Grow Journal Harlequin 1:18 Fem Using Masterblend

Thanks Professor, this evening I will throw in some pro's and con's and some numbers.

Day 32, October 10, 2019

History in the making ...., same plant, yesterday and today....

oct10.jpg

oct10_1.jpg

Now I have more positive experience with the USM system, I will show some numbers and data. I have had a (veggie) DWC greenhouse in the past and I compare the two systems, taking into account:

• USM connected to and serving two 5 gallon buckets
  • DWC two net pots in one reservoir, 6 gallon of water nutrients in it and replaced every 9 days.
  • Cheap version of all materials
  • Ph. and PPM’s the same at start-up.

Maybe I forget a few things but feel free to add or correct me in that case.

data1.jpg

data2.jpg

data3.jpg

data4.jpg

It will depend, have 2 plants in the shower stall, end of next week I will transfer one into a separate enclosure to grow buds, the one in the shower stall is meant to be the mother plant to get clones for the rotating garden so that will take longer.
I think it is best you advise me when to flower as I am a virgin grower

Day 34, October 12, 2019

Plants and roots are looking good. Did a refill this morning with Ph. 5.57 and I increased the PPM’s from 1000 to 1260.

I changed the setting yesterday evening form 50 sec ”ON” and 90 sec “OFF” to 15”ON” and 30”OFF” and this is the reasoning behind it (good or bad lol)

• I decrease the “drying time” 90”OFF” and with the 15”ON” I give little “bursts” of nutrients before the roots can get dry. (30"OFF" now instead of 90"OFF")
  • When the mister stops, there is a period of 5 – 10 seconds that the mist still comes out of the top of the bucket, with the schedule of 50/90 that happens 25 times per hour. With the schedule of 15/30 it happens 80 times per hour so I make better use of the nutrients, well, at least that is what I think…..
day34.jpg

Day 35, October 13, 2019

The change to the 15”ON”/30”OFF” setting did certainly not have a negative effects on the roots. Yesterday evening I changed to 15”ON”/35”OFF” and this picture shows the result compared with 2 days ago.
It looks as if the roots on the left are much thicker, but that is not the case, it is only because the pic on the left is more of a close-up, just look at the size of the net pot.

oct13.jpg

I am making a reference excel sheet of the different USM’s that I have, I know what their max. output is per hour, but the ON/OFF button has also a min./max. setting so I am going to measure the output on 1/3 and 2/3 of the button position in case I have to exchange misters for whatever reason.

It will depend, have 2 plants in the shower stall, end of next week I will transfer one into a separate enclosure to grow buds, the one in the shower stall is meant to be the mother plant to get clones for the rotating garden so that will take longer.
I think it is best you advise me when to flower as I am a virgin grower
That's all depends on how big you want the finished plants to be and how much room you have to play with. Plants usually stretch 2 or 3 times once flowered but not always. Best to check what the breeder claims. A good time to flower is about a month from seed as this gives the plants time to mature enough to transition properly. Clones will flower straight away but plants from seed need to grow a little first.

That's all depends on how big you want the finished plants to be and how much room you have to play with. Plants usually stretch 2 or 3 times once flowered but not always. Best to check what the breeder claims. A good time to flower is about a month from seed as this gives the plants time to mature enough to transition properly. Clones will flower straight away but plants from seed need to grow a little first.

Flowering for the Harlequin strain is around 60 days but I am sure I am behind around 15 -20 days with me messing up in the beginning with all the testing with lack of any root development. I am now officially at day 36 but if I deduct 16 days I would be at 20 days, looking at the size of the plants that would come closer to reality and now with all the root development they should start to grow a bit faster. Also, it is a large strain (175 cm) but I guess if I top them twice, the shower stall can handle the height. Topping them twice will cost some extra time again I guess.

day36_1.jpg

day36_2.jpg

I think my Ph. meter is not giving a good reading any more, as I did a small comparison this morning and these were the readings:
oct15_1.jpg

Probably I did not a good calibration a few weeks ago before I started these plants. As I don’t have another calibration test kit at hand, I did a search on Internet and found that the Great Value (GV) bottled water has a Ph. of 6.5. I know that when I add the nutrients the Ph. goes down a bit so I made a fresh batch with the GV water and 1260 PPM’s, as the batch before. I changed the batch and inspected the roots and this is what I saw:

oct15.jpg

At first I thought this was some kind of mold, but after some research I found out that these were air-roots and that was actually a sign that the plant was in very good health. Of course, now I am confused as I assume the that Ph. in the water given was far too low (I adjusted from the reading Ph. 8.7 to 5.6)

I will order a new calibration kit for my meter and maybe today I will go into town for a Ph. pool kit.

Can someone confirm about air-roots? Please?

Day 36, October 16, 2019

Did a refill yesterday with the Great Value water and no adjustment for Ph. So I think Ph. will be around 6.0. PPM's remain at 1260. Plant and roots are still looking good, it grew about 1/2" in two days. I have the feeling the other plant stays behind a bit.
oct16.jpg

Day 41, October 10, 2019

Plants are growing and good root development. Changed the setting 2 days ago to 20 "ON" and 30 "OFF".

oct19.jpg

Hey Buds. I've not heard them called air roots before but those furry looking patches on the roots are good. I usually see them if the roots grow out of the top of the soil when the canopy creates shade. I've not seen the yellow/Orange tips you have going there though. It looks like they've been air pruned slightly. Plants look healthy and have a nice colour so keep doing what you're doing

Hey Buds. I've not heard them called air roots before but those furry looking patches on the roots are good. I usually see them if the roots grow out of the top of the soil when the canopy creates shade. I've not seen the yellow/Orange tips you have going there though. It looks like they've been air pruned slightly. Plants look healthy and have a nice colour so keep doing what you're doing

Hey Professor, they use the term “air roots” on the Internet on several different sites so I assume they are called like that. As you can see the furry areas are now full with small roots.

For the yellow tips, they are only at the tip of the root (each root) and they grow along, they don’t get bigger/longer so I think it is normal.

October 22, day 44, 2019

A little update, the roots of both plants are perfectly white and both plants are growing although I don’t know if they grow fast as I have nothing to compare. What I like about using the USM is, that the Ph. and PPM’s never change, I always dose the same Ph. and PPM’s, day after day.

oct16-22.jpg

oct22.jpg

Day 45, October 24, 2019

It is going very well now, plants are growing good as well and have a nice, deep green color. When I open the door, the smell of the plants is immediately there.

It is a pity that I lost so much time with experimenting but I am happy that in that phase I did not lose my plants. Hopefully at the end it was worth it.

The USM uses per plant per day around 600 ml of liquid/nutrients (1230 ppm/ph 5.67) in this phase, so that is 6 liters (1.5 gallon) per 10 days. This is really not much and I never have to check the Ph. or ppm’s, nor I have to clean out a reservoir, these things I also really like.

oct24day45.jpg

Day 50, October 28, 2019

It’s been awhile so I thought to give you an update. The roots looks super healthy but I have the feeling the growth of the plants has stayed behind although I have no real experience in this. I still keep telling myself I am a few weeks behind because of all the experimenting but I also have the feeling they started to grow a bit more this last week. I did change the setting for misting from “20/on – 30/off” to “25/on – 30off” This picture below shows the plant I have been showing all the time, the pic in the middle are the roots of that plant and the pic on the right are the roots of the second plant.

oct28.jpg

It took several weeks for the roots in the picture in the middle to come out of the RW cube so I think this plant got a bigger "hit" with the experiments and is a bit more under-developed.
I have read somewhere that there is CBD in healthy roots as well, LOL, I think these would do good in the salad..... :laughtwo:

Hey Buds! Things are looking great in here. Those roots look perfect.
I've heard of people using all the plant but can't say I've ever heard of doing anything with the roots. They do look tasty now though lol. I bet you'll change your mind halfway through flower. They tend to get a bit nutrient stained which can sometimes be confused with rot. Will you be topping or going natural?

Hey Buds! Things are looking great in here. Those roots look perfect.
I've heard of people using all the plant but can't say I've ever heard of doing anything with the roots. They do look tasty now though lol. I bet you'll change your mind halfway through flower. They tend to get a bit nutrient stained which can sometimes be confused with rot. Will you be topping or going natural?

Hey Professor! I was serious about reading of CBD in roots, but was joking about the salad lol. I will go for training as I have time for it, no use to start other plants as I promised my girlfriend to take her to Cuba in the winter and I can’t leave my plants unattended. I have only 2 plants growing right now so it is best to get the most out of them. One of the plants was supposed to be a mother plant for clones but that is not going to happen now either.

About “halfway through the flower”…..I will be curious about that. A few weeks ago I washed out an adult pepper plant from soil (stained roots) and put it in a UCM. It took a few weeks as the plant was totally in shock of course but this morning I saw new WHITE roots developing. I will do an update about that soon.

Cheers.

Lol. Root salad. There's probably some delicacy that could be made with them.
After flowering has been initiated the roots should stop growing around the same time that the plant stops stretching. That's why they might start going a bit like smokers teeth in colour. As flowering advances the nutrient strength increases creating a darker liquid that then starts to stain the roots. I have noticed that the MasterBlend isn't quite as dark as some of the nutes ive used in the past. I'm having a few difficulties with my Purple Punch in the DWC using the MasterBlend at the moment. All of the 9 other strains which are in soil are doing really well with it though.

Back
Top Bottom