Grow box construction - Multi Stage Version (Based on 's Upright version)

TrickDaddy

Grow box construction - Multi Stage Version (Based on stratlogic 's Upright version)

I have to say you inspired me to commence with my similar box as I mentioned earlier in this thread. I just got back from the Sayal Surplus, Lumber Mart & Home Depot.

Purchases to date:

Sayal Surplus: pkg. (4) 4" Casters (2 with locks) $20

Lubmer Mart: 1 bundle 9 pcs. (8'x2"x2") $25
1 bag 2 1/2" wood screw $5

Home Depot: 1 - 4' X 8' (5/8) Sheet Med. Dens. Particle Board (cut to size) $21

1 Tube Caulking/Sealant $6

Step 1 - Front and Rear Framing

To be continued with photos asap (I got started but certain things like a more powerful drill and a saw that would actually cut straight became issues so I decided to take a break for tonight!)

Indeed, I must say that my drill was definitely the tool I used the most and couldn't imagine building without it. A good saw never hurt either. haha.

I'm glad to see you started a thread for your box. Are the CAD looking pics you posted the plans you drew up yourself that you are shooting for? Looks pretty cool. Can't wait till you start building. How long have you been planning this box. Judging from the CAD pic, it looks like you put some serious thought into your design. Very nice!

Indeed, I must say that my drill was definitely the tool I used the most and couldn't imagine building without it. A good saw never hurt either. haha.

I'm glad to see you started a thread for your box. Are the CAD looking pics you posted the plans you drew up yourself that you are shooting for? Looks pretty cool. Can't wait till you start building. How long have you been planning this box. Judging from the CAD pic, it looks like you put some serious thought into your design. Very nice!

No those are all examples I found from various User Groups just to provide some ideas for modification!

Yeah the drill I have i a small rechargeable without much power. It barely put 2 - 2 1/2 screws into the framing and I didn't have the kind of torque require to ram the wood screw right in tight. I'm gonna have to drill small holes first then the wood screws. Probably not a bad Idea anyways if my early high-school wood shop days serve me correctly! lol But hey I was more of a mechanic or electrician myself. Also the saw and Miter box I have where no good as I couldn't get a straight 2x2 cut to save my life.

That why I called it quits last night!

I just returned from days shopping. Got a Miter box and saw kit form Wally's and some B&W Poly sheeting and a couple other goodies for the boxes later stages!

I'll post pics of Phase 1 later tonight. You'll see some similarities right off the bat! But also some slight modifications that I'll explain as I go.

Cheers

If I may recommend pre-drilling all the holes before you drill in the screws. I use a drill bit slightly smaller than the screw. This not only makes inserting the screws much easier on you and your drill, but it also prevents the wood from splitting, a problem you will encounter particularly when drilling the 2"x2" pieces of wood. Happy building!

Yeah I figured that out by the second hole! lol

Anyway here is what we have so far:

FrontBackFramePre.jpg

1) Back Frame Pre-Assembly

FrontBackFrame.jpg

2) Back Frame assembled with 2.5 inch wood screws

FrontFrameFinished.jpg

3) Front Frame assembled

SidePanelCovered.jpg

4) Side Panel Covered (2) @ 28" x 40" Inches - Top Panel (1) @ 28 x 48"

PanelCoveringClose.jpg

5) Panel closeup Poly B&W sheeting (Left a little overlap top cover corners inside case)

BottomCasters.jpg

6) Bottom Base with 4" Caters

BottomFrontCasterLockClose.jpg

7) Front Casters (close up) with locking mechanism

Well not bad for a Saturday Afternoon's work! I'd say that is Phase 1 completed!

More to Come...

I love these threads on construction! great job!
A little tip about screws. . . Instead of using traditional wood screw, it may be easier on your drill, and much faster to pick up "Course Thread Drywall Screws". You'll get a lot more bite, with less tourqe required. Just a little tip from a roofer who happen's to do a lot of wood work. .

Bagz :peace:

I love these threads on construction! great job!
A little tip about screws. . . Instead of using traditional wood screw, it may be easier on your drill, and much faster to pick up "Course Thread Drywall Screws". You'll get a lot more bite, with less tourqe required. Just a little tip from a roofer who happen's to do a lot of wood work. .

Bagz :peace:

I think they are real expensive but your right they do pack a good grip!

Thanks!!!

Nice tip Bagzgroove. I am going to have to try them out next time around because I have a bunch of those drywall screws cluttering my toolbox.

How's the box coming TrickDaddy?

I enjoyed reading your thread and am looking forward to seeing the rest of the build. I desire to grow inside this fall and winter and am exploring methods. My present grow is in the woods and am hoping it will produce enough to last the winter, but I don't want to take any chances. That is, any chances of running out!

Sorry everyone I got so involved building it I never kept this thread up to date. Also no offense to anyone here but its sort of a hassle to only be able to upload 5 images at a time and then wait sometime 48 hours to get them approved then to have to cut and paste the image url's one at a time into the thread. Sort of archaic but whatever! here is the next set of images. The box is now complete and i will update each stage accordingly!

I also though no one was longer interested!

I agree, it is a bit of a hassle. But what may be a hassle for you, is a gold mine of information for other grow enthusiast who are looking to do something similar but just don't know how to or where to start. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say thanks for taking the time to actually post all the pics. I can't wait to see the finished product. Once I move out of my current place, I plan on building something similar to your dual chamber box because it already looks promising.

I also though no one was longer interested!

I am VERY interested in your project. I have a 1500 sq. ft. work shop that I would like to build a box for. I know I could grow a bundle of pot in this shop, but only desire to grow for my personal needs. I do very much appreciate the time you take to share your plans and progress. Herb:bong:

BottomSidesSupports.jpg

Bottom with left and right frame supports.

SideFramesMounted.jpg

Bottom with front and back frames mounted.

SidePanelCovered.jpg

Side panel covered.

PanelCoveringClose.jpg

Panel Covering close up. I left some material overlapping to cover inside corners.

TopSideSupports.jpg

Top panel with side panel support.

TopCornerClose.jpg

Top panel support close up.

TopPanelMounted.jpg

Top panel mounted.

MiddlePanelx2.jpg

Middle panel corners cut.

MIddlePanelCoveredx2.jpg

Middle panel covered.

Guys gonna be delayed for a bit. I am having some major heat issues with the box in my storage closet! Can't get it under 95F !

Gonna have to take the box out of the closet (which is an endeavor in itself a nextime I will remember to measure the doorway of the closet first next time lol! )

It's gotta have something to do with the air circulation as I am only running 2 24" Reg. Fluorescent tubes and 2 24" T5 HO tubes in the left chamber and only 150W hps in the main area???????? I don't get it. I also have 3 fans in total. One one the left blowing air into the left box and then it passes through the middle section into the right box and gets sucked out by and inline duct fan (70cfm) I also have a 100cfm fan blowing across the 150W light to cool it to and circulate the air in the right box.
Any Ideas? I think possibly because i cant get the doors to seal the box totally a s the wood warped! I am thinking more along the line of getting some plastic or vinyl material and sewing velcro to it to drape over the front of the box and seal it up with the velcro? Anyone know of any such premade material. I know it it sold to cover pickup truck beds. So I am gonna phone a couple place to see if they can custom make the sizes I need for each doorway (2 left and right)

I am VERY interested in your project. I have a 1500 sq. ft. work shop that I would like to build a box for. I know I could grow a bundle of pot in this shop, but only desire to grow for my personal needs. I do very much appreciate the time you take to share your plans and progress. Herb:bong:

I love what you are doing, but just don't have the time/tools to make my own grow box. I went with one of these instead

(edit link)

Should be here Friday!!

I love what you are doing, but just don't have the time/tools to make my own grow box. I went with one of these instead

(link)

Should be here Friday!!
Sounds great! I would love to be able to order a grow box, but I'm poor. Presently I can only afford a 1/4 oz. a week - $25. I was making adirondack chairs and selling them, but my health has really slowed that income. I do have two plants growing in the woods which I hope will provide me with some much needed medication. I look forward to hearing your results with your new grow box. Herb:allgood:

Back
Top Bottom