Grow Tent Ventilation - Inline Fan Issues - Please Help!

information

OK hi everybody, new guy here.

I have this inline fan:

s-l1800.jpg

connected to a speedster, with at least 7 meters of ducting connected to the inline fan.
First meter or so is 4 inch, then connected to the remaining 6 meters of ducting which is 6 inch.
With 3 nice bends in ducting to reach the final exhaust point.

Would this be too much work load for this fan? I had a power trip and smelt a faint elec smell, the same as when you over work a drill. My theory is that maybe this is too much work for my fan. Am i right someone PLEASE shed some light.

PS my tent is a squat 2.5x2.5x5 with a 700w dual spec MARS 2 Hydro. I also have a small oscillating fan.

I understand heat would be an issue but i bought this light and plan for bigger and better things later on down the track and hope for air exchange to solve my heat issue.

I have 2 fem freebies that popped 2 days ago:

Dinafem - Blue Cheese

720 genetics - Super shark

I need to sort this out ASAP.

Cheers in advance :Namaste:

Also my intake is passive and coming through 2.4 meters of 6 inch duct. Maybe to much negative pressure, my tent is sucking in about 50mm? just a thought. I have opened up the flaps provided on the bottom on my tent but am worried about the room temp where tent is located.

On the instruction manual the speed controller says to use a extension lead rated at 15 AMP MIN.

The multiple power outlet board i have is rated at 10 AMP. Would this be cause for shorting out/electrical smells?

I also have the Speedy controller running through a travel adapter plug (eep) because the version i ordered came with an American plug end and I do not live in America, obviously.
I have no help locally, only on the internet.
I was never supposed to end up with the wrong electrical equipment as this was a lapse of judgement.
I have considered changing the male plug on my speedy controller to suit my location but I am hesitant considering I have never done it, though it is only 3 wires it cant be to hard right?

Over 30 views and not one reply. Someone save my sorry arse.

Also my intake is passive and coming through 2.4 meters of 6 inch duct. Maybe to much negative pressure, my tent is sucking in about 50mm? just a thought. I have opened up the flaps provided on the bottom on my tent but am worried about the room temp where tent is located.

On the instruction manual the speed controller says to use a extension lead rated at 15 AMP MIN.

The multiple power outlet board i have is rated at 10 AMP. Would this be cause for shorting out/electrical smells?

If you have more than 10 amps plugged into this you will cause a fire and good chance is why you are smelling electrical burning need to address this asap

I also have the Speedy controller running through a travel adapter plug (eep) because the version i ordered came with an American plug end and I do not live in America, obviously.

Get the male attachment cap and post up pics and I can help you wire it correctly
I was never supposed to end up with the wrong electrical equipment as this was a lapse of judgement.
I have considered changing the male plug on my speedy controller to suit my location but I am hesitant considering I have never done it, though it is only 3 wires it cant be to hard right?

Be safe and don't overload your equipment if you must use splitters use only ones rated at 20amps using #12AWG Wire

If you have a screwdriver and a knife, changing a electrical plug is very easy. Tip: Curl the stripped end of the wire around the screwdriver handle to make a loop to screw down the terminal. Tip: position the curl with the wire entering the left side of the, screw, when you tighten you want the wire to get pulled under the screw head, not pushed outward. More simply, the wire should be fed clockwise, same as screw tightening direction.

Please be very careful using power strips, I've seen two fires caused by 6 outlet power strips, and both were not the cheapo bargain units, but supposedly "good ones" with a Brand Name and the price tag to match. Neither were technically overloaded and were running less than 8 Amps, but they still both smoked and then the plastic housing melted and flamed. Contacted the manufacturer, and they replaced them for fre, but I still don't trust them with anything drawing serious amperage.

Best of Buds

JB

:Namaste:

On my exhaust fan it says:

Power 65W, Current 0.62A, Capacity: 6uF/250V, Voltage/frequency 110V/60Hz, Speed 2565 rpm, Insulation class F

On my Speedster fan controller it says:

Input V. 120V, MAX A. 15A

120 volt, 15 amp max. DO NOT EXCEED CAPACITY.
for use with blah blah blah. Extension cords must be 15 amp approved.

My power pack says 240V a.c 50HZ 10A 2400W.

As far as I am aware in residential where I am the power outlets on the wall are 10 amp.
Am i able to buy a new power pack set up and just change the male plug on my speedster to a 10 AMP plug?

I feel like such a knob, I have spent all this coin on a bogus setup.

hopefully not all hope is lost. Thanks for the info people. :thanks:

I have looked in my power box and i have two separate spots for each half of the house.
they say D60 U20A 240/400v 4,5kA

what is a sure way to know if the cable in my place can handle a 15 amp power point maybe i should change the power point on my wall?

I have looked in my power box and i have two separate spots for each half of the house.
they say D60 U20A 240/400v 4,5kA

what is a sure way to know if the cable in my place can handle a 15 amp power point maybe i should change the power point on my wall?

Hmmmmmm
I assume you are in Australia ... 230v/50Hz with standard type "I" plugs?

"My power pack says 240V a.c 50HZ 10A 2400W." ... but not sure which component you are referencing.

I know electrical fairly well and that looks like an Australian power code. Most of my knowledge is based upon US power current standards 120v/60Hz, but I can still try to help you with your problem. I don't want to give bad advice about electricity, it can be deadly! I've reread your post and wanted to be sure, you did say your inline fan is pulling 0.62 amps and your variable speed controller can pass up to 15 amps. I guess I don't fully understand the problem ...

Best Of Buds

JB

I apologize for being so vague whilst asking for help.

Yes i have type "I" plugs.

The power pack I was referring to is my power board with multiple spots for electrical devices to be plugged into.

I want to know is the safe for me to replace the Male plug on my variable speed controller with a 10 amp type "I" plug?
I understand that it says it is able to pass 15 amps and my fan is only 0.62 amp. Will my variable fan speed controller pass 15 amps regardless of the amp my fan draws? The earth pin for 15 amp plugs are larger than that of a 10 amp and i just do not want to put the wrong plug on my variable speed controller.

I appreciate the time you have taken to respond. Thank you.

No, your variable speed controller will only pass whatever the fan pulls. 15 amps is the potential maximum draw the controller can safely pass.

Power Strip or Power Outlet are the words used in the US for what you call a power board. As mentioned, be careful when using a Power Strip, it is much more likely to be a fire hazard than your variable speed controller. The better and more costly ones have a yellow LED that flashes when the Amperes are reaching the limits of the Power Strip.

Welcome information ...
Best Of Buds

JB

Back
Top Bottom