Grow Tent Temp

Aviendha

Just put my seeds in some soil today but my grow tent is way too hot (95F) Any suggestions on regulating temp and air flow? This is my first time trying to grow. Just have a box fan in there at the moment with the tent vents opened up. Sorry if this is a silly questions.

Open all three lower vents (assuming tent has them) and install some sort of extraction fan on upper port (that's why it's there, lol). Although it is generally recommended to go with a fan / carbon filter setup, if you are completely unworried about filling the area with the smell of cannabis, you then have more options in terms of fans because yours will not have to move air through the restriction of a carbon filter.

A slight negative pressure is fine. A great deal will cause the walls to "suck in" a little, which is more annoying than worrying.

Some people add an additional fan at one of the vents for increased intake, but I don't recommend the practice. A person should be able to do this with only an extraction fan. YMMV, of course; for example, if you are using an open-fixture 1,000-watt HID in your tent, and that tent is in an uninsulated shack in the Mojave, then some sort of heroic measures might be necessary (or you could just switch to an air-cooled fixture in that situation, on its own fan/ventilation run). If one runs both an exhaust and intake fan, unless they are matched then one will be "pushing" (or "pulling") the other, and if they are matched then you wouldn't expect to flow more air with two than with one (unless there is some sort of physical issue that needs to be seen to).

If all else fails, lol, leaving the door open and setting your fan in the doorway will probably be a short-term fix. Be a RPITA if you are growing photoperiodic strains, though, unless the outer room is dark during lights-off.

EDIT: I just went back and reread your post. The fact that you just started your grow today is worrisome, since (one assumes) you are using some pretty weak lighting at this point. Unless you fired up your main lighting just to check things out, that is. A few CFLs or equivalent or even a rather low-wattage metal halide won't produce the heat that the amount of light you'd want to be giving your plants when the tent is full (and said plants are in flower) would. So... IDK?

First thing get them out of there until you get temp under control or you will cook them yes that's from experience
Get some air circulation to start with and get some control on the room temp you got the tent in to will help a lot to I have the worst basement in the world always fighting temp and humidity

Back
Top Bottom