Growing colas

ripmax

hi guys i was just wondering if any knows the best way to grow ur main cola on ur plant,or should i say to maximise it.

any help would be great.Do u grow it up or sideways or tie it down do u stretch it ?

Removeing most of the lower branches will redistribute the plants energy into the main cola. Bending the top cola to a 90 degree angle will also increase the size. :smokin:

remove all side growth at the onset of flowering then when the plant finishes bolting(10 to 15 days in) remove all fruiting sights except the tips of each branch leaving only five or so fruiting sights on the entire plant. do the cola this way too. the result is an increase in yield and bud size.

if you simply prune at the onset of flowering the plant will have time to recover. it will branch out . if you are spacing your plants extremely close and want just a cola, you must do a second pruning where you again remove all the bottom growth leaving just the leader. otherwise there will be side branching. i give each plant 1 square foot to grow in . i veg till 10" then bud. i prune them at the onset to the top leader. then ten days in i decide how many fruiting sights i want depending on how much space i give them. if i am packing them in (4") then i prune right to the top again (one cola) if i am using more space , i advance more leaders. i still remove all the fruiting sights to the tips of each branch. the result is a nice fat bud on the end of every branch. this pruning technique increases overall yield . it works for outdoor as well.

if you are using H.I.D. lighting you will see no delay. the buds actually grow faster as they are the only sites left and the same root system is able to supply more nutrients to these flowering tips . staking your plants is nessesary as the buds get rather phat. it is simply a matter of deciding how many leaders to advance . each branch being a potential leader. if you are going tight on your spacing then advance just one leader. six inch spacing ...one leader and two side branches . twelve inch... five to seven leaders. etc.

this thechnique is used by most of the pros. i don't know if the people at trichome tech are still around but they had an in detail approach to this ;although, i would go a little more radical than them on pruning, as i have laid out . my tech gives off a shorter fatter bud as opposed to long and thin.

o.k. i'm going to get on it and round up a little scene. if you can wait a week or so , i'll start a grow journal complete with pics showing how to grow this way from beginning to end. it'll take me a while to root some cuttings so bare with me and the secret of the big buds will be revealed to all!!:peace:

Grow 12/12 from seed. The plant will produce one main cola. All the plants energy will go into this cola.

Yep! And you require 2 to 3 times "more" plants to equal the same yield one could get from a couple of bigger plants. In the USA plant count matters big time. Especially to the feds. 100 or more plants is a almost guarantee that the feds will be involved even if your state or local government drops all charges. But even the local LEO's will think your a big time grower if you have a lot of plants. Doesn't matter how big they get to them. Just how many there are.
One should consider this when starting to grow. That's one reason scrogs are so great. Big yields with only a couple plants. IMO one should be more concerned with getting a large quality yield from each harvest rather than trying to get more harvests with smaller yields. Just my opinion.

Yep! And you require 2 to 3 times "more" plants to equal the same yield one could get from a couple of bigger plants

Whether I grow 18/6 or grow 12/12, there are still the same amount of plants in the grow space at any one time, so makes no difference to me regarding police and plant count. If LEO does call, at least I won't have lots of weed from my last "huge" harvest.

IMO one should be more concerned with getting a large quality yield from each harvest rather than trying to get more harvests with smaller yields

Advantages of growing 12/12

1. I have a crop ready every 11 or 12 weeks
2. I save a hell of a lot of money on electricity and nutes
3. Equipment lasts longer (bulbs 2 times longer)
3. Plants are not competing for light so buds are denser
4. Better air flow, less chance of mould
5. I can add plants at any time; they're all on the same cycle

Why should one be concerned with getting large harvests as opposed to more smaller harvests ? I've done the math and by the time you take crop cycle time and money savings into consideration there is very little in the difference :smokin:

Whether I grow 18/6 or grow 12/12, there are still the same amount of plants in the grow space at any one time, so makes no difference to me regarding police and plant count. If LEO does call, at least I won't have lots of weed from my last "huge" harvest.

Advantages of growing 12/12

1. I have a crop ready every 11 or 12 weeks
2. I save a hell of a lot of money on electricity and nutes
3. Equipment lasts longer (bulbs 2 times longer)
3. Plants are not competing for light so buds are denser
4. Better air flow, less chance of mould
5. I can add plants at any time; they're all on the same cycle

Why should one be concerned with getting large harvests as opposed to more smaller harvests ? I've done the math and by the time you take crop cycle time and money savings into consideration there is very little in the difference :smokin:

Do and believe what you want to. I don't need to grow a huge number of plants to get a yield, I use a total of 1k HPS and 2 65 watt floros ever and harvest 4 to 5 plants equaling well over a lb of product every 10 to 11 weeks. I can say to any and all if anything were to happen that I "ONLY" had 4 or 5 plants and that's the total count that would be reported. Not 15 or 20 plants which is what is needed when growing 12/12.
I've done the math as well and all the numbers tell me that in a country where plant numbers count "against" you, having higher plant numbers than necessary seems to not be the smartest thing to do.
Just my thoughts and ideas. (opinions)

Back
Top Bottom