system sank into the water I'll charge them with the divine light!

I'm up for that duo-grow mate. I'll keep it simple over here. Afterall this is still part of my first growing experience. Can't wait for them to be 3 weeks in!

28th: During the day temperatures over the canopy were a little high 28ºC (82F), so I raised the light a little higher, but not too much. By night time the temperatures were back to 25ºC(77) at the canopy so I figured I could get the light closer. I now have set the oscilattory fan slightly over the canopy level, making all of them shake a bit (it strengthens the main stem) and blowing the hot air away from them.

I noticed 1 or 2 small root tips popping out of SLH#1 and BD#1 so I thought about experimenting applying the drip feed more frequently now - 15 minutes every 4 hours (total 6 feeds a day, up from 4) - I believe it's enough time for the medium to dry and stimulate root expansion without having them "starving" for water more than needed. I have put the dripping sticks a little farther away from the rockwool so I wet the hydroton more than the rockwool, thus pointing the ladies the direction for them to crawl towards. If I see signs of overwatering (droopiness) I'll go back to the 4 times/day feed. On the 31st I hope to have them all with their roots popping out of the netpot and will follow to raise the water level, and get those air pumps going.

Subbed and looking GOOD! I just purchased seeds last week and in my purchase I have lemon haze and blue dream! So they will be coming up soon in my journal as well. I look forward to seeing them grow in yours!

Is your fan blowing on your seedlings? I noticed you had to have supports on some of them. If you let a fan blow on them it will keep the stems strong and you wont ever need supports. Also keeping your light lowered when they first sprout so they dont stretch is good as well!!

Good luck we are here if you need any help!

Subscribed Groovy Bud, when I hear that someone is running HIDs I fly over. Sorry to hear about your first grow getting trashed (All good karma to you). I plan on growing in full Rockwool top feed, very forgiving. HunterNitro is going to need more space when he goes "Capn style". Reading your intro and showing the knowledge you already have your going to rock it. I'll be here learning, thank you for starting a journal.
Also when you mentioned that you are learning about the healing powers of MMJ, the man to give you a lot (and I mean a lot of good info) is Cajun, which you already have subbed here, pick his brain on MMJ the guy has been there, done that.!!!

Thanks HunterNitro and RSOiler for stepping by!

I'll be posting new pictures later today. Good thing is that I have already seen some benefits of a more frequent drip. I have root taps coming from all netpots except SLH #2. I'll give it some more hours and then fill the reservoirs all the way up until those roots are submerged. I'm thinking of pushing the nutrients up a bit more.

My local grow shop has given me some General Hydroponics Feeding schedule for Flora Series (Flora Micro, Gro, and Bloom) but I noticed that there is different version of schedules on their american website. I now wonder, which one of them guidelines are more viable?...

In the oldest/european schedule, for week 2 I have the same recommended strength as for the week 1, which I am at currently. (2,5 ml of each MICRO GRO AND BLOOM per each 10 Liters) Fertilizers and hydroponic systems by Terra Aquatica

On the american feeding chart, the second recommendation goes for "early growth" and has a bigger MICRO and GRO racio (5 ml of Micro, 10ml of Gro and 2,5 ml of Bloom for every GALLON (3.78 LITERS)) General Hydroponics – Grow indoor. Grow outdoor. Grow with us.

These are very different schedules and thus I'm afraid of which one to follow. The second chart seems more right with its different proportions for vegetation, but the ammounts seem ridiculously high coming from what I'm applying at the moment. Following the european schedule won't give me any reliable information aswel since it tells me to keep using the same proportions of each bottle, which I believe is not right for vegetation (I should be using the GRO more)

HunterNitro, I have already put the oscilattory fan higher to it causes the stems to shake and build a stronger structure, you will see be able to check it for yourself later today!

What I found about the last question I brought up, from GHE's FAQs.

Are the American and European formulas for the Flora Series the same? If yes, why are the NPK values different?
"The Flora Series formulas are the same in the USA and Europe. The difference in NPK values is the result of a difference between American and European legislation."

Why don't you have the same application charts as General Hydroponics (US)?
"This is because, culturally, North American growers work with a higher EC."

I loved that one last answer. I guess I'll be rolling US style instead ahah. I'll follow the American shart, although always introducing the plants to a progressive concentration (starting of with 50%)

Incoming pictures in a couple of hours.

29th: Tap roots coming from every pot. Raised water level to hit the net pot's bottom and turned on air pumps (2 airstones per totem). It took me 25 Liters to get it to the point. Note to self: Don't use too tall reservoirs, I will have to raise the water levels too much and waste a lot of water and nutrients. (I dropped some water bottles to raise water level without having to actually add even more water.

I upped the nutrient solution only on MICRO and GROW. I doubled de Grow concentration (now 5ml/10L concentration), and raised the MICRO to (4 ml/10 L, up from 2,5). I kept BLOOM at 2,5 ml/10L concentration.

BLUE DREAM RESERVOIR TOTAL E.C = 0.73 (coming from 0.54)
SUPER LEMON HAZE RESERVOIR TOTAL E.C = 0,76 (up from 0.56)
((using 0.15 tap water))

Photo Update:

BD #1

BD_1_29_05_resize.jpg

BD #2 (slowest growing one)

BD_2_29_05_resize.jpg

SLH #1

SLH_1_resize_29_05.jpg

SLH #2

SLH_2_resize_29_05.jpg

The Room:

room_29_05_resize.jpg

Lets hope the ladies can handle the new stuff!

Thanks for stopping by

Nice update Groovy Bud. Looking great.

Subbed Groovy!!! Everything is looking awesome, I always love be finding recently started Hydro grows... I'm always impressed with the growth in Hydro systems!!

Great start, keep it up my friend :thumb:

@ Dutty Panty, yeah I'm starting to think that as well. There's no way I could have a 0.7-0.9 E.C for now using the US recommendations. Maybe using destiled water it would work. I'll be using the American Logic but on lower concentrations. There's no point in using the same Micro/gro/bloom racio during vegetation (as the EU charts recommend) but, on the other hand, there is also no way I'm using US' extremely high recommended dosages. It would burn my gals.

From yesterday to today (29th to 30th) I didn't see much new growth, but they are not droopy nor showing signs of nute burn. The pH fluctuated a bit but when fresh water is added, it needs a day or two until I can get stabilized pH. I'll let those roots get used to being submerged.

I'm hoping that they start bursting any time now.

Today I tested the tent for light leaks. I noticed 2 minor holes and the passive out-take vent (where the extraction fan and carbon filter will adapt) are leaking light. I can close the holes but I cannot close the vent. In the future I can impossibilitate the light coming from the window, but not right now. QUESTION: DO MINOR LIGHT LEAKS INTERFERE WITH THE PHOTOPERIOD DURING VEGETATION?

I understand that it can be a problem during flowering because it disrupts the dark period, but I don't know if this happens during vegetation (18/6 schedule).

The EC on the buckets raised slightly to 0.8 but they are not showing any signs of over-feeding. I must take into consideration that I keep adding pH down daily, and it can partially justify this raise in E.C.

Photo Update.
I won't be able to post any photo updates until Thursday or Friday. They seem to be loving the nutrients. I'm wondering about adding a tad more of nutrients but maybe it is just me trying to do something to speed this up, but in the end, it might not be the best. I'll check them tomorrow morning and see if they can go with it.
Dropped iced bottles again, as the light is too low, it heats the reservoir's water (not too much).

BD # 1
BD_1_30_05_resize.jpg

BD # 2 (I think she is genetically weak. She shows some random light green spots in some of her leaves)
BD_2_30_05_resize.jpg

SLH # 1
SLH_1_30_05_resize.jpg

SLH # 2 (removed the stem support, she is strong now)
SLH_2_30_05_resize.jpg

The Room (this way you can see the height differences of them all and compare. Clearly BD #2 is shorter)
Room_30_05_resize.jpg

I'm slightly sad because of them light leaks and because of BD #2 showing herself weaker, when under the same circumstances as the others. But I will love her the same
I wish you all the best,

Back
Top Bottom