Growing Cannabis 101: Dean West Quest To A Successful Sativa Harvest

DeanWest89

08/11/19

INTRO

hey everyone this is my third journal on this site and my 4th indoor grow , this will be my first time growing sativa’s inside, so all advice and help is welcome, I am by no means a master grower but I do take pride in what I’m doing , I keep my grow space exceptionally clean and organized, now I just need to start using some of that on my journals, my problem was last time by the end of the grow I got busy and honestly lost interest in posting anymore , just because I was so busy in life , it sucked the joys out of things I used to enjoy . I will not let this happen again , so 420 friends and family I welcome you to my attempt at growing sativa’s indoors. Please give me your advise , or if any of you have grown this strain before

Strain: Amherst sour diesel by Humboldt seed organization. It’s a 80% sativa and 20% indica , very high thc content and potentially a high yielding strain ( hopefully I can nail this one ) I may also show a Moby Dick XXl auto grow on this aswell I tried doing 2 journals at a time but it was too much for me to keep up to date on

Grow space: 2x4x5’3” grow tent

Lights: 3 mars hydro 300 led grow lights

Medium: organic super-soil from my local grow shop

Nutrients/Amendments: Gaja green organics all purpose 4-4-4 /power bloom
2-8-4 . Glacial rock dust , worm castings ( will get in more detail when I post the transplant out of starter pots

Ventilation/fans: 1 programable 4” inline fan / carbon filter , 2 fans for canopy 1 fan above my lights, and will have another on the floor for under canopy

Nice to see you still kicking it around here bro. You know I'm a watch you knock this one out of ball park . Let's do this oh I got a light I want you to have dean . I think you would love the benefit of the fusion light and I was gifted and I'd be honoured to let you have it .

Grow 420 baby !!

Nice to see you still kicking it around here bro. You know I'm a watch you knock this one out of ball park . Let's do this oh I got a light I want you to have dean . I think you would love the benefit of the fusion light and I was gifted and I'd be honoured to let you have it .

Grow 420 baby !!
Thanks for your love and support joe , your a stand up guy with a big heart . I am very excited for this run , and I am glad your on board brother . I’m gonna need a little help with this one . I would be honoured to put the light in my tent brotherman. There should be an award for most helpful member , you’ve gone above and beyond bud . Hope things slow down for you bud, keep it real . Thanks again joe

Thursday 11/7/19

UPDATE

Hey everyone as you know from my intro this is a sativa grow and my first time doing a sativa dom strain.

Germination: I have always stuck to the old faithful paper towel method for germination , but for these seeds I stuck the straight into dechlorinated water on 11/02/19 and after 2 days I had tap roots on the asd seeds, I will take that as a good sign, so I put them right into soil in solo cups , and put a plastic bag over them to hold a moist environment. On the 5th my moby dick XXl auto had pushed a tap root out , it also went into soil. On Thursday nov 7th at 5:22 am there was nothing and by 1 pm that day the moby has made an appearance . 100% successful this time ( my first 100% successful one yet) so I am happy with my new method of germination

ENVIRONMENT: 27 deg Celsius and a relative humidity of 70% .At this young stage I am keeping all 3 plants under 3 12w 6500k cfls in my space bucket , they are getting I started at 15000 lux and increased up to 20000 lux at this stage I increased until I notice them putting energy into leafs and roots instead of stretching for light .

I have removed the plastic bag and switched to a humidity dome.

this is my first space bucket with its new light top, I am currently building a 2.0 version which will be lightproof
2C07C3D6-13D2-4D9C-B079-4A41C403B674.jpeg

15481168-A52E-4F50-8C2D-389D60B368FE.jpeg

100% germination rate
875B4D0F-65EB-4A7F-8C90-2A321853C42C.jpeg

Asd #1
FFA786E2-B849-4120-A750-BCAB8CCFA743.jpeg

Asd#2
A3C5739D-313E-475B-A28E-6B3E214CCCB9.jpeg

Moby Dick XXl auto
FD9B8E53-9C3E-41E8-8A52-ACE21B47463F.jpeg

Looking in through where my inline fan and carbon filter will attach to , I bought a little 100 cfm inline fan for this bucket should be perfect with a filter for airflow in this small
4D28B792-C1CE-4A4E-9F55-E37C62AAFF50.jpeg

So this is the start to a hopefully amazing experience and a good learning curve , this is definatly going to challenge me consideringI’ve grown mostly indica plants.

all help and suggestions are welcome , I just want to thank each and every one of you for taking the time out of your days to spend it reading and learning and helping me with my grow I really do appreciate all of you , so please share the love and leave a like or dislike if you don’t like what I’m doing , or if you have some suggestions . Or just leave some love . theres a grower I like to watch names kaligrownbudz and he has the best language man , his intro is “ growmies of the world , unite “ I just really love the guys energy and positivity and it really made me think about this 420mag family We really are uniting and growing as one. Knowledge is power peace brothers and sisters

Right on brother! I love a nice sativa, but indica is where it’s at. I love getting dummied and munching out! Great sleep aids! I’m very interested in your indica dominant grow.

Gotta love 100% germination rate. I always leave in a shot glass of water for a day then switch to a paper towel folded twice and into a sandwich baggy for another 24 hours. Just making conversation really, can’t complain with the process you chose! :thumb:

Saturday 11/09/19

UPTADE:

Hello everyone , this is just a small update, I set up the 2x4x5’3” grow tent , there was a few things a didn’t like about my last grow and one of the things was height in the tent , I had my fan and filter inside the tent , and this grow I installed the fan only a wood board and put it on top of my grow tent aswell as the filter, it’s gives me another foot of space to work with.
So I took the time to set everyone up nicely , I chained all my lights together so none would spin or turn so I have even coverage wall to wall , I used my lux meter to check this , I also spaced the lights out so their light coverage overlaps each others, so I have ever lux wall to wall( the lux meter I have is comparable with led lights)

my basement was a huge mess and everything was packed away so I had to pull it all out from under my stairs and get to work , it took me 3 days to dig everything out and put the boxes back and set things up a lot

this is where I planned to set the tent up
04A8FB27-C48E-439B-8298-C1105EB428C0.jpeg

And this was everything from under the stairs
99C32B1F-DA2E-4EE5-8586-90E2F8B20CB4.jpeg

I decided to save space and put the fan and filter

FA0D9214-1A5F-4784-973B-724AFF9497B6.jpeg

I am very ocd about my grow space and it took me 20 times re running wires , I wasted 100 zip ties cause it just wasn’t perfect for me
7747AD3E-EF55-43F8-B8B8-62A4EE29B151.jpeg

It’s coming together
A1BB4E2D-E9AF-43BF-83DC-A59B2EC33EF3.jpeg

Yess ! Now my lights
821E9E47-A580-4799-B4C2-D005451F123F.jpeg

I turned the space under my stairs my soil and water station , i
A07AC129-ECD1-4214-872C-13BBA62E2EF6.jpeg

finally everything is perfect
F7E78755-56E8-42D2-AB97-EA488596C92B.jpeg

2DE9ED43-5B7D-4D4C-9277-A6DF722EEDCE.jpeg

I’m walking on sunshine
88E643D7-C3AD-49F0-B08E-96A4082808CB.jpeg

So this is my grow space , thanks for taking the time out of y’all’s day to check out my journal , I really appreciate all of you who take the time , just don’t forget to show your boy some love

growmies of the world Unite-kaligrownbudz

Nice set up brother! Looks clean!

I had to go back up and see how tall your tent is. Looks a lot shorter in the the pictures lol. If your a crafty person you could build yourself a 32-36” tall platform for your tent to sit on (as long as your tbar ceiling will allow such thing. Gets you up off the ground, as well as your plants. You could also build some cupboard space below. For nutrients or which ever! :thumb:

sorry buddy, my mind starts thinking about something I can build. I love to build things.

Nice set up brother! Looks clean!

I had to go back up and see how tall your tent is. Looks a lot shorter in the the pictures lol. If your a crafty person you could build yourself a 32-36” tall platform for your tent to sit on (as long as your tbar ceiling will allow such thing. Gets you up off the ground, as well as your plants. You could also build some cupboard space below. For nutrients or which ever! :thumb:

sorry buddy, my mind starts thinking about something I can build. I love to build things.
Thanks brother , it’s works good for me I’m not 5’2 I can stand inside of it embarrassing enough , it would be nice it it was a foot off the ground , build a cloning and storage spot , I like your ideas bud thanks, I downsized from a 4x4x7’ I just wanted to master it on a smaller scale if that makes sense , but I got the tent to grow indica strains it’s what I prefer , but I wanted to try growing a sativa , I’m gonna get an indica dom Clone to add to the run hopefully . Thanks for your ideas man

Any time buddy!! I think a nice 12” platform would do you good! Save your back... nice thing about it being on carpet is when your kneeling looking at the plants it’s nice and soft. My ingenuity kicks in and sees a platform off the ground (with all the benefits of that) and like you said, you could also build a light proof 12” stand or so and have a nice veg/cloning station! :yahoo:

anyways, I like your set up, super clean! Looks great bro!

November 15/19

UPDATE: hey everyone it’s been 8 days since the last update and a lot has happened. I decided to put a humidity dome over the girls in the space bucket , in an attempt to keep the environment dialled in, I ran my inline fans probe into the dome through the top to see what’s going on without having to interrupt the environment while trying to check a hydrometer inside the humidity dome. I decided to put the space bucket in my tent to try and keep night temps a little more regulated and to clean things up . I also installed a 4” fan on my space bucket to keep temps in check inside the dome.

ENVIRONMENT: With lights on temps are between 27-29 degrees Celsius with a Relative humidity @ 78% and with lights off temps are @ 24 degrees Celsius and a relative humidity of 80% .( I have it timed so a heat Matt comes on half hour before lights off , and shuts off an hour after they turn on to help keep night temps from dropping like crazy)

FEEDING- I know I’m going get picked apart by this by a few folks , but one of my plants will be a true living organics grow , with supersoil , no TIL worms and bugs and all that jazz and my other will by my tried and true organic supersoil with gaja green amendments , no worms
So my veg ratio is 75% all purpose 4-4-4 and 25% power bloom 2-8-4 / pre flower is 50/50 and flower ratio is 75% 2-8-4/25% 2-8-4 . My soil currently has perlite but will be switching to lava rock crushed when I can afford to replace my soil supply . I will be using a thick layer

WATERING- II will be watering this whole grow with non ph’d water , I will test to see where it’s at it’s usually at 6.9-7.0 after being dechlorinated.

This this is a life saver , really helps keep everything in point
A4C30D97-E159-4DC2-98C2-05EC28765C6A.jpeg

Here we are phenos #1 and #2
A55DC1EB-9DB7-423F-A874-0D7702BC1DAA.jpeg

Things are coming along great
821BD78B-5140-4EEF-9CA1-5B03B566C831.jpeg

ASD#1
FD33E71D-8338-4809-9438-D8B2FA8C5C5A.jpeg

ASD#2
7B9C22A7-9C16-4440-BCBE-6AF740614568.jpeg

Moby Dick XXL AUTO
1E869747-9ECB-4B0E-8E0D-DCD67C73A86B.jpeg

I’m getting it’s final pot , 3 gal fabric pot , I will throw some red wigglers into the supersoil/ compost mix with hay mulch I think 3 gal is a little small for a “no till” but I'm just gonna

2254B472-60AC-4CD1-9210-97CBED4B2108.jpeg

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to read myself blabbering on about my amateur at best organic ish grow , I really appreciate all of you feedback , the more brutally honest the better . Anyway I hope y’all have a wonderful day :peace:

“GROWMIES OF THE WORKD..... UNITE “-kaligrownbudz

Looking good dean..little chlorine never hurt no cannabis plants from my experience
Thanks joe , your absolutely right joe, but it will kill the microbial life in my soil , in which I depend on, it’s all apart of the great soil food web my friend. My first grow I used Dutch style nutes and I didn’t bother with decolonization of the water but my plants also looked like shit by harvest , the buds were nice but all my fan leafs were toasted , I learned a lot about getting rid of salts on that one. Anyway hope all is well brother

NOVEMBER 11/16/19

JOURNAL UPDATE #4

:welcome:

Hey everyone welcome to my journal, I hope ya’lol have had a good week with lots of progress in all of your grows as well. I just want to take the time to let you guys and gals know how much I appreciate your advice and support .

Amendments/ Soil preparation -
On November 15 i prepped three 3 gal pots , 2 for veg for my amhurst sour d , and one for my moby dick XXl auto.
Amendments list -
#1 gaja green all purpose 4-4-4 derived from Certified organic alfalfa meal, basalt rock dust, blood meal, bone meal, feather meal, fishbone meal, fossilized carbon complex, glacial rock dust, greensand, gypsum, insect frass, kelp meal, mined potassium sulphate, mineralized phosphate, oyster shell flour, rock phosphate
#2 gaja green power bloom 2-8-4 derived from Basalt rock dust, bone meal, sterilized feather meal, fish bone meal, humic acid, glacial rock dust, greensand, gypsum, insect frass, kelp meal, mined potassium sulphate, mineralized phosphate, rock phosphate.
#3 Spanish river carbonate plus 0.30-0.04-0.20 You guys need to check this company out , this stuff is phenomenal
#4 some old and new organic super-soil I have been adding organic matter to and regularly dosing with compost tea .
#5 local hay from a farm up the road
#6 worm castings bought and from my worm farm

For my moby dick XXl i had 1.5 gal of medium pre amended and cooked with 75% power bloom and 25% all purpose ( my flower ratio) I put that in the bottom of my fabric pot, I put a layer of hay for my humus layer and on top I filled it with my veg ration 75% all purpose and 25% power bloom . I transplanted her on November 16th into her final pot. I put a 1/4 cup of worm castings from my worm farm which is crawling with life , I hope to creat a complet soil food web in each and every pot . I hope I won’t have to re amend this auto .

My Amherst sour diesel I did the same thing as above but with only 75% 4-4-4 all purpose and 25% 2-8-4, SRC Plus 0.30-0.04-0.20 I also put a humus layer in each pot .

Before I amend all my soil I brew a compost tea , once amended and the tea is brewed I water in the tea and let it cook I monitor them regularly and put a garbage bag over it to keep moisture in as long as possible
038C79AB-0C96-4183-B555-E065A26837A9.jpeg

14E04B0F-9C76-415C-8387-A6ACFCED9C5A.jpeg

741B0AB3-A61E-44C1-89B4-FAC8B02867F6.jpeg

B9BC2511-8527-4F19-8407-1554574C9795.jpeg

E608EAA9-D1B3-4331-A3EE-0A5D9A57ED78.jpeg

EC6544A7-702E-4811-9E0D-4358399EFF46.jpeg
23FECFA1-035F-496E-979A-47503C86251C.jpeg

E0FFE3BA-37F6-475C-A949-4AE230BF4367.jpeg

4CD383C1-F51B-4D80-96F5-48460F3DFE4F.jpeg

I have been pretty busy so I couldn’t get the update up when it was happening , it’s now nov 25 and I’m just getting these up my next update is going to be a big jump ahead to today the 25th thanks for checking out my journal.

November 11/25/19

Journal update #5

hey everyone welcome again :welcome: this will be an actual update on the plants and where there at right now , I just didn’t want to do this update without showing how it got to here

Environment- when lights are on humidity In my humidity domes are at 65-75% and temps are in between 25-28 degrees . When lights are off temps are at 25-26 but I do have heat pads that turn on half hour before lights off and half hour after the turn on to keep things from fluctuating so much , it’s hard in a Canadian basement considering they get so cold at times .

Watering- I have just been taking it real easy on my auto the soil is staying moist with its mulch layer but I am doing a couple ounces of water a day with a turkey baster , and just misting the top once a day

my Amherst sour diesel’s have been getting watered every 3 days , and then every 2 days , as soon as the are using all their water daily I will transplant to 1 gal pots, and once they outgrow those I will put them in the 3 gal fabric pots ( I just want them to get atleast 4 weeks before I plant in them

well here’s all the girls ,

this is my moby dick XXl auto ( I only got 1 oz of my last and I’ve seen people get half ps so I messed up big time)

if you check the last moby pick there is it’s first pistol showing the stretch is about to start , it’s at its 6th or 7th node now .

do I call this day one flower or do I call it after the stretch is done please help guys and gals??

EC9B30B7-A48A-4AAE-AC26-3C4CA7F905E0.jpeg

5B6732D2-A5CA-41F8-B3EB-CFCEFAEF6DFA.jpeg

6ED26C79-D2FE-4AB2-A12E-3BCC447CF782.jpeg

Pistols

8790AEB9-0402-4A81-9A44-CA2F5F4A2ADA.jpeg

Asd pheno#1
9C2B8FBA-77C6-480E-A507-D788C03EF250.jpeg

Asd pheno #2
EC890DB2-D822-4442-8D49-D1DD66F0DD7D.jpeg

Top of #1 this has been glitchy for me lately and hard to make things look

C667EDD4-F77B-4E91-8E1C-57E65E4EBB31.jpeg

Top of #2
929BDD85-4C23-4890-A965-98517058AE79.jpeg

This Amherst sour D is an 80% sativa 20% indica it seems like number one has the indica type leaves , and this number 2 has more sativa like leaves sweet

next update I will be transplanting up

thanks for stopping by everyone , I really appreciate all the love and support
Peace out brothers and sister of the 420 fam :peace:

Any time buddy!! I think a nice 12” platform would do you good! Save your back... nice thing about it being on carpet is when your kneeling looking at the plants it’s nice and soft. My ingenuity kicks in and sees a platform off the ground (with all the benefits of that) and like you said, you could also build a light proof 12” stand or so and have a nice veg/cloning station! :yahoo:

anyways, I like your set up, super clean! Looks great bro!
I really wish I had the tools to make something like this , when my dad passed away I was supposed to get a bunch of stuff but my other brother felt like he deserved it more cause he wasn’t as close to dad , so I didn’t argue it not worth the time . Just would have been nice to use my dads old stuff know what I mean , thanks for taking the time to show some support along the way I really do appreciate it brother

Hey @Emilya i know your very busy but if you have the time can you look over at what I’m doing and let me know if I have grasped the TLO on this one , I put a lot of work to get here since you picked my last grow apart which I really appreciate the hell out of that, only way for me to improve my grows. Anyways thanks
I like where you are going with this one and let me jump right out of the gate concerned that you are not yet creating enough microbes and relying on the mineralized soil, and you are still trying to feed the plants yourself with the 5-5-5. Your tea looked to be the right color and probably had a lot of good stuff in it, but I noted the lack of foam which would have indicated a strong population of microbes.... how big of an air pump do you have in there? Have you looked up and gotten the components to make some of the high power compost teas that we use in TLO... these recipes will assure that you have the correct microbes coming in to do your work for you. It really is super important to brew up exactly the microbes that feed on the things that your plants are needing right now... and just a basic tea with EWC and a few other random components is not going to provide what it takes.

Back
Top Bottom