GrowCouple's First Time

GrowCouple

Hey everyone! We are a Canadian couple who've been lurking for a while. This is our first time growing and we're on a budget. We decided to start growing for fun and because we wanted to take our green thumb to the next level. We got all of our basic tips, tricks and advice (mostly) from other journals, so we're excited to be here and hope to gain more knowledge :)

Strain: We got some free seeds online from Overgrow Canada (Dana Larsen). The CBD strain is called Freedom Dream.

Grow room: We're using a re purposed dresser that we took the shelves out of. We painted the inside flat white, built a light rack with 6 sockets and adjustable chains.

IMG_053235.JPG
IMG_053539.JPG

Lights: 4x 23w CFL on a 20/4 light cycle

Medium: Coco

Nutes: Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Grow/Bloom & Liquid Karma

PH: 5.5

Temps: Between 26 and 27 C

Ventilation: None at the moment. We also aren't worried about the smell (yet).

A little background on the journey so far: On March 9th, we put 2 germinated seeds into our 16 oz solo cups. Initially, we had 6 CFLs on 24 hours so that we could gauge the temperature/height for the lights but it proved to be way too hot in there. We decided to switch to 20/4 and we cut down to 4 CFLs, but we're noobs and still trying to figure this out. We'd love input on this!

We've been using Liquid Karma since the beginning but began our Grow nutrients on March 18th. The two plants are looking good, but have been getting some brown tips. Should we be worried?

IMG_053736.JPG

Pinky:
IMG_053940.JPG

The Brain:
IMG_054039.JPG

Thanks for sticking around this long! :)

I love DIY cabinets. Your cabinet looks AWESOME! ! Ive built 2 out of old furniture to get my perpetual grow on as well. I will definitely follow along for this grow. :)
420-magazine-mobile844142919.jpg
420-magazine-mobile861923216.jpg
420-magazine-mobile943459998.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1706893276.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1773328889.jpg

Sent with my Light and Love Happy Growing

Do you have some type of fan in there? You'll definitely want to have a fan blowing on the plants. One taking air in and one taking air out. I will definitely help your airflow heating issues

Sent with my Light and Love Happy Growing

welcome GrowCouple. Yes agree with savingson plants will suffocate and growth will be spindly without exercise. i have a similar box that has two computer fans in it one for wind and one blowing air out does job for me although i only use it for seedlings and clones. regards

:welcome: fellow Canadians!

I'm not a fan of coco but don't know if that's what causing the leaf problems. Did you flush the coco before use? It needs extra calcium and magnesium too from all I've read about it. Should have perlite in it as well. I use ProMix HP mixed with ProMix Veg and Herb and/or their potting mix.

You are going to need some ventilation for your box. Got a computer fan laying around? You can hook up one to a wall wart for power and mount the fan at the upper back corner of the box to move some air thru. I use a multiple voltage wall wart to run one for small plants. Then you can adjust the speed and run it really quiet.

Good luck!

:welcome: fellow Canadians!

I'm not a fan of coco but don't know if that's what causing the leaf problems. Did you flush the coco before use? It needs extra calcium and magnesium too from all I've read about it. Should have perlite in it as well. I use ProMix HP mixed with ProMix Veg and Herb and/or their potting mix.

You are going to need some ventilation for your box. Got a computer fan laying around? You can hook up one to a wall wart for power and mount the fan at the upper back corner of the box to move some air thru. I use a multiple voltage wall wart to run one for small plants. Then you can adjust the speed and run it really quiet.

Good luck!

High everyone!

Thanks for following along and all of your input. We got a little fan in there now to circulate the air, and soon we will be adding either a bathroom exhaust to the top or some computer fans. Here is a pic with our little fan (not blowing directly on our plants) :)

IMG_055544.JPG

And the plants, at approx day 18! Less brown on the leaves and they're gaining some height.

Pinky:
IMG_055648.JPG

The Brain:
IMG_055758.JPG

hello. Do yous intend to train and bend in the weeks to come to keep plants low? when you potting up? just looking at room height. If height is an issue take the drawers out of cabinet install a floor base put the drawers (just fronts back on) or piece of hardboard or even cardboard painted white on inside. have fun. regards

Hey! We're going to pot up probably this weekend, now that the forth node has appeared and they've started to gain some height. As soon as we are able to sex the plants we're going to decide what to do; if we have two females, we're going to either modify the cabinet so that it's taller, or we're going to move them to a small closet :) If we have only one female, we will start to bend and train her to hopefully keep her in the cabinet as is.

If we were to modify the cabinet and take out the drawers, would we need to make a base for the cabinet so that the pots aren't directly on the hardwood floor?

Having a ton of fun so far, they're growing so fast :eek: Will post pics soon!

Day 21

Here's what the babies are looking like today! They're gaining height quickly, and the tops look great, but I don't know if I should be worried about how their bottom leaves look :/ Anyone ever have leaves looking like this?

Pinky
IMG_058846.JPG

The Brain, both sides
IMG_058745.JPG
IMG_058543.JPG

This weekend we'll pick up some calcium/magnesium, and some bigger pots for when we transplant 'em. Might perk em up..

Hello. up to you about the base. My cabinet does not have a floor so i can lift it up when needed as my lights are fixed to the roof of the cabinet. wooden floor ok but would advise saucer for plant pot to sit in to catch run off water. Alas they wont show gender until you flip the light cycle later on approx 1-2 weeks into flowering. regards

Another good $25 investment in future is a wet dry vac. If you plan of flowering in your cab you shouldn't move the plants to drain the drip trays. You DEFINITELY dont want your plants sitting in the runoff. You could line the bottom w contractor plastic and drip trays to give yourselves more space

Hello. up to you about the base. My cabinet does not have a floor so i can lift it up when needed as my lights are fixed to the roof of the cabinet. wooden floor ok but would advise saucer for plant pot to sit in to catch run off water. Alas they wont show gender until you flip the light cycle later on approx 1-2 weeks into flowering. regards

We are going to bend/train them, our cabinet is a difficult to modify if we want to take the drawers/base they're on now out. We heard it can be done with simple tape, around the time they reach their sixth node - but we've gotta do more research! They're getting tall now so it's almost time :) How have you done it in the past?

Another good $25 investment in future is a wet dry vac. If you plan of flowering in your cab you shouldn't move the plants to drain the drip trays. You DEFINITELY dont want your plants sitting in the runoff. You could line the bottom w contractor plastic and drip trays to give yourselves more space

Thanks for the idea!! It's already a bit difficult to get the run off out of the tray without disturbing the plants and moving them around too much. We are going to flower in the cabinet, so we might start looking around for one of those now :)

Hola! Currently in week 3 of Veg, according to when we started using our nutrients. We absolutely love waking up every morning and coming home from work every day to see how much these guys have grown. It's incredible! We really hope we have at least one female here.

For those of you who are good with nutes, I've included a pic of our nutrient schedule; we use Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Grow/Bloom (and Liquid Karma). We're currently using both at about 1/2 strength (week 3 of Veg currently). Should we work out way up to full strength during the bloom phase?

IMG_060645.JPG

Top view:
IMG_060740.JPG

Getting so tall :D
IMG_060844.JPG

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom