Grow Medium easy hydro set up.

realtalgrower

Ok I am have done outdoor for 3 seasons now and have decided to go hydroponic indoor during the winter. For two reasons. 1. It seems like so much fun after watching a few videos. 2. I want to have my own clones to go in the ground come april.

Water
Now I have set up a fairly easy and cheap hydroponic system. Using two large rubbermade containers one for a Planter and one for a resivour. I bought a patio 12 sprayer drip system and a pond pump and about 20 feet of 1" funny hose. A few fittings and some zip ties to keep everything water tight. Ok so the way I imagine it is I am going to cut 4 holes in the top of the "planter container" and place a roundplastic planter in each of those holes. bring the funny hose from the resivoir and make that pump power the drip system to where I will putt 3 of the drip nozzles on each plant. a second hole will be put in the planter to drain the water back down to the resivoir. Set it on a timer and other than changing the water once a week and checking the water level daily it should be fairly fool proof.

light
For the time being I am using 3 shop light hoods with with 6 48" floros. for the veg and hope to have saved up for a nice flowering light (either a sodium or a few of the new CFL's I have been reading about) in the next two months as my plants veg.

Air/enviroment: I put a digital thermometer/humidity alarm first off. And also installed a squirl cage fan to vent and a a few other fans for breeze (Gotta keep those stalks nice and strong) And I thought up a fairly smart CO'2 system. Using baking soda and vinegar I set up a rope to hold a bottle of dawn that I had washed out and filled with vinegar and I have a flat bottom bowl that I put about a 1/4" of baking soda win the vinegar drips on to the baking soda it creates CO2. This is the only time of day I will be shutting my fan off so that i get a nice saturation on my plant. I used a co2 detector I bought at walmart for 15 bucks and I got the co2 up to 1600 ppm in my grow room with in 2 minutes of starting the vinegar drip system and it stayed at above 1400 ppm for a while even after I turned the fans back on. (this is the shakiest part of my set up but we will see how it goes)

Question
Now then my question. What is a nice cheap way to set up the soil pelletts. I would buy them if I could find a store that had them. But keeping of the tradition of this set up maybe one of you knows a cheap and easy way to do grow medium.

Thanks for your help. If anyone see any holes in my set up please let me know. I will put up pictures as soon as I am finished... its a work in progress my goal is to keep the entire set up under $250 and beable to harvest about a half pund every 3 months. My only thing is figuring out how to set up the grow medium. Any suggestions?

anybody? I got these jiffy pot starters that I have put the germinated seeds into. I have spouted 15. but I really need to transplant soon to the hydro tank as the roots are starting to come out of the jiffy sack! Any ideas? Can I use something I like smooth paond rocks or something???? Thanks for your help.

Stoned in the AZ

In all reality you should have started the seeds off in a paper towell, and then transfered them to rockwool plugs that can fit in to the bigger rockwool cubes. This is the main point of hydro....not to use soil. Those jiffy pots are gonna crumble and let out all that brown soil crap into you hydro setup, and mess your pump up. Dont put those in your setup. Best bet is to water by hand until the roots are popping through the jiffy pots, and then Gently wash off the roots. After washed with water. You can set the plants into 4 inch net pots and cover then with hydroton. Hope this helps.....:peace:

Back
Top Bottom