Grow #2: Adventures Into Better Genetics, A Nirvana Love Story

JamesOaceO

1/1/2019

Happy New Year!!!!!

Hey all :ganjamon:

It's a new year and new adventures! How about you? What are YOU going to do and accomplish in 2019?

Currently I am in my third week of flower on my first grow. You can check it out in my links in my signature. This next grow I will be growing in 7 gal. fabric pots using FFHF soil in conjunction with GH FLoraNova Series (Grow and Bloom), GH LiquidKool Bloom, and Cal/Mag nutrients, and Great White powder for roots. I will be using a 400w HPS for vegging in a 3'x2'x4.5' that has a second chamber that is 1'x2'x4.5' area for cloning and flowering in a 4'x4'x6' with a 1500w LED.

This is my second official grow start (trying a perpetual grow!) and I couldn't be more excited to announce that I will be growing feminized Maui Wowie and Chem Dawg from MMJ Lab Genetics out of Colorado ( 3 days shipping) and an auto flowering White Widow from Nirvana Seeds out of the Netherlands (about 21 days shipping because of holidays I'm assuming). This is the 3D printed case and holder the seed vials came in. It was personalized (!) with my surname on top with "Genetics" after it, the side says "Happy New Years 2019" with some fireworks, and other side reads "MMJ Lab Grade Genetics". They even threw in a reg seed of Nukedaddy, a cross between Nukehead and the infamous Grand Daddy Purple.

IMG_20190101_084221857.jpg

The Nirvana seeds packaging was cool, too.
IMG_20181228_191314408.jpgIMG_20190101_084301754.jpg

Since this is my first real grow from seed (once grew some bag seed without any knowledge and it pollinated) so, taking the advice of Nukeheads, following this regimen:
  • Scarify the seeds
  • Place seeds in dry dark, cool place for 24 hours
  • Place seeds in water in dark, cool place for 24 hours
  • Place seeds in soil or growing medium such as rock wool (what I will be doing then transplanting - WW, not sure yet if right to soil or not)
  • Place in dark, 75 degree F clone dome for 2 days. If not going after 2 days then wait 5 more days.
Last night I scarified 1x Maui Wowie, 1x Chem Dog, and 1x (auto) White Widow seeds and placed them into individual small containers, into a second container that is light tight, and into the fridge. Tonight they go into water.

I plan to try a manifold on the Chem Dawg. The WW I'm not sure if I should start in rock wool or the end pot of soil.

My Questions:
Do you think the Nukehead advice is good for germination? Would you do it?
Would you place the WW seed, since it is a auto, into rock wool to grow then transplant or take the seed to soil?
What suggestions or questions do you have?

My hope is to learn as much as I can while also sharing my own experience with others. I really enjoy this and look forward to the grows ahead!
:peace:

You shouldn't have to scarify the seeds if they are fresh, I've always started autos in their final pot. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to start in a plug and plant that to a pot.

You shouldn't have to scarify the seeds if they are fresh
I'm not sure if they are 'fresh' but those are the instructions right from the seed source.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to start in a plug
I was thinking of doing the cube since I can dial in the temp and darkness better than having it in the final pot at as a seed.

An auto can handle one up potting, but I would suggest a small pot instead of rockwool
Would a solo cup be a good starting size? I've never grown an auto before but I read they grow wicked fast.

I'd be using FFHF soil straight from the bag, no mixers, if not using rock wool .....would this run too hot for a seedling? I know I need to soak the rock wool in some pH'd water before using to balance it out a little if I go that route. I will be doing rock wool for the MW and the CD.

I would use a slightly bigger container like (sry litres here) 1 litre pot.
Some growers have no problems with Ff soil, but I would suggest you mix in more than half of perlite in it, just to be safe

Not that it matters but I have sprouted many a seed from Nirvana. I have always soaked them for 24 hours, put them between wet paper towels until i have a tap root then into the medium which in my case was coco.

I am growing the photoperiod white widow from Nirvana now.

1/2/2019
Hey all :ganjamon:

Seeds stayed in the dark for 24 hours then into water in the dark for another 24 hours. Tonight all the seeds had sunk. Placed each one in a quartered 1.5" rock wool cube hunk after it had been soaked in 5.5 pH water and shook/air dried slightly before placing a seed gently just deep enough inside each pre-poked hole. I marked tooth picks to keep track of which one is which at this stage. Into the propagation dome that stays between 74-76 F at 99% humidity in complete darkness. I will peek in on it in 2 days time and give an update then. Until then, stay happy! :peace:
IMG_20190102_192309316[1].jpg

I'd be using FFHF soil straight from the bag, no mixers, if not using rock wool .....would this run too hot for a seedling? I know I need to soak the rock wool in some pH'd water before using to balance it out a little if I go that route. I will be doing rock wool for the MW and the CD.

I only use Happy Frog and haven’t had an issue with it being too hot for sprouts or seedlings. Mix 3:1with perlite. Start very mild nutes after 3 weeks. I use a 1/2 lowest dose of bloom nite for the first feeding. (It’s totally my psycho thing...believing less apt to burn).

My vote is to plant in the final pot. It’s a pita to carefully water AROUND the perimeter of a tiny seedling in a big pot but the roots will grow undisturbed.

There is a way to start the seed in an xl foam cup.

Once ready to up pot to final home take your pot and premoisened soil (having used plain ph’d water) and an identical foam cup. Make an impression of the cup in the soil.

Now cut around the bottom of the cup with the seedling then slit up opposite sides almost to the top of the cup while still holding it together. Place it into the impression

1/5/2019
Hey all
:ganjamon:

The WW Auto has a tap root 1/4 inch through the bottom of the cube already and the seedling popped up above "ground". Nothing from the other two although I can see something happening with the Maui Wowie although not "up" yet. I took the WW and put it in a 5 gal fabric pot with FFHF soil with a light watering around the seedling. Placed it with the other small clones and garden plants under the 75w LED for now. Waiting to see the cotyledon unfold fully once the seed lets go. I may start 1 of each of the other two in paper towel and see how they fare. I'll wait another couple days and make the determination.

1/8/2019

Hey all:ganjamon:

The WW (pic right) and Chem Dawg (left) are going strong. The first Maui Wowie see did not pop and already have another in paper towel with a healthy tap root emerging. More to come. :peace:
IMG_20190107_174948858.jpg

Got home today and the Chem Dawg seedling was bent all the way over. Just going to leave it be but move it to a cooler, less bright spot. Maybe too hot under the light? I'm in the smaller veg tent with the 400w HPS and did not have good enough ventilation it appears. Temp was pushing above 80 f at some point today while away from the grow. The maui wowie #1 seed still hasnt popped but has some fuzzies on it. The MW #2 seed with the tap root was placed in rockwool this am and is opening up the cotyledon as we speak in the clone dome.

I'm trying to figure out when the proper point to place a seedling under light is. When the coty is fully open? Half way? It is completely dark in the clone dome. I know the 400 is likely too strong, even at 2.5/3 feet away, so i can use a 75w LED instead. I've read different theories regarding what is best. What has worked for you?

I put them under leds as soon as they pop to the surface. Just need to control heat.
Would you continue to keep them under a dome for humidity? At what point would you bring them to fresh air? Thanks for your help, Pennywise.

Came home tonight and the Chem Dawg seedling was no more. Obviously too much heat, which I got control of finally. Going to pop another CD. MW #2 is up and going but we'll see.

Tested the LED output, getting around 1000 lux where I would normally place seedlings and the MH light reaching where I have them now in the veg tent is slightly under that same reading. It just works better for my setup right now to run the MH alone since my other plants in veg need the coverage. I think because I had kept it in the dome too long once sprouted it stretched really far and then it was under 80+ degree heat for the whole frikkin' day (damn adulting responsibilities!) and my heat controller is working the propagation station right now.....(excuses, I know!).... it just killed poor CD. Dropped CD #2 tonight. These seeds seem awfully small, too, but, I am NOT going to blame anyone but myself at this point. It is a learning experience for sure.

So far, I have WW #1 auto seedling with first set of true leaves about 1/2 inch long, MW #2 seedling that just popped and is showing its cotyledon, and CD #2 is in the propagation dome using the good ol' paper towel trick.

Back
Top Bottom