Growing for yourself: what would it cost

KrunckleSam

I’m at $500. for my first grow (expenses only.) and anyone wanting to grow- can see my “first time” results. (My grow is tagged underneath my name.)

My experience-
I’m using 3 different strains for my grow. This grow features 3 plants started from a seed. Cost? $9. Per seed (U.S.)

I put $5. (Divided per plant. $15. Total $) in fertilizer. I used only 3 seeds. The seed were guaranteed to sprout... And they did.

Everyone of the 3 are female, purchased 420, and I have many more seeds for future plants... 12 Seeds left, to be exact.

Each plant is priceless but I estimate the total cost of $30 each.

Is that good or bad? We won’t know until yield. We can roughly value it at $50. Per quarter, “Roughly.”

Right now we pay about $90. Per quarter at an Ohio dispensary.

#legalOHIOgrow

I don’t live in Ohio though, I live in the check republic :)

My thought on this when starting out was that if I broke even on initial expense to harvest worth then I'd be happy. Each grow after would then be much cheaper. Luckily it did work out that way. 1st grow yielded close to twice my initial investment. 2nd and 3rd even better.

initial gearing up is expensive. once done expense gets better, though nearly all med / hobby growers will go through one or two grow methods before settling. that can be expensive.

then there are desired upgrades once you get the grow style set. newer / better lights etc, and don't forget replacing worn out gear.

it's best not to track expense. cannabis growing is more about adopting a healthier approach and outlook. your entire lifestyle adapts. it's much much more than what you possibly saved on sad over the counter junk. :)

My thought on this when starting out was that if I broke even on initial expense to harvest worth then I'd be happy. Each grow after would then be much cheaper. Luckily it did work out that way. 1st grow yielded close to twice my initial investment. 2nd and 3rd even better.
That’s what I want everyone to know!!! We spend between $32-48. here on a tenth (yeah a fucking tenth!) That’s $300 per ounce and even if you buy bulk you really don’t save! This is from a $135 half ounce of Wonka Bars (medical) and I pulled out this much trash (not to mention I had already pulled off a lot of trim before I weighed it.)

So, in conclusion-
Grow for yourself, stay within the law (or at least keep penalties to the same as a speeding ticket. #misdemeanor.) Don’t tell your buddies...

After initial cost (way the hell cheaper ^than that^). You spend about $30 per plant. Check what the real growers on here do, you’re looking at $30 for avg. 3oz.-10oz.

Did I mention, don’t tell your friends? Did I mention, don’t sell it (to people who aren’t your friends... For your friends, just tell them you got it from a guy named “Hippie.”)

Ladies and gentlemen, grow your own! Just don’t share it on a social media site. Is this a social media site? Just don’t share it on other social media sites.

Attachments

• A9EA30B3-CEB5-4BAA-9B95-BAF3C07E730F.jpeg
    A9EA30B3-CEB5-4BAA-9B95-BAF3C07E730F.jpeg
    578.5 KB · Views: 43
initial gearing up is expensive. once done expense gets better, though nearly all med / hobby growers will go through one or two grow methods before settling. that can be expensive.

then there are desired upgrades once you get the grow style set. newer / better lights etc, and don't forget replacing worn out gear.

it's best not to track expense. cannabis growing is more about adopting a healthier approach and outlook. your entire lifestyle adapts. it's much much more than what you possibly saved on sad over the counter junk. :)
While I agree with you. I disagree in that- Someone who thinks growing is too expensive for them, now they can see the cost involved. They can look at my journal and they can see, for what they spend in 2 months (where I live, using 1 quarter’ish per week.) They can buy everything and be smoking their own in about 3 months.

This plant did this for me-
I took 3 BP medications. I now take none (results could vary.)
I took anti-anxiety med. (not any more.)
I couldn’t sleep and keep a regular schedule. (I do now.)

plus I enjoy getting high and would rather leave the red tape to the dispensaries.

While I agree with you. I disagree in that- Someone who thinks growing is too expensive for them, now they can see the cost involved. They can look at my journal and they can see, for what they spend in 2 months (where I live, using 1 quarter’ish per week.) They can buy everything and be smoking their own in about 3 months.

This plant did this for me-
I took 3 BP medications. I now take none (results could vary.)
I took anti-anxiety med. (not any more.)
I couldn’t sleep and keep a regular schedule. (I do now.)

plus I enjoy getting high and would rather leave the red tape to the dispensaries.

errr -- kind of on the same side of the coin Krunckle
i've got it as cheap and simple as it gets @KrunckleSam lol lol lol :p

couple dollars at best of one nutrient from start to finish. 2L pots. that's a pop bottle. 3 bucks worth of perlite -maaaybe - i get 120L bales of perlite for $30cdn.

pots and drain trays from la dollar store.. :cheesygrinsmiley:

getting the spaces set to support the grow is much more more involved. but worth it in every step. as most growers ultimately experience. near everything i do is self built, which is what you will find among the majority.

the upshot is all things good about growing can be accessible to anyone. in large part to places like :420:

:green_heart:

I spent on my first grow.
$450 for two lights 600w total (lasted 4 years)
$225 Dehumidifier (still humming along)
About $75 for soil, fabric pots and a Nectar for the gods sample pack of nutrients.
$20 two fans
About $180 in electricity for lights and dehumidifier for 4 months.

So probably just under $1000 total for first grow.
I got 19 oz from two plants of top shelf bud that would easily cost $350 oz buying it on the street anywhere around here.
So got $6,650 worth of bud for $1000

Ever since I've averaged about $8-$10 an oz is about what I am paying to grow way better than what I'd ever get from a dispensary.

errr -- kind of on the same side of the coin Krunckle
i've got it as cheap and simple as it gets @KrunckleSam lol lol lol :p

couple dollars at best of one nutrient from start to finish. 2L pots. that's a pop bottle. 3 bucks worth of perlite -maaaybe - i get 120L bales of perlite for $30cdn.

pots and drain trays from la dollar store.. :cheesygrinsmiley:

getting the spaces set to support the grow is much more more involved. but worth it in every step. as most growers ultimately experience. near everything i do is self built, which is what you will find among the majority.

the upshot is all things good about growing can be accessible to anyone. in large part to places like :420:

:green_heart:
Those are some beautiful buds!

I spent on my first grow.
$450 for two lights 600w total (lasted 4 years)
$225 Dehumidifier (still humming along)
About $75 for soil, fabric pots and a Nectar for the gods sample pack of nutrients.
$20 two fans
About $180 in electricity for lights and dehumidifier for 4 months.

So probably just under $1000 total for first grow.
I got 19 oz from two plants of top shelf bud that would easily cost $350 oz buying it on the street anywhere around here.
So got $6,650 worth of bud for $1000

Ever since I've averaged about $8-$10 an oz is about what I am paying to grow way better than what I'd ever get from a dispensary.
Nice! I wish everyone started growing it, the world would be a better place without the tax and dispensary gouging. lol

Those are some beautiful buds!
I’m cheaper though! Lol.

Really though, I’m only here to share a medical grow (self -righteous... ness.) I want every medical user to be able to grow. And, know it’s more affordable to grow their own. Or instead, be overcharged, pay taxes, and have no legal access without government over-site.

Hey Bluter - where did you get your perlite??? I've had no luck finding big bags - Thanx!!

i grab it from a local irrigation, landscape, and garden supply company. stay out of the big box and hydro stores if you want to save some dollars.

I paid an average of $10 a gram plus tax for my medication, plus delivery. Spent close to $8000 inside of one year buying my medication through licensed producers. Growing outdoors or in a tent wasn't an option (due to space), so I spent a very high amount to build my own "smart" grow cabinet. Just finished my first harvest, I got 299 grams. That's close to $3000 it would have cost me, so my cabinet is paying for itself is how I look at it.

Here is the cost analysis of my very 1st grow about 8 years ago... Obviously your first grow will have the most costs associated with it, but every grow afterwords will be much cheaper since you don't have to repurchase the equipment. I also opted for "used equipment" whenever I could find it.

Here is the link to the grow journal: 1st Medical Grow, 3 Strains in 2x4 Hydrohut

here is the final weigh in....

2x Chemband's
260g. dry

2x University Hill's OG's
177g dry

2x Blue dragons
137g dry (usuable)
22g (Unseeded buds from hermie plant)(should be fine smoked)(not added to total yield)
23g (seeded from hermie plant)(for use as edibles/butter)(not added to total yield

Total Yield dry for this grow = 574g = 20.5oz = 1.25lbs
(this figure may change slighly due to slight weight loss during curing process.... also a good 19g's went to test smoking....not included in total (estimate)....

Cost of project:
  • 250$ (600w ballast with air cooled hood, carbon filter, 4" fan, one 600w Ushio HPS + 1 400w Ushio HPS)
  • 250$(400w HPS ballast, cool tube, 400w Ushio HPS, grow tent, 6" fan)
  • 40$ semi used carbon scrubber
  • 60$ hanna ph meter
  • 20$ hanna ppm meter
  • 30$1 box dual layer 25x6" flexible ducting
  • 80$ est..Earthjuice nutrients (grow, bloom, catalyst, metak, micro)
  • 20$Europonic humic acid
  • 14$ x 2 Unsulphered molassas
  • 25$ Bio Weed and Bio Root by GOrganics
  • 15$ Botanicare cal mag
  • 30$ Hygrowzyme
  • 20$ Soil ph/moisture probes 2x
  • 30$ 6x 5 gallon pots
  • 25$ 6x 3 gallon pots
  • 20$ 1 bag happy frog soil
  • 12$ 1 bag organic compost
  • 12$ 1 bag earthworm casings
  • 15$ 1 bag perlite
  • 50$ est. guano's (peruvian seabird, indonesian bat, mexican bat, jamaican bat)
  • 40$ 2x airstones, 2x air pumps
  • 8$ 2x 5 gallon buckets
  • 25$ ph meter calibration liquids ph 7.01 and ph 4.01
  • 65$ clones
  • 20$ scrog screen construction
  • 15$ drying box construction
  • 40$ glass storage jars
  • 150$ distilled water...estimate for cycle
  • 360$ electricity (estimate) (increase in electric from around 70$/month to $150/month = 90$ extra per month x 4 months
  • 30$ trimming scissors 2x
  • $8 mosquito dunks
  • 8$ yellow sticky cards
  • 6$ pyrethium spray
  • 8$ neem oil
  • 40$ ona gel 2x
there may be other things i am forgetting but I believe this is the most of it...

Total estimated cost from start up to finish= $1841.00 +/- about 100$

Total Cost= 1841$
Cost per gram = $3.21 (1841/574g.)
grams per watt = .574
grams per kilowatt hour (estimated .301g) ( 77 days of 12/12 at 1000w)= 924kwh (for flower) + 91 days 18/6, Half at 400w, half at 800w = 982.8kwh for veg. Total kilowatt hours estimated 1906.8Kwh

Since about $1000 or more of this was equipment that does not have to be replaced, if harvested about the same amount, the next grow would only cost about $1.46 per gram... estimated...

Now that I have been growing for quite a while, switched to LED lights and lowered my energy consumption, my cost of growing really is just replacing soil each cycle (about $60 total per cycle) and whatever nutrients I may be out of.. (maybe $100 per cycle). Its extremely cheap to grow now. I also stopped buying "distilled water" and invested about $200 into a R/O system which has saved me a ton of money, and also allows me nice clean great tasting drinking water.

Hope this is helpful.

Since my first attempt in 2016, I think I have spent only about $80 at the most for things specifically for growing.

A pair of $30 grow lamps for the grow room my little brother set up in the basement when he had this house, and whatever the 100 foot roll of cage wire for the secure enclosure we insisted on having for our plants. That was probably about $40 or $50.

Seeds were either gifted to me, or were found in bags of weed purchased at the dispensary; opportunity seeds I call them. So no cost there. Never bothered with nutrients, fertilizer (except a mashed up mix of coffee grounds and egg shells some times). or life support or any other fancy gear.

And to top it off, my 2019 harvest, which I still haven't finished processing yet) has saved me at least $600 plus fuel on dispensary weed. Probably would have made two trips so far this year otherwise, for 2 ounces at $150 each (unless they have a really exceptional $100 ounce). And probably by the end of the year, we will have saved about $900 or even a full $1000 on pro weed. I do have one trip's worth budgeted just in case we want some fresh material anyway, and a chance at more seeds and additional genetic material; and we probably will before the weather starts getting craptacular for Winter.

I am currently in the middle of my grow. I started with nothing, and I think I have spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,500 - $1,800. (Without knowing the electric bill:nervous-guy:)

A typical oz where I live is anywhere from 240 - 400. So for me the investment made sense. I am currently growing 4 plants with the hopes that i can draw 4 oz per plant at a minimum. That gives me 16 oz at 240 per oz. that's roughly $3,840 worth I would have spend if i kept buying.

This one grow, if successful, will pay for EVERYTHING. The the best part, I have 16 more seeds. Only thing I will be buying is my FF ocean soil for each grow. That's a mere 40.00 a bag. As others have stated, its not all about the money, it is about the ride of growing your own and KNOWING what your smoking and the quality. :Namaste: :bongrip: :lot-o-toke: :bong:

But, saving a ton of cash and have my private collection of varying bud is priceless.

Since my first attempt in 2016, I think I have spent only about $80 at the most for things specifically for growing.

A pair of $30 grow lamps for the grow room my little brother set up in the basement when he had this house, and whatever the 100 foot roll of cage wire for the secure enclosure we insisted on having for our plants. That was probably about $40 or $50.

Seeds were either gifted to me, or were found in bags of weed purchased at the dispensary; opportunity seeds I call them. So no cost there. Never bothered with nutrients, fertilizer (except a mashed up mix of coffee grounds and egg shells some times). or life support or any other fancy gear.

And to top it off, my 2019 harvest, which I still haven't finished processing yet) has saved me at least $600 plus fuel on dispensary weed. Probably would have made two trips so far this year otherwise, for 2 ounces at $150 each (unless they have a really exceptional $100 ounce). And probably by the end of the year, we will have saved about $900 or even a full $1000 on pro weed. I do have one trip's worth budgeted just in case we want some fresh material anyway, and a chance at more seeds and additional genetic material; and we probably will before the weather starts getting craptacular for Winter.
Nice! I love it!

I am currently in the middle of my grow. I started with nothing, and I think I have spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,500 - $1,800. (Without knowing the electric bill:nervous-guy:)

A typical oz where I live is anywhere from 240 - 400. So for me the investment made sense. I am currently growing 4 plants with the hopes that i can draw 4 oz per plant at a minimum. That gives me 16 oz at 240 per oz. that's roughly $3,840 worth I would have spend if i kept buying.

This one grow, if successful, will pay for EVERYTHING. The the best part, I have 16 more seeds. Only thing I will be buying is my FF ocean soil for each grow. That's a mere 40.00 a bag. As others have stated, its not all about the money, it is about the ride of growing your own and KNOWING what your smoking and the quality. :Namaste: :bongrip: :lot-o-toke: :bong:

But, saving a ton of cash and have my private collection of varying bud is priceless.
Another success story! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom