Grow Cab Ventilation Redesign-All About Heat

MisterPeabody

After my last grow, I've decided it's time for an improvement. I've spent the last two grows fighting heat related issues. If it wasn't blistering hot temperatures cooking the canopy it was heat related issues is my reservoir as well. Simple enough, right? Well, it's taken a lot of trial and error which gratefully is one of life's greatest teachers. I've learned about root rot, and through experience know at what temperature that which when reached begins to rot the ladies below the waste. What makes it even worse is I am an HVAC Technician and understand things like airflow, static pressure, ect. What I wasn't prepared for was just HOW MUCH HEAT I could generate within the small confines of my stealth grow cab.

Finally, on my last grown I began testing not only temps, but where in the cab they were, and what could be done to lower them. Without boring you with locational temperature statistics, as every application I presume would be different, this is where it was decided to locate supply and returns, what size, ect. in this particular cabinet. Maybe some can find meaning or something of which to build onto and improve. Enjoy.:roorrip:

DSCF8353.JPG

DSCF8361.JPG

DSCF8358.JPG

DSCF8377.JPG

DSCF8368.JPG

DSCF8373.JPG

DSCF8372.JPG

DSCF8374.JPG

DSCF83751.JPG

DSCF8376.JPG

DSCF8386.JPG

DSCF8385.JPG

DSCF8379.JPG

DSCF8388.JPG

[
DSCF83821.JPG

DSCF8364.JPG

DSCF8365.JPG

DSCF8391.JPG

DSCF8399.JPG

DSCF84071.JPG

DSCF8414.JPG

DSCF8410.JPG

Damn man amazing cabinet we have nearly the same setup Sunsystems 2 hood, intermatic timer(best timer you can buy at any hardware store),same temp/hygro meter... what size hid ya got? there looks like 250mh. Looks like you have some computer fans on the rear wall if they are 12v they will be pushing around 32cfm. Check ebay for "sunon 115v" or "sunon ac" these fans are amazing plug right into 120v and come anywhere from 70cfm-200+ cfm not much static pressure but in sealed box they will do wonders in series. I just installed a 160cfm ecoplus fan and a heritage fan controller vented into attic via 4" duct through wall and temps problems are a thing of the past... keeps temps 1-2deg with all my 107cfm sunon fans off. check out my journal Let me know what ya thinkadding a lumatek 600 dimmable at the end of the week and gunna test my heat again. Just had to let you know you cabinet is perfect man A+++++ you couldn't buy anything that nice unless you were selling it good job!!!

Thanks for the kind words. I checked out your "Incognito Dresser". We think alike. NICE looking cab. Sure looks like it's full of socks and jeans to me...too cool. The balast and bulb in the photo are indeed 250 watt Digital. Now that I removed the vertical T-5's on left and right, I've swapped the 250 for a Lumitek 400 digital. This is the MAX I think I can run without creating another nightmare in heat related issues. I can say this. In all my years of gardening, I've NEVER had to face issues like I have since the beginning of this project. Thus far, it's working great. The T-5 on the seedings has been removed and they are on about 4 days of 400 watt MH. 3 days before that (a week ago, I introduced them to 2-3 hrs of 400 watts in the evening. This gets them used to the increased lumens as well as radiant heat. What I'd like to find in a fan is a VERY low profile 8" 115v fan. When I find one, I'll fab a shroud to it and connect to the 10" darkroom register in the upper cab. Bet that will knock another 2-3 deg in the upper cab.:ganjamon:

Damn man amazing cabinet we have nearly the same setup Sunsystems 2 hood, intermatic timer(best timer you can buy at any hardware store),same temp/hygro meter... what size hid ya got? there looks like 250mh. Looks like you have some computer fans on the rear wall if they are 12v they will be pushing around 32cfm. Check ebay for "sunon 115v" or "sunon ac" these fans are amazing plug right into 120v and come anywhere from 70cfm-200+ cfm not much static pressure but in sealed box they will do wonders in series. I just installed a 160cfm ecoplus fan and a heritage fan controller vented into attic via 4" duct through wall and temps problems are a thing of the past... keeps temps 1-2deg with all my 107cfm sunon fans off. check out my journal Let me know what ya thinkadding a lumatek 600 dimmable at the end of the week and gunna test my heat again. Just had to let you know you cabinet is perfect man A+++++ you couldn't buy anything that nice unless you were selling it good job!!!

Excellent post, great pics and details...I gotta reread this later when I have a bit more time. +rep!

Hey Neutrino...Thanks for words. It's been a labor of love...it must have been for no more than can be grown in it. Some day soon, maybe it wont be neccessary.

:peacetwo:

Wow! That is a very cool (pardon the cheap pun!) cab!
I live along the I-10 corridor in the South West US and have always had to come up with different ideas on how to cool a grow space.
Yours is very intriguing because of the innovative thought and it's effectiveness:thumb:
I use frozen 2liter bottles of water in my cooling apparatus but I'm considering using a chiller like you have done. Do you know what size chiller I should get for a 10 gallon cooling reservoir and whats the coldest temps I could expect from a small chiller?:thanks::Rasta::ganjamon:

Hey Orangeblood... you humble me. Thanks for the kind words.
Here is what I found out. My first attempt to "chill" the reservoir came in the form of a peizo-electric device with a fan and heatsink and thermostat controller. My reservoir then was about what is is now, 6 gallons. I had to send it back. I ended up with a "real" chiller. (In a test, I maintained 60 deg in a 5 gal uninsulated bucket with ease) The reservoirs now stay at a smooth 68 deg this time. Last grow, I had this 1/15th hp true chiller taking care of downstairs (6 gal) and upstairs (4 gal) with ease maintaining 68 deg (+- 1deg). Keep in mind both reservoirs are insulated as well. A 750 gph mag drive pump handles JUST the circulatory loop for chilling, and still it enables me to run two entirely different nutrient ratios without effecting one another, and it works flawlessly. Info on how if it is requested. So yes, I dont know why a 1/15 hp wouldn't take on 10 gallons and do it with a smile. If in doubt at all, go for the 10th hp. Price difference isn't a lot. :peacetwo:

Wow! That is a very cool (pardon the cheap pun!) cab!
I live along the I-10 corridor in the South West US and have always had to come up with different ideas on how to cool a grow space.
Yours is very intriguing because of the innovative thought and it's effectiveness:thumb:
I use frozen 2liter bottles of water in my cooling apparatus but I'm considering using a chiller like you have done. Do you know what size chiller I should get for a 10 gallon cooling reservoir and whats the coldest temps I could expect from a small chiller?:thanks::Rasta::ganjamon:

I finally coughed the dough (wholesale though) and got this meter that is always on, and reading the three areas of my reservoir that need to be known. 1. Ph 2. Nutrient Strength (mine is in EC). 3. Last but certainly not least. Reservoir Temperature. I LOVE being able to see at a glance whats going on in my reservoir.

dscf8474e.jpg

dscf8473q.jpg

LOL! You caught the grow bug my man! That burning desire to build the baddest grow op and then always looking to improve it. Keep following that "whats next" voice and you will definately acheive your grower goals.

I love that you've gone the extra mile for all the bad ass meters,timers,etc. Getting down and dirty knowing every minute detail of a grow will always be more successful than playing the guess and wait game.:bravo::welldone:
I cant wait to tune into your journal!:yummy:

After springing for the Tri Meter, and having to replace the 250 digital ballast with a 400, all my rainy day funds are gone. I had to spring for a bulb, and couldn't pop another 100 bucks on a bulb so I did what any other would do in times of no money-improvise. Yes, I'm sure if I compared this bulb to the best of the best on the market it may fall short of absolute perfection, however for the job of creating vegetative lighting, I'm sure it will do just fine...it certainly has in the past. There is always a silver lining to every dark cloud. This bulb set me back $12.67 plus tax.:ganjamon:

DSCF8519.JPG

DSCF8520.JPG

After springing for the Tri Meter, and having to replace the 250 digital ballast with a 400, all my rainy day funds are gone. I had to spring for a bulb, and couldn't pop another 100 bucks on a bulb so I did what any other would do in times of no money-improvise. Yes, I'm sure if I compared this bulb to the best of the best on the market it may fall short of absolute perfection, however for the job of creating vegetative lighting, I'm sure it will do just fine...it certainly has in the past. There is always a silver lining to every dark cloud. This bulb set me back $12.67 plus tax.:ganjamon:
DSCF8519.JPG

DSCF8520.JPG

mr peabody hell'va set up where did u get the 12.95 mh bulb and is it a conversion bulb.thanks in advance:peacetwo:

mr peabody hell'va set up where did u get the 12.95 mh bulb and is it a conversion bulb.thanks in advance:peacetwo:

Locke Supply. I get contractor pricing, so it's probably a few bucks less than retail. Usually, if you go in knowing what you want, they won't question your your ability to screw in a light bulb...(just kidding on that last part-they just sell AC equipment to Joe Blow. It's not a conversion bulb, simply MH. The HPS bulbs cost me about 15 bucks. The ballast is digital, so no conversion required. :peacetwo:

Evolution Of A GrowCab-From The School of hard Knocks
Grow Cab Ventilation Redesign-All About Heat
Deep Water Culture with Fogponic Contruction

i liked your hidden plenum idea.

Back
Top Bottom