Grow Tent Odor Control

oiuhdfukg

I'm picking up a small Secret Jardin grow tent in the near future (2x2, big enough for a couple of plants) and I want to know what the best options are for odor control. Do I need a carbon filter for a setup this small or will Ona gel be enough to control the smell?

:thanks:

Ehhhh I'd use Ona gel in the room outside the tent. It says it's safe for plants, but I wouldn't want my Cannabis absorbing any odors.

For ventilation, a small activated carbon filter will be fine. Something 12" 30cm long, and 4"-6" or 10-15cm diameter would work fine with a decent fan.

With 2 plants, you'll most smell them after defoliation, after handling them (tucking leaves, LST that sort of thing) and the odor slowly goes away over a 12 hour period.

Once you start flowering they'll smell a little more. I notice it mostly in the morning, and towards the end of flower it starts getting stronger, but never leaves my computer room (using the closet in here since its unused). Closet is 2x3 and about 84" tall for comparison purposes.

Where do you need to keep the odor contained to?

The tent will be in a 12x12 room in my basement and the odor needs to be contained to that room.

So you're saying that even without odor control the smell shouldn't go beyond that room?

Without ANY odor control, I would imagine the smell might be detectable outside the room, nearest to the door. Especially when you're getting close to harvest. I don't use my filter during veg, and have never smelled them outside my PC room, regardless how much training I have done. That's why I suggest the Ona for outside the tent, it'll help mask anything that escapes the tent. But if there's no problem with the smell in the room, you can skip the spray deodorizers completely. Remember, a tent has an air intake, and it will intake air from that 12x12 room. The cleaner that air is, I imagine it will be much more beneficial to your plants.

Having a smaller grow will allow you to build your own simple and budget friendly carbon filter. The inline fans are probably best, but I used a small tabletop fan, 12" diameter I believe. Its made by Honeywell. From there I simply used a cardboard tube from bread crumbs, cut out the end so I had a hollow tube, cut large sections out of the sides, leaving about 1" strips in between the cutouts. Then wrap the cardboard tube in gutter screen, using tape or zip ties to secure it. Normal window screen would work too. Then cover the whole thing in a pantyhose or a nylon sock. cotton might work too, but I haven't tried it myself. I then fill the tube with activated carbon pellets (Don't use powder), then I fold the pantyhose over the top, and secure it with tape or a zip tie.

If your fan is the same size as your cardboard tube, connecting them is pretty easy. If the sizes differ like mine, you can make a section of transition ducting, that adapts the larger fan to the smaller filter, using cardboard and duct tape.

Here's a simple filter someone made here: DIY Can-Filter

I based my filter on this design, minus the layer of polyfill.

I ended up buying a 4'' carbon filter. I'm not brave enough to try building my own.:loopy:

For fresh air intake, can I just use a 4'' inline ducting booster fan?

You don't need a fan on the intake. As long as you have an intake spot/hole for fresh air to come in, the action of the exhaust will create negative pressure, and it will naturally draw fresh air in.

Make sure the intake area has at least one 90 degree bend, or some kind of dark cloth to prevent light leaks. When growing photo period plants, the light that leaks into an intake can cause problems when you want them to flower.

I concur with Antics! A small carbon scrubber on your exhaust fan should be fine. Passive lightproof intakes are the way to go as well. Just make sure that your exhaust fan is directly attached to your scrubber and pulling air into the scrubber.

So the air should go: Inside Tent->Scrubber->Fan->Ducting->Outside tent

Good luck with your grow!
:Namaste:
-Moneky

Just a quick follow up on this. The odor didn't become an issue until about5 weeks into flowering, and the 4 inch carbon filter is more than enough to deal with it. The exhaust fan has also been quite handy in dealing with humidity inside the tent.

Back
Top Bottom