Grow Cab Almost Complete. Advice. Lights, Pot Size Ect..

BioStub

OK, so I've got my grow cab almost complete and I'm looking for some advice before I go any further.

My cab is 28 1/2" W X 22" D X 42" H

Here's a pic of my hard work.
Cab1almost_done.jpg

I plan on growing 2 plants at a time. LST Scrog. I built an 8 cfl light fixture and cut holes in the bottom, light protected for passive air flow.

Materials I have so far.

FFOF (soil grow)
8 bulbs (2) 40 watt 6500 (2) 27 watt 5500 (4) 27 watt 2700
8 oz bottle super thrive
(2) 2 gal common round pots. Brown.
Temp/humidity Gauge
String, Nitril groves. (smoker)
Cab lined with mylar.
Timers.
Cir Fan for inside the box.

Now my questions.

1. Are 2 gal pot about right for this size box? For 2 plants?
2. I read somewhere don't plant seedlings directly into nute rich soil? T/F
3. Is the spectrum of lights I have a good way to go, or do I need more blue light for veg?
4. At what height should I place the scrog screen in a cab my size?
5. Do I need any other nutes with FFOF? Recommendations?
6. Can someone recommend quiet AC computer fans for draft? Do they have enough power to pull though 1" of carbon?
7. Please recommend any tools meters what have you, that I might need?

I think that's about all.. I love this site.. TIA BioStub.

Good start, and thought out. I don't do soil, so I'll only answer what I can.

3. - Looks good.
4. - the screen should be 8 to 12 inches from the top of the pot.
7. - you NEED to be able to measure pH, if you don't, you will be sorry.

Also your lights need to go lower, in SCROG you want the light as close as you can get it without burning. The screen helps you keep the plant at that hieght, so you don't have to move the lights as much.

Hope this helps,

Good start, and thought out. I don't do soil, so I'll only answer what I can.

3. - Looks good.
4. - the screen should be 8 to 12 inches from the top of the pot.
7. - you NEED to be able to measure pH, if you don't, you will be sorry.

Also your lights need to go lower, in SCROG you want the light as close as you can get it without burning. The screen helps you keep the plant at that hieght, so you don't have to move the lights as much.

Hope this helps,

Thanks for your comments Prairie.

I measured my pots and then 12 inches above, it would give me 12 inches of top growth to the light in the max up position. I hope thats enough space.

I haven't figured out yet how i'm going to hang the light. But I will be able to adjust it.

Ahhh yes. I guess I need a good PH meter. I am assuming I would test the waste water correct? So I need a PH kit for my water? Meaning I was going to just boil water to distill it. Will I still need to adjust it?

Anyone else want to jump in here? :=) Thanks again bro.

Thanks for your comments Prairie.

I measured my pots and then 12 inches above, it would give me 12 inches of top growth to the light in the max up position. I hope thats enough space.

I haven't figured out yet how i'm going to hang the light. But I will be able to adjust it.

Ahhh yes. I guess I need a good PH meter. I am assuming I would test the waste water correct? So I need a PH kit for my water? Meaning I was going to just boil water to distill it. Will I still need to adjust it?

Anyone else want to jump in here? :=) Thanks again bro.

On the SCROG screen you want it as close to the top of the pot as you can get your hand inside there to adjust and train the plant as it grows. The ideal is to get it growing horizontally on the screen, so it keeps all buds sights at the same plane of light. sometimes the screen are bowl shaped to maintain equal distance from the bulb at all points on the screen.

I think they say to measure pH in soil grows from the run off. On boiling the water (not actually distilling it, unless you are capturing the steam and using that), should work. Though I've never heard of anyone doing that. But anyway.. Depending on the nutrients you are using, adjusting the water may be needed, even with reverse osmosis distilled water.

Take a toke brother...
:roorrip:

:) Hey thanks for the reply Prairie.. I read some more and checked out your grow. You got a nice set up going. Your scrog looks good. Thanks for the advice on the screen height.

I ordered seeds last night so the pressure is on to get the cab done.

I had a duh moment there on the distilled water. LOL

So today I finished putting mylar on the doors and the rest of the cab.

Here's a new pic. :)
Finishedmylar.jpg

I took a pic of the passive air intakes in the bottom. I covered them with A/C filter stuff. A small table sits over them with gaps on the sides and built in black outs. Here's the pic.

PassiveAirCovered.jpg

You can also see that the center beam comes out. I had to do that cause I had to cut the door in half. The cab is going in a closet with limited space so I needed small doors.

I will be installing a carbon filter (handmade) on the top of the cab to draw air from bottom to top. And I need to make the light hanging situation. Then its pretty much done. Although looking at my light set up. I think i'm going to add 4 more lights.

Peace.. BioStub.

ok revamped my light fixture for 12 sockets and got the retractable hanging device done. Did first light check. Tomorrow I build a carbon scrubber and mount my power strip. Later down the road is building the scrog screen.

Mounting the sockets to the board
DSCF8099.JPG

4 sockets on a board done.
DSCF8100.JPG

Wire Boxs
DSCF8101.JPG

Socket board attached to wire boxs and spacer board.
DSCF8102.JPG

Installing individual light reflectors.
DSCF8103.JPG

Done. Finished light fixture. Still need 4 cfls. It has a total of 12 sockets. 4 y sockets and 4 straight.
DSCF8104.JPG

Installed light hanger. First light test. Photos taken with a finepix 5200 no flash.
DSCF8105.JPG

Rope attached to one side though 2 eye holes on the fixture, routed to a pulley and tied off on the side.
DSCF8106.JPG

Great Job! I would change the sockets to ceramic. What other methods of attaching the sockets have you explored? Just an old disabled stoner electrician wondering...

Great Job! I would change the sockets to ceramic. What other methods of attaching the sockets have you explored? Just an old disabled stoner electrician wondering...

Hey Amp.. :welcome: to 420 man.

Actually this is like 3 light fixtures ago. LOL.
I found an easier way of doing it. I went to my local Habitat restore and got 6 double fixtures from ceiling lights. Drilled some 3/8 holes in a piece of wood
evenly spaced and shazam there you have it. I'll take a picture later to show
you. Easiest way to make a cfl light fixture. :)

Bio..

Told you I was an electrician. I did not read. I was just curious because I have been using some lights that contain 24 32W 5K. The lights contain reflectors that reflect 95% of all light . Wow! that made me sound like a dick. I'm not, I saw your box and got my mind cranking

Told you I was an electrician. I did not read. I was just curious because I have been using some lights that contain 24 32W 5K. The lights contain reflectors that reflect 95% of all light . Wow! that made me sound like a dick. I'm not, I saw your box and got my mind cranking

Wow.. ok.. what kind of reflectors are you using?
Just what was cranking in your mind. LOL

Oh ok. like having the lights on the outside instead of on a pole in the middle.
I thought of that too. but there just isn't enough room in box :(

imagine if you will a box that opens on 2 sides. in the middle is 2 shelves.
The outside housing would be enclosed and have air coming in the bottom
and lights at different heights. Kind of like rails with lights in them.
The inside would house lowryder plants. it would kind of be like your
describing. Except the box opens on 2 sides.

Well that's what is great about being sparky. I can fix that pm me

Might as well post it in this thread in case it can help others in the future.

The lights are modular and I am imagining the possibilities.
They are lite weight. And
Come with mounting hardware.
I'm a rookie at cultivation.
Don't want to sound over anxious.

I'm very curious to know what
indoor growers use

HID / Flourescent / CFL / LED ?

I love your box BioStub, but watch for wear and tear on that rope at the light bank.

I'm new to growing and I use:

1 - 130w LED (3w led's)(??? lumens)
6 - 40w CFL's (16320 lumens) 2700k
1 - 26w CFL (1660 lumens) 5000k
2 - 23w CFL's (2900 lumens) 6500k
1 - 13w blue CFL

In a 2.7X2.7X5.11 grow tent.(at the foot of my bed):thumb:
3 White Shark clones
1 Supersonic Cristal Storm
It works for me, I can't deal with high temps the good lights put off.

Back
Top Bottom