Group Rallies For Medical Marijuana Bill In Alabama

Jacob Redmond

Beverly Davis is longing for medical marijuana to be legalized in Alabama.

She is hoping marijuana-derived CBD oil will put an end to the epileptic seizures she developed 11 years ago. The seizures, which occur four to five times a week, required her to retire early and stop driving.

"(Epilepsy) has changed my life dramatically," Davis, of Decatur, said. She is often scared to leave her home for fear of having a seizure.

About two dozen supporters of medical marijuana - members of Medical Cannabis Advocates of Alabama -- gathered on the front steps of the Alabama State Capitol Tuesday afternoon to bring attention to the medical benefits of cannabis.

Organizer Faye Medlock, who has epilepsy, said her group has a bill drafted to legalize medical marijuana for people with certain medical conditions. She is seeking a legislator to sponsor it.

"This is for patients," she said, of the rally. "We have lost so many people in our cannabis groups that have died from illnesses that cannabis could have cured."

AL.com has requested a copy of the Medical Cannabis Advocates of Alabama's proposed bill but has yet to receive it.

In a statement to AL.com regarding possible medical marijuana legislation this year, Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard said "We don't foresee legislation being a priority."

State Rep. Mike Ball (R-Madison), who co-sponsored Carly's Law, said he has seen the bill, but thinks it needs work before it could pass in the Alabama legislature.

"There are some good things, some merit in it," he said in a phone interview with AL.com. "I think they have a good uphill climb before it could pass the Alabama legislature. I know how difficult Carly's law was."

When asked if medical marijuana could be legalized in Alabama in the foreseeable future, Ball said: "I think a study like Carly's Law and the more people look at it, I believe they will find some medical benefit in (marijuana), but it is important that a way is found to get it to people who really need it for medical purposes without it turning into a three-ring circle."

Carly's Law, sponsored by Ball and Sen. Paul Sanford, passed last year. The law will make CBD, which can help control the seizures, available through a new program administered by the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

See related: Alabama House passes Carly's Law, approves $1 million medical study on marijuana-derived oil

That program has yet to start.

Medlock said studies are out there that show cannabis usage can alleviate pain and cure disease. Cannabis is non-toxic and can be more effective than prescription drugs, she said.

According to NORML, an advocacy organization for legalizing marijuana, marijuana can have medicinal benefits for pain relief - especially nerve damage - nausea, spasticity, glaucoma and movement disorders. Marijuana is an appetite stimulant, specifically for patients suffering from HIV or dementia.

New research suggests marijuana's medicinal properties may protect the body against some types of malignant tumors and are neuroprotective, according to the organization.

James Meissner, of Mobile, founded One Plant after a measure to legalize medical marijuana in Florida failed to pass in November.

"One thing we are lack in the state is unity," he said.

Meissner said he is tired of watching people suffer and die when marijuana could cure them or ease their pain.

Beside its medicinal uses, he said legislators should look at the impact legalizing marijuana had on Colorado's economy. Legalization has created jobs and put more money in state coffers.

31622.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Group rallies for medical marijuana bill in Alabama | AL.com
Author: Erin Edgemon
Photo Credit: Erin Edgemon
Website: Alabama Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - al.com

Back
Top Bottom