Growing in a limited space

GroKind

I have a limited space of 18" wide x 18" deep x 36" tall (30" after HPS light). Is this going to be a big enough of a grow space? My 100 watt HPS has a metal shade w/ glass lens underneath the bulb. I will vent the box with a computer case fan. I also have (4) 2'-0" long fluors in the corners for vegging stage with mylar on the walls. How many plants can I grow and what kind of yield can I expect in this space. Just looking to grow enough for me.

GroKind: You need to do some heavey duty surfing and reading on this site, and most of your questions will be answered for you. If you look around, you will find that theoretically, you could fit 2 plants in that small space, but you'd probably have a healthier plant if you just had one, put it into flowering very young, and trimmed or trained it to grow small and bushy. If you're interested enough to ask, do some reading first. Knowledge is power dude.
Vin

you could do two if u want short and bushy like me-just my two cents

oh just prune when in veg and not a ton just enough

30 inches is still pretty small even if you're doing sea of green, budding it early, etc. You probably wouldn't yeild as much as you'd like, or as much as you could if you had a bigger place to grow.

scorpdahoodlum said:
you could do two if u want short and bushy like me-just my two cents

not in 18x18 spot... a short, bushy plant that is well trained will take up 18x18 easily...

just check out the box i used to use... 16" deep x 18" wide x 26" tall... 5-6" taken up by lights... not very big at all, but as you can see there's plenty of vertical room for the plant... because one NEVER knows how much a plant will stretch unless it's a clone from a plant they already know...

newlight.jpg

box21.jpg

yeah I suppose you could yeild a good ounce or so with 30". Just with more room you could end up yeilding 10 ounces per plant.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll go with one plant,scrog method. Force the plant to flower at a 12" height...sound right?

GroKind said:
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll go with one plant,scrog method. Force the plant to flower at a 12" height...sound right?
i don't think you quite understand the scrog method... you use the screen to train the plant to grow horizontally, staying at a certain height... you can let the plant grow as little as 2" tall while letting it grow as much as you want, although you probably want the screen somewhere at 6-8" above the pot so that you have enough room to work under it... do some more research on the scrog method... you're not going to flower AT A HEIGHT... you want to flower when the plant is getting kinda close to filling up your screen... because you're going to be KEEPING the plant at a certain height during the entire vegetative period...

I see what your saying snugglefunked,so I will pretty much fill the sreen and then force into flowering. I just didn't know when to initiate flowering I've heard that the plant can double even triple in size once you start flowering.

Yes plants can double if not triple in size. For the screen method you have to veg the plant for a lil and let it grow like Snuggle said. If u don't want to do that clip your plants and that will make it bush out more and slow it growing up a lil bit. For small spaces i like this seems to yield alot more.

yes but with scrog... if you keep the screen 8" above the pot, the plant, even if it's a stretchy sativa, will probably only gain another 10-12" or less... i mean, think about it... 10" long nuggets, every single one... but most likely it won't even get that tall... my smallest plant was 4.5" tall when started flowering it, then only grew to be about 10" tall in total... but it took up the entire 15"x18" space it had... I topped the plant and LST'd tho... Low Stress Training... essentially, just tying down your plant and each branch so that it has basically the same effect as SCROG, just not as even, and not as easy to work with... the thing is i've read in a lot of places that LST is better for seedlings and SCROG is better for clones... just the way that they grow... clones usually already have alternating nodes, and you already know how much it will stretch and how well it responds to LST... and if you have compact fluorescent bulbs to help your HPS, it keeps the nodes closer together, and the plant shorter, and more compact... compact fluoros yield compact plants...

Back
Top Bottom