Growing A Legend: An Auto Tribute To Jack Herer

I suspect you are correct. I'm sure shed may have a suggestion. I've never started in such a large container. I think mine is in a 2.5 gal? But again totally differnt medium and I'm far less concerned with over watering. Just do what you feel the plant is telling you like you said and I'm sure you'll do great. Doubt a grower like you will have any problems.... :high-five:

As for feed levels, for any of us who are feeding, I thought I heard derby say autos like less nutrients??? idk if I'm remembering correctly, I do medicate frequently. :volcano-smiley: Only auto I grew was by surprise....

Thanks again friends. Hope you all having a good Friday

@flytier

There once was a man named dabber
His bathtub was rather dapper
He grew lots of weed
For all friends in need
All while perched on his crapper

:rofl::bravo::rofl:

Hahahahaha I love this thread!
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hope everyone had a great week! I know its quiet in the grow up to now....but things should start picking up for us and anyone watching us soon.

I have a question for someone that has grown autos in big pots before. I am used to growing photos in organic soil and I generally do two up pots during the grow so I don't normally ever have a little tiny plant in a 10 gallon pot that I need to water. How often do you tend to find yourself watering and how much liquid do you generally use at the early stage like this? I don't want to overwater them but I don't really have a baseline to go off.

You are on the right track. I have three (3) autos in 7-gallon pots (you've seen my winter 2018 journal) from start to finish. I also use organic soil and I watered them every third day for the first 6 weeks and then every other day for the rest. I've seen your pics and, to me, your soil looks dry. The beauty of all that soil in a 10-gallon is that you can saturate all of it and the plant will take what it wants/needs. I was using 2-gallons for 3x 7-gallon pots.

For your future auto growing, you probably would never need a larger pot than 7/10-gallons. The plant simply can't grow that fast to run out of room. Most people use 3-gallons and that is plenty sufficient (and what I had to currently use due to space). I really did like the 7-gallon for the winter because of my wide temp swings..the extra soil provided insulating mass to the roots. :)

My humidity levels are low in the winter time. I am running two small humidifiers in the tent and I am able to get it up to about 50% so its not terrible. I will get it figured out, can't be that much different than any other type of growing.

Added benefit of saturated soil is increased humidity proximal to the plant....

Well idk if I'm seeing things but it appears my first set of leaves are deficient? So I gave them some cal mag, liquid karma and a splash of TERPINATOR (for K). I always seem to struggle with the seedlings? I swing back and forth from over to under feeding when trying to start them in pure coco. Normally, I like to start in a coco soil mix to avoid any stupid nutrient induced mistakes, but all my soil is frozen solid :laugh:.

So I'm going to try and cruise by cultivators coco thread and refresh my memory on where I could possible be goofing up. I think cal mag and my part B should do fine. But I'll check the recommended feed levels.

@InTheShed you feed autos the same ppm as photos normally?

The beauty of all that soil in a 10-gallon is that you can saturate all of it and the plant will take what it wants/needs. I was using 2-gallons for 3x 7-gallon pots.
I'd be concerned that the soil in a pot that size with no roots yet to suck up the water will take too long to dry out (depending on ambient RH obv) and might promote some root rot. I grow my autos in 7 gallon smart pots and after the initial soaking before planting, I don't saturate again until the plant is much larger.

I'd be concerned that the soil in a pot that size with no roots yet to suck up the water will take too long to dry out (depending on ambient RH obv) and might promote some root rot. I grow my autos in 7 gallon smart pots and after the initial soaking before planting, I don't saturate again until the plant is much larger.

Well, "saturate" is subjective here and while a fabric pot can be forgiving it is always subject to the "that's f#cking enough" touch test. Stank has low RH issues, to the point where he runs a humidifier. I am on the coast and have high RH year round. To clarify my earlier post, I didn't use 2-gallons of water in the first 2 weeks of the seedling, but I definitely was using that quantity (for 3 plants) week 3 onward. Like you, I water the entire pot outward in and tried to make the roots reach for the water. Also note, I am running these autos @ 20/4 so that factors as well.

I find 3-gallon pots much more work for keeping the plants watered when they are 3+ weeks old.

I water my big pot Autos as if they are a small pot

Based on size and area around that size...
Seems to work

Uggg so slow on the phone..night all

You are on the right track. I have three (3) autos in 7-gallon pots (you've seen my winter 2018 journal) from start to finish. I also use organic soil and I watered them every third day for the first 6 weeks and then every other day for the rest. I've seen your pics and, to me, your soil looks dry. The beauty of all that soil in a 10-gallon is that you can saturate all of it and the plant will take what it wants/needs. I was using 2-gallons for 3x 7-gallon pots.

For your future auto growing, you probably would never need a larger pot than 7/10-gallons. The plant simply can't grow that fast to run out of room. Most people use 3-gallons and that is plenty sufficient (and what I had to currently use due to space). I really did like the 7-gallon for the winter because of my wide temp swings..the extra soil provided insulating mass to the roots. :)
I have seen some of your Buds and i am a believer, shit i got one on the screen savior now , and Thanks for the info !

Mad,
Don't go by what I said on my journal about why I was killing my autos by not feeding them enough. With my first journal with all of them being autos a never fed over 1.1 EC the whole grow and I had burnt tips and leaf clawing and ended up with mostly fox tailed buds. I think this was all heat related as with the grow I have going now I'm up to 1.8-1.9 EC and don't have any problems. I'm pushing them but no burnt tips yet. Is this because there photos? I don't think that's where it things are different. Environment, environment, environment. You can feed them heavy if temps, humidity, and lights are good and they'll blow up on ya

Mines got the odd disclororing too Van, and I've only been using about 250mL of water for the beginning but right now I believe I'll up it to 500mL and start introducing more nutes,z7, great white, and ff line up. Pics soon. My 10 gal is onl y filled up 3/4 of the way up, and I've been keeping temps around 64-76°f. Slower growth it seems, and I think the miccorrize will help with root build up. Thanks all for encouraging me, I've been in the dumps for head and no end in sight but always nice to read positive energy even with the occasional back and forth. Happy vegging all.

Well I hate to say I am glad to hear that your's has the strange coloring as well.....but it makes me feel better about mine. Leaning towards something in the genetics that is doing it and not us.

On a side note, I got confirmation that my Stankberry #1 is in fact a girl! Woot woot!! #2 isn't confirming yet, but we believe it will be a male.

Ms Stank got confirmation on her Harlequin #2 that she is in fact a girl......but we believe that #1 is a male, its showing what looks like pre flower balls. We will take 50/50!!

Well idk if I'm seeing things but it appears my first set of leaves are deficient? So I gave them some cal mag, liquid karma and a splash of TERPINATOR (for K). I always seem to struggle with the seedlings? I swing back and forth from over to under feeding when trying to start them in pure coco. Normally, I like to start in a coco soil mix to avoid any stupid nutrient induced mistakes, but all my soil is frozen solid :laugh:.

So I'm going to try and cruise by cultivators coco thread and refresh my memory on where I could possible be goofing up. I think cal mag and my part B should do fine. But I'll check the recommended feed levels.

@InTheShed you feed autos the same ppm as photos normally?
Do you charge your coco first? I usually soak my coco in 1/4 strength food and 1/4 strength cal mag. Then I drain it and dry it out a bit until it’s fluffy. Plop the seedling in that and they always come out the good green :) oh and I still kill them but that’s never been the reason at least lol :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom