Grow Journal 2 - Several Strains

I was so busy the last couple weeks I haven't had time to add to this journal. We're in week 10, and all of the plants have been transplanted into either 3 gallon or 5 gallon pots now. We're almost ready to start sexing out all the other strains. Most of the Blue Dreams and Skywalkers have shown their sex (in the greenhouses). I have already eliminated a few of the males, and in the next few days, I'll be getting rid of all the rest of the Blue Dream and Skywalker males except for 1 of each. Most of the females will be coming back inside this week, but I still have too many of each strain to grow indoors, so some of them will be budding outside.
wk10c.jpg

Week 10 Vegetation Stage
wk10b.jpg

Week 10 Vegetation Stage
wk10a.jpg

Week 10 Vegetation Stage

I'll be posting more pics later today, showing males that are being eliminated and the beautiful young females that are coming back inside.

I have now picked my favorite choices of males for my first 3 strains, Blue Dream, Blue Cheese, and Skywalker. I tossed out 4 more males today, but the race has begun! So far, even though they were not among the first 2 strains started, the Blue Cheese is definitely in the lead with 7 plants already starting to flower. I have a couple of the best looking ones inside, and the rest will stay outside. I now have a few of the other strains just starting to flower, and I brought them inside as well. I now have 1 Pink Candy Kush, 1 Bubba Gum and 1 Humboldt Cookies starting to flower inside.
wk10h.jpg

Checking for males - you can see the male flowers starting to come out next to the arrow.
wk10g.jpg

My first 3 males. Blue Cheese will probably be the first to go into the reproduction room.
wk10f.jpg

First 3 males - Blue Dream, Skywalker and Blue Cheese
wk10d.jpg

More males to be eliminated.
wk10e.jpg

First 3 males - Blue Dream, Skywalker and Blue Cheese

Week 11 and all plants are in the process of being sexed out. Most of the males have been eliminated and I now have a beautiful male of each of my strains except for my Original Grape 48, but I still have one more of those that I think is a male. We'll see in a couple more days. This is a big project and I started too many plants for a multi-strain indoor crop, so I'll be keeping about half of them outside to bud. I started planting a few of the females directly into the ground. I have removed the cover from the greenhouse to get more light, and most of the plants are now soaking up natural sunlight as they continue to sex out.

wk11b.jpg

Several of the larger females.
wk11d.jpg

Several of the larger females.
wk11c.jpg

I planted a few in the ground this week. Blue Dream Sky, Skywalker and Master Orange
wk11a.jpg

Blue Dream Sky, Skywalker and Master Orange planted in the ground.
wk11e.jpg

I have a few females in the garage with all the males. I have increased the Metal Halide light now to 20 hours a day to keep the males from pollentating too soon. I'll probably have to increase it even more in the next couple of weeks.
wk11f.jpg

Mostly males with a few females getting bigger in the garage. I also started Old School Breeders Assoc Tajakistani Hash Plant seeds and Harlequin (for the high CBD) for some friends.
wk11g.jpg

Females in the budding room with the Deep Purple plants.
wk11h.jpg

wk11i.jpg

And I just thought I would add these just because they look so yummy. The Deep Purple plants that are taking up all the room in my small budding room...
dp41.jpg

dp31.jpg
dp24.jpg
dp14.jpg

One more note before I close for the day... I am officially correcting myself again. The 2 strains I got from Madcat's Backyard Stash are Blue Dream Sky (Blue Dream x Skywalker) and Skywalker Kush (Skywalker x OG Kush). That's it folks. See you next week!

:bravo:I'm speechless, is there a room at your place that doesn't have a plant in it? Lol... I'm so envious of the time it must take to take care of so many plants. Reps+ to you Paul, simply put... Magnificent :bravo:

KiG new guy :green_heart:lol cheers

Yes, we have 2 bathrooms ... just kidding. No plants in the bedrooms, kitchen or dining room lol. The one thing I learned a while back is that when you're growing from regular seeds, you always want to start with more than you need, because half of them will be males that get eliminated. Sometimes, I get carried away though, and I think this was one of those times.

Unfamiliar with the concept of increasing the light hours to prevent males from releasing their pollen. Seems illogical. Wouldn't the increased hours just cause them to reach maturity faster?

I'm adding two new strains to this already out of control jungle. I know, it's absolutely ridiculous but I promised my friend Aaron I would grow Harlequin for him. The seeds I started actually turned out (we found out later) to be Tajikistani Hash Plant so I'm growing those as well. I certainly can't complain about adding this strain. Maybe, I'll cross Harlequin with TJ Hash Plant for a new high CBD strain. Anyway, I' have almost eliminated all the males so I have more room now. LOL
rmg_tajikstani_hash_plant.jpg

Tajikistani Hash Plant from Old School Breeders Association
Harlequin_seedlings.jpg

Harlequin seedlings from Old School Breeders Association

I think we're about in the middle of week 12 in this journal and I know at least a couple of people are still following but looks like I lost a couple peeps. :confused: I have now eliminated most of the males with only about 6 plants left to sex out. Now that I have a selected few plants planted in the ground (nice variety of Master Orange, Skywalker Kush, Blue Dream Sky and Blue Cheese) I have a much more manageable crop. We're going to be harvesting the Deep Purple crop in a couple of weeks so I'll have enough more room so ...

Dynasty_seeds.jpg

I'm getting ready to start 2 more new strains to add to the mix. Dynasty Genetics' Lovin Cup and Salmon River OG, both are awesome strains. My plan is to run these 2 new strains along with the other 2 new strains and flower them all at the same time ... just about when we're harvesting all the other 8 or 9 strains.

So, here's the update for this week... I have selected 2 males (I selected a back up just in case) from each strain so my garage is now full of males ready to explode with pollen along with a few females I'm trying to get bigger. My metal halide lights are running 20 hours a day and I'll be starting pollination this week, starting with the winner Blue Cheese. This is going to be a busy month!

wk12e.jpg

wk12b.jpg

wk12a.jpg

wk12d.jpg

wk12f.jpg

wk12d.jpg

wk12g.jpg

All the females are starting to flower now inside and outside. Let the breeding begin!

I have moved all of the Deep Purple plants out of my small grow room and put all of my chosen females under the HPS light. My first 2 Blue Cheese females have been taken out of the small grow room to be with the males. Because I have limited growing space at the moment, the Blue Cheese males have to stay in the living room by the sliding glass door where they receive natural sunlight for a few hours during the day. The females are outside in direct sunlight but they get to spend a few minutes each day (starting yesterday) with the males.

wk12i.jpg

The small grow room with all the female teens budding.

wk12h.jpg

Blue Cheese, Original Grape 48, Pink Candy Kush, Blue Dream Sky and Skywalker Kush.

I think we're about in the middle of week 12 in this journal and I know at least a couple of people are still following but looks like I lost a couple peeps.

I'd wager it's not that you lost any subscribers, but that there's not a lot that you any help with. There's far more noobs like me than experienced growers, and when they find someone that already knows what they are doing, they tend to check the thread less frequently.

Everything is looking awesome. Incredibly :goodjob: man!

I'd wager it's not that you lost any subscribers, but that there's not a lot that you any help with. There's far more noobs like me than experienced growers, and when they find someone that already knows what they are doing, they tend to check the thread less frequently.

Everything is looking awesome. Incredibly :goodjob: man!

Well that's definitely nice to hear. Thanks Arteekay!

Okay this is week 13 and we're in the 2nd week of flowering for most of the females. I have eliminated all of the males now including the backup male of each strain because there were way too many. I also removed the only male Pink Candy Kush because the male is too far ahead of the females and I can't risk having it accidentally cross pollinate the other strains. I knew this was too many strains to manage at once, but that's okay because I'll be making feminized seeds in the next few weeks and the Pink Candy Kush will be the first feminized strain. I have not decided on the next one but probably Blue Cheese.

Speaking of Blue Cheese, my two females have now been thoroughly dusted by the 2 Blue Cheese males twice in the last 2 days, as the males are now all under 12 hours of high pressure sodium light and pollinating nicely. In breeding, a grower can tell when a female has been pollinated because the small white hairs turn red (even though the buds are still small and immature) especially on the top of the buds. Pics of the 2 Blue Cheese females coming later today.

wk13c.jpg

Week 2 of budding indoor - small grow room

wk13a.jpg

Skywalker Kush and Blue Dream Sky in front, with Pink Candy Kush, Original Grape 48, Humboldt Cookies and Master Orange in back

wk13f.jpg

Pink Candy Kush, Original Grape 48, Humboldt Cookies and Master Orange and 2 Deep Purples (with larger buds in back)

wk13e.jpg

Taken from the other side - the cola in front is on one of the Deep Purple plants which are almost done (last 2)

wk13d.jpg

The pics come out much better when the hps light is off ... right?

Looking good! Quick question...instead of pollinating a full plant, could you just take a couple clones and pollinate those in a small tent or room? I don't know how many seeds are made with a single bud spot. To me it sounds like it would be easier and more controlled with tiny clones than full blown plants.

Looking good! Quick question...instead of pollinating a full plant, could you just take a couple clones and pollinate those in a small tent or room? I don't know how many seeds are made with a single bud spot. To me it sounds like it would be easier and more controlled with tiny clones than full blown plants.

Yes, Nismo. I have made seeds using a single clone, but to get enough seeds, you have to get it at least a couple feet tall (I veg mine closer to 3 feet). That's how I made my GDP Wreck - Trainwreck male from seed pollinated a GDP clone. And yes, it's easier to control.

Back
Top Bottom