Grow pots and drainage

oldhippybroad

As a an about-to-be first time grower I have been furiously reading while setting up my tent and awaiting the arrival of my seeds. I'm trying to keep it simple, following tips for newbies to growing, but there is one thing I haven't seen described. I'm using a soilless mix of 75% coco coir and 25% perlite. I have a Ph test kit and nutes ready. My question is: Should my grow pots have drainage holes or not? It seems like if they don't my plant's roots will be swimming in water, but since pot can be grown hydroponically...... Help!

Also, am I better off germinating in paper towels and moving the germinated seed to the 3 gallon pot I'll be growing in, or should I germinate in a peat pot and then plant the peat pot in the 3 g. pot after the plant has begun growing? If you have a favored method, I'm listening.
:Namaste:

I would place it in the peat pot but I like to cut a couple slits in the bottom of the peat pots. The three gallon pot needs to have drainage holes as well. the roots need oxygen just as much as they need water. With a mix like you are using it is going to need frequent waterings. at first though it will not need to be watered as much.

Yes, your pots need drainage holes. Your roots need oxygen, as well. Yes, herb is grown hydroponically, but there is oxygen forced into the nutrients via air pumps.
As for germinating, you want to allow your seedling to develop a nice root ball, so you don't want to plant directly into a 3 gal. pot. Also, peat is not good for germinating seeds. What I do is this: throw seed in glass of water. Once it sinks (you can help by dunking it), then I fish it out, place it in a moist paper towel, place in a ziploc bag and place it somewhere warm. I throw it on top of lights with a towel over it to block out any light. Once you see it's germinated, place it into a solo cup, or very small pot, and let it go from there. I'll usually keep it there until it's developed four nodes, then transplant to it's final container. Hope this helps. Peace,

depending on how easily your pots dry out you may end up watering them every day or even a couple of times a day.
this whole plants can drown (overwater) but then people grow in hydro....its all about the oxygen.

when you water a traditional plant pot and you even slightly over water, the water in the pot becomes stale and without o2, when this happens the tiny root hairs begin to suffocate and die, this can often make it difficult for the plant to drink giving off underwatering symptoms.

in an ideal world, you would put tap water into a bucket and drive air bubbles through it overnight / 12 hours (to dechlorinate and oxygenate), alternatively you can add h202 to your water at a concentration that can provide oxygen.
a ratio of 1 part h202(3%) to 4 parts water/ 1 part h202(9%) to 12 parts water will not only provide ample oxygen to the roots but will also kill off most nasties in your medium such as fungus gnat larvae, it will also kill off beneficial stuff too so be aware of that if your relying on a 'living soil' grow technique.

my personal opinion, i wouldnt use a peat pot in a non organic hydro pot it can provide food and affect PH, whilst not bad in themselves, can affect your numbers to help make a miscalculation of feeding requirements. but i have to be honest and say thats just a belief, havnt had time to qualify that suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom