Growing in a 2 Room Basement?

KushZombie

I have no idea about anything. My basement has 2 rooms, the first room is 15' x 9' and the second room is 14' x 12' (I figured the second room should be used for the flowering stage since it's bigger). Both rooms are 7' tall and that's to the ceiling. I like Sativa dominant strains but is 7' even tall enough to grow Sativa? Which strains would be better for this size room? I want the best quality/yield balance I can get (preferably that leans towards being Sativa dominant).

I hear a lot of controversy between using fluorescent and using metal halide (I live in Texas so I'm trying to keep the electricity down...but I'm still trying to get "blow your mind" weed)? And I'm guessing I'm supposed to use hps for the flowering stage? What wattage should I get?

and how many plants could I grow with the size of my basement (I was thinking around 16 in one room for vegetating and 16 in the other room for flowering)?

Should I use some type of white plastic to cover all of the walls, floor, and ceiling to keep it clean and reflect as much light as I can?

Is Aero, Hydro, or Soil better for what I'm trying to do? (I want to go completely organic if that makes any difference)

What kind of materials does the ROOM need? (good fans for ventilation, Air conditioning, something for the odor, etc.)

Basically if you were in my position and you had this basement just begging to be grown in, what would you do with it and how would you do it? (without having a HUGE electric bill preferably)

Links to things such as lights, seeds, etc. are greatly appreciated as well. :Namaste:

Welcome and good luck to you. I'm a new grower and have just started my second grow and my recommendation to you is don't worry about setting up the entire grow space at the start. Just start a grow and spend time here at 420 reading and learning, will help you better know what your style of growing is going to be. A 600w light is a good sized starting light for hps/metal halide combination. Each method of growing has its own strengths and weakness so that choice really is personal preference, but soil is the simplest to get started. By running just one light you will be able to discover the challenges your grow space offers (heat control, ventilation issues, electric bills) that will help in the design of maximizing the space you have to work with.

Welcome to :420: Kushzombie :welcome: Glad you could join us here at the foremost site for all things cannabis! If you like you can also post a bit about yourself in the Introduce yourself forum which is a great way to strike up conversations with many knowledgeable peeps. There are also some handy links in the New Member Start Links thread to help you navigate the rest of the site.

Usually I do my early veg under CFL's. I did recently get a MH though and the plants love it, but it runs really hot, so that may not be ideal for your climate. Have you considered using LED's? They are definitely worth a look. :)

:peace: :Namaste:

Thank you guys :allgood:
And I don't know a whole lot about LED other than it keeps the electric bill down. I'm guessing I would use it for the vegetating stage? And aren't CFL's those swirley looking light bulbs? lol
What would be the best lighting for me to use for the flowering stage to keep the electric bill down

When you say hps/mh combination what exactly do you mean? Just switching from one to the other or all in one?

You just change out the bulb. Most led lights can be used from sprout to harvest. Check out our sponsor topled. I use the Mars II 400, and it's kicking ass! And at 200 bucks, you really can't beat that.

You just change out the bulb. Most led lights can be used from sprout to harvest. Check out our sponsor topled. I use the Mars II 400, and it's kicking ass! And at 200 bucks, you really can't beat that.

I didn't know people used it from sprout to harvest though :yikes:
I checked out the light you were talking about and I have a quick question though. I noticed it has 3 different spectrums Mars II 400w Standard, Vege, and Flower. the vege spectrum is obviously blue and white and the flower spectrum is red, white, and infared. Does this mean I'd need to buy 2 different LED lights? and what would the standard do? just a regular white light? Also how many plants should you be able to grow under the 400w? That light has a lot of good reviews though, I appreciate you pointing it out because I'm completely clueless about brands and which lights would work. And if I can actually do LED from start to finish then that's beautiful because that'll keep the electric bill where I need it and the heat down since I'm in West Texas lol

How much are you spending?
I'd do t5's for veg and led for flower.
7' tall grow what ever you want just prune when the time comes.

What does prune mean? Haha sorry, I know I sound ignorant but I had to think of old people and prune juice when you said that. As far as how much I'm spending, this is a project I'm planning on doing in a year or so. I'm just trying to get a firm grasp of what I want and what I'm looking for so I don't feel as helpless when the time comes. I would like to say $1000 would be my budget though. I would like to lol

One other thing I'd like to add that might help is the majority of LED grow lights come from China, that much I know. It might be cheaper if you just order it straight from China. The shipping will take longer but it's still free ^.^
Wholesale Led Grow Light - Buy 2014 Mar II 400w Grow Light Led 80*5w Full Spectrum for Greenhouse Project with CE,Rohs&ETL Approved Grow Light Led, $174.99 | DHgate
Here's one I found on DHgate

I wouldn't touch the lights from china
our sponsors have great customer service
and a wealth of knowledge on this board
If you're crafty build your own.
if you're growing from seed I'd still go with t5 for veg
I started with 2 shop lights (t8) just took forever to finish

Topled are sponsors and they are out of china. :)

The standard panel has lights in it to go through veg and flower. And u would order through a sponsor here, they have good deals and warranties. You ever try to ship something back to China? It'll be months before you get it back. And pruning is same as defoliation. It's just cutting off leaves so light penetrates better

Back
Top Bottom