Grow #2

Mind if I pull up a chair

The post above from @Emilya is really interesting I also grow in Promix and always thought the correct ph was in the 6.2-6.3 range and that's what I have done for my last grow and my current one. I run advanced nutrients and after I add my nutrients my ph is 5.8 Im excited about the possibility of not having to add any ph up any more if im understanding correctly. Is there any harm in changing this mid grow?

Didn't want to ask a question about my grow in your journal twnewell but this is a very interesting read

No problem at all my friend. Like @Emilya was saying, if your ph comes out in the end to be 5.8 you can absolutely not raise the ph. The only difference will be in the nutrient uptake. I run mine constantly at 5.7-5.8 and have never had a ph problem. Like i said earlier i will be going a bit lower and higher to make sure my plants can absorb all the nutrients that are in my growing medium.

Watered / feed this morning. These pots seam wonderful. Takes about 1.5L of water to fully saturate 5L of promix with a fair amount of runoff. Still feeding at 2 grams/ 4L of water with 4ml of cal mag added. Cal/ mag then nutrients then ph’ed to 5.6.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    574.7 KB · Views: 40
Hey @twnewell, looking very healthy in there. Seems like they loved the feeding :woohoo:

looks good I tried lst for the first time on my last grow. I think you will be happy with the results. I read a thread by @InTheShed and it was really helpful on showing what to do. I topped first then when they were a little bigger I tied the main tops lower then the other branches and it made the middle and bottom stuff equal with the main tops creating multiple main tops

looks good I tried lst for the first time on my last grow. I think you will be happy with the results. I read a thread by @InTheShed and it was really helpful on showing what to do. I topped first then when they were a little bigger I tied the main tops lower then the other branches and it made the middle and bottom stuff equal with the main tops creating multiple main tops
Thanks N! For anyone looking for the LST thread, it's here as well as in my signature. The best LST is about getting the plant to move the growth hormones from the apical growth to the lower growth, and that's done by keeping the top growth physically lower than the lower growth.

I also noticed an earlier discussion here about pH'ing nutrients in ProMix HP. Completely unnecessary according to the manufacturer of ProMix no matter what else you have heard. Knowledge is power (to put away the pH pen, unless you feel the need to slurry test your soil...that's an actual thing).

Not at all. Feel free to modify the pH of your nute solution if you like, but it makes no difference to the plant in ProMix at all. I just finished a pair of Candidas and didn't pH at any point in the grow. The water in was probably in the 7-7.4 range and the plants showed no signs of difficulty. Just like the manufacturer states. I'm not making this up. This is the science.

Thanks N! For anyone looking for the LST thread, it's here as well as in my signature. The best LST is about getting the plant to move the growth hormones from the apical growth to the lower growth, and that's done by keeping the top growth physically lower than the lower growth.

I also noticed an earlier discussion here about pH'ing nutrients in ProMix HP. Completely unnecessary according to the manufacturer of ProMix no matter what else you have heard. Knowledge is power (to put away the pH pen, unless you feel the need to slurry test your soil...that's an actual thing).

Thank you sir for posting the link to your thread. I'm going to give this a try, in my own messed up way, and will take notes the whole way.

In regards to the ph-ing of nutrients I believe that your right. This much science and your expert opinion leaves no doubt that your correct. That said, I'm still going to ph my water and nutes. This is my second grow, and i want to take what I've learnt from the last one and apply it to this one. I like to make sure I have a firm grasp on things before i start experimenting on new things. Once i have multiple grows in I'll try the no ph thing, just want to make sure i know all my variables im working with now are not just a fluke, and I have a firm grasp on all aspects of what im doing.

Again my sincere thanks for coming to my post and posting this information, and please do comment and follow along if you wish to do so.

There's no problem with pH'ing your nutes, it's just not needed. Won't do any harm though.

And just to clear up any misunderstanding, it wasn't my expert opinion. There was no opinion involved. This is the plant/soil science directly from the manufacturer of ProMix.

All I meant was that you have a lot more grows, and have been doing this for much longer than I have and I appreciate you sharing your knowledge as well as the science behind what you are saying.

I have become a member of #NoFlushClub all the same though

Let me explain how low stress training works on photos or autos, from my LST thread:

"Cannabis plants grow up to the sun. They have a top (apical) cola and side branching. Most of the growth hormones (auxins) go to that apical cola, which is why an untrained plant often has a beautiful huge bud on top and then progressively smaller buds as you head toward the soil. Topping a plant tells the plant that there is no longer an apical cola (damage alert!!!) so it needs to send the auxins to other branches to assure its chances to pass on its genetics. You then end up with two tops from that one.

"LST is a method for tricking the plant into thinking it no longer has an apical cola without actually removing it. The method involves pulling the top down flat so that it's not higher than the rest of the plant. The plant still thinks it's lost its apical cola and begins to send the growth hormones to the rest of the branches, but there is no recovery time as there is with topping because nothing has been cut.

"As each of the lower branches grows in response, it gets tied down toward the outside of the pot, allowing light and air to get to the rest of the plant, and forcing the plant to continue to evenly spread the auxins."

The full how-to is here.

Back
Top Bottom