Grow #2: Outdoor/CFL Auto 420 Blueberry & AK-47 Smart Pots With Dr Earth Soil

Nice!!! They'll love it, and so will you!!! And I seriously mean, this shit doesn't burn! I gave my little autos 1oz/.5gal and my big girls are up to 8oz per watering

That's a heck of a lot! You need to buy that by the barrel.

Looking very good...that Big Bloom in small amounts will not hurt seedlings. I have given to my dedoverde 2x already and it's at day 20.

Thanks nobody! Day 20? Seems like just yesterday you were deciding whether to sprout that or not :)

I went light as a first timer and mixed 1/2 tablespoon/gallon and gave them each 8 ounces in the middle to get the tap root securely headed south. Probably a good thing I did because we're starting a 3 day heat wave. The pots felt heavy when I took them out of the shed this morning so I'm going to wait until they lighten up a bit before watering again, but when I do I'll go heavier on the Big Bloom.

Tuesday and the temperature's a rising.

Here are today's photos shot by the dawn's early light. AK 4 is the clear front runner in this three-way race!

Blueberry 3 day 7:

20170829_081815.jpg

AK-47 4 day 6:

20170829_081847.jpg

20170829_081905.jpg

AK-47 5 day 6:

20170829_081925.jpg

No water this morning. I want them to dry out a bit in the heat and make the roots look for water wherever it may be in the soil.

Ready to see the whole process this time, I was late to the last one! How do you like the dr earth soil? I use their dry ferts for making teas but have never used the soil. I always use either roots or ffof.

Seems fine to me. I know it's not popular among growers (compared to FFOF) but it has a lot of good stuff in it and it's available at Home Depot so I don't have to start hunting around for places that carry the FFOF. I do add a lot of Perlite to it, which this time I rinsed it for some reason. I would read journals that said they used rinsed Perlite and without even looking it up or anything I just rinsed my next batch before I added it to the soil. Keeps the dust down? Sure but I have no idea if that's the reason!

Seems fine to me. I know it's not popular among growers (compared to FFOF) but it has a lot of good stuff in it and it's available at Home Depot so I don't have to start hunting around for places that carry the FFOF. I do add a lot of Perlite to it, which this time I rinsed it for some reason. I would read journals that said they used rinsed Perlite and without even looking it up or anything I just rinsed my next batch before I added it to the soil. Keeps the dust down? Sure but I have no idea if that's the reason!

I've heard it's because perlite has a pretty good dose of fluoride in it. So rinsing it helps get rid of some of it. I've never done it tho but I don't add much to my soil anyway. Yea that's why I asked it's at Home Depot and would be way more convenient. Maybe I'll give it a shot and do a side by side. Does it not drain well? Is that the reason for so much perlite?

I've heard it's because perlite has a pretty good dose of fluoride in it. So rinsing it helps get rid of some of it. I've never done it tho but I don't add much to my soil anyway. Yea that's why I asked it's at Home Depot and would be way more convenient. Maybe I'll give it a shot and do a side by side. Does it not drain well? Is that the reason for so much perlite?

I can use the rinse water on my teeth when they're sensitive then. A heck of a lot cheaper than Colgate Phos-Flur!

I don't think any soil drains well enough on its own. Unless it comes with 50% Perlite out of the bag (and then you're waaaaay overpaying for the soil!) I would add it. I want my medium to dry out slower than coco but faster than straight soil. I'm probably getting close to 50/50 now.

Wednesday quickie update. First off I'd like to ignore the 24 hour difference in the planting times of these sprouts so I don't have to list them separately. Going forward I'm pretending that they all were planted on 8/23 (day 235 of the year).

That said, here's the update for day 7 ;)

I bumped up the BigBloom a bit today to 1 tablespoon/gallon and also added 1 ml cal/mag+. Each plant got 16 ounces of water in a ring about 4 inches from the sprout. The sun hits the plants around 8:10 am, and temps should be in the low 80s today.

Pics tomorrow!

I can use the rinse water on my teeth when they're sensitive then. A heck of a lot cheaper than Colgate Phos-Flur!

I don't think any soil drains well enough on its own. Unless it comes with 50% Perlite out of the bag (and then you're waaaaay overpaying for the soil!) I would add it. I want my medium to dry out slower than coco but faster than straight soil. I'm probably getting close to 50/50 now.
That's why I add a 50/50 coco perlite mix to all of my soils

Here's the Thursday update, day 8. Going to be hot and muggy today, not a scorcher, but in the upper 80s for a while this afternoon. Everyone got 3-2/3 cups of water this morning (not scientifically determined, it's what I had left in the gallon bottle!) which was the 1 tbs BigBloom and 1 ml cal/mag+. 2 cups was in a ring out from the peat and 1-2/3 cups was directly around the peat. The delicate dance between drowning and promoting root growth.

Once they get a bit taller I will raise the soil level and start LST!

Blueberry 3:

20170831_080914.jpg

AK 4:

20170831_081026.jpg

AK 5:

20170831_081032cr.jpg

Happy Friday all. Hope your Labor Day plans are shaping up well (if you're in the states)!

Well...we had a thunderstorm her in SoCal last night with humidity that was ridiculous! I had to call my kid and tell him to put boxes over the babies to keep them from being crushed by the enormous raindrops! He obliged because he cares about my hobby (and because he turned into a bit of a stoner this summer!). So no harm done.

Day 9. No water this morning as the bottoms of the smart pots felt wet. AK 4 is really outpacing the others as you will see in the pics below. The other two are doing fine but look like weaklings by comparison. Always try not to compare your children!

Blueberry 3. I've looked at those spots on the first set of true leaves with a loupe and didn't see any bugs, so I'm not going to worry about that yet. I did buy Neem oil for this grow and will be using it straight up to flower as a preventative. When do I start spraying?

20170901_074914.jpg

20170901_075107.jpg

AK 4 flexing those muscles!

20170901_074946.jpg

20170901_075058.jpg

And AK 5

20170901_075021.jpg

20170901_075047.jpg

Day 12 and hope you all had a happy Labor Day/Monday depending on where you are!

Heat wave finally broke today, clouds came in and it's down in the mid 70s now at 9:30pm. Much much better!

Everyone got water yesterday morning, the rest of the gallon from Saturday so around 12 oz each just to keep them wet. Some of the early leaves are looking a bit light so I'm going to start nutes Tuesday morning, which means GrowBig at 1/2 tsp/gal on top of the BigBloom and cal/mag+.

I started LST on AK 4 because she is growing like a weed and looked ready. I gently pulled her over this morning and when I got home from the Labor Day party she was pointing up toward the sun again, so she's ready for more. The other two are much less aggressive growers so their time will come later.

I haven't sprayed any Neem oil yet as I wanted to wait for the heat to break, so probably on Wednesday morning.

Blueberry 3:

20170904_093225.jpg

AK 4:

20170904_093240.jpg

AK 5:

20170904_093345.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this is? It's on my pineapple leaves:

20170904_094347cr.jpg

Day 12 and hope you all had a happy Labor Day/Monday depending on where you are!

Heat wave finally broke today, clouds came in and it's down in the mid 70s now at 9:30pm. Much much better!

Everyone got water yesterday morning, the rest of the gallon from Saturday so around 12 oz each just to keep them wet. Some of the early leaves are looking a bit light so I'm going to start nutes Tuesday morning, which means GrowBig at 1/2 tsp/gal on top of the BigBloom and cal/mag+.

I started LST on AK 4 because she is growing like a weed and looked ready. I gently pulled her over this morning and when I got home from the Labor Day party she was pointing up toward the sun again, so she's ready for more. The other two are much less aggressive growers so their time will come later.

I haven't sprayed any Neem oil yet as I wanted to wait for the heat to break, so probably on Wednesday morning.

Blueberry 3:

20170904_093225.jpg

AK 4:

20170904_093240.jpg

AK 5:

20170904_093345.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this is? It's on my pineapple leaves:

20170904_094347cr.jpg

Once I found similar looking stuff under a curled up gerber daisy leaf. I dug it ou with a stick and discovered what looked to be a half developed butterfly. But I'd never seen one cacoon that way. Another time in a geranium leaf, (curled inward) I dug it out with a stick, and looked like it could have been 100 little eggs (spider I'm assuming) came falling out. They looked like time released fert pellets. Dude if I hadn't clicked on the link in your post....the highlighted / bolded word, I'd never have made it to your second grow journal. Wtf. Still. O notifications. Now it's got me wanting to drop just 2 seeds into some water. I remember now we were only 8 days apart on our plants. Think I'm gonna do it bro. I only had five, just chunked the 2 the other night in a panic. But I spent the next day making a little oasis, night time smoke area for me and the misses. :thumb: I was kinda wanting to wait till cooler and keep them in tent the whole time this go round!!!! Hmmmmm!! Decisions decisions. If I wait that long it'd be feb/ mar before I'd be smoking. Gasp!!

Back
Top Bottom