Grow Tent Size Opinion

TwistOneUp

I'm hoping to get some opinions and recommendations from those experienced with grow tents. I'm considering buying a 2' x 4' tent. I'm going to be growing strictly for my own personal use and estimate growing only three plants at a time. My goal is to actually get a high enough yield to only grow two at a time at the most. I also plan to use a 600W HID setup for lights.

My question is, other than being able to grow more plants at one time, is there any reason to go bigger? I thought about maybe going with a 3' x 3' but I'm really only gaining 1 extra square foot. Is there any other reason to go with a 3' x 3' (or larger) over a 2' x 4'? If I go any larger then I'm afraid that I'll have a bunch of extra space that I really won't utilize. Not mention the decrease in the efficiency of my lighting.

I should also mention that indoor space is not really an issue for me because I have a large spare bedroom that I will be setting up in. I'm thinking that if, by some chance, I decide I need a bigger tent then I could get another the same size.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I would get a 3x3 for that 600 watt lamp. And you will need to cool that lamp down as well. A 3x3 tent with a square reflector would be sweet. I run 2 600's in my 4x8. I get good light at the edges but not great. Good luck!

MacEFL - The reflector is what I had in mind and what got me started considering a 3 x 3. That and heat concerns in a 2 x 4.

Shuffledemon - I don't really need worry about hiding it in a closet. I do still need it to be somewhat discreet though. I have a large empty room to work with. I just don't want to go with a large tent that forces me to use more than one light. I checked out your journal briefly. That is a nice light! It looks like you're getting some good results out of it too.

Thanks for your input guys! At this point, since space isn't really an issue, I think I'll go ahead with the 3 x 3.

If you have the space MacEFL is right. 3 x 3 is much tougher to fit in a closet though, so it depends on what you are doing.

If your major concern is having space you won't utilize - don't fret. You'll fill it. :)

Damn, a 2x4 tent is ideal for the light I use - The Top LED 144x3w Reflector Series.

Forgot to mention, I subscribed to your thread so I can take a closer look at your setup.

Labexperiment - Good call! That's something I hadn't thought about.

Tead - There a number reasons for not using the whole room. It is a large room and I don't want a major operation. It's just me that I'm growing for. It's possible that I may need to use the room for other things. Even if it's just to store seldom used items in. Not to mention that it is much easier to control a grow environment in a smaller contained area than it is a large open one. As for your other post, that's a pretty solid point! For my purposes though, if I'm not getting good light saturation at the edges from a 600W light then the tent is too big. I don't want to have more than one light.

Edit: Spelling

Perhaps partitioning the room with some simple impromptu walls could work well for you. This seems like it would give you much more flexibility. I have a large garden shed split in 1/2 with white foam insulation boards. I keep a veg tent and a bloom area in the sectioned off area and use the other half of the garden shed for normal garden shed things.

That's a good idea but I have a ceiling fan in the middle of it that would get in the way. A grow tent is the best option for me. It's simple, efficient and I can take it down if need be. After it's down and packed away no one will know that it was ever there. I'd love to convert a garden shed like that though. That sounds like a sweet setup.

Not so sweet... I live in a warm climate and have to run a lot of AC. Indoors would be preferred, but is not really an option.

It does get pretty hot and humid in crawfish country. If you like to eat though, there is no better place to live.

Mmm a 600w in either a 3 x 3 0r 2 x 4 will need cooling, so ye ya looking at an air cooled hood !

In that space 3 plants is easy done, 4 can be a push at times but all depends on strain grown in height requirements once stretch factor is thought upon due to dominate genetics...

Yield is always a favourite question :love:

You might want to ask yourself on how much you smoke every month ?

To expected yield per plant (strain dependent tho) !

To length of time required to grow including veg time and flowering cycle depending on strain & on average you may look at 4 to 5 months :Namaste:

This may influence grow style a little...

Mmm a 600w in either a 3 x 3 0r 2 x 4 will need cooling, so ye ya looking at an air cooled hood !

In that space 3 plants is easy done, 4 can be a push at times but all depends on strain grown in height requirements once stretch factor is thought upon due to dominate genetics...

Yield is always a favourite question :love:

You might want to ask yourself on how much you smoke every month ?

To expected yield per plant (strain dependent tho) !

To length of time required to grow including veg time and flowering cycle depending on strain & on average you may look at 4 to 5 months :Namaste:

This may influence grow style a little...

Thanks for your input! I've been considering the effects of heat and the need for ventilation and circulation. As far as yield goes, I expect to narrow that down through trial and error.

At this point, I'm going to go with a bigger tent. That seems to be the common theme. Even in what I've read in other places. Since I'm not confined to a closet, it makes sense to get a larger tent.

After considering the advice y'all provided and browsing the forums more (BTW, that never gets old), I've decided to go with a 4 x 4 tent. I've got plenty of room for one that size and heat will be less of an issue. It also provides ample room to experiment and develop my personal grow style. I've also seen a lot of debate between 600W vs. 1000W lights for a tent this size but I'm going to stick with a 600W MH/HPS for now.

Thanks again for y'alls input. It was a big help in making my decision.

My last grow I totaled 1 1/2 lbs in a 4x8 with 2 600 watters. I think you will be fine with the 600.

My last grow I totaled 1 1/2 lbs in a 4x8 with 2 600 watters. I think you will be fine with the 600.

Thanks for the info MacEFL. I figure with a 4 x 4 that leaves me some options later. Especially where lighting is concerned. I think if I ever decide to go bigger than 600W then I'll look at going LED. At this point though, I'm just getting anxious to get setup and running.

What strain did you use to get that kind of yield? I'm partial to Sativa and planning to go with AK48 from Nirvana my first go around but I'd like to order a few different strains at once to limit my interaction with them.

Back
Top Bottom