Grow tent ventilation help please!

4Dutchess

If I want to run all my ducts to their own roof jacks which kind of jacks do I install? Is it one with a damper?

If I duct to the gable vent, how do I attach duct to vent? Bailing wire? Is it ok to have both intake and outtake directed to same gable vent?

Im thinking if I need a fan/filter for smell can I duct it out the tent into the room? (since im in/out taking from the attic? Or do I need to run this (fan/filter) to its own roof jack or to the same gable vent the the others are mounted too??

Lets bring some love to this trade people!!!!

If I want to run all my ducts to their own roof jacks which kind of jacks do I install? Is it one with a damper?

If I duct to the gable vent, how do I attach duct to vent? Bailing wire? Is it ok to have both intake and outtake directed to same gable vent?

Im thinking if I need a fan/filter for smell can I duct it out the tent into the room? (since im in/out taking from the attic? Or do I need to run this (fan/filter) to its own roof jack or to the same gable vent the the others are mounted too??

Lets bring some love to this trade people!!!!

Always damper your exhaust vents. Even if it's just a simple inline damper. You could just wire it to the gable but I would find what is called a square to round fitting or C-box. Most big box hardware stores will have the simple HVAC fittings and pipe fairly cheap.. cheaper than grow stores hmff.
Always keep your intake and exhaust separate by at least 4 feet to prevent sucking the exhaust back through the system.
You could damper the intake, but I wouldn't worry about it if it is filtered. I highly recommend filtering intake. A simple pleated filter with a rating of MERV 8 or above will work wonders. For the exhaust I would charcoal filter to decrease odor.

What kind of fans, ducting and distance are we talking here? :)

Always damper your exhaust vents. Even if it's just a simple inline damper. You could just wire it to the gable but I would find what is called a square to round fitting or C-box. Most big box hardware stores will have the simple HVAC fittings and pipe fairly cheap.. cheaper than grow stores hmff.
Always keep your intake and exhaust separate by at least 4 feet to prevent sucking the exhaust back through the system.
You could damper the intake, but I wouldn't worry about it if it is filtered. I highly recommend filtering intake. A simple pleated filter with a rating of MERV 8 or above will work wonders. For the exhaust I would charcoal filter to decrease odor.

What kind of fans, ducting and distance are we talking here? :)
First, thanks so much!!
The hood ducts measure 8" so Im thinking all duct work will be 8"?
The hood intake should have its own roof jack/cbox or route cbox to gable?
intake should have filter if no damper?
outtake should have roof jack damper?
If the cbox mounts to the gable I could use it for my intake and have damper jack just for outtake?
The outtake has fan/filter that pulls air through hoods and out its own damper/jack?
Id say the ducting route for each is less than 50ft from tent through ceiling and through attic.
According to you I just need one line to cool my lights and filter smell?
I thought someone else said the fan/filter for smell is its own separate duct?. No?
Electro, some of these are both questions and statements so I understand. I want to do this right and protect the house. God Bless you!

First, thanks so much!!
The hood ducts measure 8" so Im thinking all duct work will be 8"?

Duct size is really dependent upon your fan cfm. 8" is a little big for tents. Better for a large room.

The hood intake should have its own roof jack/cbox or route cbox to gable?
Yes, or it can come from anywhere.. even inside the house. You could route exhaust and intake through the gable, but it would require some extra pipe and elbows that would stick out on the outside of the building. Very tacky looking and not very secretive lol. Best to exhaust at the gable and intake from another gable or roof jack. Is there any access to the soffit vents? I'd take air from there before a roof jack.

intake should have filter if no damper?

Intake should always be filtered. Dampers are ok if you are dealing with a lot of wind at the air source or back draft. An inline Butterfly damper would be best for this.

outtake should have roof jack damper?

I would recommend it for the same reasons I listed for the intake. Back draft. But it's not an absolute.

If the cbox mounts to the gable I could use it for my intake and have damper jack just for outtake?

I have some good drawing somewhere. I'll see if I can find them for you. It may be simpler to only deal with exhaust at this point and think of the intake (or return air) as it's own task. It's tough to design when I can't see it lol, but if it were me, based on what I hear I would mount the cbox to the inside of the gable. Should be fairly easy. Screws will go right through the metal flanges. Just don't go longer than 1/2 to 3/4" long so they don't go all the way through the gable framing. The pipe would mount to that and then you would do your run. 50 feet is an extremely long run. The more turns, the harder it will be to drive the air. 6" round duct with a 6" inline fan that has a rheostat control will do the job. You'll need to set it around 200cfm to establish static pressure. Most 6" inline fans are around 300cfm. You can also use a cheaper inline fan called a duct booster fan. These are one speed only. Do not use a rheostat switch. Just an on off. The drawback to these is they are very loud and don't last long. You can see this gets pretty deep :laughtwo: I'll get back to plugging through your questions :)

The outtake has fan/filter that pulls air through hoods and out its own damper/jack?

Yep. The carbon filter can be placed anywhere in the run but will be most effective at the beginning before the fan. The fan should be close to the source of the heat or smell you are trying to remove. Fans do exactly what you said.. "pulls air". They don't push. Static pressure pushes.

Id say the ducting route for each is less than 50ft from tent through ceiling and through attic.
According to you I just need one line to cool my lights and filter smell?
Oh, nope.. sorry. That wasn't very clear. The carbon filter is for exhaust and the regular pleated filter would be for intake. Some people is the cheap polyfil filters which work, but they are not very effective against small particles like mites. Pleats are perfect either but they gain efficiency faster when loading up.

I thought someone else said the fan/filter for smell is its own separate duct?. No?
Yep. Intake and exhaust are always separate.

Electro, some of these are both questions and statements so I understand. I want to do this right and protect the house. God Bless you!

Glad I can help. :) There's more options lol.. and I tend to have an ACME mentality :laughtwo: It just really depends upon some things. Are we venting a tent or a room? Square feet is a somewhat critical figure. Also not ruining the house is what I have in mind too lol. That's why I would avoid roof jacks. If you can work with soffits, gables and wall vents all the better. Never cut a hole in your roof unless you absolutely have to. Avoid tying into appliance venting. A service person will see this immediately and questions will be asked and you will probably get talked about when he gets back tot the office lol. Better safe than sorry. Masonry chimneys are not so bad if they don't backdraft.

I have to wrap up my work day and git. I'll let you digest for a while :)

:Namaste:

Thanks so much Electro! You did good! broke it down for me so I can understand.
Im going to intake from my soffit vent and outtake through the gable vent.
Im going to run all filters you recommend.
If hoods have 8" exhaust holes then the intake/outtake line for the lights will have 8" ducting and a 6" fan will work?
Need an adapter or will 6" fan mount to 8" duct?
I realize the fan size does not mean fans ducting size. But if so an 8" fan is alot of air but ok to me. Maybe 8" fan is best cause will move more air and run inline with my hoods?
I just reread your answer.... use 6" fan and 6" ducting? but when it gets to the 8" hoods do I duct tape the heck out of it or are there adapters? Is pulling from 6" intake to 8" hoods back to 6" fan/filter and 6"outtake ok? Thats why Im thinking 8" for all because of the hoods? Im thinking you dont want to go from big to small back to big ducting?
I will use filters you recommend for hood ducting. I understand you!
Im not too worried about smell but im thinking for a separate fan/filter for smell, the duct work for that will be the diameter of the fan/filter I choose? And maybe routed like the hood exhaust....... from soffit vent to fan/filter to gable vent?
A 5'x9' tent fits great in the room. Im thinking a Gorilla grow tent. And using closests later on for cloning/mother station. I want to use the tent to save the room from possible damage.
Im working on people here to help me with set up when needed. I need to focus on room prep. now like cleaning out the room. Id like to be operating by Oct.
Electro, Im green at growing but good and I should go inside and perfect this craft. This is my current yard grow taken a few weeks back. Im currently pulling males and planting potted females. I will take another in a few weeks. Thanks so much!!
20160614_170120.jpg
20160615_071854_1_.jpg

My hoods are 8" does that mean all the ducting has to match. Or do I use adapters? 6" duct intake to intake filter to 8" hoods back to 6" duct to 6" fan/filter to outtake?
Both exhaust systems (hood fan/filter and smell fan/filter) im thinking of drawing both from the gable and out taking both to its on roof dampers.? My soffit vents are to 3 1/2" and to small to draw/vent from? Thanks!

I have two fans: 185 m3/h and 200 m3/h. I will buy cool tube because there is 35 Celsius in my 80x80x160 growbox. Is my plan on picture good? Fresh air from outside to cool tube and then out. But where I place intake vent - on number 1 or number 2? What about second fan?

4Dutchess - 8" hoods are fine, but yes you will need a duct reducer. 8" to 6" is very common. It would be best to keep everything at 6" imo. You don't want to choke so no 8 to 6 and then back to 8.

You could draw fresh air from the soffit, but it will require a soffit boot. Probably best to intake from one gable and exhaust out of the other. Wish I could do that here lol.

Beautiful yard btw! :) The girls look very happy.

I have two fans: 185 m3/h and 200 m3/h. I will buy cool tube because there is 35 Celsius in my 80x80x160 growbox. Is my plan on picture good? Fresh air from outside to cool tube and then out. But where I place intake vent - on number 1 or number 2? What about second fan?

Dang.. don't scroll down will looking at that picture.. distracting lol.

You got it though :) You could even reverse that depending on season and temperatures etc. :thumb:

You can pull that off with only one fan.

4Dutchess - 8" hoods are fine, but yes you will need a duct reducer. 8" to 6" is very common. It would be best to keep everything at 6" imo. You don't want to choke so no 8 to 6 and then back to 8.

You could draw fresh air from the soffit, but it will require a soffit boot. Probably best to intake from one gable and exhaust out of the other. Wish I could do that here lol.

Because of my hood ducts being 8" Im going to run all 8", duct, fan. The grow shop said anything smaller than 6" is too small so Im thinking 8" all the way for simplicity and better to move more air?
Im going to install damper roof jacks for both intake/outtake
I pulled almost all the males and planted my potted females. I will take a pic was its situated. This year Im trying with my yard grow . Thanks Electro.

The roofer wants to know what kind of damper jacks? Damperd on top or in the pipe?? Im going to install separate jacks for hood exhaust.

Back
Top Bottom