Growing Hemp

EmeraldFreeze

I live in the state of Washington and was doing some research on growing industrial hemp. I'm new to growing hemp/marijuana in general and was looking for some guidance from more experienced members in the forums. I'd honestly feel, after doing some reading, that industrial hemp will take off here in Washington State and has the potential of being more profitable than even MMJ once it becomes legal (SB 5012 is in the House I believe). I would like to start a business in this industry growing and processing (from paper, milk, rope, etc.), was looking for resources that can at least get the ball rolling in my familiarization with this plant. I know I'm being ambitious but I guess that's what you get when you're a broke college student!

Happy Trails and look forward to some great advice!

I live in the state of Washington and was doing some research on growing industrial hemp. I'm new to growing hemp/marijuana in general and was looking for some guidance from more experienced members in the forums. I'd honestly feel, after doing some reading, that industrial hemp will take off here in Washington State and has the potential of being more profitable than even MMJ once it becomes legal (SB 5012 is in the House I believe). I would like to start a business in this industry growing and processing (from paper, milk, rope, etc.), was looking for resources that can at least get the ball rolling in my familiarization with this plant. I know I'm being ambitious but I guess that's what you get when you're a broke college student!

Happy Trails and look forward to some great advice!

What you should do first is get sponsorship at your university from the agriculture, botany, or horticulture departments on a hemp growing project.

You should also be contacting your legislators about the merits of hemp and how hemp can bring jobs, how help can protect municipal water lens from toxins and reclaim lands poisoned by industrial waste, etc.

Finally, you need to network with the organizations pushing for passage of hemp legislation. The contacts you make in the local hemp lobby and state agriculture will help you get on the ground floor of the hemp industry once it becomes legal in your state. You need these contacts so you can be the first in line to apply for licensing and state approved seeds. Usually, there is a line of people applying for limited amounts of licenses.

Should you be able to get faculty to sponsor a hemp study thesis, you will also be able to apply to get seeds via various government or university run hemp seed banks in Europe.

Good luck!

Sorry for the late response, but thanks for the solid advice! I'll definitely look into those departments and see what they have to offer once school gets back in session because I most definitely have some more I need to learn before I start contacting local representatives, but maybe that's where getting with some more knowledgeable and local hemp supporters come in. I also took a quick peek at your hemp photo journal and it looks awesome. Hopefully I'll be able to do some similar type things once/if hemp becomes legal here.

Back
Top Bottom