Grow tent inside a closet - Help

Mgrbys

Hey guys I'm new here, and I just want to say that I got stuck on the image verification on the signup for a while, that was really hard, and I'm not even high right now.
Kind of new to all of this growing stuff. Haven't started yet but I am planning on starting, getting all the equipment now..
So let's get to the point here, I plan on buying a tent - which could fit inside my closet, in my room. I want it to be just 1 plant for a while, getting some experience, and that's pretty much what I can fit inside that tent(I think). I wanted to buy a LED light - the Mars Hydro 48 Reflector as I saw people did some good grows with it (taking comments on the LED as well, haven't bought yet).
Now after thinking about it for a while, I came to a few problems - which I hope you could help me with.
I found the GrowLab40, 40x40x120 which fits perfectly to the closet I have. My room isn't big, so I can't really place it in the room without raising too many questions. Inside the closet it will probably be safe.

The problems are:
1. Odor
2. Ventilation
3. Clothes

So about the odor, if I make a carbon filter myself, like I saw on the DIY section, does it really keeps the smell away? The clothes inside the closet are a problem as-well, I can't really move them anywhere, my room isn't that big, as I said. I don't want it to smell, that could raise some questions too ;)
Would that keep the smell away from the room and from the clothes?
I also saw the Ona gel, is that a better solution - or an add on to the carbon filter?

About the ventilation - I've got one window in my room, and I'm not entirely sure how could I make the air come out of the closet or to it. I mean, I could probably make like a hole, but would that be enough to get the air flowing? At night I could probably open the door so the air could come in, but on the day when I'm not home for example, I don't want to leave it open..

If the exhaust vent is on the top of the tent and the hole for the air is in the bottom - would the air still be able to get out? and what if it doesn't, what are the consequences of a not so ventilated grow room?
What if I leave the doors of the closet open only at night? or when I'm at home during day?

That's many questions I raised here, hope someone actually could answer me, even to some of them.
I probably got some more, but let's start with that.
Thanks in advance guys!

I'm not so sure I'd mess with a DIY carbon filter, go commercial. Look into a product called ONA. My buddy grew 1 plant under his stairs. Stunk up the whole house. I told him to buy some ONA... Problem solved.

As far as ventilation, go to bLowes and buy a replacement door for your closet. Cut all the holes you need for intake and exhaust and connect with flexible dryer duct. If ever there is a problem and need to shut down the grow, just put the original door back on.

You will need very little ventilation with the reflector 48. I own one and use it in a veg/cloning cabinet (2x2x4 feet). Buy two of the smallest and cheapest matching CFM 4" fans you can find. One for intake and one for exhaust. If you do not run active intake and choose passive, you will need larger intake hole(s) to avoid too much negative pressure in your tent. I can give you accurate measurement for inlet holes if you go passive.

Environment is the most important part of a successful grow. You must be able to set the temps and relative humidity to where you want them to be without being at the mercy of the weather outside. Simplest way is to control the air in your bedroom, and let exhaust fans keep exchanging that air continuously. I keep my spare bedroom at 69F and 60%RH day and night with a dedicated window unit AC, a 32 pint dehumidifier, and a humidifier when needed. The heat from the LED heats up my cabinet to 77F and lowers my RH to around 52%RH. At lights off, the exhaust still runs non-stop and eventually cools the room to ambient bedroom temps and RH.

While designing your grow space, concentrate on climate control. You'll thank me for it later.

EDIT: clothes will not be a problem if you vent to your bedroom. Ona in bedroom and possibly carbon filter in tent. May be able to just use the Ona.

I would do some reading about Ona gel. I read that it cannot be in the same room as plants because it can change the smoke/taste. From what I read it must be outside room and I would not have it near any intake. I have never used it, just something I read. My 4in carbon filter did well in my 3x3 space. I will put it to the test with 4 plants next round. A 6in fan/filter may be in my future.

Back
Top Bottom